Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How Keegan voted

The following is Tom Keegan's Sept. 8 ballot for the Associated Press college football poll.

1. Florida
20. Nebraska
21. Kansas
22. Missouri
23. UCLA
24. Notre Dame
25. Utah

Comments

bayareajhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Thank you for posting your ballot, Mr. Keegan. I appreciate the transparency. And in my humble (and probably worthless) opinion, your ballot looks pretty good. It's tough to rank teams after only one game. I am glad you resisted the apparent temptation to rank Miami after beating Florida State. What is this, 1996? FSU ain't what they used to be. Of course, neither is Miami.

b_asinbeer 10 years, 4 months ago

The only thing I don't agree with is Mizzou...beating a bad Illinois team doesn't make them top 25-worthy. At least you got Ohio State right: Not in the top 10.

hoopsdr 10 years, 4 months ago

Amen b_asinbeer...THE Ohio St University is almost as overrated as Notre Dame. I can't wait to see USC dominate the Bucks in Columbus.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

The job Coach Mark and his staff are doing is amazing...it is incredibly difficult to take a University Program with a dominant sport, like basketball and incorporate an equally dominant complement like football and vice versa...i.e. Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Indiana, UCLA recently are the elite along with KU in bball, however, their football programs range from just OK to horrible. However, KU is moving ahead on the football front.

Of course Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. will have strong programs based on sheer size and wealth however, KU is heading toward that "double elite" status enjoyed by few school!!!!!!

Scott Smetana 10 years, 4 months ago

I like it Keegan, but I'd have Okie St. above USC... at least until USC spanks Ohio St.

Jfanallways 10 years, 4 months ago

just the little issue of nebraska sitting a notch ahead of ku. but im a homer and i would give ku a firstplace vote every time. . . and probably not be on the comitte long

lee3022 10 years, 4 months ago

Nice work Mr Keegan. Thanks for sharing. I agree that Oregon (I live in Oregon) does not belong in the top 25 after Thursday's offensive fiasco. Now the race is on between Boise State, TCU and BYU to play in the Rose Bowl (assuming The PAC-10 winner goes to the BCS championship).

Obliviously no poll can get a season right this early so the next few weeks should be interesting.

judy_jayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

I just don't get why everyone insists on ranking NU over us. What have they proved?

waywardJay 10 years, 4 months ago

nothign but a name judy.... and that works out fine... gives us good motivation.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Keegan,

I can't believe you did not rank KU # 1 did you see what they did to Northern Colorado. Seriously though please respond to this. Would you lose your ability to put in a vote if you did pick say a KU to be # 1 in the polls. Do you have to be some what consistent or can you pick whatever teams you want in whatever order.

Thanks

KUFan90 10 years, 4 months ago

I'd like to hear Keegan's perspective on why he ranked NU ahead of KU.

Tom Keegan 10 years, 4 months ago

You would lose your vote if you showed blatant favoritism, but that's not why I don't show favoritism. Why play favorites? You do that and nobody believes anything about your vote. ... Heading into the season I figured KU and Nebraska were really close with KU better on offense, Nebraska better on defense. Both teams beat inferior opponents, 49-3, so no reason to move one ahead of the other. The good news for KU: If they're even, KU should win head-to-head since the game is in Lawrence.

rasta_meta 10 years, 4 months ago

I think this is a pretty accurate poll. Nice!