Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Heisman worthy?

Mangino: QB deserves trophy consideration

Kansas Quarterback Todd Reesing (5) chats with coach Mark Mangino after scoring against Iowa State. Mangino praised his quarterback Monday, saying Reesing deserves to be in the conversation for the Heisman Trophy.

Mangino: QB Reesing deserves trophy consideration

Mark Mangino said before his Kansas University football team’s season began that fans shouldn’t expect to see any type of “Todd Reesing for Heisman” campaigning on behalf of the school. But that didn’t stop Kansas’ eighth-year coach from making a brief plug for his senior signal-caller during Monday’s Big 12 coaches teleconference.

A scintillating start

Here’s how Todd Reesing’s numbers stack up in the Big 12 and in the NCAA:

Category Number Big 12 rank National rank Passing yards/game 315.8 2nd 5th Total passing yards 1,579 2nd 9th Passing efficiency/QB rating 157.6 2nd 12th Total offense 336 yds/game 3rd 5th

Briscoe, Reesing and Meier put on a show

Dezmon Briscoe, Kerry Meier and Todd Reesing spent Saturday rewriting Kansas football's record books on the way to a 41-36 victory against Iowa State.

“We’ve only played five games, but he certainly — and this is an opinion — he certainly merits the right to be a part of the Heisman conversation,” said Mangino, whose Jayhawks are 5-0 and 1-0 in the Big 12 heading into Saturday’s 6 p.m. road matchup with Colorado (FSKC Sunflower Broadband 36, 236). “When you look at him statistically, you're impressed, but I think the true way you judge Todd Reesing is you have to see him play.

“If you watch him play, the way he just has great leadership, the way he’s in control, the way he can take what looks to be a minus-yardage play and turn it into a gain or a big gain, the real appreciation you have for Todd Reesing is after you watch him play. It’s not fair to just look at his statistics.”

At the same time, the statistics aren’t exactly hard on the eyes.

Following Saturday’s 442-yard, four-touchdown performance in a victory over Iowa State, he ranks in the top 12 nationally in passing yards (1,579, tied for ninth), passing yards per game (315.8, fifth), total offense (336, fifth) and passing efficiency (157.6, 12th) — numbers that compare favorably to the three players hyped as the Heisman favorites during the preseason: former winners Tim Tebow of Florida and Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Texas’ Colt McCoy.

Tebow and Bradford have missed time with injuries this season, while McCoy has had, by his standards, a sub-par year statistically.

Reesing, meanwhile, has quietly and successfully gone about his business, taking advantage of standout receivers Kerry Meier (43 catches, 477 yards, five touchdowns) and Dezmon Briscoe (30 catches, 517 yards, three scores) and an inexperienced offensive line that, to this point, has proved to be a pleasant surprise.

And the result has been a soft rumbling of mid-season Heisman talk surrounding the Jayhawks’ diminutive star.

“I’ve kept my word — we're not having any Heisman campaigns, and we're not going to do any of that,” Mangino said. “But I think when you watch him play, whether you're an opposing coach, an opposing fan, a broadcaster or a journalist that covers the game, you walk away saying, ‘That kid's a pretty doggone good football player.’”

Colorado starting Hansen over struggling Hawkins

After a 1-4 start — and the ensuing scrutiny that came with it — Colorado coach Dan Hawkins officially benched his starting quarterback — son Cody — this week in favor of red-shirt sophomore Tyler Hansen.

The younger Hawkins, who has struggled greatly early on, had led the Buffaloes to a surprising 14-10 halftime lead over then-No. 2 Texas on Saturday, but was benched in favor of Hansen after throwing two second-half interceptions that allowed the Longhorns to pull away for a 38-14 victory.

Following the game, Dan Hawkins and Colorado offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau indicated that Hansen will be the team’s starting quarterback for the remainder of the season, meaning the Jayhawks will spend the week preparing for a relative unknown.

“I see it as a small challenge,” said Mangino, who declined to offer his assessment of Hansen until he’d seen more film. “But I think we go back and look at last year and we know a little bit about Tyler Hansen and his background and what his really strong suits are. So it’s a challenge, but it’s not anything that’s overwhelming.”

Comments

tennesseest 10 years, 3 months ago

Let's not get too carried away quite yet. You have to give it to reesing though, he's had a great career. BCS bowl, turning this program around, etc. But, Heisman winners are usually the types of players that dominate games, I'm just not quite sure if Todd is at that level. We'll see where he is at after the OU game.

On a side note, if one more "expert" says that Jimmy Clausen deserves to be the Heisman winner I am going to puke...

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 3 months ago

If the Hawks can keep on winning, a lot of things will take care of themselves, including Todd being 'in the conversation' all the way to the selection.

KUAlum2000 10 years, 3 months ago

Some quotes from another website (blog) about Ressing's performance. I think it shows the national perspective.

"Oh, don’t mind Todd Reesing. He’s just over here passing for 442 yards (a career high) and 4 TDs in a thrilling shootout with Iowa State, a fact no one will notice because it’s Kansas, and would only get national attention if Mark Mangino decided to coach the game shirtless,..." "So, yes: Mark Mangino will coach shirtless in order to get Todd Reesing some national attention."

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

The stats are there, why not?

But hey, this is Kansas and we can't be ranked in two sports and have a Heisman candidate, can we?

Hmmm...there's a stumper! It will be interesting to see how they internalize and resolve that conundrum. I'm sure they'll find a way to explain away his chances.

Reesing will have to do it one game at a time!

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 3 months ago

Todd needs all the help that he can get to convince pro teams to look at him. And I don't mean NFL teams, I mean pro teams on any level. And getting people talking about him as a Heisman candidate will help, mostly because it will cause someone to watch him play and then they will see what he can do.

I wonder if Keegan was the person who asked Mangino if he thinks Todd is a Heisman candidate. Tom has been Reesing's biggest advocate since Reesing first took the field against Colorado three years ago.

William James 10 years, 3 months ago

tennesseest- I'm sorry but did you say "Heisman winners are usually the type of players that dominate games, I'm just not sure that Todd is at that level". Did you happen to see by any chance

06 Colorado. Lots of empty seats, perhaps you missed it. 07 KSU. Game winning 4th Qtr drive took 4 plays. Again almost no KU fans saw it. 07 Nebraska. Most points ever put up on a Nebraska Defense 07 Oklahoma State. Herbstriet said in the postgame he was clearly a top 3 finalists 08 South Florida. Insane couple of 4th Qtr drives 08 ISU. Came back from down 20 in 2d half with 5 TDs in 6 drives 08 Mizzou. Clearly not a Heisman level performance(sarcasm) 08 Insight Bowl. 1st play of the game-65yd TD 09 ISU. Willing his team to victory, Tim Teboesque.

tennesseest 10 years, 3 months ago

fabio- Part of the reason Todd is so successful is the system that he is playing under. Much of that credit has to be given to Mangino. The Heisman winner is supposed to be most outstanding player in the nation, are you telling me you would take Todd over any player in the nation, given the chance? Come on, I drink the kool-aid, too, but be realistic. And by the way, I watched all of the games you mentioned, some at the wheel, and was in attendance for the majority of them, "gutsy" wins against Iowa State, Colorado are not the type of games you put on your Heisman resume. Did you see the pick he threw this past weekend? Was he not looking at the linebacker standing directly in front of the reciever? I love the way Todd plays and completely respect and understand what he has done to this program. But, like I said before, let's wait and see what he does against OU, UT, NU and MU. It's a little too early to put a long shot in the hat. Take a look at his stats from 07 and then tell me why he wasn't a finalist that year. Those are the same reasons he is not in the discussion this year. He must preform well against the big boys to have a chance and winning the Heisman this year, bottom line.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

100- In all the verbiage, I think that's what we're saying...I think!! LOL

Beat CU

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 3 months ago

I did some quick research to find that: Reesing averaged 2.74 T.D.'s through 34 career games played. Tebow averaged 2.65 T.D.'s through 46 career games played. With that stated...... Go beat Colorado!!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 3 months ago

HCMM SHIRTLESS!!!!!!!!

I'd pay to see that!! [or pay NOT to see that!!]

Google Past Heisman Trophy Winners, read the list and then tell me Todd has an honest chance of getting the award. It's not fair but it's real.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 3 months ago

Eight more wins and we can rename the Heisman.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 3 months ago

In his three years as a starter Todd Reesing is 25-6.

In the Big 12.

For the University of Kansas.

Unbelievable.

I know that it's pointless to play what if, but what if he had started as a freshman. Would we have beaten Texas A&M? Oklahoma State? Baylor? Toledo? Nebraska? I bet we'd have taken 2 or 3 of them at least.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

OakvilleJHawk- I like ManG but I'd pay "not to see it"- LOL

He's a much better coach with the shirt on than off!!!

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 3 months ago

agreed truehawk,

we don't need any distractions.

tennesseest 10 years, 3 months ago

fabio- ignorance is bliss, buddy, keep dreaming. Were those plays from this year? With the same blockers? Same recievers? Same running backs? Take off your blinders. Todd is a great college quarterback, yes, is he the best player in the entire nation? If you could get Suh from NU and have Pick at QB would you take it? If you could trade todd for Tebow or Bradford would you take it. Come on, be realistic. This is the "highest honor" in college football, and frankly, fans from other schools would laugh at you for thinking todd is the most outstanding player in the nation. Be realstic, don't overextend yourself. Like I said before, let's see what happens at CU, OU, UT etc. Rock Chalk.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

tennesseest-

I wouldn't take Bradford. I take Reesing over Bradford any day and anytime because of accuracy and experience. Bradford will never be the same after this injury. He's a deer caught in headlights.

Tebow is tough and frankly, I think Reesing is smarter than Tebow. I don't have blinders. I'd take Reesing over many QBs, not because of KU, but it's my QB preference. Potts at TT has impressed me too! Colt McCoy not too bad.

Your point is there are a lot of talented QBs and some are a little better than others. They all have great abilities, but the difference is media hype and this is the issue with this discussion. Tebow, Bradford and others have the exposure!! Reesing will never have the media hype QBs in the nation have right now with 1/2 his talent!

kranny 10 years, 3 months ago

Tennesseest, I don't buy into the system QB correlation. I doubt Bradford would win a Heisman if OU still ran the wishbone hence he wouldn't be the most outstanding player in the nation. He won the Heisman because of the system he plays in and so did Tebow. I give more credit to Reesing because he's not surrounded by 4 and 5 star offensive linemen like Tebow and Bradford but he still finds a way to make a play. The dude is a great player-the best in college football, maybe not. But, I enjoy watching him because you never know what he's going to pull out of his A$$ on every play. Tebow is boring to watch. Bradford-great arm, but no longevity at the next level because of lack of mobility.

dewclw 10 years, 3 months ago

Please if you aren't a Real Jayhawk fan then don't comment on this subject, really. Todd Reesing does more for this football team and program every time he steps on the field. No disrespect to the other offensive players but he doesn't have a 5 star offensive line and with the exception of Kerry Meier and Dez Briscoe he doesn't have 5 star receivers. Tebow, McCoy, Braford, all have those coveted 5 stars lines/ receivers. Todd gets alot done with what he has to work with. What could he accomplish with the Texas or Florida O-line? I don't think it's too soon to name him a top Heisman contender. I think it's way past time. He should have been near the top at the start!!!

tennesseest 10 years, 3 months ago

Good to hear some great support for Todd, however, this has nothing to do with being a "real Jayhawk fan". If you take an objective look at this subject it comes down to how Todd plays against the big boys. Take a look at last year vs. OU, UT, and TTU. 65-117 (55%) for 754 yrds, 5 TDs 5 Ints. Ok numbers, but not Heisman worthy. Like I said in every other post, whether or not Todd is involved in the Heisman discussion this year will depend on how he plays against OU, UT & TTU, period. Hopefully Todd plays as well as he did last time we went to Boulder, another 53 yrd scramble would be nice. Rock Chalk.

coacherb 10 years, 3 months ago

"part of the heisman conversation" that's all, and he deserves that. lets not get to carried away.

Sean Rodger 10 years, 3 months ago

If Chase Daniel can be in the topic of conversation for a Heisman - Reesing definately could (and should). Granted, the media has already given it to Tebow since the day after the championship game last year, but all the hoopla would be great!

Two games into the season - I took McCoy - Tebow - and Reesing and compared their stats - Reesing is right in the mix stat wise. Plus you can't coach heart - he is a winner - he was born to win!

Beat CU - I will be there!

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

I love Todd to death, but right now, he is not top 5 in the Heisman. Yes, he should be considered and brought up in the conversation, but he is not a finalist. With that said, you win the Big 12 North, take out OK, Tex, Missouri, AND Nebraska in the process, then yes, you are a finalist. Right now he does not have the Tebow wins ala LSU and Tenn, the rating and stats of Clausen (and his wins over Washington and Michigan State are better than any KU has so far this year), or the rushing stats of Ryan Williams (734 yards and 9 tds) against teams such as Miami(FL), Nebraska, and Alabama.

You get those big time, high profile wins Todd and it's yours for the taking. But if not, all the yards and tds in the world won't win a Heisman.

Note: When talking about the Heisman, you can ONLY look at this year. Not the course of a career. And no, Reesing has not been a Heisman finalist so far (this year). But he has a good chance to make some waves in a week and a half.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Todd,

There's only one thing we care about right now:

1. Beat Colorado.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

tennesseest,

"Heisman winners are usually the types of players that dominate games..."

Tim Tebow doesn't. But his hype does. Well, that and his team's defense.

"Did you see the pick he threw this past weekend? Was he not looking at the linebacker standing directly in front of the reciever?"

Unfortunately I was working (plus I have Directv which dropped versus... stupid Directv and Comcast), so I was unable to watch the ISU game. I did however get a chance to see the Florida/LSU matchup that evening, and I DID see Tim Tebow throw perhaps one of the worst interceptions at one of the worst possible times. If it wasn't for Florida's defense (which single-handedly won that game, much like our offense last Saturday), that unbelievably bad pass could have cost him the game. But instead, his defense won the game and ESPN called him "one of the greatest to ever play the game" despite his insanely average numbers and performance.

"fabio- ignorance is bliss, buddy, keep dreaming. Were those plays from this year? With the same blockers? Same recievers? Same running backs? Take off your blinders."

Does Todd enjoy the privilege of an NFL level offensive line? Or possibly the best defense in the country to cover very average stats and mistakes? Or a major sports network willing to personally campaign for him? I don't think fabio is the only one wearing "blinders."

Now, I completely agree with you that Todd needs to prove himself in the "big" games this year, and he will have a chance to do so. But let's not pretend that certain other players don't get the benefit of the ridiculous-overhype-machine. Tim Tebow is a very good football player, but "greatest ever"??? Come on, that's an insult to everyone who has ever watched, played or thought about the game of football (that's directed at ESPN, not you, btw). College sports is a big money business, and Tebow is a financial draw. He is a pretty boy, bible-quoting face painter who performs his own circumcisions (seriously) and plays for a big time powerhouse. Todd Reesing is a undersized kid who plays for a basketball school.

I agree with you that Todd isn't a finalist right now. But he has some chances to prove himself. The question is if he does, will it raise ESPN's ratings enough to warrent attention?

And that answer will tell you whether or not he goes to New York.

William James 10 years, 3 months ago

First of all, Clausen does not have any signature wins and everyone in the media is raving about him. And no, Michigan State(lost to Central Michigan) and Washington do not count. The kid that played for Hawaii in 07 was invited to New York. Who the hell did Hawaii beat that year? San Jose St.?

Adam Evans 10 years, 3 months ago

1, and I repeat, 07 was 07. It does not matter for '09. #2: Michigan State is BETTER than UTEP, ISU, and SMU. Sorry, but KUs schedule has been very weak thus far.

And #3 I forgot... BEAT COLORADO

:D

dirtybirdman 10 years, 3 months ago

I guess this column and discussion can be thrown out the window. Colorado kind of ended it. Especially the first half. Maybe now we can concentrate on winning games instead of trying to puff out our chests to the rest of Lawrence and KC b/c no one on the national stage was listening. UTEP, SMU, ISU, please. We have yet to play a top 25 team!