Friday, October 23, 2009

KU men’s basketball notebook

Transfer Jeff Withey looks on from the bench during the second half of the Jayhawks’ Jan. 13 game at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University freshman center Jeff Withey will miss four to six weeks of practice after suffering a stress fracture in his right knee earlier this week in practice.

“He slightly fractured it two days ago,” KU coach Bill Self said, noting Withey would not need surgery. “It’s not a major injury, but it’s one that’s nagging. He’ll be back in a little bit, by Dec. 1 is what they tell me.”

Withey, a 7-foot transfer from Arizona, will not be eligible to play in games until the conclusion of first semester in mid-December.

Senior Cole Aldrich said Withey was hurt chasing a loose ball.

“He’s not going to be missing any games that he would have if he didn’t red-shirt,” Aldrich said. “He’s just trying to get healthy. You get nicked here and there. It’s sports. You get injured once in a while. He has a great attitude.”

Aldrich said Withey had been playing well.

“He gave me that length and athleticism. It’s much tougher to score over him,” Aldrich said. “He is a great shot-blocker. Every once in a while he gets me thinking, and it affects my shot.”

Self said freshman guard C.J. Henry has been slowed by various aches.

“He’s nicked up, whether it be a knee, ankle, hyperextended elbow. He’s been practicing a majority of the time, not full time yet. It’s nothing serious, just nicked up stuff,” Self said.

Two versus UT unlikely: Texas coach Rick Barnes says he’d love to play KU twice a season: once in conference play and again in a game added to the slate.

“It’d be playing the one conference game in Lawrence or Austin and the other in Kansas City or Dallas,” Self said.

Self said he did not believe KU ever would schedule two games versus the Longhorns. The two teams could always meet in the Big 12 tournament.

“If we are going to play somebody else, another great name — say a Villanova — could we get as much out of playing Texas again than Villanova? Nobody in our league has done it thus far. I don’t know if it’s something that will happen. It’s on the board.”

Turg ill

Texas A&M; coach Mark Turgeon did not attend Media Day. He remained in College Station because he was ill.

Just like Wilt: Self said Aldrich could be KU’s best true big man since Wilt Chamberlain.

“It’s a huge honor,” Aldrich said. “You look through the fieldhouse and see Wilt all over the place. Just being in the same sentence with Wilt is huge.”

X’s future

It has been said Xavier Henry is a one-and-done player.

“I’ve got 15 guys right now leaving after this year if they had it their way,” Self cracked. “Every coach does. He hasn’t once said he’s positively leaving. That’s the talk if he performs at a high level. If he puts himself in position to make that decision, I’m all for him doing it. I didn’t bring him here saying he’s going to be here two, three years. I brought him here believing when the time is right, you go. If it’s after one, it’s one. If it’s after two, it’s two. Xavier would tell you the same thing.”

No summer school

Self admitted some Jayhawks wondered why Xavier and C.J. Henry worked out in Oklahoma City all summer rather than attending KU summer school.

“No doubt they said that: ‘Why isn’t X here? Why isn’t C.J. here?’” Self said. “I explained the reasons they weren’t. They didn’t hold it against them. They were all looking forward to them getting here. I told Xavier and C.J., ‘Just so you know, there are going to be some guys lined up to guard you when you get here.’ Our guys bought into them the first day they walked on campus. They are really good kids. They’ve done a good job fitting in.”

Coaches clinic

Self today begins his two-day coaches clinic. Guest speakers will include former Kentucky and Texas A&M; coach Billy Gillispie and former NBA coach Del Harris.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Billy G will be speaking? How awful. Come on HCBS leave the poor dude out of KU athletics.

suttonku 10 years, 9 months ago

Billy G and Self are very close friends and that is why he is speaking. I respect Billy G and I would accept him with open arms if he came to work under Self again. Barry Hinson did and he was terrible and Missouri State.

Dee Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Give the guy a break. Have we all made mistakes in our past. I certainly have. Lets hope and pray that Billy is getting things under control. Who knows maybe he can use his past to help people today learn from his mistakes. Maybe he will talk about coaching and substance abuse. Plus we do have a justice system in this country. Billy as long as I know has not been charged with a crime. I know he is waiting trial on a suspicion of a DUI but not charged. Innocent until proven guilty. Let the process go through the system before we cast judgement. This shows me that Coach Self is a true friend. Billy right now needs help and support. A true friend will be there to help and guide his friend. You don't agree with decisions made in the past but friendship should be unconditional.

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

Considering Billy G's settlement with Kentucky you'd think he'd be on the beach or golf course somewhere. I wish KU could get him as a bench consultant. He is a great coach and was a super assistant for Self.

KUFan90 10 years, 9 months ago

I assume Cole mis spoke and this should say "if he didn't transfer", correct? Withee has never red-shirted.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 9 months ago

A transfer requires a redshirt I believe.

Jory Collins 10 years, 9 months ago

A transfer requires a year of residency at the school you transfer too before you can play. That's what Cole is referring to.

David Leathers 10 years, 9 months ago

When Cole scores 100 in a NBA game, then and only then, shall we put him in the same sentence as Wilt Chamberlin.

JUST KIDDING, please don't blast me for this one, it's only a joke, I love our Jayhawks always and this year is going to be special. I just cant wait!

(It would be lovely to see the team drop 100 on KSUcks or Mizzery.) or both

apeoples410 10 years, 9 months ago

Any updates on recruit feedback after Late Night? I've seen some info on Shiver and Rivals about Selby, Lamb, Woolridge, and Turner, but nothing on Barnes.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 9 months ago

Great post Jhawkster, loved the link. Sounds like Bill has quiet a castle.... good for him.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

I'd like to see KU-UT play twice a year, but I'd like it to be because the Big 12 changes it's schedule. I mean Duke and UNC aren't going to go play in Charlotte, in the regular season, are they? KU-UT deserves a home and away played every year - on the school campuses!

It wouldn't be that difficult for the Big 12 to change the schedule. Andy Katz of ESPN stated that the KU-UT rivalry is the "NEXT" big rivalry and that it is approaching the DUKE-UNC rivalry for importance in college basketball, and thus deserves two games each year. I agree!

I also believe that KU-OU deserves two games a season. This rivalry really got ripped when the Big 8 and 4 SWC teams joined together to form the Big 12.

I put together a schedule that would make it possible. It would give the Big 12 more 'big' games between the top teams and create more home and aways series, so that we can better market the Big 12. Also, more games against top teams is better preparation for the NCAA tourney, IMO.

Let's talk it up.

KU playing only one game against Texas & OU each year isn't in the Big 12's best interests! What do you think?

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 9 months ago

After reading Harrison's account at KU http://www.highschoolhoop.com/high-school-stories/2009/10/the-harrison-barnes-diary-official-visit-to-kansas/ and his visit it sounds like he will be attending Duke. I will hate to see him not come to Kansas but wish him luck.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

mullen,

I thought the same thing after reading Barnes' account! - Looks to be a Duke lean...

KU's advantage is 'closest to home, big-time school' but after reading the article, I came away thinking that isn't enough. Hope I'm wrong, because he'd be a great JayHawk!

Harrison, we'd love to have you wear our Blue!

Rock Chalk!

Paul Brozik 10 years, 9 months ago

Payne down to four schools. Can't blame him for not having KU. KU is loaded at that position.

KUbsee69 10 years, 9 months ago

Interesting comments in Harrison Barnes' entry on his visit to HCBS's home. I know Self moved a few months ago. A friend of mine's son was one of the movers. Without revealing his actual address, does anyone know if he's still in the same neighborhood? I know where his former house was and it's a nice area.

Just curious.

Incidentally, I agree, it's 40-0 because the two exibition games do not count towards the record.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

KUbsee69 - Self didn't move too far away from his prior house. The new digs are located within the Doug Compton "South Fork" estate - just east of Free State HS.

kerbyd 10 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully, Billy G's contribution will be similar to what the former coach of Baylor has been up to lately. (Sorry can't think of his name, been a long day.) Apparently, the coach has been pretty open about all the problems he caused and taken responsiblity for it.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 9 months ago

kvskubball-The 4 Texas schools joined the Big * and they changed the name. I know people here in Texas say that the Big 12 was "formed" out of the Big 8 and the SWC but that's not what happened.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 9 months ago