Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Report: KU basketball player Morningstar had nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in system when arrested

Kansas guard Brady Morningstar pulls up for a shot during warmups before tipoff against Iowa State, Saturday, Jan. 24, 2009 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Report: KU basketball player Morningstar had nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in system when arrested

Suspended Kansas University basketball player Brady Morningstar had nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system when he was arrested for driving under the influence on Oct. 3.

Suspended Kansas University basketball player Brady Morningstar had nearly twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system when he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence on Oct. 3, according to a law enforcement report obtained by 6News and the Lawrence Journal-World.

In the report, Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Jeff Heryford said Morningstar passed his patrol car while driving 78 mph in a 70 mph zone and weaved out of a lane multiple times as he traveled west on the Kansas Turnpike.

The trooper said Morningstar failed four sobriety tests, almost fell down and had a blood-alcohol content of .144, which is more than the legal limit of .08.

Morningstar, 23, is scheduled to appear Friday in Douglas County District Court on charges of DUI, speeding and lane violations for the incident, which occurred at 3:25 a.m. Oct. 3, just east of Lawrence, court records said.

When Heryford tried to pull the vehicle over at mile post 205, he said Morningstar was “slow to react but eventually stopped properly on the right hand shoulder” of Interstate 70.

The trooper said that Morningstar had “an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath and that he had watery, bloodshot eyes.” The trooper also noticed a club stamp on Morningstar’s hand.

According to the trooper’s report, Morningstar was polite and cooperative, but used profanity. At first Morningstar said he had not been drinking, but later told the trooper he’d had a few beers, the report said.

While being transported to jail, Morningstar stated he “does not do jail, this is not me,” the trooper said, and asked the trooper if he “could make this go away.”

As a result of his arrest and violation of the basketball team’s curfew, the junior basketball guard from Lawrence has been suspended from playing in any games during the first semester.

Last Thursday, Morningstar wrote an apology letter to his fans saying he “used extremely poor judgment in driving after drinking and violating curfew.”

Comments

Jared Grillot 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow. Dang. There's your answer to, "Why the whole semester?"

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 3 months ago

This is not good. Doesn't sound like Brady just had one too many, but was out at a club during curfew and was trying to play the "i'm a star athlete" card with the cops. He got what he deserved after this. Not to mention endangering other people on the road. Hopefully he will get his head together after this.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 3 months ago

Geez, so much for he's just out visiting a girlfriend and barely had too much to drink. He was out clubbing and was completely malt liquored. It also doesn't fit the Jaybate scenario that something is going on with him. What was going on is that he was out when he shouldn't have been out and doing just about everything he shouldn't have been doing.

jp_pack14 10 years, 3 months ago

not that i am condoning his drinking and driving, but .144 is on the low end of the BAC's i routinely read in police reports. People also routinely initially start out saying they didn't drink, then admit to somewhere between 2 and 5. this is about what I figured had happened when the initial report came out. He's apologized and will serve a sizable suspension for his actions. let's get ready to play some ball now.

number1fanfromillinois 10 years, 3 months ago

A .144 BAC is nothing for a college student his age.

ObiWan 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm with you dynomitehawk. The LJWorld is on a mission to tarnish the reputation of KU athletics. Clearly Brady was in the wrong, but our local media needs to let it go.

ksharddem 10 years, 3 months ago

I literally have been gone for all of this and am coimg back to this way late so forgive my ignorance.
He went clubbing and was arrested for driving home alone? That's doesn't sound right to me. These basketball guys go everywhere together but this one time Brady drives to KC to go out alone and drive home?

d_prowess 10 years, 3 months ago

I am not going to fault the LJW for this. He is high profile in this town, as all the players and coaches are, so this is news and all they did was report the facts. Don't get down on the paper for actually doing their job. What we would need to be worried about is if this was available and they chose not to run it. What kind of news outlet would we have then? I don't like the publicity, but we can't ignore the negative either.

boxersdrule 10 years, 3 months ago

Beating a dead horse. Leave the kid alone. He's owned up to it. He's paying his price.

Very dissapointed w/ LJW coverage of late. Is this a dirt rag or newspaper???

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

Very stupid things to say, but he was drunk, and is paying a very high price for it. He'll come out of it a better person, and a better athlete.

dvo1990 10 years, 3 months ago

I don't like the reporting of what was said to the officer. I have never seen that in a article before, high profile or not!!!! What is the point of that? Oh yes, to smear Brady even more!!! Late Night is around the corner, how about more articles on that and Boot Camp!!

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

dynomite: So does the Chris Rock video: "How not to get your ass kicked by the police" apply to you???

We all have our stories... I'm just glad mine didn't land on the front page of the paper.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 3 months ago

I find it humorous there is a KC Beerfest advertisement on the right side of my screen for this article.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 10 years, 3 months ago

Yahweh-that's funny stuff.

But was there really a need to put this article out? We already knew he got a DUI, we really need to focus on moving on...

Fred Davis 10 years, 3 months ago

If you guys don't like LJW reporting on Morningstar's police report, then don't read the article and then bash the LJW. This isn't about kicking a kid when he's down, it's about a 23-year-old student-athlete getting in trouble with the law, and guess what, that police report is public record. If Morningstar doesn't want his name dragged through the mud, then don't stay out all night clubbing and then pass a trooper drunk at 3 am. Sorry Brady, but most people don't do jail either.

And for all the hypocrites saying they shouldn't report what was in the police report, again, a public document, don't give me this crap about people can go to the police station for that, guess what, that's what newspapers are for. Was everyone crying when the LJW world ran the pieces about Sherron's elevator stunt, or Tyshawn's latest episode? Please. Brady f'd up. And hopefully he learns from this, and who knows, maybe other kids and people can learn from this too.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 3 months ago

the BAC is not good, but it's the time that got him in the most trouble i believe. Coach Self emphasized the curfew the most in his impromptu news conference....i mean, good grief, after 3 a.m? that means he was out drinking somewhere, after the bars closed. and then to be on the highway besides?

just glad he or someone else didn't get hurt. he'll do his time, and then we'll see how it goes. he's just going to have to work extra hard.

championhawks 10 years, 3 months ago

If you don't want to be kicked while you are down don't do something so stupid. Like it or not, you are high profile when you go to KU and play basketball. Just because it is negative doesn't mean it should be dropped like it never happened. If it was something positive and the reporters didn't follow up on the original story with the details, everyone would be pissed off at the job they are doing

KUBlue0809 10 years, 3 months ago

.144 ? C'mon Brady you can hit higher than that! Weak sauce.

Doug LeMoine 10 years, 3 months ago

dynomitehawk: You really think that HCBS should ban this writer? Really? The LJW is delivering news related to a story that has ongoing relevance. When new facts emerge, they write about them. They're doing their jobs as journalists. The basketball program, and the university, should appreciate them for this. When baseless rumors circulate, or if the NCAA comes knocking about something, they can point at the rabid coverage of local journalists as evidence that they've got perfectly capable local watchdogs.

It's too bad that the story casts the program in a bad light, but if the LJW only picked good stories to report on then we all might as well just read the KU media guide or the Williams Fund's annual report. When the local reporters show that they've got teeth, our programs are held even more accountable and that's a good thing in the long run.

kirkhinrich10 10 years, 3 months ago

I think the reporting of this was completely uncessesary. Everyone knows that he had a DWI, which is embarassing enough, the reporting of his conversation with the officer is totally unfair. I see his "I don't do jail" and "officer can you take this away" comments as statements of disbelief at what had happened, not a genuine plea to the officer by playing the "athlete card". He already has to deal with the legal ramifications, along with the embarassment that the 16,300 people he is playing in front of every night along with the thousands of jayhawk fans watching on television know that he has a DWI; its unfortunate that they also have somewhat of a transcript that people can put another negative spin on, without knowing the contents of the conversation. LJW, i'm in full support of freedom of the press, but sometimes I really think you should look at the big picture when deciding if something is newsworthy. The fact of the matter is, the economy of Lawrence both directly and indirectly thrives around The University of Kansas, and without it you would be a much smaller publication and the sports section would be one page, one writer, covering firebird and chesty lion athletics. Publishing a story like this that is questionably relevent, puts a bad mark on the already tarnished image of our beloved athletics department as well as the source of this sports sections existence.

swkhawk24 10 years, 3 months ago

This sucks for Brady. I love how they put this stuff out for everyone to read. I got arrested for a DUI last year around this time on I-70 by the same officer as Brady. It's wild to see how how many people comment on this compared to my offense. It hurt just the same and I let down many people, along with myself. As a college student, I'm pretty pissed off at what the police officers let go here in Lawrence. Many of my friends, and their friends, and their friends drink and drive every night on the weekends. It just opens your eyes when you are the lucky few to get caught and your whole world is turned around. I haven't driven a car for over a year and its been the hardest year of my life. There are so many places I need to go but I can't because I can only go where the busses will take me. I know how Brady is feeling right now and I just want you to know I'm feeling for ya bud.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

This is highly embarrassing, but his actions were every bit as stupid as we expected. By far, the worst & most stupid action of the two week Madness was Brady's mistake...

Nothing shocking here -- just stupidity, for which he claims he will now walk the walk of a changed man. All we can do is hope that Tyshawn & Brady come out better men for these selfish highly publicized moments.

Now let's turn our attention to something more timely, like beating Colorado.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 3 months ago

Just glad he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 3 months ago

Every one of you that deemed this story unnecessary also clicked on this story to find out more about Brady's arrest. Obviously, the LJW did their job--serve the public with information they would want.

They shed some more insight into Brady's arrest, and just because the news is bad and it wasn't as innocent a situation as some of you were hoping doesn't mean the LJW has an agenda.

"Very dissapointed w/ LJW coverage of late. Is this a dirt rag or newspaper???"

It's no coincidence that this statement comes in the aftermath of the KU athletic teams becoming public relations nightmares. Some of you want to blame the messenger rather than all the punks playing sports at KU.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I certainly hope if I'm arrested my quotes to the police while in the squad car aren't quoted in the paper. Bush league, man. Bush league.

mvjayhawk,

If I remember correctly from my time in Kansas, the bars in Westport are open 'till 3 AM. And I'm guessing he didn't morph back to Lawrence. The drive would take a little time.

fansincewilt 10 years, 3 months ago

All those young kids that are contemplating similar actions need to hear all about the semester suspension and the embarrassment. Kids worship these players. I hope Brady gets his life together but the reporting is absolutely necessary. The information is well-served. Those who work with young men have the information needed to help guide them. Those who would attempt to justify these actions as "everyone does it" are being very irresponsible towards those young men that need to hear there are actually consequences for this kind of conduct.

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 3 months ago

I was at the Fieldhouse earlier today on the tour of all the renovations/amenities and there was Brady working his tail off in the weight room. He is a good kid (23 yr old...man) and will bounce back better than before. Nothing can be taken for granted or it all will be taken away. Good luck Brady!!

jumpinjayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Time to move on. The kid made a big mistake, he is paying the price. Many of you commenting,including me, have driven after having a few too many. We're just fortunate we never got stopped. Lets all support the kid in his time of need, and wish him well and a good year on the court. I, for one, plan to give the kid a huge ovation the first time he steps on the court. Not because he was caught drinking and driving, but because he knows he was wrong and he is taking steps to make it right. I wish you well Mr. Morningstar, good luck.

kvskubball 10 years, 3 months ago

Many people were speculating about what Brady had done to get pulled over, and how much he had to drink. Some were saying that he probably had just one too many.

Well, the LJWorld did a piece of investigative reporting. They got the facts and relayed them to us. Why is that a bad thing? Now we know that Brady was NOT just +1, he was plus a lot. This article clears up any doubt about just how bad a decision Brady made.

The comments he made, kind of show that he was pretty close to skunk-drunk. Yes, I know that you can get a much higher than .144 BAC, but .144 is pretty high, which means he was putting them away at a good clip and didn't stop very long before he hit the road....

Brady is not the only one who has made a mistake. I've made my share. I don't feel this is piling on though, unless they continue to write more about him. This should be a closure article. It sets the record straight. Now we know most of the story, other than anything Brady (or someone who was with him) could or would tell us. On Friday, he'll get his punishment, which I hope is that he qualifies for a first offender reduced sentence, which usually has a stiff fine, attending drunk-driving classes, a suspended license, and probation. Now I hope everyone can move forward.

Let's hope that from now on, all the players do what they are supposed to so that all the LJWorld has to relay to us is what's getting done on the court, between the hoops....

Time to turne the page and ...Move forward!

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

I miss the old dynomite! Dude, these past few weeks have totally eliminated your humor. I miss the "dudes shadow looks like Nixon" stuff. Classic!

I think we've all changed and we have very clear opinions on this. I just wish it wouldn't have happened. I still feel like a damn MU fan. We need something positive to happen. Perhaps a CU beatdown and a Sooner ass kicking will pep us up! And there is Late Night coming very soon.

Rock Chalk

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

dynomite,

You may have gone all serious, but... "Even if you blow a .9765 and tell the cop to go F themselves at three in the morning..." had me cracking up.

Then again, I have a rather loose sense of humor.

Brett Glover 10 years, 3 months ago

Dear Media.

Quit it

yours truly MizzouSucks

Brett Glover 10 years, 3 months ago

and here are my reasons.

like, seriously. I'm a Washburn student and it made ME feel like crap.

stuckinchanute 10 years, 3 months ago

We all know a friend or acquaintance that's done the same thing. Brady apologized, he understands what he did. Did we forgive our friend for doing this...of course we did. Let's forgive Brady and move on. How many of you on this board posting have drove after drinking one or two drinks? You're just as much at fault as Brady...you just didn't get caught.

Brett Glover 10 years, 3 months ago

Hmm that's actually the wrong link, and I can't find the right one. but it's a columnists blog reaction to the college basketball encyclopedia, under our name (which was like fifth) it says if we could quit drinkin' and brawlin' we could potentially win big this year. . . . . I don't like that kind of attention..

Hurinfan 10 years, 3 months ago

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey, Jesse.

This piece is total bull. The kid has already been dragged through the mud. And, he's come forward publicly and apologized. Either you accept his apology, or you don't. But now, you're just reveling in his shame for your own g--d---- personal gratification.

Next time you feel you need to impress someone, save the cheap shots for the water cooler.

James Findley 10 years, 3 months ago

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 3 months ago

Don't blame the LJW for reporting the truth. If you don't want your statements made public by the media then don't make them in public, or better yet while committing a crime.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 3 months ago

Brady is a good kid. And he screwed up big time. He'll learn his lesson, and hopefully the little kids that look up to him will know that DUIs are no joke.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

He was pulled over at 3:25 a.m. His day started about 22 hours earlier with boot camp. The combination of lack of sleep, exhaustion from boot camp, booze, and driving is so bad. I can be hard on the LJW, but this report came on the heels of the released police report. Brady is lucky. Lucky he was caught. Lucky no one was hurt. Lucky for the public humiliation that most of us wouldn't face. Lucky that he gets to play next semester. I hope others learn from this.

Does anyone know what the typical sentence is for a first-time DUI such as his?

WilburNether 10 years, 3 months ago

He belongs in jail. Unfortunately, Kansas laws regarding drunk drivers are far too lenient.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 3 months ago

Designated driver? Taxi? Jared Allen? Shuttle to Westport?

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

Please tell me I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember reading that HCBS said that Brady's suspension was based on his breaking of curfew and that further steps MAY be taken if the legal process found him guilty of a DUI.

Is it possible he could be suspended for the entire season? I think he will suffer enough as it is and I hope KU lets it take it's course and we see Brady in December.

Any thoughts anyone?

Beak 10 years, 3 months ago

Think in KS/MO legal limit use to be .10 (rather than .08). Media dont get paid to write vanilla boring stories. Brady was fortunate to get pulled over though.

Justin Carlson 10 years, 3 months ago

On the short term he has a lot of running and ridicule from the coaching staff! Once non-con season starts it will be a cautionary tale! But guess what awaits brady when he returns 2nd semester, January 30th in Manhattan, in God awful purple land! The moment he walks to the scorers table...chants from 5000+ student body chanting D..U..I.. that is going to tough!!! I guess beating KSU by 25 in Allenfieldhouse west should make him feel better!!

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

You get the award for reading between the lines.

This could clear the decks completely of two many players at the two and three.

Next question: Is there any way to translate this process into another year of eligibility for Brady?

Debbie Mangen 10 years, 3 months ago

The LJW is just reporting the news. If they didn't, you would acuse them of sweeping it under the rug, Brady messed up, plain and simple. It's a good thing they didn't catch him in Johnson Co. My son-in-law drank on his 21 birthday. His friends allowed him to drive home alone and he was stopped. He hadn't had even a speeding ticket on his license. He drew a judge who's daughter had been killed by a drunk driver. The results: he went to jail for 1 yr; paid a $1,000 fine and lost his license for year after he was released from jail. All of this is possible in the state of Kansas. Brady could be lucky to get out of jail in a year's time, no matter how nice of kid he is. I believe the expression is, "You do the crime you do the time." I hope his exprience educates all those around him. I hate like hell that we won't have him on the court early in the season, but sometimes life throws out these trials to see how the strong work through them. We have a very strong team with an even stronger leader. We'll be fine. And Brady, you are in my prayers.

championhawks 10 years, 3 months ago

Stop calling Brady a kid... He is not a kid!!! I love when a college athlete screws up and he all of a sudden turns into a kid that screwed up when someone tries to defend him.

coolhand357 10 years, 3 months ago

I "kid" you not, Brady is the MAN! I am not condemning him, nor defending him. This will only challenge him and make him stronger. Lessons in life are rarely sugar-coated. As Eartha Kitt once said; "I took all the sh*t people threw at me, and I used it for fertilizer."

Scott Smetana 10 years, 3 months ago

Good story, thanks for the info.

NOW END THIS. NO more. ANY more and you're selling stories at the sake of our school's and this students reputation. IF you were going to publish more, make it a positive spin.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I do not disagree with LJW reporting facts, we all want the facts. Although I would expect a Columbia or Manhattan based paper to include with irrelevant quotes reported by the officer.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 3 months ago

I cannot believe all of the criticism to the LJW about reporting the story. It is a newspaper, that is what they do. It's obviously a major story about the major sports program at the University of Kansas. The LJW is not supposed to be a KU propoganda rag, it's an objective new source.

You have to take the good with the bad, and when KU players screw up royally like Brady did, then it's going to be in the news.

actorman 10 years, 3 months ago

"This is ridiculous. If there are two things I hate it's drunk drivers and PETA. Brady is lucky he got off what he did. I think he should be in jail and same for anyone who is caught drunk driving. United states has the highest (tied for highest) legal limit of .08 most are .05 or lower. Way to set a good example. It's not very difficult to say no especially when there are so many University sponsored things to give people rides when they need it. Just because we might know someone who had done the same thing doesn't make it right. F*** all of you who have done the same thing. That is how people die."

Hear, hear! On most issues I'm equal to or on the left of Ted Kennedy's views. On this issue I'm not. There is simply NO excuse for an 18-year-old KID, much less a 23-year-old MAN, to drink and drive. There has been a HUGE amount of information and education over the years about the dangers of drinking and driving, the importance of having a designated driver, etc., and I can't believe the number of people on here who want to simply dismiss this under the idiotic comment that we all know someone who has done it. Under that warped rationale, since many if not most people in the inner city know someone who has killed someone, that would make it okay for them to kill someone???

To all of you who are being Brady apologists and blaming the LJW for simply reporting on the situation, I ask you this: what if Brady had killed someone or badly injured someone? Would you be saying the same things then? If not, then your comments have nothing whatsoever to do with his behavior but are based purely on luck--the fact that he didn't happen to hit someone. And that would make you all hypocrites. I'm glad Brady apologized and took responsibility for his unbelievably stupid and dangerous action, and I hope he'll never do it again. But no one should act like what he did was not a huge deal.