Friday, November 13, 2009

KU football emotionally tough

Kansas quarterbacks Todd Reesing and Kale Pick watch as the game winds down, finalizing the Jayhawks' loss at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, Texas, on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009.

GameDay Cram Session: Nebraska

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas football team's matchup against Nebraska.

Jayhawks wary of Cornhusker running game

After giving up some hefty yardage to Kansas-State's running back, the Jayhawks will try to shut down the fourth best rusher in the conference Saturday. Kansas is also looking to stop its current four-game slide.

It’s easy to look at a college football player and see his physical strengths.

Chiseled arms, strong frames and athletic builds are common for most. But, at Kansas University, the one characteristic of strength that you can’t see just might be the most important. Particularly this season.

“Our players are strong emotionally,” said KU coach Mark Mangino when asked how his team has handled falling from a fast 5-0 start to a 5-4 football team filled with question marks. “The reason they are is because we spend a lot of time in the offseason and training camp building emotional strength. Some coaches try to develop their players just for how to deal with adversity. Some work on how to get mentally ready to play. What we’ve done in the time that we’ve been here is that we work on building emotional strength. That means preparing kids for everything.”

Two guys equipped to talk about mental toughness — junior Chris Harris and sophomore Daymond Patterson — weighed in with their thoughts at a news conference Tuesday.

Harris, a defensive back who exploded onto the scene as a true freshman, suffered a season-long slump in 2008 but has bounced back and often been one of the best defenders on the field for the Jayhawks during 2009. KU’s third-leading tackler said his turnaround came because he never stopped believing in his abilities, even during the darkest days when he was benched.

With his team struggling through a four-game losing streak, Harris has tried his best to push his positivity onto his teammates.

“Sometimes in football you go through slumps,” Harris said. “I went through one myself. But you just have to stay together. I still have faith in this team and we still have faith in each other. Right now we just want to get some wins and finish off strong.”

Patterson, meanwhile, has experienced some of the same types of hardships. After a fast start as a wide receiver, Patterson was shipped over to defense midway through last season. The Jayhawks made that movie largely because they needed help on defense, but the transition took its toll on Patterson. Today, after playing prominent roles at wideout, cornerback and punt returner in a little more than a year and a half in Lawrence, Patterson is dealing with some new adversity, that which comes with not playing a single snap in the Jayhawks’ 17-10 loss to Kansas State last Saturday.

Despite the setback — both personal and team-wide — Patterson said the Jayhawks have gone about their business with confidence as they prepare for Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. kickoff against Nebraska.

“Even though we’re on a four-game losing streak, everybody really has kept their heads up,” Patterson said. “We still have our composure, and we’re still working hard. It’s no different than it was at the beginning of the season when we were undefeated. If anything, the intensity has picked up just because we want to get back on the winning track.”

Added Mangino: “We’re not going to get down from losing games. We’re going to find a way to get better. That’s the way we do it here. We keep looking for solutions. Nobody is feeling bad for themselves, there is nobody pouting.”

Comments

Aaron Carpenter 10 years, 3 months ago

Get outa here with that garbage meatsauce. I still believe in this team whole-heartedly and see a win for the ages saturday. While it's not for the Big 12 North title, I have a feeling that a win versus they who shall not be named will put a BIG bandaid on this team. We have to look back and appreciate what the seniors have given each one of us fans in the last few years. I spent my entire chilhood watching KU get pummeled. This very special group of seniors have brought back saturday gameday in Lawrence and givin me unforgettable memories (like sitting in the orange bowl in 50 degree weather!) I'm all in for a win saturday and the re-emergance of sparky and the offense. Rock Chalk!

phogthedog 10 years, 3 months ago

These seniors deserve our respect and our energy tomorrow. RCJHGKU

Andy Hess 10 years, 3 months ago

no way that sorry ass Husker offense puts up 27 points, meatsauce.

Rivethead 10 years, 3 months ago

njjayhawk: the one big consistent with this season: the more you type, the more ignorant you appear.

That "spotty" recruiting is currently sitting at the top spot for 2010 Big 12 North recruiting rankings.

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

Agree with swishmcjayhawk. NU will be lucky to score at all. Let's beat the snot out of these blowhards. And lets all show up so their blowhard fans don't take over our stadium again.....ever. I detest the Huskers.

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

I "ditto" five of these remarks.

Dear Nebraska fans. Don't bother making the trip. No one inside of Memorial Stadium is going to let these seniors lose on senior day.

Dear KU fans. Wear blue. Stand the whole game. STAY the whole game. Standing ovation and deafening noise for the seniors. And last but not least, LLLLOOOOOUUUUDDDDD ON EVERY PLAY. EVERY PLAY.

AZJHWK 10 years, 3 months ago

After a long life of one lost season after the other, I had hope for a turnaround when we won the Orange Bowl. I am a die hard KU Football fan. But now I see the Head Coach isn't getting it done, he plays games with players, sits them for no reason, the whole team is unproductive so that itself isn't a reason. The Money Men that got the facility improvements need to force the HC to get new coodinators if we keep the HC that is. The HC was successful in moving Kerry, now he must think that works for any position. Most college players have 4 to 5 years to develope skills in one position, or one side of the ball, these poor guys are consistently put in no win positions.If recruiting is so great why is there so little talent that we have to move players around? Lastly, ask yourself this, how long would a KU BB coach last with a .500 record?

Steve Brown 10 years, 3 months ago

be loud only on defense to disrupt their offense, please be quiet while we are on offense in case we need to audible and Todd needs to communicate with his team.

Loud on every D play when N has the ball and whisper before the snap while we have the ball.

shelly sue that is what you meant right?

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 3 months ago

Meatsauce, I noticed you have your hands in your pockets in your avatar pic. Is that how you got your name? Not much happening in Lincoln?

okiedave 10 years, 3 months ago

Would you believe that there are Sooners calling for the firing of Stoops because they are not in the hunt for the national championship this year. When fans' expectations are not met they become irrational. It is nice to know that K.U. fans have developed high expectations for Kansas Football. Thanks Mangino and Reesing and Company.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Win, baby win. Despite what a lot of KU fans might think, this is still a HUGE game for Kansas football. Maybe not this year, but from a recruiting standpoint and a mental standpoint for the future.

The problem, however, is this: We don't know how to run the football. And because of this fact...and it is a very looming fact....we will get creamed in this game and Reesing will be lucky to be alive at the end of it.

Nebraska 35, Kansas 14.

Please prove me wrong, Jayhawks!

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

And by the way....please DON'T sell your tickets to the cornheads.

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

If we can hold NU under 14, and I think we can, we have a great shot at winning this game. Stop the run boys, don't turn the ball over, and we can beat these guys. We have given the last four games away. Not this one. I dispise the Huskers.

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

Mangino ended the Nebraska and K-State losing streaks, took us to 4 bowls, won 3 of them including the Orange. He has become a victim of his own success. We will not find a better coach and if we do he'll bolt in a New York minute. Have faith and lower your expectations to a more realistic level. No other KU coach has taken us to 3 consecutive bowls. If it ever happens my money is on Mark.

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

I get the feeling that troutsee is jealous of the nebraska football tradition, since we've dominated some 80% of the meetings. Call us blowhards when in fact the only thing that will be blowing hard on saturday is the redshirt freshman (seriously?) lineman that will be grabbing his ankles all day lining up against Suh. We sacked weakling reesing five times last year and its only gonna get worse this year. You guys are delusional to think you will beat us, we just held oklahoma without a touchdown for the first time since 1998 for them! And some of you think youll score four or more? You guys clearly dont understand football. Even if it is senior day at a basketball school, half the stadium will be wearing red and making the most noise. Better to be a great football school than anything else. Its americas new past time and it pays the bills and feeds all the less interesting sports around the athletic department. This is why you despise us, its because you want what we have.

babyjay1 10 years, 3 months ago

Ok, really? NUFBrownsku??? First off, apparently they don't teach grammer or spelling in Neb. You should definitely know that America is capitalized but that's obviously above your head.... Football is big for you because it's all you'll ever have. Don't forget - we won an Orange Bowl AND a basketball National Championship all in the same year which pretty much rocks !!!! I'm also pretty sure that Kansas fans understand football very well and at least we can communicate that understanding!!!!! Rock Chalk!!!!!! And no, we don't want want you have - I'll love KU till the day I die :)

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

I thought I posted this already: lighthawk - yes defense! However, some cheers of support between offensive plays and after good offensive plays probably wouldn't hurt!

And Jimmy Dean: Wow a marriage proposal. Makes a girl feel good. :o)

Well said babyjay!! 2008 really was a fabulous year, wasn't it!! BCS bowl win AND the national championship. Wonder when Nebraska will accomplish that. Oh, I know when - NEVER! Oklahoma gets worse with each passing day so big deal on that one. Suh is good and will get his plays but the game won't be won by him alone. NUFB are you going to be at the game? If so I hope you sit by me - I could have some serious fun with that.

Rock Chalk!!

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

leave it to a ku fan to reach so hard for a come back that they will call your intelligence into question simply because you didnt capitalize something in a post on a newpaper website. whoa whoa you you used too many periods and exclaimation points in a row that means youre stupid! haha dumb kansas people aint got no education!!!!!! Im surprised your critique ended there? Maybe its because you had nothing to say! Ok so one orange bowl every 50 years is impressive, good for you guys. you know nebraska baseball isnt too shaby, maybe youve seen alex gordon in a royals jersey or a guy named joba chamberlain pitching in the world series or maybe you havent. Fact remains this is a football country and dribbling in your shorts just doesnt appeal to most like it does to kansas people.

Im ALSO pretty sure that those kansas fans who can read will understand that football is king everywhere.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 3 months ago

How we have played: CU could easily have been a win, KSU could easily have been a win and the Tech game could have gone our way. I don't know about the OU game. This team has lacked one thing more than anything and that seems to be luck. It is almost like there is a jinx on this team this year. Todd's carrying the ball like a loaf of bread in one hand (hands that are not THAT big..so why haven't the coaches addressed that with him? Or have they and he just won't listen. Frankly, the latter would not surprise me.) has been a problem, but otherwise this team just has not had many breaks. And that is amazing considering that our offense has yet to click for 4 qtrs, let alone a steady offense AND a good defensive show. That we have been in every game except for OU is just another sigh over what could have been, but it isn't over yet. Hawks, you could still relish being the spoiler. You could win at Texas. You could win the next three games AND a bowl game, turning a 4-game skid to a 4-game run. You are good enough. You are tough enough. I hope you do so that you seniors can go out with a sense of redemption.

Also, I get a sense that some times things gel because of chemistry and right now we donot have it for some reason. I suspect that Bill Young was a large part of the chemistry that is missing, but I don't know that. You know the saying, I'd rather be lucky than good, so what if everyone where's green to the game?

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

NUFB - see you back here on Sunday - that is if you show up. The fact that you come on our message board and spout your crap is rather hilarious to me. So are your baseball comments. The Royals - seriously? Little people like you make me laugh which pretty much makes my day.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

meatsauce 10 years, 3 months ago

Ladies, please. Some of you have suggested that our offense can't score 27 points. They won't need to. The defense will score 14. We'll have 25,000 fans at the game. Call it Lincoln Lite. Suh is coming.........and he's not happy. (cue the soundtrack from Jaws). Mr. Reesing, best of luck. Run for your life.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 3 months ago

One more thing...Mangino has done in less time something Bill Snyder never did at KSU and that is win 12 games in a season. After the 98 season where they lost to A&M in the conference championship game, they were so down that they lost to a mediocre Purdue team in the bowl game, which was NOT a BCS game despite being 11-1. That year they finished 11-2.

So, even though I think Snyder is a better coach Mangino has done a good job at KU and anybody that knows anything about football should reflect and see that. I hope that Coach M can continue to improve this program. It is at a critical point. The next couple of years could be a real challenge. But, I firmly believe that this coach needs to be in charge and not pushed around by boosters, administrators, fans, or players. The buck stops there and if everyone will agree to let him do his job, he will do well. If there is meddling, it will not work out well. Kind of like Congressional meddling when the military is trying to win a war. Snyder has support and total control. That is what is required. Coach, do what YOU know is best. I think we need discipline, on and off the field.

In Band of Brothers, the men of Easy Co. were so ready for war because their training was brutal. War became the outlet of a miserable existence. Maybe we need a more miserable existence prior to gametime.

meatsauce 10 years, 3 months ago

KURocksChalk, I would think that just living in Kansas would be miserable enough.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 3 months ago

Meatsauce, hard getting over that 2007 game, isn't it. What was it, like 48-7 at half-time. Yeah, that was a game for the ages. I guess losing to the Hawks like that, well, how embarrasing for a program that is "storied." And then losing this year to Iowa State. Guess those black shirts came out a little too soon. I guess it is possible that you could end up 7-5 but it is surprising that NU fans think they are back under those circumtances. It is like football on foodstamps. I really feel for you and all of those NU fans who have fallen on hard times.

screwyou 10 years, 3 months ago

That is what you get when scheduling pre-season cupscakes every year. Now back to the laughing stock of college football :) Welcome to Toilet Bowl this year and next year and next year ...

meatsauce 10 years, 3 months ago

KURocksChalk, Lame effort. Come on man, you're better than that. Come get some.

meatsauce 10 years, 3 months ago

KU-NU SERIES: Nebraska leads the all-time series by an 89-23-3 count, including a 46-8-1 advantage in games played in Lawrence.That's almost as embarrassing as our record against KU in basketball. Can someone recommend a good restaurant in Larryville? I'll be there Saturday night and I'll need someplace to celebrate. I'll have about 25,000 friends with me. Husker Nation is coming. We promise to leave behind a lot of money and maybe some DNA. You Kansas girls get your hooves trimmed. I'll bring a box of HoHo's.

wavemaker306 10 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to see my brethren being less than gracious. Hope it is a memorable game .Of course I want the corn to win but hey Congrats in advance if they don't. Every player, team, and fan deserves their time in the sun.

RedRocks

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

shellysue = moron... kansas football = royals baseball.....just because they both suck doesnt mean every player on the team is worthless...i though you knew this, i guess the laughing you do everyday might be you laughing at yourself, hey at least you have a sense of humor.

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

I dispise NU because of obnoxious fans like you. And, believe me, I have endured many slaughters of the NU-KU rivalry and have endured NU fans rubbing it in and parading through our stadium with the "go big red chant." Well, I got news for you, those days are over. I would rather beat you than MU or KSU and there are many KU fans who are right there with me on that one. 25,000? Are you serious? If you have 10,000 fans in the stadium, I'll be surprised. The Jayhawk nation will be there, standing and yelling from the opening kickoff. You think this will be easy. It won't.

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

heres the storied program for you KURocks Chalk

823 all time wins (fouth highest in the country) 45 bowl games played 5 national titles 11 undefeated seasons 348 consecutive weeks ranked in the top 25 from 1981 to 2002 (longest in the country) 3 heisman trophy winners 8 outland trophy winners (heisman for the big guy) most all time 46 conference titles 52 consensus all americans...

Blackshirts didnt come out early, defense is the reason we win. Iowa state was a fluke kinda like bucknell and bradley?

7-5 is not gonna happen, kinda like youre chances of finding something for your comebacks to stand on.

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

those days are over huh? so better than a hundred years worth of dominance is no more? Youre gonna need to win more than 2 in the last 39 years for that to even be considered a sane comment. good luck with that.

jayhusker1996 10 years, 3 months ago

NUFB & Meatsauce:

Quit giving us Nebraska fans a bad name. It's fans like you that make other teams hate the huskers. I am originally from Kansas and believe me it is really similiar to Nebraska! Both states have great people residing in them.

Jayhawkers, most Husker fans relish(sp?) on respecting other fan bases. Come up to lincoln on game day sometime and you will see how well other fans are treated.

As far as Saturday. Neither team will score in the 20's unless there are a lot of turnovers or special teams tds. Although Kansas has been in a slump on offense lately they have a lot of talent. Nebraska's talent this year is on defense. If I had to predict the outcome it would be 16-10 Neb. 13 pts off turnovers.

babyjay1 10 years, 3 months ago

We officially have the 2 WORST posters on this site now. Hopefully, they don't represent all NU fans because that would be sad for them. NUF and meatsauce are very poor representations of their school. Glad you think you're all that. I am proud of my status as a KU fan, win or lose. So, I will be cheering my Seniors tomorrow and I'll be back on Sunday to thank them for great football, win or lose. The morons on this board are you 2 NU fans who probably won't come around the KU basketball postings because you know you'll have nothing to say then. Can't say I've ever gone to another school's board to post, especially not the nastiness you're spouting. I feel sorry for you but hope you enjoy your day in Lawrence tomorrow. It's a great town! Rock Chalk!!!

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

Nufbrownsku:

The internet gives everyone the right to make a complete jerk of them self. Don’t abuse the privilege.

First you make an absolute a$$ of yourself and then claim we despise you because of your football prowess. Why would anyone despise Nebraska football? You are unranked and haven’t done anything significant in the 21st century. Nebraska is a mere shadow of what they once were now that Osborne retired and they are no longer actively recruiting criminals.

There are times when I wished the Nebraska faithful was just a bit smarter so they would know how dumb they are.

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

i think if you took the time to read through the posting in correct order you would find that it was in fact one you jayhawks that threw the first stone calling nebraska fans "blowhards" then you yourself poked fun at the supposed "lack" of education in nebraska. Since you took the job of checking grammar and spelling take a look at troutsee and his rendition of "despise" and make sure to correct the infalliable kansas minds. Get over yourself seriously, throw us under the bus when its one of your own who spouted off first calling the greatest fans (including myself) blowhards. We have a great fanbase and im part of it and i dont care what a guy who grew up in kansas and has the name JAYhusker says. (doesnt sound like a nebraska fan to me) And as far as basketball posts go youre right i wont be. I thought we went over this already, nobody cares about basketball, didnt you read the article i posted earlier?

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

2001 counts as 21 century does it not? we played in the national title game that year. maybe you arent as smart as you think you are.

NUFBownsku 10 years, 3 months ago

J.R. Giddens was an outstanding citizen.

babyjay1 10 years, 3 months ago

Nobody cares about basketball? That's the funniest thing I've read all day!! Let's see - best tournament ever? March Madness, hands down! But, whatever... you've proved yourself and made your statements and yes, you're a lousy fan. We post comments about NU fans on OUR board, the same way you would post on YOUR board but like I said before, I wouldn't go on another school's board and post nasty things about their school, their fans, their teams. You have a lot to learn about being a good fan.

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

meatsauce:

I’m sure you were bragging of your premature celebration the last two times you were here as well. Congratulations, you figured out how to change your username so you can post a comment without having to remove your foot from your mouth.

Just be thankful Mangino took his foot off the pedal during your last trip to Lawrence or KU would have scored a 100 against the blackskirts.

babyjay1 10 years, 3 months ago

And by the way, I'm a fan of the Chiefs and Royals, too and support them even when they're bad. AND, I thought it was pretty cool to get Alex Gordon from NU but I'm sure glad he has a better attitude than you! You only got nasty comments on this board because you're on OUR board and spewing it. KU has great fans - Rock Chalk!!!

rastameta 10 years, 3 months ago

Come on Nebraska fans, Bo Pelini is all that great of a head coach either. NU is still mediocre. His recruiting has been anything but stellar. You are delusional. You might win tomorrow, but NU football is nothing special anymore. The 18 year olds that are being recruited probably can't even remember the last time NU had a good team, and I am talking about the team that CU put 65 on.

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

nufbownsku:

You’re a guest!

If I posted on a site for Nebraska football fans I would be crucified and rightfully so. Just because you have the right doesn’t mean you have to abuse it. Why don’t you show everyone how classy Cornhusker fans are and leave. And take your friend meatsauce with you.

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

BabyJay....way to go. Your next to the last post says it all. I loathe and despise the Huskers and their obnoxious fans. NU's dominance is over. Deep down they know it but have a hard time accepting it. So they have to barge into our site and beat on their chests...a true sign of insecurity.

However, I'll take my hat off to them for their play against OU. Their defense is tough but not unbeatable. I personally have no desire to go on the NU site but apparently some of them want to crash our site. Here's hoping our team makes them pay.

GabrielMichael 10 years, 3 months ago

Kerry, Todd, Darrell and all the seniors, Thank you for sharing your talent and drive with us all (at least on Saturdays in the Fall). You are an inspiration and we are proud the way you represented our fine university.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

meatsauce,

You claim you are the greatest football program ever....

And...

We've beat you twenty-three times???

In football?

Fifteen times... at your place???

Tied you... six times?????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JBurtin 10 years, 3 months ago

So many Nebraska fans like to puff out their chest about how classy and wonderful their fans are.

Quite frankly, I'm just not seeing it.

I suppose they can justify their behavior in whatever way they see fit, but the fact remains that the Huskers on this board make me proud to be a Jayhawk.

Ian Brown 10 years, 3 months ago

Who even cares about Kansas football at this point? (A terrible rhetorical question--obviously a lot of you still care) Anyhow, watching Xavier, Sherron, and the rest of the Hawks annihilate their opponent in traditional Kansas basketball fashion made me want to cream in my pants. Lately I've been exposed to too much losing (Royals, Chiefs, KU Football, etc.) I need to watch a championship caliber team (KU BBall) mop the floor with the lifeless bodies of their opponents (next-MEMPHIS) through 40 minutes of hell. I want to see opponents silently praying for mercy, which they will not receive, considering KU BBall has an incredibly versatile nine-man rotation who will constantly apply pressure at both ends of the court. Sorry to all you die hard football fans out there, I know you hate it when there is any talk of anything other than football on this site, but really, this season is over. They have a shot at beating Mizzou for the simple fact that Mizzou sucks just as bad as KU. Nebraska will beat us by at least two-TDs. Texas... well, I don't even need to comment on that game.

Oh well.. It's basketball season, and Kansas has a basketball team that will actually live up to their hype unlike the choke artists that are the Kansas Jayhawks football team.

meatsauce 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow!!! What a bunch of pussies. I'm just trying to have some fun. Pull your panties out of your crack. 27-10 Huskers. Run Todd, run!!!

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Get ready for some bruises you big-mouth blowhard.

KURocksChalk 10 years, 3 months ago

Storied program = the headline, "Former Nebraska Player Gets Life"