Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Danielle McCray named Big 12 preseason player of the year

Kansas University junior Danielle McCray, right, goes up against Missouri’s Bekah Mills in the Jayhawks’ victory on January 14 at Allen Fieldhouse. McCray was named to the All-Big 12 first team on Monday, becoming the fourth KU women’s player to earn that honor.

Kansas senior Danielle McCray has been selected as the Big 12's women's basketball Preseason Player of the Year in a vote of the league's coaches.

McCray earned All-Big 12 first team and honorable mention All-America honors last season after averaging 21.6 points and 7.7 rebounds per game.

"I am thrilled to earn this honor,” McCray said in a release. “My coaches and teammates push me hard each and every day in practice and without them I would not be in this position. I have a lot of respect for all of the players in our league, so I am really flattered to earn this award.”

McCray is the first KU women's player to be named Preseason Big 12 Player of the Year since Tamecka Dixon in 1996.

“This is an exciting honor for Danielle,” KU coach Bonnie Henrickson said in a release. “Danielle has worked extremely hard on her game, and competing in the Big 12, the best conference in America, has really helped grow her game.”

The 5-foot-11 McCray led the Big 12 in three-point percentage last season (42.6 percent) and also was fifth in free-throw shooting (83.1 percent).

Danielle Adams of Texas A&M; was chosen Preseason Newcomer of the Year, and Baylor's Brittney Griner was selected as Preseason Freshman of the Year.

Big 12 coaches were not allowed to vote for their own players.

Comments

sevenyearhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

Outstanding!!!!!!!

Going to be an incredible year for Kansas Athletics ...

b_asinbeer 9 years, 2 months ago

Great news! I hope that she can live up to those expectations and bring home the player of the year award at the end of the season as well!

Cody Stumma 9 years, 2 months ago

Great Job McCray, now go show us your results out on the court in about a month!

truefan 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm in the commercial that has been airing on local channels for the women's team. I was at the NIT Championship game in the front row behind the basket, and although they did not win, they made a fan out of me and 16,300 other fans. They play and practice with just as much heart as the men's team, and I apologize for not realizing this sooner. If I wish to keep my tag name on this site, then I must make a better effort this season to make it to the women's games. I can't wait to see this team in Allen again and in Big Dance in March.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU Women!

KGphoto 9 years, 2 months ago

That's all they need truefan. Fill that house up. Banner year indeed. Congrats to Danielle and to Bonnie. I've been waiting for this. Thx.

justanotherfan 9 years, 2 months ago

Let's hope they can keep everybody healthy and keep the momentum from last season going. McCray is an awesome player and deserves the recognition. Let's hope she can lift her teammates to new heights, too.

kubiggestfan 9 years, 2 months ago

Wow, how exciting for Danielle and for the KU Womens Team and Coaches. This is a very special honor as I have been following Danielle and the team and she really deserves it. I am really looking forward to watching the Womens team this year and in the coming years with the great talent that Coach Henrickson currently has and has recruited for 2010 and 2011. Go JayHawks ! We are building something special here, and I like it !

MinnesotaJay 9 years, 2 months ago

Right on. Right on. Now, Danielle (and, company), go out there and EXCEED everbody's expectations.

It's weird, but I'm looking forward to the women's season as much as the men's.

Bear down, ladies. Make it special!