Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Kansas’ Reed can hit big shots

Jayhawk guard’s shooting touch extends to golf course

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed claps in celebration as the Jayhawks take control of the game late in the second half Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009 at the Devaney Center in Lincoln.

Official proof of Reed's feat

City of Aurora, Colo. hole-in-one listing

Evidently, Tyrel Reed’s dead-eye accuracy extends to the golf course as well.

While playing with his father, Stacy, on June 1 in Aurora, Colo., Tyrel pulled out a 7-iron for a tee shot from 171 yards out.

After hitting the green eight feet away from the pin, his ball took two bounces and rolled right into the cup.

“I had just gotten a new set of Callaways, and I about threw my 7-iron in the pond that was right next to me,” the Kansas University guard said of his first hole-in-one. “I just threw my club and was real excited.”

Reed, who has played golf as a hobby since high school, has advanced quickly. The Burlington junior typically shoots in the 80s.

“My dad has never hit a hole-in-one, so I think he was excited for me,” Reed said, “but he was also kind of jealous in a way probably.”

Perhaps it isn’t surprising that Reed’s tendency to hit big shots followed him off the basketball court.

Reed, who was known last season as a clutch three-point shooter for KU, believes he once again can fill that role for the 2009-10 Jayhawks.

“Coach (Bill Self) calls on me to make big shots and to shoot when I’m open,” Reed said. “Hopefully, I can do that this year.”

Reed hopes to contribute more than that.

Though he’s known for his shooting, Reed believes he can still become more consistent from long range.

He also sees himself as someone other players should be able to turn to for guidance.

“I just want to be a better defender, a more vocal leader on the court,” Reed said, “trying to tell the younger guys what to do, help them out in the positions they need to be in.”

Away from basketball, Reed has no choice but to stay loose with KU center Cole Aldrich as his roommate.

“That kid’s always got something to say, full of energy. Always wants to crack jokes on somebody,” Reed said. “There’s just never a dull moment in our room.”

Reed was the fastest player at KU coach Bill Self’s annual Boot Camp. Perhaps not coincidentally, he has politely declined to eat almost all the food that Aldrich cooks in the apartment.

“I think he at least knows how to boil water and throw some noodles in there of some sort,” Reed said with a laugh.

Aldrich, who had a front tooth knocked out against Kansas State last year, often cooks without his fake tooth in place. Reed has become accustomed to seeing a 6-foot-11, toothless chef towering over the stove in the apartment.

“He tells me he’s good at whatever he cooks,” Reed said, “but he seems to be always making pasta.”

So far, Aldrich hasn’t let Reed’s snubs bother him.

“I say, ‘Tyrel, what do you want?’ ‘Oh, I’m not hungry. I’m not going to eat your food,’” Aldrich said. “I’m like, ‘That’s all right. My food’s too good.’”

Reed also has grown accustomed to finding Aldrich’s fake tooth in the strangest of spots.

Sometimes, he sees it on the table. Other times, he sees Aldrich put it in his pocket.

Once, Aldrich even used it to play a prank.

“Probably the weirdest place I found it was I’ve woken up in the morning and seen it laying right next to my toothbrush in the bathroom,” Reed said. “I just try to keep the germs away from me as much as I can.”

Reed and Aldrich, along with teammates Conner Teahan and Chase Buford, go golfing together a few times a year.

Aldrich tees off with lengthened clubs and size-17 golf shoes.

“For being his size, he does well,” Reed said. “He’s got a mean slice, but he’s got a long swing, so there’s probably going to be a couple things that are going to be wrong with it to make the ball go not straight every time.”

Though Aldrich isn’t beating Reed in golf any time soon, he is taking credit for being better at another sport.

“He’s not a very good fisherman. I’m a better fisherman than he is,” Aldrich said with a grin. “They don’t have lakes in Kansas. We’ve got 12,000 back home (in Minnesota).”

Comments

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

I like how the caption says "...as Conner Teahan looks on."

VegasJhawk09 10 years, 3 months ago

nope, just oversized ponds in good ole KS.

Aligned 10 years, 3 months ago

Good story, and what a couple of good kids,

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps not coincidentally, he has politely declined to eat almost all the food that Aldrich cooks in the apartment. Aldrich on the golf course is one round of golf I'd love to play. - LOL

It doesn't sound like Reed will be redshirting or doesn't have any indication at this point that he will.

There is much speculation as to who the 1-2 players might be to redshirt.

What a mystery!

JayCeph 10 years, 3 months ago

Well, if his golf game is any indication, Reed better stay away from coaching the Chiefs... as long as Larry Johnson is still on the team. (*snicker)

Surprised to hear that he (Cole) still doesn't have a real (permanent) replacement for his tooth yet. Perhaps he should talk to X or CJ about going to Oklahoma for their patented orthodontia. Just a thought. (*chuckle)

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

Can't we just cut our team in half and form a B team? Our B team starting 5 looks like a top ten team:

1-EJ 2-Tyrel Reed or Morningstar? or CJ? 3-Travis Releford 4-Thomas Robinson 5-Jeff Withey

I just want to see EVERYONE play! but I still think Reed and EJ will redshirt. With a small possibility of travis releford but I doubt that. We need Reed's leadership on the court much more in the future than we do now.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

The caption to the picture should read..." Cole swung his driver on the 5th Tee and missed the ball by THIS MUCH!!! :}

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

ok, that's a lot of freshmen. Easily top 25 though...

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

Obviously, I am an idiot compared to HCBS regarding KU basketball but I'll take the contrarian stand and asked the question...why redshirt anybody???

1]This team will blow out a lot of teams by halftime thus giving the regulars a rest and letting the reseves get valuable PT. 2] The whole team stays sharp. 3] KU won't be under-manned in the first semester. 4] Injuries happen, unforeseen developments happen [although we've seen enough of those for the next decade, thank you vey much!] 5] When the freshmen hit the inevitable wall....it will only be a blip on the road to Indiannapolis. 6] I know it's prudent for the future, but as far as I am concerned, the future is now and I want every missile in my arsenal ready to fire.

Just asking.......

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

OakvilleJHawk- I am a huge believer in Mr Murphy!! Though the chance is extremely slim, you never know what could happen over the course of the year. It's a horrible thought but if the unthinkable happened, you would be perfectly right!! It's the thought that keeps me up at night thinking what if. I know HCBS will do what is right for the team and make the right decision.

I'm looking at it from the standpoint of returing EJ and Reed in the future, say 1-2 yrs?

1. EJ/Royce- EJ would be a Redshirt Jr?
  2. Reed- Redshirt SR
  3. Releford/Brady(?) SR
  4. TRob/Perry Ellis(?)- I know, but you have to plan!
  5. Withey/Mk- They would be Juniors or Seniors!!

What would a coach or program do for this line-up in 1-2 yrs? Think of the experience this group represents in 1-2 years!!! Yikes

Recruiting Note: In reference to Doron Lamb- “[Kentucky coach John Calipari] said I would fit in well with the system because of my offensive ability. I have a good flow with my offense.” - WOW !

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but I am fairly certain that someone has to red-shirt this year. Each NCAA D1 team is limited to 16 active players – 13 scholarships & three walk-ons.

Right now, we have 17 players on the roster – 13 schollies & 4 walk-ons (including CJ.) http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/kan-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Is there any reason one of the walk-ons couldn’t red-shirt for KU to remain in compliance? Am I missing anything here?

TxJyHwk 10 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkerjoel - you can have as many walk-ons as you want, the only limitation is on scholarship players (13) and how many can travel (15).

This was brought up a couple of years ago because we had 16 or 17 players that year as well.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Thanks TxJyHwk - that makes sense as Juenemann did not travel last year. But, that means two people won't travel this year - right? Juenemann & ???????? once Brady is reinstated.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone heard of any 5s in the next 1-2 years or classes with true 5s? Payne has removed KU and we lost FabMelo!

Withey will need some breathing room and don't want him to be like Cole was all year last year through the tourney. Mk helped, but Freshmen have a tough role backing a Junior or Senior 5 man. We need a true 5 man no later then 2012 so they can learn from Withey. Withey may go early and if he does, we'll be without a true 5.

Any 5 coming in as a Freshman that could work with Withey would then maybe start as a Soph!! Any thoughts on Withey staying for the long haul?

AsadZ 10 years, 3 months ago

How about red shirting Releford and Markief Morris?

100 10 years, 3 months ago

What a great decision Aldrich made to stay. He is as Jayhawk as James Naismith himself.

These are the days Cole will remember forever.

NBA is alright in it's own way, but unfortunately all these "real" good times will someday be no more, replaced by eight hours a day in a practice facility on a court leaps & bounds bigger than a college court (though on TV it doesn't appear that much different, try playing even 2 minutes of an NBA game & you'll know it's time for an O2 bag), furthermore, secluded from the rest of humanity until gametime. The millions of dollars are nice. But it is no Jayhawk boulevard & there is certainly no March Madness (sidenote: could David Stern make the NBA playoffs any less appealing).

Wisest decision Cole ever made -- I hope he's able to finish his degree because, as a grandpa, I'll tell you, besides good friendships & being a whole person, that degree is more important than anything you'll ever do in your NBA career.

Rock Chalk, Cole

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

100- Are you implying Cole should reconsider and attend his Sr yr? hmmm...

Mk could redshirt but do we want him to with Withey out all semester?

Besides the guy went 3-3 or 3-4 from the arc at late night!!

If he's a threat, that could be a threat to keep opponents guessing. It's difficult to defend a 6-9 player that can step out and hit the trey consistently or at will.

Keep up the focus Mk and drain that trey when necessary!!

kranny 10 years, 3 months ago

Reed will not redshirt. I think Reed's defense will be key for his playing time this year. I think he'll be asked to shut down the 2. I'll bet he starts. Depending on whose shot falls early on he or Tyshawn will play the 2. My prediction for the starters early on:

Collins Aldrich Tyshawn Reed Marcus Morris

Players that will start by the beginning of the Big 12 slate:

Collins Aldrich Tyshawn X. Robinson

Coming off the bench for significant minutes depending on matchups:

Releford EJ Morris Little

Paul Brozik 10 years, 3 months ago

100 "on a court leaps & bounds bigger than a college court (though on TV it doesn't appear that much different, try playing even 2 minutes of an NBA game & you'll know it's time for an O2 bag)"

I wasn't aware the court sizes were different. I think you are mistaken on this one?

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm changing my tune on throwing Tyrel a maillot rouge.

I no longer think he's a probable. He's now a possible. Why?

Look at Krug's pic of Tyrel last year. Look at those bicepts. He's always been stronger and more athletic than everyone has given him credit for.

According to Hudy, Tyrel has gained some weight and a lot of strength over the summer. And as usual his endurance is second to none. Added weight, stellar endurance, plus added strength, plus another year of learning to defend with what foot speed he has, equals a guy who can go in and seriously body problem children on the perimeter, while any one of the three starters takes a blow. Coaches who like 8 man rosters love versatility and experience and low TOs in their 6th, 7th, and 8th players. And Tyrel just is a designated gun at crunch time.

Hence, Self probably won't red shirt Tyrel. This team needs exactly what he brought from the bench last year and can bring a lot more of this year--strength, endurance, ball handling, tenacity, feistyness, steadyness, low TOs, improved defense, experience, and 40%-plus accuracy with his M-3, gas-powered, automatic weeeeepon, as some southern DIs might call his three point ability.

But isn't Elijah supposed to be one of the great impact players Self has recruited? Oui.

So: don't we need Elijah eligible and Tyrel watching?

When you have a team with Sherronatron, Quantum T, X-Man, and CJ on the perimeter already, you need more impact players like Marvel Comics needs more super heroes.

Maybe if consumate glue-man Brady Morningstar hadn't done the nonlinear watusi for the HiPo out on the shoulder of the Pike after midnight at the oasis, and gotten himself suspended, Self could have justified throwing Tyrel the maillot rouge, but probably not now. A whole semester without a proven 40% trifectationist on the wings? Practically a recipe for a loss on a first semester night when the opponent is shooting trifectas jubilee (e.g., en flambe). Scary in deed without Reed in reserve to counter.

If Self has to choose between now and the future, he chooses now. He kept Releford eligible last year, because they were short handed, even though Releford really needed a camisia rossa aka a red Italian smoking jacket.

But the year before, he red shirted Morningstar, because he would have sat and was capable of being a starter, or major contributor, a year later.

If everyone stays healthy, all signs point to Elijah as a red shirt. With Tyrel, Brady, and CJ running on all cylinders, good as the Prophet supposedly is, he just isn't needed.

On the other hand, if CJ stays hurt, or if Tyrel gets hurt, or if Brady were to have to explore sobriety in greater depth, Elijah must remain eligible.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

But enough about the perimeter squirts.

What about los hombres grandes?

Who gets a giant camisa roja (or is that rojo)?

Cien, er, 100, rules out the gimpy Withey, because a transfer loses his red shirt in transfer.

Fair enough.

Who then?

Do we need five bigs: Aldrich, Kieff, Marcus, Withey, and Robinson?

We might if Self wants to go big and stay big at the 3 very many times this season with Marcus playing backup to Xavier.

But Self has already said he is hoping Marcus can do the 3/4 swing so he could redshirt at least one big.

If the skinny Withey stays gimpy in the knee, he gets a medical red shirt for sure, so he can bulk up another year.

If Withey gets healthy, Self has to look at red shirting Kieff. But red shirting Kieff, leaves Self without any proven muscle behind Aldrich, which means he won't likely do that. Doing so would be an green light for other teams to foul Aldrich to death in order to play against some skinny, inexperienced guys.

Anyone else?

I know no one will believe me, and maybe it is against Self's religion to red shirt jucos, but Mario Little is the guy to redshirt, if Barnes isn't ours for the taking. Mario first or second string next year makes next year's team very tough. He is irrelevant to this year's team, unless Self is absolutely determined to red shirt a big and make Little miserable at the 4 again.

Conclusion: I now see only one likely red shirt being thrown--to Elijah the Prophet--and one possible red shirt--to Mario my sentimental favorite.

Oh, my, how I have changed my thinking the last few days.

I'm guessing Coach Self is taking it day by day right now, too.

And there is always OakvilleJHawk's insight: bring everyone you have and worry about next year next year.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Sabd,

Yes, you noticed that, good reading the fine print. it was meant to be a shot at NBA players who loaf up & down the court. Any of these college heros seen to go to the NBA & forget how to run up & down -- that's all I was saying.

NBA & college are both 94 x 50 feet, but many NBA players act like it's 194 x 50.

Now in all seriousness, the biggest shock in real feet is high school to college. Itself only an extra 10 feet, but after a few minutes it adds up!

(That's one reason I'm X glad had a personal trainer this summer, that fact is #1 to address).

Rock Chalk

Paul Brozik 10 years, 3 months ago

100,

I hate to keep calling you out but almost all high school courts are also the same size as college courts. There are older gym floors that are 84 ft but I am posetive most of the courts players like X play on are 94 ft!

KUFan90 10 years, 3 months ago

Good article. Can't wait to see Reed play next year after his red shirt this year.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

My high school had a gym floor of 100' with a 94' court that left 3' at either end...what a Snake Pit!!! We lost one game in four years!, mostly because our opponents would crash into walls after layups and never truly recover!!

HHHHEEEYYYY!!!! I was told Payne was virtually signed, sealed and delivered as a Jayhawk...what happened!!!!

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Sabd,

No offense taken. Times have changed, high school courts nationally vary, but most I've ever seen (including recently) are pint sized compared to college or NBA courts.

Again it's only 10 feet difference, but it's a big difference after a few trips, especially for the accelerchargers like the human bowling ball..

In most states it's tinyville for high school courts -- I think 84 feet in length is the standard.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Truth rocks.

kansasbasketball 10 years, 3 months ago

OakvilleJHawk

were did you see that about payne?

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

kansasbasketball- Look at his recruiting page!

Like Jones, we're not on his list of schools.

But Jones' mother says, KU is still a possible visit, but not likely!

Payne is looking at UD (U. Dayton or WVU- yes, Huggins) and uk think they have him in the bag! WVU is under investigation for violating ncaa recuriting rules while wearing shirts with Payne's name on them and slogans. They have to determine how they were supplied.

cg1029 10 years, 3 months ago

Anyone who actually thinks that Reed is going to see any significant playing time this year is crazy... This is just like the Brady is the key to our season argument from this summer early fall... Both Reed and Morningstar should practice sitting on the end of the bench and cheering for the guys who are going to play real minutes and win KU another championship...

Seriously if either Reed or Morningstar (after his suspension is over) play more then 5 minutes a game then something has gone horribly wrong with this season and we have ABSOUTLY ZERO CHANCE TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I am sure that they are both nice guys, but there is a reason that Bill Self went out and got X, and EJ and that was because they have more talent then the upper classmen on the roster. X will start from day one (well maybe the first game that is not an exhibition.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Isaiah Austin | C

Hometown Mansfield, TX
High School Mansfield Legacy High School
Height 6'11" Weight 190 lbs.

3 Class 2012- No schools are on his list yet! HCBS needs to send Dooley and Manning down to Mansfield and start recruiting this kid !! By the time he graduates, he could be a beast. I'm surprised Rick Barnes isn't jumping on him.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

that's b/c TRob is A list material!! I don't see him being on any B list. TRob is tenacious. CS loves his intensity and nose for the boards. His offense is as good or better than some of the upperclassmen.

100,

I am grateful Cole came back this year.

But we will not know if he made the right decision until he is drafted as high, or higher than he would have been last year, and signed for as much or more money.

He is only one injury away from a wrong decision until such happens.

Let us all say our prayers for Cole having an injury free season.

Robert Brock 10 years, 3 months ago

If you think Reed is going to redshirt, you are officially cooking crystal meth in your bathtub, packing it firmly in a pipe and lighting it up again and again. Who are our reliable outside shooters this year, especially with Morningstar out the first semester? Henry and Collins? By March, Reed won't be playing the minutes he was last season, but his experience and big shot capability is going to get him on the floor. He is going to be especially important early on with CJ and EJ and others not completely familiar with the defenses, offensive sets, etc.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate,

Solid point regarding Cole. I never said he should or shouldn't stay an extra year after he wins another championship ring this year.

That's his choice of course.

I only said, the truth -- which is there are few things more important than friendships before big money contracts (because they will be harder to find as the years go on until he has a family & is out of the NBA) & finishing his degree. It's not a requirement to finish by any means. For his own sake, I simply hope he knows how important it is.

A guy I met a few years ago (actually played against & was dominated by Wilt multiple times) finished his post graduate schooling during his NBA career. He became highly successful in his field for thirty years & tacked on a PhD & an MD to his original degree. The key he said, was getting his initial degree before he took off to the NBA.

That's not to say Cole can't do it later. The percentages just go down. And it takes a lot of will power once life gets busy...

He's smart -- for all I know his plan is to finish it this year, maybe with a few summer computer courses...

Cole obviously will make the best choice for his future -- I just know for a midwestern college kid raised the right way, there are few long term things more important than a college degree, even to a millionaire. And that's the way it should be. It carries us through life & opens up many doors that would be closed otherwise. Most noteably -- your inner soul, your self, your heart who was "this close", but never finished. Finish it, & you won't have to talk to yourself about this topic for 50 years or more...

He'll do the right thing, basketballwise. I just hope he has a plan for the degree.

Cole aside -- I don't know about you, but I'm awfully proud of Sherron for his plan to finish out his degree this year.

Sherron will be a true Jayhawk graduate!

Now, enough school talk....

let's go 40-0.

Rock Chalk, Jaybate

kansasbasketball 10 years, 3 months ago

i want to watch a couple of games before i decided who will leave for the nba and who will stay

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

5 days ~21.4 hours until the first game - exhibition style - to lay the smack down on the FHS tigers, hope they get their money's worth. Can't wait. I'm dying to see this team's strength.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

everyone can play in the exhibition games right? even if a player may redshirt? i guess this is the last chance to see what kind of chemistry everyone has together. Everyone has the talent. Its really coming down to chemistry.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

This clicking "suggest removal" and getting posts deep sixed seems kind of fun. To the best of my recollection, I have never clicked suggest removal on someone else's post, but I am going to break my record and click suggest removal of my own post just for the fun of it. It will have only the letter "a" in it. It will be the next post that I will delete.

Bummer! :-(

It isn't removed yet.

Maybe it will be.

buzzardbait 10 years, 3 months ago

Aldrich should record a cooking show without his tooth, then do a golf video. Proceeds to Foundation for toothless golfhacks.

100,

There is a lot of wisdom to what you say. Degrees are hard to go back and finish after even a year away. Everything, for that matter, is hard to go back and finish after a bit of time away.

Money should not be the all important criterion, but in sports, it is presently, because the money made in sports is so much greater than what can be made in so many business careers.

What athletes need to understand is that a college degree can give them significant comfort and confidence while they pursue their basketball careers and then give them the same for a much longer period (20-30 years) in their careers after sports.

I believe persons do not generally do a very good job explaining what a college degree and the experience of college give one afterwards.

I want to take a stab at it.

I made it a long way in my career not just because I got the appropriate strategic and technical training in graduate schools, but also because I got an undergraduate English degree that opened up the world of culture and the arts to me. All of the really terrific persons I have worked for, or with, or managed, expected me to be good strategically and technically; that was the ante to play. What allowed me to navigate their professional and social circles was a little old English degree from a midwestern university. To know the secrets of literature in this civilization is to be a kind of shaman that all the brightest persons wish to know, even if they have never read a novel in their lives.

To know the secrets of literature in this increasingly illiterate civilization is to hold a prism in one's hand that let's one help others see what they cannot see, but suspect is there. To know the difference between good and great, simply because you have drunken of the greatness of others for years on end, when young, gives you a bull feces detector that is nearly infallible in any setting you choose to put yourself.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Being able to discuss great literature insightfully, to understand the legacy of the arts, to know enough to say just enough to signal you actually know what someone is talking about regarding culture is often the difference between gravitating to the center and drifting to the margin.

Technique is so necessary, but it is sooooooo boring.

Strategy is so effective, but it is soooooooo hollow.

Ah, but the secrets of the literary river; of the hero with a thousand faces; of the quest for who am I; of the coincidence of religion and myth; of the shared architecture of stories and buildings; of the realization of heaven and hell in the still point of a turning world; of the deep meanings that guide ourselves and the deep state that guides our world...all of these are soooooooooooo endlessly interesting and compelling and persuasive when spoken of without being too on the nose.

Professionals quickly learn that to sustain a career they need the minimum ante of competency to be of use to those they work with. But they also learn they need two more things. They need persons with cheerful dispositions and they need interesting persons. To be successful and happy at any professional endeavor, you must be not only competent, or even excellent, but cheerful and interesting.

Most everyone with any work ethic at all can be competent. A few among those with exceptional talent can be excellent. A few among those with good timing can be great.

But oddly enough, many who are competant, or excellent, or even great, don't succeed, because they are not cheerful, and/or interesting.

Sour, boring people are doomed in professional careers.

Your cheerfulness can be nurtured, but you either have it or you don't.

But how interesting you are can be greatly increased by a college education.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

A college education can also help you know how the silver ought to be set, and bureaucracies run ( a university is nothing if not a Fortune 500 sized bureacracy) and to have an amusing opinion about both. It can help you learn how to eat and speak like a civilized human being at dinner. It can focus your innate curiosity on interesting things that make you more interesting than you would otherwise be.

Scientific, technical and strategic training are not what really allowed me the ability to mix comfortably and be accepted as something more than the hick from the Midwest that I actually am, where ever I have gone. I have quite a lot of graduate education, and quite a lot of education by hard knocks, and a ton of self education, and a willingness to try almost anything if I think it will develop me. But if you asked me to choose among all of my forms of education the one that was most important, the one that I could not have done without, the one that I would recommend to every really bright hard scientist, scholarship athlete, techno nerd, journalist, anyone, it would be my English degree. I wouldn't trade that English degree for anything.

And everyone, everyone, everyone told me at the time that was the stupidest degree I could have gotten. I did not choose it with guile. I did not know how important and useful it would turn out to be. I just loved English literature at the time and hated all the things that I would later explore fruitfully and systematically in graduate school. It was just dumb luck that I got my English degree. I never really wanted to be a professor of English. I just wanted to know English literature inside and out, because it was the only thing that I could then love as I had loved basketball, which I no longer had the talent to play.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

When life sucks. When I am sick. When I am confused by what I should do next. When I seem to have lost everything. When I have swooned from success. When I am having my heart ripped from its thoracic cavity by a woman. When a woman is taking me to heights I never imagined. When loved ones slip into Alzheimers. When my mother and father were dying. When my country normalized perma-war and perma-torture and associated crimes against humanity. When the fishing and hunting are fabulous. When writing is good. When writing is bad. When music and architecture and design excite me beyond all expectation, or leave fearing a dark age. When I am appalled by television, have hope renewed. When the music reaches deepest into me. When the music seems to suck. When I can't understand why a state, or a firm, or an individual, behaves as it does. When I must persuade someone I do not want to persuade, but who I know I can persuade. It is always the river of literature that I return to. It is always Professor Casagrande and Professor Greer and Professor Sharistanian that I hear, and remember. It is their love of the river of literature, not of the literature itself that rekindles in me the spark of life and the joy of getting after it. Their examples held the key to understanding and doing what can be done. It is the Pound and Eliot and Auden and Shakespeare and Ford and Kyd and Spenser and Sand and Camus and Aristotle and Hemingway and Melville and Cather and Kerouac and Kesey and Ginzberg and Chaucer and Cornielle and Lawrence and whomever wrote Beowulf and Twain and Pynchon and Barthelme and Hawthorne and Mann and Remarque and Grass and Whitman and Hardy and and and and....they come to me, as surely as Naismith and Allen and Harp and Owens and Brown and Williams and Self come to me. It is the Elizabethan dramatists that remind me that there is an ascent and a descent in all things great and small, be it the arc of civilizations or the arc of a season of basketball. It is all the great visiting writers that I was lucky enough to meet and spend days with as they passed through Lawrence that jump out of memory's recesses and make me remember there is life and that a river runs through it. It is the faculty parties I tended bar at, where I remember those that stayed true to the river and those that let go of it and betrayed themselves pathetic after two Gibsons. It is the woman-child English students I met and fell in love with and romanced with and dumped and who dumped me that come back to me in their words of joy and sorrow and fury about the beauty and elegance of desire and the hopeless separations between the nerve endings of men and women.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I know strategy and technicals and hard knocks and all about the dark underbelly of this country. But it is the little English degree, at the humble midwestern university, in the once quiet college town, that made all the difference and still makes life worth living on some profound level that is very hard to explain to persons who have never studied anything having to do with culture, anything that they truly loved. The only thing remotely comparable to it is what my love for basketball gives me.

Every player on this basketball team would be infinitely better off, if the system were to change and level the educational playing field so that all roads passed through a four year degree for all basketball players. The people who say some guys just are too dumb for college are just too dumb themselves to get it. College can liberate anyone. College can switch on lights in the dimmest heads, if someone wants to know.

I would not hesitate even a second to tell every player on the team, "If you don't know what to study, if you're not sure about your degree, go get an English degree and pay no attention to all the fools who tell you not to." It will teach you how to write and research and about the legacy of your civilization in a way that will empower you in every other field of study you might enter in graduate school, no matter how far behind the quantitative curve it puts you in the beginning of grad school.

Do we agree that college is still important, 100? Oh, my yes.

And the children need to know it.

(Intermission)

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

The NBA used to be a much better business organization, IMHO, when its employee-players mostly had four years of college and many of them had college degrees.

The NBA doesn't like to talk about this, but the degree of sophistication and civility of NBA players appears to have sharply declined since the era when most NBA players had matriculated colleges. And the decline is not betrayed by tatoos, ear rings, facial hair, or gang signing. It is betrayed by the often coarse, infantile ways the players conduct themselves in interviews, in public, in business dealings with other professionals, with their families, and so on. This don't act like juvenile jackasses because they have too much money. They act like slum yahoos, or suburban Beavis and Buttheads, and backwoods bonzos, because many have never spent enough time in a university environment being educated and socialized to attain even rudimentary cultivation.

Today's NBA players seem like overgrown kids, because they really are overgrown kids even into their 30s. They are increasingly like baseball players that spend their college years in the minors and never go to college.

The old NBA teams were like a collection of mid-town University Clubs in comparison with today's essentially raw and unsophisticated individuals and team cultures.

Bill Russell is almost Nils Bohr in comparison to any no-college, or one-year-of-college NBA star of today.

Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton were like Sartre and Camus in comparison to any center in the game today, except maybe for Tim Duncan, who stuck around a while at Wake.

But I am also beginning to fear that the society is so massively dumbed down as a whole now that most fans are not even sophisticated enough to recognize the order of magnitude difference between educated, civilized, and cultured men like Russell, Alcindor and Walton and most of the barely educated bigs in the game today.

Note: I am not referring to Wilt here, because he is something of an outlier. He left early, but even he had two years of schooling. And Wilt was freakishly intelligent and one of those rare persons with the natural curiosity and capacity to continue educating himself throughout his life.

There is a reason Oscar Robertson, at a young age, seemed so much more dignified than Derek Rose today. It's because he was civilized by college.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

I want more than anything for professional basketball players to become civilized by college again. It never made them into English country squires, or anything, but it at least gave them some dignity and some sense of self worth beyond what the could do on wood. So many of today's pros are just fabulously wealthy cases of arrested development run through the spin cycle of handlers.

Where are the Bill Russells going to come from with the system we have now?

In this system, how will a Zeke from Cabin Creek turn into the great Jerry West who had enough education and foundation to make himself into one of the great and dignified professionals of sports management? Will a year at WVU with Huggo Muggo be enough of a civilizing force? Don't make me laugh!

Sherron Collins probably doesn't believe it right now, but his four years at KU plus his degree give him a lasting chance to break the vicious cycle of poverty in has family once and for all, even if he proves not good enough to make it in the show. Sherron Collins is, despite some of his mistakes in college, now not only a warrior, and a great basketball player, he is an educated man with some civility to go along with his fabulous heart,unlimited courage, and great PG talent. If this ever stops mattering in America, then America has ceased to be worth the powder to blow it to kingdom come.

Billy Derringer 10 years, 3 months ago

way to kill a tread jaybate what a waste of space........jaybate=bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

This business is well ended. My liege, and madam, to expostulate What majesty should be, what duty is, Why day is day, night night, and time is time, Were nothing but to waste night, day and time. Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief: your noble son is mad: Mad call I it; for, to define true madness, What is't but to be nothing else but mad?

-- Shakespeare

Jaybate, thy name is Polonius.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Good quoting! I wondered what it would take to draw some Shakespeare into the fray. Come. Follow me now.

"Now I will show myself To have more of the serpent than the dove; That is--more knave than fool. "

--Marlowe

jayhawkerjoel, how did you, my vassal, come to have such infinite riches in so little a room, especially when we all know naught but betrayal and...

"The play's the thing."

--Shakespeare

And, no, my vassal, regicide is not about Regis Philbin.

En garde my vassal, knavery becomes thee!

:-)

End note: Polonius has always been wildly misunderstood by Elizabethan scholars. Trust me.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

David Howell 10 years, 3 months ago

Good god, JAYBATE is a linguist, psycho, freak and short-story writer rolled into one.

Maybe he should be able to write his own articles that we could skip and then be barred from commenting on other articles.

Just when I think he has made a good point or analogy, he writes something else and goes on a tangent that NO one, and I mean NO one could interpret to its fullest .........

I know, SKIP, is the word we are looking for, but my page down finger gets sore at times !!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

"I like not fair terms and a villain's mind."

--Shakespeare

What, ho, are you not a man, but rather joelladeville?

"Komm, gib mir deine Hand" joelladeville.

;-)

What the jhawkr Said:

Do you mean no one? And do you mean no one?

His finger is bad tonight. Yes, bad. Page with me. Page down to me. Why do you never page down? Page. What are you paging down? What paging? What? I never know what you are paging. Page.”

I think we are in Cats’ alley, where the recruits fake SATs.

“What is that noise?”

The cheering under the door.

“What is that noise now? What is the cheering doing?”

Nothing again nothing.

“Do you know nothing? Do you see nothing? Do you remember nothing?”

I remember, those are basketballs that were his eyes.

“Are you alive, or not? Is there nothing in your head?"

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity. ..."

-- Buzz Lightyear

s6u6r6f 10 years, 3 months ago

"If he takes a sudden mania he'll want to give you Pennsylvania you know your talking to the reefer man..."

--Cab Calloway (unknown relationship to Ricky)

jayhawkerjoel,

I love you when you are feeling angry, hurt and inferior, but between us...

"I am the leper with the most fingers."

--Robert Towne

;-)

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations on your victory Robert de Brus. I'd salute you, but with only one finger, I'd likely be censored.

"Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded."

-- Fyodor Dostoevsky

jayhawkerjoella,

And well you should be. Tisk, tisk.

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal." --Leo Tolstoy

Dosty merely had epilepsy, gambling addition and madness.

You sure know how to pick'em.

Come, come, cease your embrace of conventional wisdom on literary dysfunctionalists.

Pretend, at least, as if you have thought originally about some of it. :-)

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Gaveston: Well doone, Ned."

--Marlowe

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute, And now and then stab, when occasion serves. " — Marlowe

:-)

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Moniker mocking? Hummmm. I guess it's time for me to leave the sandbox - mom has dinner ready. If you get bored, just click the following link as my permanent retort.

Cheers - have a Happy Halloween |>:- )