Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Trial ordered in post-brawl confrontation

Guy Lipscomb, 19, was arrested and later charged with two counts of criminal threat for allegedly threatening two female track athletes, court documents said.

On Tuesday a Douglas County District Court judge ordered a man to stand trial on charges of threatening to shoot two women outside Jayhawker Towers.

The two victims, one former and one current member of the Kansas University track team, testified Tuesday during a preliminary hearing for Guy Lipscomb, 19. Lipscomb is not a KU student.

The women said Lipscomb threatened to get a gun and shoot them as they were standing in the parking lot near the towers Sept. 22.

“He said, ‘I have no problem shooting you guys. I have nothing going on in my life. I’m not as fortunate as you, and I have no problem going to get my gun,’” one of the victims testified.

The incident occurred after an earlier fight in the parking lot of the Burge Union that involved members of KU’s football and basketball teams.

One victim, a fifth-year senior majoring in African-American studies, said Lipscomb appeared to be injured from the earlier fight and looked out of place.

“I felt threatened, obviously, because I didn’t know who he was,” the victim said. “His lip was busted and he didn’t look like he belonged.”

The other victim, a current member of the track team, said she had seen Lipscomb at the previous incident at the Burge Union, and she testified that Lipscomb may have perceived her to be on the opposite side of that fight.

The Burge Union fight, which took place about an hour earlier, resulted in an injury to KU basketball guard Tyshawn Taylor and was followed by another altercation between members of the two teams the next day outside Wescoe Hall.

The women were not injured in the incident at the towers.

At the conclusion of Tuesday’s hearing, Judge Robert Fairchild found there was enough evidence to bind Lipscomb over for trial on two counts of making criminal threats. Lipscomb is free on bond.

Lipscomb’s attorney entered a not guilty plea on behalf of his client, and the judge scheduled a jury trial for March 31.

Comments

number1jayhawker 10 years, 3 months ago

What the heck does this guy, no pun intended, have to do with the earlier fight at the Burge Union? Who does he know? BB player or FB player?

Matt Bowers 10 years, 3 months ago

number1 brings up a good point here. Who is this guy, who does he know, and what was he doing on campus?

Rock Chalk

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

So, he didn't say he had a gun at the scene and nobody saw a gun and he only made a threat. It must be nice for the legal system there to be able to conider a verbal threat a criminal offense. In most communities, unless a person was witnessed with a weapon being used in a threatening maner, charges could not be brought. There must be more to this than is being reported here, as usual.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

On another totally different subject. This guy has the same expression on his face as most of the recruits had at Late Night! I'm coming up with a theory. Let you know later.

JHawkins 10 years, 3 months ago

Perfect, we've found our scapegoat. It's not the BB or FB teams fault. It's this guy!

KUFan90 10 years, 3 months ago

Dumb to call this guy the fall guy. This doesn't shift any blame to him from the teams or anything. IMO this is an unrelated event. Newsworthy, maybe, like any other allegations of a crime being committed. But not worth reporting on a sports page IMO.

JayCeph 10 years, 3 months ago

Right, how could this POSSIBLY be relevant to the sports section of a KU board? I mean, it isn't as if it is directly related to the fight that involved the basketball and football teams, the very same fight that injured TT... I mean, let's get real. The supposed victims aren't even on a KU athletic team (not even something like Track or Volleyball).

What? Oh, you mean.. oh. Oops. Strike that. I guess it IS germane to the topic of sports... my ''bad' yo.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

What??????????

There was a fight in Lawrence between Tyshawn Taylor & a football player?

Lance Hobson 10 years, 3 months ago

These events seem earily similar to the events at UCONN last week. We're just lucky no one was hurt worse. Campus security needs to step it up a notch.

honk_for_hawks 10 years, 3 months ago

Connecting this to the fight is completely unfair to the athletes. They screwed up but they don't have a connection mentioned in the story other than him possibly being at the scene of the fight which had well over a hundred people at the scene. And memhawk, it is considered a criminal offense to threaten someone with a deadly weapon, even if the weapon isn't present at the time.

KCatty 10 years, 3 months ago

Threatening someone in that manner is assault. Assualt means you put someone in fear for their safety.

gardenjay 10 years, 3 months ago

The 'Fall Guy?' What about just 'the Guy'?

Who busted this guy's lip in the first place?

It seems like one thing that would make Jayhawker Towers safer is inside Jayhawker Towers. It also seems like what this case really does is empowers other people to beat the living carp out of this guy in a totally different way. This is not the way to create a safe society. Just remember this when you read about 'repeat offenders'; it's no wonder.

You also have to love how each situation is divorced from all of its boundary and initial conditions. The legal system, now that they have branded him, will 'get to that later' if his attorney takes the time to bother. By then, the whole thing will be boiled down to something totally different from reality. You would get an 'F' in physics trying to solve a differential equation without using boundary and initial conditions.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Let me get this straight.

If I was to mention to someone that I might, at some time in the future, leave the premises where we are talking and bring a weapon back there or to another location and possibly do harm to that person with a weapon that I may or may not even possess, I could be guilty of a crime? And, I could be detained by the police with the understanding that I merely mentioned that I might follow through on this action?

I understand the threat of physical harm being traumatic. I understand an actual physical assault being traumatic.I do not understand the criminal implications of threatening someone with an act that they can avoid because it involves actions that may or may not take place with an instrument that may or may not be used at some time in the future.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Memhawk:

There is assault, telling someone you will hurt them.

There is battery, the actual hurting them.

Demonstration of what we've learned:

I'd like to assault some ribs right now. Cows are now scared of the pending battery that will fall upon them.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Wells -

See, that's what happens when you live in Texas. BBQ seems to morph into the beef genre rather than the genre intended by the Supreme Being. the PIG!

I also disagree with you on your explanation of assault and battery. Assault is a physical action whereby a person is harmed. Battery is the degree and nature of the assault. I was referring to the "threat" of an assault.The mere threat shouldn't be punishable under law if no means to inflict physical harm is used, and no physical harm has transpired. It's a fine line and one that has surely been judged incorrectly in some courts by some judges. A threat is akin to harrasement in the truest sense. Harrasement is not in itself a crime, even though it might lead to a crime.

Now, I'm worked up. I need ribs too! Mine,however,will be like the ones in my avatar.

bad_dog 10 years, 3 months ago

memhawk, your understanding of assault and battery is incorrect. The following citations are to Kansas statutes.

Statute 21-3408: Assault. Assault is intentionally placing another person in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm. Assault is a class C person misdemeanor.

Therefore, if you tell someone you have a gun and you are going to go get it and shoot them, the only real question for the jury was whether the issuer of the statement "intentionally" placed you in "reasonable apprehension" of "immediate bodily harm". No physical contact is required to be guilty of assault.

Statute 21-3412: Battery. (a) Battery is: (1) Intentionally or recklessly causing bodily harm to another person; or

(2)   intentionally causing physical contact with another person when done in a rude, insulting or angry manner.

(b)   Battery is a class B person misdemeanor.