Monday, October 12, 2009

Mizzou alums seek KU students of similar stripe

Robert Rescot, left, Tiffany Huggard-Lee and Charlie Huggard-Lee are among the University of Missouri alumni now in Lawrence who support both schools. They have talked of starting an alumni group for former Tigers.

Robert Rescot is looking for some Kansas University students brave enough to wear their black and gold colors in the epicenter of enemy territory.

Though the plan is still in its formative stages, Rescot, a civil engineering graduate student at KU who got his bachelor’s degree at the University of Missouri, and a few of his friends want to form a support group of sorts — a KU student group for Mizzou alumni.

He’s quick to point out that he’s a rare breed — someone who loves both schools.

“I’ll root for KU anytime,” he said. “Except when they’re playing Missouri.”

The group started as a bit of a joke, but Rescot figured if he could find others like him, he might have some support for Lawrence outings to get some televisions in bars tuned to Missouri football games. He said he’d settle for just one television in many cases — something that doesn’t always happen.

He gets some strange looks around town when he dons Missouri garb, recalling a time when a small group of his friends wore Tiger black and gold to a restaurant on a KU football game day.

“I’m pretty sure the waitress was petrified,” Rescot said.

He and his friends have begun sifting through faculty members who attended Missouri at some point during their education as potential sponsors for the group.

Scott Reinardy, assistant professor of journalism, spent five years in graduate school at Mizzou, and worked in the newsroom of the Columbia Missourian newspaper.

Working in the sports department there, he said he developed a kind of detachment from the intense rivalry between the two schools.

“I’ve gotten grief from both sides of the border,” Reinardy said.

He recalled being at a ceremony for his son at Langston Hughes School after his son completed sixth grade. Each student had some goal or aspiration announced at the ceremony, and his son’s was to be a sports star at the University of Missouri.

“He was booed at a sixth-grade graduation ceremony,” Reinardy said.

If asked, would he serve as a faculty adviser to a student group of Missouri alums? He’d consider it, but probably not if it was a bunch of Missouri alums looking to tweak KU people in their own backyard, he said.

And, Reinardy said, being seen as “that guy” by a bunch of rabid KU fans might hamper the educational experience he’s looking to foster in his classes.

Tiffany Huggard-Lee, a second-year master’s student in classics who graduated from Missouri, said she’s not particularly interested in sports, but often is asked what side she’s on in terms of the rivalry.

Huggard-Lee said she figures there’s more people like her and Rescot out there. When she uses her Missouri golf umbrella around town, she’ll get a few more positive comments — some low whispers of “Go Tigers.”

“We’re in hiding,” she said.

She said the potential new group is mostly meant in jest, but she enjoys the irony of the concept.

“We can be one of the most-hated groups on campus,” she said.

Comments

5DecadeHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

The LJW already sponsors the group.

There are regular articles promoting MU all the time. This article is now promoting this group. Clearly the LJW wants to encourage Mizery groups to get larger in the Lawrence area.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

...oh, and by the way Charlie, that's a nice shirt. KU got 2nd place in B12 basketball in 2004. I don't think we made shirts though.

Fred Davis 10 years, 3 months ago

You know, I live in Columbia, and I wear my KU clothing nearly everyday, but I do it with my head on a swivel, because you always have to have one watching for the haters...

Fred Davis 10 years, 3 months ago

*you have to have one eye watching for the haters...

Jake Powell 10 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me?? Don't you 3 know how to read a map?? Get on I-70 (that's a highway for the Missouri impaired) and head east. When you get to that hillbilly town.......that smells that manure & raw sewage.......I think it's called Columbia.......exit off the highway. Then, go fill out your application at the local McDonald's.........and have a good life.

jayhawkjoe98 10 years, 3 months ago

In fact, I couldn't even finish reading it.

jayhawkjoe98 10 years, 3 months ago

I literally threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Topside 10 years, 3 months ago

Shame LJW, for shame....tsk tsk as well. Rokchok- They don't know what I-70 is numbers are just too confusing that is why all roads in MO are letters. Like AA and UU. wierdos.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

(seriously Jesse??? Removing a post because of an implied profanity??? OK – let me try that again…)

Here’s the difference. If KU alums tried to form such a group in Columbia, they would need to be afraid for their physical safety and not just a little heckling. Gosh Darn slavers…

(note to thought police - I'm not really claiming that Mizzery fans are now in favor of slavery. It is just my attempt at humor by juxtaposing current Mizzery fans against the southern sympathizers that burned Lawrence before the Civil War.)

Eric TheCapn 10 years, 3 months ago

The LJW was looking for a story. This is a story. Don't hate on THEM.

jayhawkerjoel, your shirt comment cracked me up. 2nd place...

JHawkins 10 years, 3 months ago

BLARGGG!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

I think the urine to beer ratio of their pints in Lawrence is roughly 60/40. Go back to meth-zoo. You 3 look like special-ed students that lack the talent.

ugh, disgusting article...

BorderBattleKU21 10 years, 3 months ago

This is absolutely lame! Who in the world would support this? If you got a problem that Lawrence doesn't support Missouri then get the hell out!

KUBlue0809 10 years, 3 months ago

The 3 of them look like special-ed grads from missery

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 3 months ago

ummmm no thanks. good luck with this catching on. you can't be a fan of both schools. if you are, then you probably have a bigger drug problem than Quinn Snyder.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

wow ...

these folks got moxie!

I just might have to go mess with them sometime.

mwa-ha-ha-ha

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Lucky Tiffany. If last names are any clue, she gets that man beast Charlie hovering over her on date night. Wait, they might be brother and sister, never mind. Wait, they are from Missery, still could be a possiblity.

Nice jayhawkerjoel. Getting censured. Shame on you. I'm calling you Anthonyzal junior now. Nice point though, woo hoo - we're number 2. (I bet KU prints them if we win the north...).

I've never actually thought that the LJW should have never published an article before. But, I am wondering what the point of this one is... Could it have been saved for the week of the MU game??? Did someone hack the LJW servers? Is there some comment contest that I am unaware of?

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

When I'm at someone's home I don't rest my feet on their coffee table or help myself to whatever is in the fridge. If they want to wear their mizwho t-shirts or form a club I think they do so at their own risk. If for some inexplicable reason I found myself in Columbia I would have the good sense and taste to leave my KU garb at home.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Well it makes sense -- there's already a group of students (472 at last count) who grew up in Overland Park & wanted to go to KU.

Unfortinately for them their dads went to MU & were forced due to job to live in Overland Park & raise their kids in Kansas.

So at last count 472 of them go to Missouri & form the only student group worth talking about in Columbia -- "The Columbia Hawks"

(they do keep their colors black & gold so as to not avoid being burnt & slaughtered as they sleep)

Michael Auchard 10 years, 3 months ago

Wonder if Mizzou fans would support a group of Jayhawk fans in Columbia if Kansans had once crossed the border and burned THEIR hometown to the ground and then killed all the able-bodied males they could find?

I find it distasteful to even see the word Missouri, let alone see or hear people champion its university.

Until that formal apology comes from the governor of Missouri, I'll never support those hideous yellow and dark-brown wearing savages.

Jake Powell 10 years, 3 months ago

These 2 yahoos probably didn't know what last name to take........so they took both. Clowns!!

I wouldn't root for that school even if they were playing the Taliban.

champhawk10 10 years, 3 months ago

I will admit I went to mizzou for my undergrad. Reason being I grew up in Missouri and parents wouldn't pay for out of state tuition and I wanted to go to a big conference school. I went in a huge KU fan and left an even bigger KU fan as did my brother. I actually roomed with another KU fan. I meet a lot more jayhawk fans in Columbia then I ever thought I would. Mizzou fans would never let something like this even be printed. They are the most ridiculous fans I have ever met and are ruthless. I wore KU gear on occasion but never walked down a dark alley. I have a new appreciation for how great it is to be a KU fan after spending 4 years if mh life in columbia.

kansaspike 10 years, 3 months ago

We are all dumber for having read this article.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

champhawk10,

My congratulations to you for escaping that snake-pit of backstabbing, bushwhackers. However, as a regular poster on this board (and all-around good guy), I am concerned for your wellbeing. You may find yourself suffering from prolonged exposure to mullets, meth, and morons. May I suggest going to Late Nite in the Phog this Friday. I believe your will find that emersion in this therapy can purge you of almost any level of toxicity you have suffered from.

Beak 10 years, 3 months ago

just about any comment I can think of would be removed by staff b/c it would violate the usage agreement.

champhawk10 10 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawkerjoel thanks for the concern. I have been away going on my second year now and I am slowly recovering. It has taken many late nights in a row, season tickets to KU football and ad many basketball games as I can afford/ get free from my uncle to recover but I'm getting there. It was oh so sweet though running around screaming after we cut down the nets in San Antonio.

97jhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure there's a meth lab in nearby T-town that would sponsor them. If not, I bet that KUSports.com's trusty KU football beat writer, Dugan Arnett, would help them out with their efforts. Bit of warning that looking for MU fans in Lawrence (and on campus) is like looking for a cute girl at the Dirty Bird.....good luck.

Keith Conklin 10 years, 3 months ago

Why is that every K-State fan I know and most Mizzu fans I know say they go for KU when there not playing each other and all the KU fans I know hate both schools and would never go either of them????? Wait I know neither school has ever exprienced a Championship and any thing lol. I'm am disgusted by this article. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK FOO LIFE!!! Muck Fizzu and the purple pussies too

gchawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if the kids over at MU even know why they hate us. Once upon a time a long, long time ago there was this awful place called Missouri and they liked slavery. They liked it so much that they wanted Kansas to like slavery too, but Kansas hated slavery. So what did Missouri do? They sent their brave Quantrill over to try and convince us of the virtues of slavery. Since we didn't agree with Quantrill and his merry men, he then proceeded to destroy Lawrence, twice, by measures of fire, murder, rape, plunder, and anything else they could think of, BUT WE AROSE. And that is why Mu hates us. The end.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 3 months ago

Fugly looking losers...just like every other mizzourah fan I've ever seen. Think these three are related to Dugie? The chick on the far right is probably the best looking girl in Columbia...

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Wasn't there some attempt this past summer to change a street name in Lawrence to something having to do with Mizz? What ever happened to that? Could these posers have been involved in the movement?

Infidels!!!!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

Who does that girl think the other "hated" groups on campus are anyway?

And, is that some sort of goal to acheive, "most hated group on campus"?

Migady 10 years, 3 months ago

Andy Hyland only needs that picture and this article and he'll be a shoe in as writer of the year for The Onion.

plotku 10 years, 3 months ago

Great not only do we have to have missouri fans pictures on this site, they get an article about them. Why oh why would a KU site put together an article that brings publicity to this group? They need no publicity, they deserve no publicity. They did however deserve to get slapped over the thought of this group. But no that would make no sense. Instead write an article to give them publicity.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

memhawk, Some members of the Lawrence City Commision floated the idea of changing the name of Missouri Street, between 9th & 11th, to Fambrough Way (or something like that.) This is the segment of the street that almost runs into Memorial Stadium. The proposal was shot down quickly. I followed the reader posts on the regular LJW site. It seemed like most of the opinions were against changing it. Many of the people expressing opinions had no idea who coach Fam is and seemed to have no sense of humor - much like Bong Highberger, the city commissioner who was most vocally against it too.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkerjoel -

Bong Highberger? Tell me that is not somebody's name who is holding public office?

Thanks for the research.

rawkhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

One of my big punk rock moments was wearing a Jayhawk shirt into the Blue Note in Columbia. Great theater. Sonic Youth was awesome. The bouncer said to me, "Bad shirt."

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

memhawk:

His real name is Dennis and his real nickname is Boog. But, well, just read the bio and I think you'll get the Bong reference then...

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

rawkhawk: You saw the Sonic Youth in concert? OK, you have to surrender the Jimmy Page avitar.

memhawk: Catch the football game against the cyclowns yet? I swear, the football team put up a better fight against the basketball team...

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 3 months ago

wells -

I'm not sure if I prefer Boog or Bong?

What was his platform when he was elected mayor of Lawrence? Let me guess, hacky-sack friendly parks, recumbent bike only lanes on Mass Ave.? He sort of looks like he could be Screech's dad!

Maybe he opposed the re-naming of Missouri St. to Fam. Way because he always thought it should be Boog Blvd.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Memhawk:

I prefer Booger. Booger Boulevard. Naaah!

Screech's dad. Nice.

He could be Charies dad. All that time in Mexico doing who knows what - the DNA has to be a little jacked up. Charlie looks a little like a meth baby. And he is from Methssouri.

rawkhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

memhawk: you're saying that Thurston Moore has never had to get the Led out? BTW, there is some great early footage of Page playing skiffle music on YouTube...