Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Self: KU's Aldrich could be a top pick

NBA talk: Self says Aldrich, Collins high picks

Kansas coach Bill Self was asked where he feels junior Cole Aldrich and senior Sherron Collins will be taken in the 2010 NBA Draft. It’s all but certain the 6-foot-11 Aldrich will head to the pros after this campaign.

“I think Cole’s going to be in the discussion — I could be wrong on this — to be somewhere in those top seven or eight picks with a chance to go real, real high,” Self said. “If he has an unbelievable year, maybe he could go in the top three. If he improves at the same rate that he did last year and gets better, I think he will be a very high draft pick, but I'm not sure he's the best player on our team. I think he's the best prospect.

“I think Sherron is a fabulous college player. I think by him coming back, hopefully that will give him an opportunity to really play himself and solidify himself as a first-round draft pick, which I think he should be, if he has a good year,” Self added.

Self on the Hall of Fame Showcase opener:

“You talk about Louisville, which was a No. 1 seed last year, and they will always be a perennial Top-10 team. You talk about Arkansas, which is coached by John Pelphrey, and he will do a great job. They are getting their feet under themselves. That will be a fabulous game because both teams will play very fast and press.

“To have a doubleheader of this magnitude in front of a sold-out house, I think will definitely tip off the college basketball season right.”

More on the ’08 title game

“An immature team could not have won that game,” Self said, still amazed KU erased a nine-point deficit in the final 2:12. “Had that team not lost to Bradley and maybe to UCLA in the Elite Eight game the year before, I don't know if we would have been prepared. To see that all come together was pretty special from a coach’s perspective. To see how it happened made it more special for me personally.”

Recruiting

Self today was to make an in-home recruiting visit with the family of Josh Selby, a 6-2 senior point guard from Lake Clifton High in Baltimore.

Comments

Waylon Cook 10 years, 8 months ago

I always miss the quote where Cole said he hated the University and has to go to pros ASAP. Maybe the LJW can post it? When you write an article tell us its "possible or probable" but no reason to think he wouldn't stay. He's a big ol kid and college is only helping him get ready for his career. Something some who bolted for the pros should have realizes.

Benjamin Clay Jones 10 years, 8 months ago

Agreed. Cole is having the time of his life here on the Hill. Why should he go to work for a living sooner than he has to? Maybe he wants to stay for his senior season and challenge Bill Walton's legacy. Is there some rule that you HAVE to turn pro early if you're a lottery pick?

Jaminrawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Go get 'em coach. Selby would be a nice "get".

amw8716 10 years, 8 months ago

No reason for Cole to stay, look at what happened to Bradford and Grisham, etc. But, I would love to see him stay.

Jory Collins 10 years, 8 months ago

Come on guys, Cole will have given us 3 great years. He needs to go pro after this year for HIS future. Ask Sam Bradford if he should have come back for his junior year. He needs to take the guaranteed millions!!!!

Benjamin Clay Jones 10 years, 8 months ago

Bradford will be fine. Joe Namath busted up his knee at 'Bama and still set a record for a signing bonus w/ the Jets.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure Bill knows where Cole stands with his personal/family/financial situation. I don't think anyone complains if he "tests the waters" and comes back for a killer senior campaign. How about another chance at UNC Cole? How about Sherron playing like he did at OU all year long? I can't wait for Nov.17th, it will be a blast. Rock Chalk!

Annette Lee 10 years, 8 months ago

Bradford will be fine..Grisham maybe not.. I know this is apples and oranges but Cole and Sherron wanted a shot at the NC. Same with Bradford and Grisham...

Joe Baker 10 years, 8 months ago

Let's get through the year before we have Cole and SC drafted. I think they'll do well in the draft, but I want to win a NC. If we win a NC, their stock will rise, especially Cole's. It will definitely help Sherron too.

Self has Cole going in the top seven or eight, I see him going top five maybe higher depending on this last season.

Excited to watch this team play and believe they deserve a great season together.

RCJHKU

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 8 months ago

The only way Cole stays for his senior year is if we lose in the first or second round of the tournament and he feels a need for redemption. Otherwise he should absolutely go.

okiedave 10 years, 8 months ago

Sam Bradford took out an insurance policy to insure against any injury at O.U. that might cause him to not be an NFL draft pick. Bradford is going to be financially secure regardless of whether he is irreparably injured or not. Cole and Collins would be wise to consider the same. It may relieve the financial fear of injury.

justanotherfan 10 years, 8 months ago

Cole's earning potential will likely be at its maximum after this season. If he is going to be a top 5 pick, he should definitely go pro. Delaying any more would probably only cost him money, both in the short term and the long term.

Martin Shupert 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why Bill even answers questions about the draft. There has to be a good reason, probably to show recruits that he's fine with the idea of them leaving early. Coach is the same way for assistant coaches. You know he wants them to stay, but if he doesn't stay positive, the new talent will shy away. Trying to hold onto a player or assistant coach longer than you should will hurt the program in the end. Turnover is a part of college sports. Let's focus on this year and win ourselves a national championship and then, everyone will be satisfied with the way things work out... in come the new spokes... and the wheel keeps right on rolling.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

So if I'm Sam Bradford, after I get the policy locked in, I borrow against it and place a monster bet with a bookie in Vegas that I will be injured this coming season; then I take $100k of what I borrowed and bribe a radiologist to be ready to falsify the MRI results and give an opinion that I have a brain concussion that is so severe I have to give up the game. Then I go out and play the entire season, lead the team to the BCS championship game, kick butt in the game until the lead is iced, and then take a hit with a few minutes to go and fake a concussion. The doc says I have a career ending injury. I spend the rest of my life doing what ever I like to do and not punishing my body in the NFL and shortening both my life span by the typical average of 3 years, and not winding up with arthritis and circulatory problems and early onset alzheimers.

Not a bad plot for crime novel, really.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow, Jaybate, do you think a radiologist could be bribed for $100K in this economy? I'd think it would take at least three times that just to compensate for losses in investments, etc. in the market. Plus, after the recent scrutiny of physicians who are involved with high profile patients, the risk/reward would be much greater now.

Great plot though. Do you follow The Adventures of Guy Noire, Private Eye?

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

memhawk,

First, let me say I am a huge fan of doctors, believe them to be on average exceptional people, and this is all joking around on my part. Bradford is I am sure a good person, also, who would never consider doing such a thing.

With that caveat, the scenario's back story goes like this:

Radiologists are facing big time outsourcing of readings to India, etc.

They own enormous real estate and stock portolios that vaporized.

Medicare reimbursements for imaging do not keep up with rising overhead during the Great Stagflation.

Dr. X is living the neg and he has a daughter that wants to go to Vassar and a son at Harvard.

He foolishly bought a Bugatti Veyron just before the crash. One of its four turbochargers cracked and it will cost him a $100k to ship the car to Bugatti, get it fixed and shipped back.

And his mistress in Kingston, Jamaica wants her house redecorated.

But since this is fiction after all, such realism is sometimes not enough for willing suspension of disbelief.

Let's change the scenario as follows. Sam must bribe the radiologist in India giving the reading. He passes it on to a respected domestic neurologist, who is going through a divorce and does not study the imaging as closely as he might otherwise. :-)

Quick get the actors back on the set. We've got to reshoot this scene. :-)

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 8 months ago

What is the exchange rate for dollars to rupees now?

Maybe there's a sequel in the works, Harold and Kumar go to Norman, Oklahoma.

ABeesus 10 years, 8 months ago

The insurance company of course just meekly accepted the blurry x ray from Dr. Agupta, without GETTING ITS OWN RADIOLOGIST.

But I enjoyed the rest of the tale. Or maybe...it's prescient future foretelling?
Quick, please tell us what the Nasdaq will be 2-10-10!