Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dugan Arnett’s KU football notebook

KU not fooled by Sooners record

The Oklahoma football team might be down by its own lofty standards — struggling to a 3-3 record to start the year and having dropped to No. 25 after losing two of their last three games — but Kansas University coach Mark Mangino is far from comfortable heading into the teams’ 2:30 p.m. matchup Saturday in Lawrence.

Despite their unimpressive record, the Sooners have lost their three games by a total of just five points, including one-point setbacks to then-No. 20 BYU and current No. 8 Miami in games OU was without — at least in part — all-American quarterback Sam Bradford.

“We’re not fooled at all by their record,” Mangino said during Monday morning’s Big 12 coaches teleconference. “Anybody that looks into that and thinks they’re not a really good football team really doesn’t know college football.”

Buffaloes’ Hansen a longtime Reesing fan

Having long looked up to KU quarterback Todd Reesing, Colorado sophomore signal-caller Tyler Hansen considered his team’s 34-30 victory over the Jayhawks a particularly thrilling event.

Looking very Reesing-like in his efforts, Hansen racked up 209 yards of total offense and two touchdowns in just his third career start last Saturday, and afterward, according to the Longmont (Colo.) Times-Call, made it a point to track down Reesing following the game to praise his play.

“I went up to him and was like, ‘Hey, man, I just want to say that was awesome,’ and I said, ‘I really look up to you,’” Hansen told the paper, adding that he hopes to develop into the same type of player Reesing has been in his three years as the Jayhawks’ starter. “He didn’t say anything back, because he was really frustrated, but I just wanted to get that out because I really do look up to him.”

KU-Texas Tech game to air on ABC

The Jayhawks Oct. 31 matchup with Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas, will begin at 2:30 p.m. and be televised by ABC, the Big 12 Conference announced Monday.

The game will mark KU's second straight appearance on ABC, following Saturday’s game against Oklahoma in the same time slot.

Comments

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 3 months ago

Reesing doesn't tend to stay on the field too long after a loss. He has a habit of finding his way to the tunnel as fast as he can. I'm glad that Hansen came out and said this, because otherwise it may have appeared somewhat arrogant and almost as taunting. Both quarterbacks played well. KU had a heck of a comeback, just ended up being too little too late.

KU 10 years, 3 months ago

About KU playing consecutive FOOTBALL games on ABC:

"Have I died and gone to heaven, Will?"

"No, son............this is Kansas."

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 3 months ago

Competitive? Or embarrassed? Reesing needs to step up and play like he is capable. Maybe lay off the drink for the rest of the season. He seems like he comes into games fuzzy as hell and needs a half to get warmed up. Yeah, I know, it is sacrilege to say anything bad about Todd the God... but he has had more than a couple bad quarters so far this year.

kcgregory 10 years, 3 months ago

Calling out Sherron and Reesing this morning, Freeze? I think you're just trying to draw a rise out of people.

OmaHawk88 10 years, 3 months ago

Classy move by Tyler Hansen. I have a feeling he will be giving Big 12 defenses fits for the rest of this season and beyond. Sometimes it takes a new spark plug to re-energize a team and its fans. Very similar to what happened to KU when Todd had his redshirt pulled.

There was a lot of preseason talk here about stealing a win from one of the South teams. I don't think we will have a better opportunity than this week against OU. Bradford's injury has overshadowed the other injuries OU has suffered. I always want a KU opponent to be at full strength so the pollsters and national pundits (Mark May especially) can't say we won because they were without their best players. A win this week may not move us up much higher in the polls, but it would go a long way toward winning the North. GO JAYHAWKS!!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

A friend of mine suggested there should have been an asterisk for that game. Some people care.

I, however, live in the real world were injuries are a part of sports -- especially a contact sport like football. Every team has the chance of a marquee player going down; it's just part of life, and a part of sports. Live with it and move on.

We can only play the people they put on the field.

Not the army you wish you had... or however that goes....