Sunday, October 11, 2009

Game balls and Gassers

Candidates for Game balls

• Tim Biere, Tanner Hawkinson, Brad Thorson, Jeremiah Hatch, Sal Capra, Jeff Spikes and Toben Opurum for doing such a remarkable job of blocking that Todd Reesing, Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier were able to work their magic.

Candidates for Gassers

• The students who left at the half of an eight-point game. Make it two sets of gassers.

• The defense. Make it two sets of gassers.

Comments

OutlawJHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

What in the h3ll is wrong with a bunch of our students? Is getting back to drinking or video games more important than attending the sporting event? I guess this is the result of this generation of kids growing up playing sports on playstation; you can just save the game and walk away. Wake up, this is the real thing pencil necks.

Also you spoiled brats that left early don't know how lucky you are to have a team this good to watch. I was in school in the 80's, stayed till the bitter end of every game...and most of them were blow-out losses. If you can't show some loyalty and stay until the end of the game, don't come, give your ticket to a real fan. By the way, I hope you don't graduate; you are undeserving to be called a jayhawk and I don't want you as a fellow alumni.

Rivethead 9 years, 8 months ago

Outlaw don't hold back. They won't censure you for saying hell.

Hell, we have to have the worst student support of any ranked football team.

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

i left the game at half. it had nothing to do with drinking (this time) or video games. i am also not a pencil neck. IT WAS FRICKIN' COLD AND ALL I HAD WAS A HOODED SWEATSHIRT! save the podium speech.

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

IT WAS COLD. nobody expected it to be that cold. that is all

Hawkman021 9 years, 8 months ago

I was there for the entire game, I went to the union and bought myself some warmer clothes its not that hard, hell walmart is open 24 hours run down there before you tailgate.

Jay_Z 9 years, 8 months ago

jp_pack14, give me a break. How about checking the weather forecast prior to going to the game, and dressing accordingly? It ain't rocket science. Kudos to the students and other fans who supported the team until the end of the game....shame on those who left at HALFTIME.

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

i don't need this. I'm not a kid and you guys don't know my circumstances. i don't owe anybody an explanation for anything. hope you guys have fun being judgmental and discontented toward other posters in the future.

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

maybe i will sacrifice my first born son too, because apparently you can't have any other priorities in life but kansas football. next time i will be sure to endure the same level of commitment to the team as meier. in fact, this week i will probably study tape, do physical therapy, and run extra routes in my yard before the game.

jhokfan 9 years, 8 months ago

The only thing more disappointing than the defense was the fans. Our team may be ranked but our fans are in the bottom 10.

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

gee i feel terrible. nevermind that the cold was only a contributing factor to my decision to leave. you really think i went to the game alone? the "douche" thing to do would be to take a rigid and principled stand to the dismay of my entire group.

also, you may want to check on the definition of a hypocrite. it actually means that i would speak ill of some activity and then engage in it myself. by saying you don't know my circumstances merely means that my reason for leaving was not limited to the cold. there is a difference.

you know one thing about me, that i left the game at half and you know part of the reason i left. that gives you no right to call me names.

here's some evidence of my own from TT:

"Keep my name out ya mouth"

Jay_Z 9 years, 8 months ago

KU plays Nebraska at home on November 14th. There is a good chance it could be just as cold or colder when that game is played. I wonder how early the students will leave that game?

jp_pack14 9 years, 8 months ago

yeah your right students are the only group that left early.

jcw3691 9 years, 8 months ago

I was cold too. I knew we would win. I wanted to drink beer.

kuME10 9 years, 8 months ago

jwliddell, I left early because I can. Who give a sht why and who gives a sht when. If you want to stay the whole game you can, but let people do what they want. If ku students didn't choose to go to ku, there wouldn't be a football team at all and nobody could stay the whole game, so at least they made one good decision.

Scott Bonnet 9 years, 8 months ago

Good grief. You ARE crappy fans. You are correct when you say you have a right to BE crappy fans, but that doesn't make you suck any less.

lance1jhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

I have sat through games in the rain, snow and freezing cold until the end. This group of students are some of the lamest football fans I have ever seen or heard. From that stupid Water Boy chant during kick offs to the "home of the CHIEFS" during the national anthem. Now the students like to leave early to go party or passout and so on.... LAME, lame, lame. I'm almost to the point of beliving that we should cut the student section in half and let Big Lew sell their seats for more revenue. The students need to come early and stay for the entire game, or don't come at all. I'm tired of the embaressment they have caused the University of Kansas.

John Percival 9 years, 8 months ago

lance, couldn't have said it better myself. props to my nephew (freshman) who I taught to stay til the bitter end, win or lose. saw him frezzin' his butt off as he was ill-prepared (as was I) but got to see an exciting finish and win. Students: Memorial Stadium is NOT the home of the Chiefs - and they SUCK and are an embarassment, anyway. You're weak-a** excuses are pathetic. If you can't quit drinking for 3 hours, start a fire at home, plop on the couch and give your tickets to someone who cares.

Jay_Z 9 years, 8 months ago

Not all the students are terrible fans, but a good sized portion are. Weak sh*t students....anyone has a right to leave when they want, but leaving a close game at halftime is beyond lame. These are probably the same people who will stay to the very end of a KU basketball game against Fort Hays State even though KU is winning by 50. The fans need to step it up and support this team....the team deserves better.

frid22 9 years, 8 months ago

Thanks to all the fans who left at halftime, it made my halftime seat upgrade all the better.

honk_for_hawks 9 years, 8 months ago

guscornhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

Lance, couldn't have said it better myself. I watched this game on VersesHD from 400 miles away and couldn't believe the HUGE gapping hole in the student section. The TV did a nice job at not showing the students much and focusing on the portion of the stadium that did hang around. Still not sure why we offer that many seats to students who either don't come or won't stay past half.

kmatlage 9 years, 8 months ago

Ok, well, that's a bit far I think jwliddell. I mean, I give my friends a hard time for sitting down during the quarter breaks, but that doesn't mean I value them any less as a person or anything.

That said, we do need to keep more of the student section there, and I think that will improve as we go forward. I think a lot of students can be rather prone to forgetting to check the weather and such things, especially with as early as some of these games are and trying to make it down there early enough to get a decent seat. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, I'm still frustrated that so many left, but I'm just saying that I do think it will be better.

The other thing though that I think we need to improve on is the intensity of some of the people that ARE there. People simply being there isn't really helping out any more if they aren't making noise. Unfortunately, I think most of the people that read these boards aren't the ones that need this critique, so it's kind of a waste of time to even mention it here. Oh, but I will say this, giving up half the students seats would be a terrible idea--our peak loudness would drop off tremendously.

Firebirdguy31 9 years, 8 months ago

I think jwliddell is right, we have the WORST student fans in all of college football. Even schools that are not in the top 25 have their stadiums filled every game. I hate to say it, but I really don't think it's going to get any better either. We already won the freaking Orange Bowl 2 years ago, with the SAME quarterback, and we still have fans leaving at halftime and a 3/4 full stadium at kickoff.

Even if we win the National Championship our student body will pump their chests and act like we're the best school in the country but refuse to sit in the cold for fear that their beer might freeze.

I also love how you can see half of the student section texting and not paying any attention to the game, then watching their heads pop up when they hear the crowd start to cheer. It's pathetic.