Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dugan Arnett’s KU football notebook

Coaches working with CB Davis

While Clint Bowen was not exactly a fan of the penalty-prompting ways of sophomore cornerback Anthony Davis in last weekend’s season-opening victory over Northern Colorado, Bowen, the second-year Kansas University defensive coordinator, pointed out Tuesday that things could have been a lot worse.

“He came out in good position,” Bowen said. “It wasn't like one of those where you're rallying to catch up to a guy and cover your butt. The ones that discourage me are when the guy runs right by them, and they have to run to catch up, and they run into them. Those ones are like, ‘Holy cow, with a good ball, that should have been a touchdown.’”

In an unusual display last Saturday, Davis was flagged for three pass-interference penalties — two of which came on consecutive plays — and was eventually pulled in favor of transfer Calvin Rubles.

Coaches said that the issues would need to be improved before this weekend’s road matchup with Texas-El Paso, however, and that the necessary corrections were being made.

“You have to look at them from a technical standpoint, why they happen,” KU coach Mark Mangino said. “And you break it down. Coaches sit with the players and go over it and then work on it on the practice field about what fundamentally broke down that created those situations.”

As Bowen pointed out, improvement also will come with experience.

“The kid hasn’t played a lot of (college) football,” Bowen said. “That’s why they say experience makes a difference. And that’s one of those deals. Experience does make a difference. He’s played it right a million times in his life, but when things happen, they happen quick, and they don’t always work out perfect.”

Stuckey fine after late-hit penalty

A post-play shot to the knee sustained in last week’s victory won’t limit KU senior safety Darrell Stuckey against UTEP, the player said Tuesday.

The incident occurred during the third quarter of the UNC game, when Bears lineman Alex Shapiro was flagged for a 15-yard personal-foul penalty after diving into Stuckey’s legs following a play.

“Sometimes you wonder what possesses players to do certain things,” Stuckey said. “It was the same guy that was trying to block me all game and couldn’t manage to get his hands on me, and then I guess he saw an opportunity and got really focused in, channeled in, and didn’t hear the whistle at all, obviously.”

“But it’s something that happens,” he added. “Its a part of the game. (I’m) just glad that nothing severe happened out of that.”

UTEP bouncing back from season opener

Things were a little rough around the UTEP football offices this weekend — “Sunday, you could hear a pin drop in our meetings,” said Miners coach Mike Price — but players and coaches said Tuesday that the team had moved past its disappointing season-opening loss to Buffalo, which ended when an apparent game-tying touchdown was negated in the final moments because of a penalty.

The Miners wound up losing 23-17.

“I’m looking at this in rose-colored glasses today, but it was definitely a bitter pill to swallow on Saturday night and Sunday, and even today when we got to work,” Price said. “I was disappointed in myself after the game and on Sunday for not preparing our team well enough to start the game really well. But after looking at the game tape several times, I realized that we started the game very well.”

Comments

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 4 months ago

I didn't get to see the game. Did Chris Harris play, if so how did he do?

Nutflush21 10 years, 4 months ago

Harris played well enough to have an entire article written about his performance.

John Mueller 10 years, 4 months ago

If there is a student athlete at KU, in ANY sport, that is of a higher quality than Darrell Stuckey, I would like to meet he/or she.

I have never met DS, but I could not be more impressed with his ability on the field or the perception I have of him as a student athlete.

I'll take 10 more please!!

I wasn't too enamored with Mr. Davis performance the other night, but appreciate the words of both Mangino and Bowen. I really like Bowen. I know alot of folks were on him last year, but the next time you are ready to judge him, ask yourself this question:

Who has done more or cares more about KU football? you (the critic) or Clint Bowen?

I'm a buyer.

And, come to think of it, they wouldn't let me play corner in high school, let alone for a Big 12 team. Keep choppin wood, Mr. Davis!

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of Chris Harris, I was pretty critical of him. Sitting with my brother just before the game we were running through everything. We got on the subject of the secondary and I discussed how this kid how so much potential and a lot of talk about him as a freshman playing opposite of Talib. Then being dissappointed with him last year.

With that talk fresh in our minds we proceeded to see one of the finer defensive performances. Needless to say, I ate my words and became a fan of Harris again. It sure looked like we were in a 4-2-5 a lot of the day despite the coaches saying we were not implementing it (which I understand keeping it under wraps). With Harris on the field as a hybrid Nickleback-Safety operating much as a linebacker (good lord he was all over the place), we may have found a stud. He was covering sideline to sideline in the secondary, he was behind the O-Line making tackles in the backfield.

Keep it up Mr. Harris. I look forward to seeing more out of you.

number1jayhawker 10 years, 4 months ago

Harris was Defensive Player of the week for KU.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 4 months ago

I second all the comments about Chris Harris, but what I really was excited about was that I don't recall even noticing Patterson at his corner spot. The only time I noticed him was defening a pass into the end zone, which he did nicely. Maybe I missed something, but that tells me he did a nice job.

Rivethead 10 years, 4 months ago

Patterson shut down his side of the field. That's what you want out of a corner.

Dave Coen 10 years, 4 months ago

Please join DARRELL STUCKEY Fan Club (Kansas Jayhawks) on Facebook.

Aaron Carpenter 10 years, 4 months ago

I worked for the athletic department a few years ago and had the opportunity to sons a descent amount of time with Stuckey. There probably is not an athlete anywhere that I would rather have on a team than ds. He is a quality young man, and pretty funny ad well. Kerry M. Is much the same way as well. Sasha Kaun was also of the same quality, but even more so was Julian Wright. Rock Chalk!

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

I concur.... i was there and kept saying play after play.... diving into the pile... I saw a 6 and a long stick number and assumed thorton was blowing up play oafter play..... and just about everytime when the [pile cleared it was 16........

Harris was HUGE for us.... now if only we can get davis back on track.