Originally published November 16, 2009 at 03:21p.m., updated November 16, 2009 at 03:53p.m.

C.J. Henry cleared to play against Memphis

KU guard still might not see much action; Releford talks about red-shirting

Incoming Kansas university basketball players Xavier Henry, left, and older brother C.J. Henry.

Kansas University freshman basketball guard C.J. Henry said Monday afternoon he’s been cleared to play in Tuesday’s game against his former school, Memphis.

Considering the 6-foot-4 Henry has only practiced the past couple days — after missing two weeks of workouts because of a swollen right knee — chances are he won’t see much, if any, playing time in the 9 p.m. game at Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

“I feel good. I feel healthy,” Henry said before Monday's practice. “I missed two weeks so it’s all up to coach (Bill) Self. If we need me, I’ll be in there, but my first game back ... nationally televised game ... I’m not expecting to get major minutes tomorrow night because that wouldn’t be right. It wouldn’t be fair to my teammates. I may not be ready, just conditioning wise. I think I’m fairly ready.”

KU coach Self said the likelihood is Henry would not play Tuesday.

“I would probably guess, ‘No,’’’ Self said. “He still hasn’t made it through a (full) practice yet. He’s feeling a little bit better. I don’t know if I’ll put him out there unless I feel he’s close to being 100 percent.”

Henry said he’s tried to “stay positive” while battling his sore knee.

“I try to support my other teammates, help them do well if I’m not able to be out there,” Henry said. “Stuff happens for a reason. It’s kind of ironic I’m cleared to play coming back against Memphis, the school I went to last year, but I’m taking it day by day.”

Releford: Red-shirt was "a very tough decision to make"

KU sophomore Travis Releford commented Monday for the first time on his decision to red-shirt the season:

“It was tough, a very tough decision to make,” said Releford, who said he made the decision last Tuesday, waiting until Friday to announce it. “I feel I made the right decision. I just sat down, talked to my family and coaches. I just figured it’d be the best decision for me this year. I have another year to get better and improve on my game.”

He said one of his teammates helped in the process.

“I talked with Brady Morningstar. He said it was one of the best decisions he’s made,” Releford said of Morningstar, who red-shirted the national title season. “A lot of people have made me feel comfortable about this decision. I think I’ll make an impact on the team next year for sure.”

Comments

tstanlick1909 10 years, 3 months ago

Cool, another great addition to an already fantastic rotation

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Not going to play in this game and I think it's smart...No need to rush CJ back into playing because we will be fine without him for a while...I do think we may need him in December so I would like him to be 100% by then...He needs to take his time getting back and practice so he can get conditioned to play...I think he could help us and I think game by game it may change who is in the rotation between Reed, Morningstar, and CJ...If CJ plays good defense then he may be used over Morningstar because CJ is legit 6'4...This will be a nice competition between the three of those guys in December when the games get tougher...Looking forward to beating Memphis again tomorrow night in St. Louis.

Bentleybook 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad that Travis talked to Morningstar, I think Brady is one of the Best examples of why you red shirt at Kansas. I think Travis is going to be a really good player when it is all said and done. He looked really good at Late night, bigger more aggresive, I really like what I saw, I wish him the Best

jahawkdave 10 years, 3 months ago

Good decision by Releford, I think he will be a quality player and contributor for KU in the future. I thought he would have battled for major minutes this year if we didn't get X.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

I still think that warrior necklace is cursed...

JMO23 10 years, 3 months ago

As Borat would say, "Be Carefull CJ!!!!"

100 10 years, 3 months ago

CJ,

Your work ethic, integrity, family values, concept of "team" & overall winning attitude are very admirable -- thanks for putting in the extra hours at the gym -- so glad you are a Jayhawk!

"Practices Wins Championships"

40-0.

FlaHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Photoscan be deceiving but in the articles photo if CJ is 6-4 than Xavier is 6-7 easy!

I also noticed the descrepancy on the Morris boys yesterday. Marcus looked to be 3 inches taller than Markeff!

GO HAWKS!

VegasJhawk09 10 years, 3 months ago

Off the topic. Miami of Ohio is beating Contucky in their slimy house!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 3 months ago

Man, are we like 15 deep in playable talent on this team!

NH_JHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

VegasJhawk09 -

what a game Miami OH played in Rupp. Wall hit a last second shot for the 2 pt. win. UK barely escapes with 1st win.

apeoples410 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow! UK didn't look like at top 5 team tonight! LOL

NotWiller 10 years, 3 months ago

"Wall raced up the floor pounding his chest in celebration as the crowd roared."

Congratulations to John and all the UK folks. I can't even imagine the sense of pride and honor and accomplishment you all must feel tonight. Truly, beating Miami of Ohio in the last half second, at home, must be a rush that the rest of us can only dream of.

You're amazing, John. Cal, really, your finest work yet. Enjoy the thrill of victory....at least until you're made to forfeit this win too.

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 3 months ago

Going to laugh all night at that post, NotWiller!!!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

I'll believe it when I see it with CJ. I wasn't impressed with him during Late Night, but then again a month of practice can do wonders except, he hasn't practiced in two weeks. I don't know, his handles seem a little suspect to me, but then again Collins was guarding him on Late Night. Again, I think his maturity is a great addition to the team, but I feel the jury is still left to make decision on his overall talent level. We shall see. I hope I am completely wrong and have to eat crow.

clm2122 10 years, 3 months ago

FlaHawk -

you must have read my mind.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

kushwaw, surely you know that the Late Night preview is probably the worst indicator of relative skill. The guys that have the most to prove work the hardest and the guys that have the least to prove are the most relaxed. In 2003, Omar Wilkes played the best at Late Night - we know how that turned out.

Who knows what CJ will turn out to be. My guess is that he will be huge for KU - next year.

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 3 months ago

I hoping to see him with Teahan, Juneman, and Buford during the RC chant.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Bentleybook (anonymous) says... I think Travis is going to be a really good player when it is all said and done.

I agree Bentley!

I just don't want CJ to irritate his knee and lose him permanently. I think he should go through this first semester and rest his knee. Maybe get him in for a few mins, but nothing too long to aggravate the knee!

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Seriously...If I were a kensucky fan right now, I would be really worried that I just beat Ohio of Miami by two points at the buzzer, really? Either Ohio of Miami is a great team or kensucky, um....sux!!

I would be afraid, very afraid!! I can't get over this win. You've got to be kidding me. You win by two at the buzzer and then beat your chest like you just won a nc? Really? You know deep down Calasleazy is worried!!! He probably thinks "Oh crap this team is worse than my 2008 Memphis team!!" LOL

Watch when they go up against a buzz saw of a team. Let's see if Wall beats his chest!! They won't win by two, they'll lose by 20.

If this is the way they plan to win, I don't think SEC teams have much to worry about this fab team of freshmen. LOL- Funniest game so far this year!

Aligned 10 years, 3 months ago

Good decision Travis. You'll be kicking ass next year.