Friday, October 16, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Kansas teammates, from left, Brady Morningstar, Mario Little and Tyshawn Taylor have a laugh as they peruse the media guide during Media Day on Thursday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Morningstar apologizes

Kansas University junior guard Brady Morningstar, who issued a written apology to fans following his arrest on suspicion of driving while intoxicated, on Thursday reiterated he’s sorry for his actions.

“I’m upset with my decisions,” said Morningstar, who has been suspended from playing in games first semester. “I made a tough mistake, something nobody should ever do. I’ve got to live with it, be a man about it, take your medicine and move on.”

Morningstar plans to contribute at practice.

“My goal is to help the young guys, make sure they learn the system,” he said.

Sophomore Tyshawn Taylor said the Jayhawks are doing their best to support their buddy.

“Whenever somebody on the team has a problem, Brady is the one to put his arm on your shoulder and ask what’s wrong,” Taylor said. “We’ll show him love, show him we’re here for him.”

Taylor’s thumb

Taylor said his dislocated left thumb is close to 100 percent healed, yet he might not participate in tonight’s Late Night in the Phog scrimmage.

“I haven’t talked to the trainer yet,” Taylor said. “I think I’ve been looking good, but I don’t want to take any chances of injury. It hasn’t set me back that much,” added Taylor, who was hurt on Sept. 22. “I’ve been getting a lot of shots up. I can shoot a little better now.”

Late Night will run from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in Allen Fieldhouse. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.

Withey’s recovering

KU freshman center Jeff Withey recently missed a week of workouts because of mono.

“I lost a couple pounds,” said Withey, who is listed as 7-foot, 225 pounds. “I feel a little drained after practice but am starting to feel a lot better.”

Parents in town

Several Jayhawks have parents now living in Lawrence.

The mothers of Sherron Collins, Taylor and the Morris twins live in Lawrence, as well as Withey’s mom and dad. The mother of Xavier and C.J. Henry is moving here, also.

Withey’s mom works at an elementary school in Topeka and his dad in construction. The Morris twins’ mom works for First Management. Taylor’s mom works at Hy-Vee.

“My mom lived in Florida awhile. She was going to move back to Florida (from New Jersey). I told her I want her to come here until I leave,” Taylor said. “She made it happen. My mom and two sisters are here.”

“My mom moved to Arizona when I did, too,” said Withey, a transfer from the University of Arizona originally from San Diego. “She wants to be there to support me and stuff. As soon as she found out the twins’ mom was here she was, ‘I’m definitely moving.’ All the moms have seen that and want to help their kids out.”

KU coach Bill Self has no problem with the parents living here.

“Times have changed. Across America, I think it’s a vogue thing to do,” Self said. “Parents are relocating or trying to get closer to watch their kids play more. It doesn’t make any difference to me. I want their support group close to them, but not at the expense of growing up.”

Self said he’ll talk to parents about anything except playing time. “That’d be a discussion you have with them one time,” Self said.

Rotation

Self said he envisions a rotation of eight or nine players, though he could use 10 early.

“We could throw a red shirt on two or three of ’em, too,” he said, not naming any red-shirt possibilities. “If I’m a young guy and thought I wasn’t going to be in the rotation and had a chance to start here eventually, then I’d want to be red-shirted. We’ll see how it plays out.”

New look

The Jayhawks are clean-shaven this year.

“No facial hair. As soon as I suggested very strongly we will be clean-shaven, C.J. said, ‘Oh gosh, just like the Yankees,’’’ Self joked of C.J. Henry, who played minor-league baseball for the New York Yankees.

George Steinbrenner allows no facial hair on his Yankee baseball players.

“It’s just to look sharp,” Self said.

Late Night TV info

Parts of tonight’s Late Night will be on TV. Metro Sports (Ch. 37, Sunflower Broadband) will air its Metro Madness show starting at 6:30 p.m. ESPNU (Ch. 141) will air a Midnight Madness special starting at 8 p.m.

Comments

Timmay97 10 years, 3 months ago

Unless I missed it, this is the first time I've heard Coach Self talk about red shirting ANYONE. Looks like at least one player could be red shirted this year. Any guesses on who? Releford?

KU1992 10 years, 3 months ago

haha i bet that clean shaven comment is to make the twins look like less of thugs.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

KU1992, I remember peiople calling Bill Laimbeer, Jason Sutherland, and Dennis Rodman thugs. They were basketball players and didn't have facial hair. Guys like Scot Pollard and Artis Gilmore had some great facial hair and I never remember anyone calling them a thug. Hummmm. Maybe the ref won't give Marcus a T this year if he is clean shaven when he bumps him?? ;-)

Actually, I like the no facial hair change coming from CJ. Shows leadership and a desire to make the team look classy.

ku_phanatik 10 years, 3 months ago

4 Sherron Collins/Guard - Starter 10 Tyshawn Taylor/Guard - Starter 1 Xavier Henry/Guard - Starter 21 Marcus Morris/Forward - Starter 45 Cole Aldrich/Center - Starter

13 C.J. Henry/Guard - Rotation 14 Tyrel Reed/Guard - Rotation 23 Mario Little/Forward - Rotation 22 Markieff Morris/Center - Rotation

5 Jeff Withey/Center - Reserve 12 Brady Morningstar/Guard - Reserve 0 Thomas Robinson/Forward - (Freshman) Reserve 15 Elijah Johnson/Guard - (Freshman) Reserve

41 Chase Buford/Guard - Possible Redshirt 40 Jordan Juenemann/Guard - Possible Redshirt 2 Conner Teahan/Guard - Possible Redshirt

24 Travis Releford/Guard - Redshirt 40 Jordan JuenemannGuard - Redshirt

Paul Brozik 10 years, 3 months ago

ku_phanatik

I'm positive Self is not talking about redshirting walk-ons. I think you are right about Releford. But I would add the two freshmen Johnson and Robinson to the possible redshirt list. Self said he only want to rotate 9. Why waste a year on guys who are going to sit?

Paul Brozik 10 years, 3 months ago

I will add that Self might not want redshirt Robinson just to keep the pressure on the Morris twins.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't think Self is talking about red shirting Thomas Robinson. Self describes him as having a motor that won't quit and how hard it will be to keep him off the floor - challenging minutes from the Morris twins specifically. Other players describe him as totally ripped and already built like a footballer. I believe the redshirts will likely go to Releford and potentially Johnson.

phillyh3 10 years, 3 months ago

i agree with releford and johnson redshirting and maybe reed as well although i doubt it since morningstar is suspended for the 1st semester

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I think it's pretty cool the parents have the ability to better experience the college athletics experience by moving to Lawrence. But man that is going to make Self earn his money. Can you imagine the potential dynamics of certain parents and their expectations while recruiting top players year in and out. It's clear what is acceptable and what is not according to Self. He obviously would like his players to mature and grow up which may be hard to do if the kid is still attached at the teat. I'm sure self already has the policy mapped out in his mind and will handle it exceptionally well. Another reason he's da man.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Who are our wak-ons this year? I haven't seen anything about the annual tryouts for the "scrubs".