Thursday, September 3, 2009

KU football’s season-opener officially a sellout

The Kansas University football team's season-opener Saturday against Northern Colorado has been sold out, according to KU athletics officials.

It is the first time in school history that the Jayhawks' first game has been announced as a sellout two days before kickoff.

KU has had three straight sellouts at home. The Jayhawks have played in front of at least 48,000 fans in each of their last nine games.

Memorial Stadium's official capacity is 50,071.

Comments

Ryan Gerstner 5 years, 1 month ago

They're not going to add any regular seats until there's a waiting list for season tickets. We haven't gotten that far yet so it'll still be a few years if I had to guess, but I'd love to see them do something cool to finish out the stadium on the South end.

Todd Simpson 5 years, 1 month ago

wh00t Sellout I bought 5 of the tickets and I am traveling from Texas just to be there :)

Larry Smith 5 years, 1 month ago

Njjayhawk,

Those are leather recliners down there, not air matresses. And by the way, they are quite comfortable! I like the fact that you have your own TV to look at, and the food down there is quite good.

Waylon Cook 5 years, 1 month ago

and 86 we received a gold medal for the revenue generating idea plus the cash it made the Athletic Dept is what gets us to the next level.

E4KUJHawks 5 years, 1 month ago

NICE!!!--Will be there myself, with 4 guests, including my nephew who will be attending his first game! Go Hawks!!!

jayhawkintx73 5 years, 1 month ago

Can we get to 120 on the decibel meter?

gardenjay 5 years, 1 month ago

Remember, some of the fans that will be there are really basketball fans. It might as well be Jai Alai for them. They smell a winner, but their fan-factor will not be that great unless they feel more comfortable.

It reminds me of when I was cheering my head off during a KU football game years ago, and then looked around and everyone was staring at me. It made me uncomfortable, even though I grew up as a spectator of football. If you go to a football school being quiet at a football game is just nuts.

I still say we should not leave it up to the AD to re-design memorial stadium as a sort of basketo-feel half-dome that would mimic Allen Field house.

gardenjay 5 years, 1 month ago

That is, I think a re-design of Memorial Stadium should consider public opinion, namely basketball fans.

jayhawk2062 5 years, 1 month ago

Awesome......KU fans are excited about the season! I'm glad I've got my season tickets. Don't have to worry about getting in!

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

KU should sell "Plan B" tickets.....standing room only tickets for halftime entry into the student section. Over half the students have left by halftime anyway, so this will keep the stadium full.

hypersocial 5 years, 1 month ago

South side of the stadium will never be built up...What's the problem with a horseshoe anyway?

I thought our numbers on students RETURNING after halftime was really up in the last two years?

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Agree entirely with Garden Jay. Some alums look at those of us who are actually yelling at football games as though we are crazy or disturbing them. We have nice, polite fans that don't want to embarrass themselves by actually cheering.

Ryan Shelton 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm coming up from OK for my first experience inside the stadium. Caught a game from the hill back in the nineties when I was attending college down here at a small state school. I grew up in Western Kansas listening to KU games on the radio so this is a dream come true for me. Out in Wildcat country in the eighties with all the farmers (who are actually nice people despite their allegiance) it was my bragging point when KU beat KSU in football, many times our only win of the year. Now that I live in Oklahoma and we are doing so well in football, it gives me a leg to stand on when the talk goes to football and the arrogant OU fans start yelping.
By the way gardenjay, I will yell along with you! ROCK CHALK!

sixstrings 5 years, 1 month ago

Nobody was looking at me like I was crazy when yelling, waving the wheat, high fiving and having a great time in the lower part of section nine the last two years because everyone else around me was doing it too. I’ll be in a different section this year but will still have a great time. I have enough love for football and basketball. I can’t wait for tomorrow!!!

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

A sell-out against UNCo. That rocks.

It was funny to read some stale Big12 (NU) fans talk about being able to walk up and buy tickets the day of the game and turn the stadium red. Now to make it "hostile".

Thanks 6string, troutsee, Gardenjay, and all of you true blue fans that get to go to the game and help us that are too far away to experience it as well. Nothing better than hearing the chant as backdrop to the commentary - you know that the rest of the nation is also getting to hear the best chant going. Okay, being immersed in the chant is pretty hard to beat.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

To those talking about wanting the south end of Memorial Stadium closed, I do not think it would be possible because of the location of Anderson Family Football Complex. At least you would not be able to finish it around like the North end. Any way, it is not going to happen. I am interested to see what this new expansion is going to look like.

Kevin Long 5 years, 1 month ago

I had the same thing happen to me as gardenjay more than once. So my wife and I decided that this year we would get as close to the students as possible. They aren't afraid to make some noise, so I should fit right in. There was a funny side to the first time that happened to me. It was on Raymond Pendleton's punt return in 07. I stood up so fast and screamed so loud that I got light headed and almost passed out! Good times!

Joel Hood 5 years, 1 month ago

klong - I have always loved sitting next to or within the student section. Of course, my son (now 14) loves yelling, "Rip his f---ing head off!" right along with the college students. Yep...good times.

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 1 month ago

It's a sellout, but I'll bet that I can scalp. About building on. That is a huge financial step and from reading the accounts of lukewarm fans, I would be hesitant. Above all, the hill is a defining and traditional part of Kansas--and now it's covered up.

Lou, I'm writing this for you to read. Please consider what I'm going to say here. What would really be the best solution? Build up between the goal lines, move the humongous scoreboard to the north bowl where no view is obstructed and bring back the hill. There's nothing wrong with a few thousand college students having a good time at the game. This is a party atmosphere and when kids have the money, they'll buy tickets. Not everyone is doing well in this recession!

These are my thoughts.