Thursday, September 3, 2009

KUsports.com gets ready to launch KU fan travel community

Kansas fans at KU's Memorial Stadium.

Kansas fans at KU's Memorial Stadium.

Feature

Road Hawks: The ultimate guide to KU fan travel

KU fans travel with the best of them. Join us as we build the best community for KU sports fans.

Everyone knows Jayhawk fans are among the best at traveling to support the team.

This week, KUsports.com will debut Road Hawks, an interactive, online, multimedia feature designed to help you have the best experience when you’re on the road, watching the ‘Hawks.

Road Hawks will provide readers with interesting and useful content on cities where Kansas University will play Big 12 Conference games. You can check out the best restaurants and bars in the area, find promotions from partner businesses, comment on your favorite stops in Big 12 country and get driving directions from your door to the venue.

Road Hawks will also help you orient yourself to the different Big 12 venues with photos, and eventually video, ticket information and a “Fly or Drive” meter to determine whether you’re better off taking to the air or hopping behind the wheel to see the Jayhawks.

Longtime columnist Chuck Woodling offers “Words to the Wise,” suggestions of interesting places to see in each Big 12 city and also tips on what to eat and where to go while you’re in town.

You can also hop into the time machine and view “Memorable Moments” from the KUsports.com vault, including stories, photos or video from some of the Jayhawks’ greatest games in each community.

The best part about Road Hawks, though, will be the contributions that you, the fan, make. Right now you can to leave comments on the best bets you have for each Big 12 city. In the coming days, before the first conference road game in October, you’ll be able to edit the information on the page to include photos you’ve taken and posted to Flickr, great places for an alumni tailgate and your own Jayhawk memorable moments.

You can use our message board to find a ride to a KU game and submit fan photos from trips you’ve made to see the Jayhawks.

Between now and that first conference road game, poke around Road Hawks and help us build the ultimate community for KU fans looking to travel to KU road games.

Also, look out for contests built around being a Jayhawk road warrior. Strap in and take a trip to Road Hawks.

Comments

Michael Leiker 10 years, 4 months ago

My only advice this year is not to visit the Lubbock county jail for the 2nd half of an overtime road win while trying to bail your buddy out and listening to the game on the radio through the speaker hole in the desk clerk's window after driving 14 hours to get there.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

leikness--

That's the perfect comment to post on our Lubbock page. Here's a direct link:

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Topcitykid10 10 years, 4 months ago

Have road trips lined up for the Utep, Colorado, K State Texas, Dallas on Dec 5 and whereever the bowl game is. Pretty stoked for this year.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

Topcitykid10--

If you have any recommendations on where people should stay or eat, you should post 'em to our destination pages. For instance, there's this great, deep dish pizza place on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder my friends and I would highly recommend. Of course, if you've never been there, maybe we can get you some ideas before you head out.

Manhattan: http://www2.kusports.com/destinations/road-hawks/Manhattan/ Boulder: http://www2.kusports.com/destinations/road-hawks/Boulder/ Austin: http://www2.kusports.com/destinations/road-hawks/Austin/

Jonathan

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 4 months ago

Will this be exclusively for football road games or will it be expanded to include basketball?

Mostly wondering about the 11/17 game in St. Louis.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

Memhawk-- We'll certainly include basketball conference road games. We might get to some major basketball non-conference games, but probably not all. St. Louis is my hometown — we'll probably be able to put something together, but we'll have to see how the rollout goes over the next few weeks.

Jonathan

jackconnor1 10 years, 4 months ago

Great idea, Jonathan. My only question is what schedule is posted on the Road Hawks page?

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

jack- Right now, it's pulling any KU road game in those communities, so you're seeing the first road game in any KU sport for each community. We'll probably tweak that a bit as we get this truly flying over the next few weeks. Certainly is valid feedback.

Jonathan

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if this will have a tendency to preciptate posts about establishments equivalent to The Flamingo in Lawrence. I vaguely recall such a counterpart in Ames that fraternities were known to visit on walk-outs. Fortunately, age and failing memory prevents me from recalling the name.

Perhaps this sort of thing should better go under a separate set of links called Mondo Roadhawks. :-)

Gentle joking aside, I think this is a useful idea that could:

a) help fans get a good meal and other services efficiently;

b) might well lead to certain establishments from conference towns advertising on the internet here at KUsports.com in order to attract business, if they are not being mentioned on the links;

The only down side I can forsee is that many establishments in conference towns may well send lurkers to join this site and then post positively about their establishments regardless of their merits.

Still, with the caveats noted, a step in the right direction it seems to me.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

jaybate--

Glad you like the idea. Truthfully, we are hoping to get some advertising from conference communities, because we think that will be helpful to fans as well. And as for plants, if we see posts like that, we'll be very amenable to taking them down, if the community agrees.

Jonathan

ebizzle 10 years, 4 months ago

Leik, don't forget the part where they wrote all over the car then let all the air out of the tires. Then hearing "well you guys should watch your car or that's gonna happen".Texas, it's like a whole other country.

Ryan Gerstner 10 years, 4 months ago

Cool idea. I hope to see a lot more KU fans at road games this year. K-State is an easy drive. Texas is just a fun, fun place and every KU fan should go see a game where the fans are just fanatical about football. It's certainly something to watch a game in an 100,000 seat stadium. Boulder is a good trip to. I think once more of our fans experience a road trip, they'll be hooked!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

<p>KUsports.com, great idea and service to the fans! I hope fans use it and make it a well established tool for everyone. This sounds like it could be a really good means to help those of us traveling for games.

Jaybate- The name, "the flamingo" had slipped my mind for a few years. thanks.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget to stress swine flu shots before going to Manhattan!

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

memhawk,

LOL!

I doubt your wife will thank me, but you are welcome. :-)

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

Er, the last line of the above post to memhawk was supposed to be salutated to...

FairgroveJayhawk,

I doubt your wife will thank me, but you are welcome. :-)

Matt Bowers 10 years, 4 months ago

I will be attending both the UT and Temple games this season. Does anyone know of any decent places to eat or stay in Knoxville, TN or Philadelphia, PA? Jkealing, this is a great idea.

Rock Chalk

Erik Roesh 10 years, 4 months ago

leikness - If your friend got kicked out of the stadium at TTech from the corner endzone, then I think I was sitting right next to you. F-ing tortilla throwers egged him on.

Gordon Penny 10 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't the Flamingo over in North Lawrence?

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

kustrong-- I'm not sure how far we'll get with basketball non-conference games this season, as we've got work still to do on conference destinations, but hopefully some other Jayhawk fans will be able to help you out. I can think of a few Knoxville Jayhawks that might have some good suggestions.

Jonathan

Kevin Kelly 10 years, 4 months ago

Um. Could there posibly be information for the UTEP game posted? The dates and such on this list are confusing? We have a game in College Station? Did anyone read this before setting it up?

I'm desperate to find a watch party or place to see this game up here in Omaha (Cox up here dosn't get CBS College Sports). Any information would be great as when you call places up here you are met with disinterested husker fans who have no idea what else might be on the TV.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm with Memhawk, road games out of conference would be a great addition to this list. Besides, there are only five regular season games total between football and basketball. It would have been nice last year to know where to go around Lucas Oil before we left and there are enough KU fans around these spots that would have beneficial information. Where is the Flamingo comp in Indy? I need to know.

Jesse Newell 10 years, 4 months ago

NEJhawk — If you click on the event, you can see the sport it relates to. The event listed at the top of the College Station site is actually a KU soccer match. We're working to get the sports to automatically show up with the listing so there's no confusion.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 4 months ago

It's also worth saying that, presuming KU makes it to a bowl game or through the NCAA basketball tournament, we'll certainly have venue information on each of those locations. And, as Jesse said, this is going to be a few-weeks long rollout. But we wanted to get this in front of you now so we can start picking your brains for the best information on each of these venues.

Jonathan

bmcmich1 10 years, 4 months ago

Ah, the Flamingo, or the 'dirty bird' as my group of buddies liked to call it -- the Friday lunch buffet is quite the experience...that place and the outhouse are Larry treasures

NEJhawk --

it appears the Omaha Chapter of the KU Alumni Assn. will be having a watch party for the UTEP game at a joint called DJ's Dugout (636 N. 114th St.) in O-Town. here's a link to their homepage:

For those that don't know, the Alumni Assn is a great resource to find 'KU Bars' in your current place of residence. We have such a fantastic reach as a fanbase; there really isn't a major metro area that is without a KU bar.

Up here in Chi town we have Kincade's in Lincoln Park, Lottie's Pub in Bucktown, and Gale Sayers' own Juniors Bar in the little italy/university village area I believe.

Here's a link to the Alumni Assn. watch party page. Just click on the state you live in and it'll point you in the right direction!

Great idea on the 'Road Hawks' idea as well -- i'll definitely be adding to the Boulder page.

jaybate 10 years, 4 months ago

Krug's pic above, as cropped, is pure visual poetry. Note the horizontal matrix. Note the classic oil painter's composition of the dark shadow of nothing at center around which all the color and forms hang in balance. Note also the rhythm created by the patterned forms. A sea of blue syncompated with scattered red and white. We are looking here at something more than just fans in their seats, just as when we look at an Ansel Adams photo we are looking at something more than rocks and water. Keep reaching Nick!

Michael Leiker 10 years, 4 months ago

eroesch - if you were, it was you, your two buddies, me, my 3 buddies and then some Parents. That was the KU Section at that game. I think I remember you...also, I think we left our flag at the game when we had to leave, and I think I saw you waving it on a highlight video the next day!!!

That is the stuff KU Football fan legendom is made of.

Michael Leiker 10 years, 4 months ago

bizzle - definitely true, good call. But we have to be fair, some other fans stayed around and waited for us with an air compressor to help us air the tires back up.

Kevin Kelly 10 years, 4 months ago

I realize this was a couple of years ago, but I have had some bad experiences with the Alumni Association. I'd go to events that no one showed up at. But thank you for the info.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 4 months ago

Bmc.... good memories... the Dirty Bird. However, my roommate one night showed off his membership card to a place about about a mile down the highway past the Dirty Bird.... The Paradise Saloon. Heard of it? Turns out a year's 'membership' was $10. What a deal!

Leik.... you're the man, what a story.

Great idea on the travelling hawks tips pages... I look forward to reading them.