Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rejuvenated Little puts last year’s injuries behind

Kansas forward Mario Little drives to the bucket against North Dakota State forward Dejaun Flowers during the first half Friday, March 20, 2009 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

KU coach Self looking to sort through deep roster

KU coach Bill Self might be coaching the deepest team in the program's history. That could create some interesting decisions early in the season.

Too polite to issue a no-comment or walk away from an interview, Mario Little nonetheless makes it clear he’d rather not discuss a painful subject — the 2008-09 season, his first as a Jayhawk.

“I’m done with last year. Last year was just ... interesting,” Little said.

The 6-foot-5, 210-pounder from Chicago, who arrived at Kansas as Rivals.com’s No. 1-ranked juco player, was a shadow of the standout who earned All-America honors his sophomore season at Chipola College.

A stress fracture in Little’s lower left leg sidelined him from mid-October until Dec. 5. Just as the leg started to feel better, he broke his left hand at practice on Dec. 16.

“I wasn’t at full strength. It was tough to try to keep up with the guys,” Little said. “I wasn’t able to go until January. I wasn’t in shape because I was just sitting down letting my leg heal. I felt out of shape. I had a couple good games.

“That was last year,” he repeated.

Little, who played effectively during KU’s 2008 Labor Day weekend trip to Canada, made his official Jayhawk debut on Jan. 3 — a zero-point, five-rebound, 10-minute outing against Tennessee.

Playing out of position at power forward, he hit 10 of 10 shots and scored 24 points in victories over Texas A&M; (Jan. 19) and Iowa State (Jan. 24).

After combining for 22 points and nine rebounds in a win against Oklahoma State (Feb. 7) and a loss to Missouri (Feb. 9), Little failed to score more than seven points or grab more than six rebounds in a game the rest of the way.

“I felt I was in a slump a long time. I don’t think I got out of it,” said Little, who averaged 4.7 points and 3.2 rebounds in ’08-09 after averaging 15.2 points and 5.5 boards at Chipola.

Little had surgery on April 17 in which a rod was placed in his lower left leg.

He was back on the court in mid-June, preparing for his second and final season at KU.

“My leg is good. My shin is good. I feel like I’m at least 90, 95 percent,” Little said. “If I’m healthy, I’m confident in everything I do. I have my own personal goals to get back right and play like I usually play.”

That also means playing where he’s most comfortable — at small forward instead of power forward.

“I don’t go with the bigs. I go with the guards unless one of the bigs is messing up and they need an extra (big),” Little said.

As to why he prefers the backcourt to the frontcourt:

“You get to create — play instead of just setting screens,” Little said. “I can’t post somebody up, drop step and dunk, so ... ”

KU coach Bill Self isn’t ready to proclaim Little solely a perimeter player.

“I don’t see him anywhere yet,” Self said. “A lot may depend ... do you play him there (3-spot) if Marcus (Morris) is playing there? You still have Travis (Releford) and potentially Brady (Morningstar, second semester). It’s kind of a crowded house in that one spot. Of the house, nobody has stepped forward yet. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Self believes Little is capable of thriving on the major-college level.

“I’ve not seen Mario play healthy,” Self said. “He’s moving better than he has at any point in time since he’s been here. I think he’ll find his way. He showed flashes last year of being effective, but his health was never 100 percent.”

Little sacrificed for the good of the team last season. He seriously considered a red shirt, but decided instead to play in pain while helping out a thin frontcourt.

“He helped us win games,” Self said. “It was the right decision from my vantage point, not selfish (decision). If he was not healthy this year, we could always red-shirt him this year. We didn’t recruit him and he didn’t come here to red-shirt. He came to impact our program. He did that the best he could last year.”

Little realizes he’ll have to earn all the minutes he gets.

“You don’t worry about individual stuff here at Kansas,” Little said. “If we do well, the pie is big enough for all of us. It’s not an individual thing, just come out and work hard, try to contribute to the team.”

Little won’t call himself one of the best players on the team. He will proclaim himself THE best in one area, though.

“I am the best dancer, hands down,” Little declared.

Indeed, he was the most rhythmic of all Jayhawks at last Friday’s Late Night in the Phog.

“I thought Mario acted like he looked like he knew what he was doing,” Self said in agreement.

KU’s coach is rooting for Little to emerge as more than a solid-gold dancer this year.

“Coach and I had a lot of talks over the summer and after the season about me getting healthy and being able to show who I really am,” Little said. “I’m definitely focused.”

Hoops recruiting update

Terrence Jones, a 6-8 senior basketball forward from Portland’s Jefferson High, has eliminated Kansas University from his list of schools. His mom tells Rivals.com the finalists are Washington, Oklahoma, UCLA, Kentucky and Oregon.

Comments

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Jones saw Mr. Robinson and saw no minutes and I think he was correct in thinking that way...The Morris twins and Robinson should all be back next season and Jones had 0 minutes lined up for next season...I dont want a player who is afraid of competition anyways.

kingpin 10 years, 3 months ago

oh please. not every recruit is going to want to come to kansas. ...but whatever you need to do to rationalize why so and so eliminated kansas from his TOP 5 :/

KU1992 10 years, 3 months ago

this isn't a big deal(Jones). this guy was never going to come here.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I hope to see big things from Mario this year. His commitment last year in not taking a redshirt is highly commendable. Keep on working hard and keep that great attitude.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

IMHO, and I hate to bring up the "Incidents", but I think those 2.5 weeks of the coaches focusing on the current team lost some valuable time when they should have beeen on the phones or out recruiting. I am sure Self and the staff did a great job of staying in touch with the guys they really want, but guy like Terrence Jones, who was probably in a similar Lance Stephenson situation, wasn't going to come because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Harrison Barnes. That is the only thing I fear with our current recruiting tactics. I love the fact we are going after Top 5 recruits, but what happens if you miss? I know KU would have been okay this year had Calipari stayed in Memphis and the Henry's stayed where they were, but I don't want to see this program turn into Duke. Coach K and Duke have put all their eggs in one basket with certain recruits over the last 5 years and have shot blank after blank. Granted they are still getting Top 15 guys (Randolph, McRoberts, Paulus, Elliott Williams, etc), but they have also shot a lot of blanks. I wonder what happens if KU misses out on Barnes? Roscoe Smith and Terrence Jones are off the shelf.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

my wish list: 1. Barnes 2. Knight 3. Payne

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 3 months ago

Dynomite: you hope to smoke a year old roach? That's disgusting. I got you man. Stop by and we'll roll one up fresh...

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Just give me UNC on the way to another Championship!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Everybody wants Barnes, because he's a great player.

But we don't need Barnes.

We need an impact PG and a great center prospect.

"LIttles" who can't play the point in high school, can't really ever get to be impact PGs in college either. Tyshawn and Elijah are 2s. CJ is the only true 1 we'll have next year and it is doubtful he'll stick due to age.

"Bigs" don't become dominant forces until sophmore year. Even with Kieff, Withey, and TRob, we need a big developing next year.

Payne and Selby are what we need next year. Barnes would just be creating another super team...not a bad thing by the way. But...

Selby and Payne and clear the lane.

Timmay97 10 years, 3 months ago

I want Barnes just so nobody else gets him. :-)

honk_for_hawks 10 years, 3 months ago

I agree with wanting payne, but I think I would rather have knight than selby. He's bigger, stronger, and has more potential from what I've heard. Barnes won't want to come if x somehow stays though. But replacing cole, sherron, and x with payne, knight, and barnes would mean we wouldn't miss a beat.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

Questions for the Peanut Gallery:

1] X as "OAD" then Barnes as a "OAD"....or......Xavier for 2 years

2] Knight as a "OAD" then Elijah.....or......Selby for 2 years

3] Withey for 4 years...or.....Payne for 2 years.

Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate: Love your posts, but I have to disagree with you. As much as I want Barnes and Selby, Barnes is more of a commodity than Josh Selby or Brandon Knight at the moment. Even if KU loses out on both Selby and Knight, KU is "Log-Jammed" at the guard spots. I guess it would kind of depend whether or not Tyshawn Taylor leaves or not, but we won't know that until after the season. Going with the idea that Taylor stays, that leaves Elijah Johnson, Royce Woolridge, Tyrel Reed, and Brady Morningstar as our future guards. Russell Robinson wasn't recruited to be a point guard, but slowly transitioned into that position. I don't think we all realize how good Elijah Johnson is going to be.

KU's immediate need and most important position is a slashing, creating, and shooting 3 man or wing. With Mario Little gone and with all the talk of X leaving, that only leaves Travis Releford as our next great 3 man. I like Releford, but I don't see it happening. Someone needs to fill the "Rush Spot" and as history has shown (Last Year), the Jayhawks are not very good when they have vacancy in this position.

Bill Self has shown he can recruit point guards and combo guards with the best of them. That is Bill Self's strength and his track record all the way back to his Illinois days, even Tulsa days, have shown that. Even if KU misses out on Selby or Knight or a prolific point guard in this class, KU has enough weapons to produce next year and get a good point guard in the class of 2011. The "3" or "Rush Spot" is the most vital position in Self's offense and it truly is what opens up the middle for the Hi-Lo to work effectively. If KU loses out on Barnes and X leaves next year who is going to be the slashing "Rush Spot" that KU desperately needs?

KU is kind of in a tough postion because we won't know until Spring whether or not Tyshawn or X will leave for the draft. It is known that Barnes will make his decision in November during the early signing period and that doesn't bode well for KU unless Self has told Barnes without a doubt that X is leaving. Signing Selby or Knight is the easy choice because we all know that Sherron is leaving, but that spot can be easily replaced by Taylor (Should he stay), EJ, Woolridge, or possibly Lamb should he sign. Also, I wouldn't count out a guy like Tyrel Reed. I think KU is stock-piled even with Collins departure at the guard and Russell Robinson positions.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

oakvillejayhawk:

1) X for two years-I'll take an NBA caliber talent with one year under his belt in Self's system over a same caliber type of a player with zero years experience under Self's system. X anyday of the week-that was any easy decsion.

2) The good thing is that if Selby is here 2 years that means KU will still have EJ as it's Mario Chalmers so I would again take Selby 2 years anyday of the week. I also want Selby as my point guard more so than Knight. Let Knight go to Kentucky.

3) The bad part is that Withey will only be here 2.5 more years and he won't leave before he is senior. Even with Withey graduating in a KU uniform, KU is still going to have to sign a "Big" whether or not they get Payne or not. It very well could be Payne for 2.5 more years (4 years in your example) and Payne for 2 years at the sametime. If it's not Payne it needs to be somebody else to help Withey down low.

4) I don't quite understand this question. Are you saying that Bill Self won't win another Championship in the next 10 years? I would want Bill Self for the next 10 years and get the Championship this upcoming year. Should Bill Self leave after the Jayhawks win the National Championship this year, I would be completely fine with that. Only after a Championship though.

5)I would like to see Coach Cal walking Paris Hilton's Dogs

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Gotta go with kushaw on this one –

KU will be loaded at the guard spot next year. Self has always preferred the combo guard approach as opposed to having a true PG. And, who thinks CJ won’t be here next year or the year after that? It’s not like he needs the money.

I can see Self going after another Big if/when Cole leaves. But, to think that landing Harrison Barnes would be no big deal seems odd to me. The fact that we will lose Mario Little and the probability we may lose Xavier makes landing HB very important.

Jaybate, I enjoy a lot of your posts, but that last one still has me scratching my head.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

kushaw

Well Done...my bad on #4...I meant to say that trading a sure NC for 10 years of possible NC opportunities. As a NC Coach, Bill is already in elite company. Winning a second would put him at a rarified position of respect. How many living two or more NC coaches are there...Wooden [barely], Knight, Williams, Coach K, Crum, Calhoun, Dean Smith......??????? It was meant to be a "bird in hand vs two birds in the bush" question.

b_hux 10 years, 3 months ago

I love reading this stuff, and as we all know, HCBS knows best what he needs. My thought is that Self will do what he has always done and sign the player who best fits KU. I truly believe Payne is going to sign with the Hawks. I have seen Royce play and I'll tell you he's not nearly the overall player that EJ, CJ, Tyshawn and Tyrel (which I never thought I would say) are. I've been very critical of Tyrel over his career so far, but he's improved each year and he's probably the hardest worker on the team which you have to respect.

I would love to see KU land Knight. He's a hard-nosed defensive guard with more skill than most guards like that KU has landed. A faster more athletic Mario Chalmers who's not as good of a shooter. Selby and Lamb I don't know a lot about, but they're both highly regarded and I trust in HCBS to know who will fit best. But I don't understand the talk of why we would not want Barnes. Even if X stays, which is not likely, why wouldn't we want both guys assuming they both wanted to be here? Doesn't make sense to me. I see Barnes probably landing at Duke, but I certainly would want a well-rounded person and player like him on my roster!

All of this discussion also begs the question ... who will HCBS redshirt? He's talked about redshirting two or more guys. Is Tyrel one of those guys? EJ? Travis? It can't be CJ because he's already used his plus he's 23 to start with. It's not going to be Thomas based on comments from Self and fellow players. Brady's already used his redshirt. Withy has already redshirted. HCBS needs Mario's scholarship. The twins aren't going to redshirt. Who other than Tyrel do you see redshirting, or is he even an option? Just curious.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

One Nut in the Peanut Gallery Responds:

1] X as "OAD" then Barnes as a "OAD"....or......Xavier for 2 years. -->Xavier for two years.

2] Knight as a "OAD" then Elijah.....or......Selby for 2 years -->Selby for two years. Elijah at 2. In D1, continuity, not cleanliness, is next to godliness.

3] Withey for 4 years...or.....Payne for 2 years. -->Withey for 4. See above.

4] Trade another KU National Championship for HCBS moving to the Show with Danny taking over......or .....leave it as is for the next ten years. --> Since Bill said, even when he just signed for security, that he would not rule out going to the show, another ring in the hand is worth more in the bush; then Danny.

5] Coach Cal abducted by aliens ...or.....Coach Cal become Paris Hilton's dog walker. -->Cal becomes Hilton's dog walker only to find out Paris is an alien!!

Now inquiring minds know!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

By the way, I would hope that Bill Self wouldn't want to test the waters at the next level. This is just my opinion, but should Bill Self win just one more championship whether it be now or in the next 10 years, he will go down as the greatest Coach in Kansas Basketball History. However, I think Bill Self has an opportunity to tie Coach K (At the moment at least) and Knight for 3 NCAA Championships. There is nothing I would enjoy more than Bill Self finding some way to get more Championships than Roy Williams. At the very least tie him! I would die a happy man knowing that Bill Self was greater than Roy Williams. In Kansas History Bill Self already is, but in college basketball Williams still has the upper hand.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Regarding my comments on needing Selby and Payne, and merely wanting Barnes, let me clarify.

We have to get an impact PG for BillBall to stay the dynamic, winning thing that it is. I don't care if its Selby, Knight, or Isaiah Thomas cloned from DNA from one of his nose hairs, or whomever else. But we have to get one. We don't have another proven PG on this team capable of giving us match-up advantage and impact plays most nights, right now and Royce coming next year certainly will not give us such. CJ is our best hope, but there is a lot of reason to think he will be gone next season. Tyrel is the only true PG on this team other than CJ, and, as much as I see him staying a big contributor, he is not good enough to give us match up advantage and impact as a starting PG next season.

I am a huge fan of Tyshawn, but he isn't a PG. Elijah isn't a PG either. Guys who are not good enough to play the point in high school tend not to be good enough to play it in college. And good as Russell Robinson was, he was not a dynamic enough player to take us all the way at from the point. We had to use a green, and injured Sherron bCollins to get the spark at the one that a champion needed.

Frankly, we are spoiled rotten by Sherron Collins and have completely forgotten what it is like not to have the match-up advantage most nights at the point. Top notch natural PGs giving match-up advantage and impact plays are so rare. And they are so essential to champions. Even if we can't find another guy as good as Sherron, we dare not fool ourselves into thinking we can play Top 5 program grade basketball with 2s playing the 1. Won't work. You can fake 2 with a 1 or a 3. But you can't fake a 1.

Regarding the need for Payne, we have to have a 4 big rotation to make Bill Ball work. We can sneak by with 3 players playing most of the minutes, as we did when Cole was a green frosh, but there has to be a fourth for bridge in the lane during foul prone games. Cole is gone. Self wants Marcus at the 3 so bad he can taste it. That means Kieff, Withey, Robinson are it. That means we need a fourth for bridge unless I'm forgetting someone. Payne is the man.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Could Marcus play the 4 next year? Of course, he could. But he's apt never to be more than an adequate 4 and he could be a great 3. Therefore, it is incumbent we get Payne to free Marcus up for the 3.

So what about Barnes? Yeah, we need him, too, to have a royal flush.

But I'm talking about necessities, versus best of all possible worlds.

Self proved last year he can fake a 3, with a 2. It wasn't the best of all possible worlds, but it got us far into the Madness.

He also proved last year it is much tougher to fake a 4, or a 5. When Marcus and Kieff had to fill gaps as first year bigs, they did okay. When Brady had to fill gaps as a fake 3 he did okay. But when the Twins had to produce for big games, they consistently couldn't give what was needed. When Brady had to produce for big games, about half the time he did and about half the time he didn't.

It is easier to fake 3s than 4s and 5s.

Therefore, the necessity is Payne, not Barnes.

To have a great team, we certainly need to get Selby, Barnes and Payne, or their equivalents.

But you can't have it all every frigging time.

Maybe I'll revise my jingle this way.

Selby and Payne and pray for Barnes.

It doesn't rhyme, but it makes the point clearly enough. :-)

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

I think we have:

Lamb Barnes- I think he's taking all this hype in stride. He's not a person of many words. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he chooses Duke!! Unlikely, but think KU and Duke are his final options. I think he's leaning KU. Payne

I hate to say it but all you Selby lovers are going to be disappointed! I think Knight goes to uk and Selby will be either memphis or uk!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Self said he might throw 2 or 3 redshirts.

If two: Elijah and Travis.

If three:

Option A: Elijah, Travis and Tyrel.

Tyrel could make great use out of a red shirt year to pursue his academics and mature even more.

Option B: Elijah, Travis and Little.

Any rules prohibit red shirting Little? Not sure. True, Self has talked at every chance about Little not being part of the future. But Self really doesn't need Little at all this year and he might need him desperately next year. The fact is: not only Xavier, but Marcus might jump. Even if Marcus does not jump, Self will need a backup at the 3. And red shirting Mario Little would be a heck of a lot nicer than just giving him a sharp stick in the eye and booting him into the cruel world, after his well known sacrifice for the team last year. If Self signed a great 3 in the early signing period, he would probably say, sayonara Mario Little. But if he has to wait and gamble on a getting a three in the late signing period, throwing Mario a red, when he's sitting on the bench anyway, would quickly put a bird in the hand at the 3.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

kushaw,

You never need apologize for disagreeing with me, as you are usually right and I am often wrong. :-)

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

With Morningstar out first semester and Reed being in as good of shape as he is in, I really don't think he is going to redshirt. I think it will be Elijah and Travis R.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

I asked this before but is there anywhere to view the scrimmage? even better, all of late night in the phog? dont care about the ESPNU special. The player I am most excited about seeing play this season is Thomas Robinson. CJ and Mario will hopefully maintain their health this season and become consistent contributers.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

heterohilfiger...I came to that same conclusion about a week and a half ago. Because of first semester restrictions...no Jeff, no Brady...you need Markieff and Tyrell to provide depth. That leaves Travis and EJ.

The bitch about that is, I cannot recall in my 43 years as a Jayhawk a recruit more excited, more proud, more ready to fight to the death for the Crimson and Blue than EJ. I'm not sure you can put a value on that kind of intangible quality!!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

BULLETIN:

Memphis nuked. No change in pre-season Top 25 rankings.

mstrausz 10 years, 3 months ago

I hope Little amazes all of us now that he is healthy. I hope he is the suprise this year.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

Late Wednesday in Bastogne:

Mario Little is in Bastogne and he is saying, "Nuts!"

He is surrounded on all sides by superior numbers and talent. There is so much talent at the four that it is pushing Marcus to the three, where the three is crowded even without Marcus; this means Little is likely squeezed out of any significant minutes at either the 3, or the 4, after Withey and Brady arrive in January.

Like the officer in Bastogne who said nuts to the Germans, Little badly needs a General Patton to say, "A man that eloquent needs to be saved."

But is Bill Self a Patton kind of coach?

Or is he the kind of coach who gave two-year man Rod Stewart minimal PT except when Brandon was coming back slowly, and then none at all, and said, "Life is full of tough breaks. Have fun out in the real world. You'll always be a Jayhawk. Good bye."

Frankly, Little's best hope is a very long shot. He has to hope for the Harrison Barnes-es of the world to sign early with other teams, or hold out till spring and give Self a strong feeling Self will not be their number one option come spring.

Little also needs Self to expect Xavier will be an OAD, and he needs Self to expect that there is a 50/50 chance that Marcus Morris may go pro after this season, too.

If the above stars align accordingly, then Self has to think seriously about red shirting Mario Little to ensure at least one true three on next year's team.

If not, the brave soldier that is Mario Little, the man who sacrificed a year for the team last year, the man who is now courageously yelling nuts, when seemingly hopelessly surrounded; that Mario Little is very apt to get the Rod Stewart, two-year-tough-luck treatment. He is apt to leave KU with nothing but some hardware in his shin.

Let us all hope, for Mario Little's sake, that Bill Self has already met with the coaching staff and given the order to march into Bastogne and throw this man a red shirt.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Regarding what was discussed yesterday with Wall --

What a bombshell.

Wall's first SAT a 700 & his next a...

1300????

It appears UK has done it to themselves again (obviously Calipari has nothing to do with it). Is there anyway the NCAA can look the other way on this so closy after Rose, Worldwide Wes & Dozier got caught?

Does anyone know the city Wall got the 1300?

I.e. Did he take it both times in Carolina or once in Carolina & once in WorldWide Wes's favorite metropolis, Detroit?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm a little perplexed with the last couple of posts talking about Elijah Johnson red-shirting? Somebody help me out here because I can only think of one Top 25 recruit over the last decade that red-shirted in their first season. The only recruit I can think of is Brian Butch who almost came to Kansas, but ended up playing for Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin Badgers. I am definitely interested to see if other top recruits red-shirted in their first season, but I don't see Elijah Johnson red-shirting. I could be wrong, but I don't see Bill Self red-shirting one of the most athletic players he has ever recruited. Unless his knee injury isn't fully recovered or there is something we don't know about in EJ's injury from last year, I just don't see him sitting down for the year.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

The Shiver on Terrance Jones- Looks like either UCLA or uk I wish both Arizona and Kansas the best of luck,” said Mashia-Jones. ”We still plan on taking our official visits to UCLA on November 6th and Kentucky on October 27th for their blue and white game. We will also take an unofficial visit to University of Oregon on October 31st,” added Mashia-Jones.

I just want to know what Coach Sleazy is doing to to lure players? I don't care if it's legal or illegal by NCAA Regs, it blows my mind and reminds me of Blue Chips with Nick Nolte, playing Coach Sleazy!! What is going on with the friends of the hillbillies? They will do anything to bring back that b-ball tradition, at all costs!! sad...

You know all the Kensucky fans are sweating in their shorts over what he's doing! They want to pretend he is clean and one of these days, the stink is going to smell!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Ralster: Great post and for me it is a little more personal because of my proximity to the State of Kansas now days. I live smack dab in the middle of ACC country and I have to live with Tar Heels day in and day out everyday in my life now days. I also didn't have a problem with Roy once he left, but I am always constantly reminded everyday on how good Roy is as a coach and unfortuantly I am just kind of tired of it in my adult years because my entire youth (Including College) was mostly spent in or around the State of Kansas as a Kansas fan. I had others to share my enjoyment and passion for "My Team". Now, it's just a constant struggle to have a decent conversation with someone in public about college basketball. Living in the Carolinas, I am always reminded of the "Let Downs", but also a first hand witness to the sucess of North Carolina, which irks me just a little. I can't help it, it gets under my skin a bit, but the good thing about all this is that it has increased my passion for my state (I will always be a Kansas), my people, and the great university that I have rooted for since my first memory I can recollect from the Cedric Hunter, Greg Dreiling, Carl Henry, and Ron Kellogg years.

As for my Tally of Championships, the fans down here live and die by statistics. I know it's petty, but most fans down here feel like North Carolina is a "Superior" school and basketball program to that of KU and that again kind of irks me. Again, on a grand scale not a big deal, but for those of us that love college basketball and talking about it, I love debating and pushing out my chest as much as I can for "My Team". LOL!