Friday, November 13, 2009

Harrison Barnes chooses North Carolina

Ames High School basketball player Harrison Barnes looks on during practice at the school in Ames, Iowa. The 6-foot-7 standout has been pegged by many as the top prospect in the country.

Showing a flair for the dramatic, Ames (Iowa) High School basketball sensation Harrison Barnes announced for the University of North Carolina by placing a Skype call to UNC coach Roy Williams at 3:10 p.m. Friday from Ames (Iowa) High School’s gym.

Rivals.com’s No. 2-rated player, who had laminated signs of his finalists — UNC, Kansas, Duke, Oklahoma, UCLA and Iowa State placed on a table in front of him — phoned Williams, who appeared on a large screen along with members of the Tar Heel team.

There were technical glitches, but the 6-foot-8 Barnes was able to get his point across to Williams and a large crowd that cheered his decision.

“I have loved getting to know the players and coaching staff at North Carolina,” Barnes said. “The UNC program is outstanding. Coach Williams has done a good job of developing his players.”

Barnes said he chose UNC on “Tuesday or Wednesday, (but) it’s never final until you sign your letter of intent.”

He said UNC coach Williams, “found out when everybody else found out, when we did it on the Skype.”

Barnes did not tell the other five coaches of his decision, but did speak to all of them Thursday night.

Of KU, Barnes said: “Coach (Bill) Self has always had my respect for his style of play. His personal approach and demeanor are second to none.”

Barnes’ mom, Shirley, gave her take on the decision: “North Carolina was his pick, and everybody else was second.”

Ben Gouldsmith of the Ames Tribune provided some information for this story.

Comments

Eric Hammond 10 years, 3 months ago

Sitting here wishing and hoping that Harrison Barnes would choose the greatest University in the nation. Unfortunately, he decided to go another direction. I wish him luck in his future, and expect Coach Self to bring in a player that will out perform Harrison Barnes for the next four years. GO JAYHAWKS!!!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh well...enjoy Roy!

He won't bring you a NC this year.

Really disappointed in Harrison. But Ol' Roy did recruit 3 other Iowans to KU. He's staying consistent.

RCJHKU

LA_hawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Hurts a little bit losing that one to Roy. Oh well, it's his loss that he won't be wearing KANSAS across his chest next year. We'll still be fine next year at the 3 with Little and Releford. RCJH!!

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 3 months ago

Thank goodness this kid would have brought nothing but trouble. He is going to destroy UNC's program just wait and see.

Priest Fontaine 10 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Roy for never winning being nearly as good of a recruiter at Kansas. and never winning a us a championship. Self: time to get Knighted.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh well. Can't say I'm surprised. UNC will always be loaded as long as Roy is there and Michael Jordan pops up on capus duing high profile recruit visits. Kudos to them. Now we can at least turn our attention to Knight, Selby and Lamb. Dick Vitale is probably ecstatic.

MarchSadness 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh well, looking at our team this year its hard to be jealous of this signing. I remember cursing Xavier Henry last year when he put on the Memphis hat on ESPN and now look at Xavier now. I guess you never really know whats going to happen. ROCK CHALK!....oh ya, even though he wore the sticker I still dislike Roy.

RonBurgandy 10 years, 3 months ago

Good Riddance. It didn't look like KU was in the final decision anyways, looked like a Duke/UNC choice. Not that I like either team, but he picked the worse of the two.

MIlwaukeeHawkee 10 years, 3 months ago

Gotta believe that the recent KU thuggery/incidents hurt our chances with this kid.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Just some immediate thoughts after H. Barnes decision. This really makes this season very important for KU hoops. I am not trying to put any pressure on this team for the 2010 season, but anything short of an NCAA Championship at the very least a Final 4 would be disasterous. Winning a Championship 2 out of the last 3 years would have so much "Power" for future recruiting. I just hope KU can win it this year because UNC is going to be stacked for the next two or three years after this one. I think Roy Williams is making his final "Push" and trying to secure his "Legacy" as one of the greates coaches. I really hope Self can prevent UNC from winning a couple of Championships in the future.

KU 10 years, 3 months ago

Roy's disfunctional "family" or Self's stable of studs..........sounds like a simple choice to me. Must have been afraid X is going to stay 2 years. Just adds more fuel to the fire.......I HATE UNC!

RonBurgandy 10 years, 3 months ago

kushaw - Self's already stopped them once. He'll do it again.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

I would be completely happy with Woolridge and an addition of Selby or Knight or Both and or Dorn Lamb should both Selby and Knight commit to KU.

Scott Perlmutter 10 years, 3 months ago

He was the greatest recruit we could have ever hoped for. A team player, great academics (GPA was in the 3.7+ range), interested in staying for a couple years and not a one and done player. This guy was the dream recruit that we have been working to get for years. We just took a major blow today.

tis4tim 10 years, 3 months ago

I had the feeling, once I knew it would be on an ESPN network, that KU was out of the running. Why would a network that continually pushes us to the back page ever give us a little boost in the recruiting wars?

I watched the college basketball preview show last night and the first 10 minutes were devoted to f-ing Kentucky. We have the preseason number one team and we did a time share with Texas. Andy Katz' expression looked like someone with gall stones when he was forced to admit that KU is a good bet for the Final Four and possibly another NC.

Good luck to Harrison and I'm sure Self will get the right guy(s) for this team when all is said and done.

Beat Hofstra and strike a blow against PC culture.

ParisHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Wow, Harrison Barnes got way worse in a hurry! Until half an hour ago he was a fabulous talent, smart, a team player and a perfect fit for us.

You guys want a new logo with the Jayhawk holding a bunch of sour grapes?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Ronburgandy: I know, But KU can't be good every year and somebody other than KU has to stop them. Who stopped them last year? I guess KU can be held somewhat responsible for having every member of UNC's team come back last year after that disasterous loss in 2008. It was gratifying to see all those UNC players stock fall after the 2008 Final 4, but I would have rather had one or two of them go to the NBA so they didn't have an opportunity to win that title last year. Wouldn't it be sweet to see KU cut down the nets this year so we could say that Florida, UNC, and KU have won the Past 6 NCAA Championships.

northleavitt 10 years, 3 months ago

Dean Smith had his dirty hand in this one indeed. He would have been a nice addition, but we will be simply loaded next year (once again).

ParisHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, the time to post my comment and a lot of praise for Barnes to even things out.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Parishawk: You're lumping "Everyone" into one category. Actually, there were a number of people on here who weren't getting their hopes up for Barnes. I think it was pretty obvious that it was either Duke or UNC. For me, I wish it would have been Duke rather than UNC. I live down here so now I have to listen all these Tar Heel fans have a another "Minor" victory in something. Yes, I do sound Petty, but I do wish some minor failures for UNC and their fanbase in the future.

STLJHawk86 10 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations and best wishes Harry. If Roy is able to position UNC to play a high stakes against KU in the next few years (say - sometime in the month of March), I hope you don't regret today's decision.

njohn21 10 years, 3 months ago

As a lifelong Iowa native, and a KU grad, I have to say that the mood around the state was one that was "anywhere but KU or OU." Everyone here wanted him to play in-state or go where ISU won't have to play against him.

Not that I really thought we had much chance of landing him. I'd still rather see him go to Iowa State and have to play against him, rather than going to UNC (or Duke).

Brian Leiker 10 years, 3 months ago

I truly believe it had nothing more than Barnes not being able to face the McDermmot family if he chose a Big 12 school. Guess he doesn't have the "sack" like LaFrentz and Hinrich.

MIlwaukeeHawkee 10 years, 3 months ago

northleavitt - dont forget that Deandome was responsible for bringing both Larry Brown ( and in my opinion Danny Manning ) AND Ole' Roy to KU which without question helped return KU to national prominence.

Could even make a case that those moves begat getting Bill Self.

Find it hard to begrudge Dean Smith and his contributions to KU throughout his lifetime if you look at the overall picture.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Mr. Barnes, your loss. We all should of saw this coming with the talk of TR and Little redshirting. HCBS likely had an idea he wasnt getting Barnes IMO. Either way KU BB will be just fine. Coach Self knows what hes doing. I also agree with some that its possible X stays for 2 yrs, watching the first 2 games he has a sweet shot and looks pretty good on offense but his defense does need some work. Anyway Im just looking toward this season and it all starts tonight against Hofstra. RCJHGKU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Just think how Iowans like ole Uncle Roy now. He beats the crap out of ISU for most of his 15 years at KU. Takes away LaFrentz, Collison, Hinrich, & now Barnes. I just wish Roy would have recruited the east coast while at KU like he does Iowa.

Oh well - good luck to you Harrison. Trust in Self - RCJH.

RonBurgandy 10 years, 3 months ago

MIlwaukeeHawkee - Nope, it's still easy to tell Dean Smith to go sit on it, IMO.

keeb1211 10 years, 3 months ago

If you saw his press conference you would have seen a very well spoken young man that made a decision based not on the colors or the boys he'd be ballin with. He made a decision based on his academic desires mixed with the system that UNC runs. He would be a model student athlete at whatever Univ he chose. Good for Roy and good for UNC.

Also, this doesn't hurt at all. Were Kansas. Just like Duke, Kentucky, UCLA and the other blue bloods we will be just fine, there is plenty of talent to go around.

Rock Chalk - let's focus on the 2010 season...watch out Hofstra!

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

I used to like Dean Smith, until it became quite clear that he was working in the background during Feb-Mar of 2003 to get Roy back. Don't get me wrong, I am ultimately grateful for his backstabbing of KU, we ended up with Self and a NC. But, Dean is not welcome back for what he did. I never hated Roy - he is just a puppet of Dean.

Question of logic. If Dean Smith = Sith Lord, then Roy Williams = ????????

northleavitt 10 years, 3 months ago

The sarcasm in my post was obviously lost on you, but RonBurgandy is right. Dean Smith and his baby blue blazer can suck it. Roy has been forgiven for going home -- we're in a much better spot now with HCBS. Dean, however, is a compeltely different situation which I do not want to get into 3 hours before tip-off.

Roadkill_Rob 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh well. He would've been a nice addition but I'm not sure he would've fit in with Self's defensive philosophy. It sounds like Brandon Knight is the better fit with Self and company.

jcsmith 10 years, 3 months ago

Coach Self has already prooved he does not need top players out of a class to win National Championships. Thats the one big difference that I see between Coach Williams and Coach Self. Coach Williams has always been a good recruiter, and wins games strictley off talent. Coach Self has also always been a very good recruiter, but wins games off of the fundamentals of coaching and playing basketball. You can have all the talent in the world, but its wasted talent if you do not possess the fundamentals of basketball.

I would take fundamental skill over loads of talent anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Too much talent is bound to bite you in the butt at some point.

Heel4life 10 years, 3 months ago

Love watchin you hawk fans piss and moan, go ahead and hate dem Heels. Hate on Roy too...ya loved him when he was there but he moves on to greener pastures and now he is a bad guy? Trust me Roy would never come back to KU weather he were welcome there or not. He is at his Alma Matter and in his home state, could not be in a better position. Be happy you got a decent coach and a NC. But try to respect Williams & UNC, I mean the Heels are the reigning champs, and Williams is a HOF coach.

Scatterhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I'd hoped that after the 2008 title game the inferiority complex my fellow Jayhawks fans feel would have diminished.

Apparently that hope was in vain.

I do wish Harrison had chosen a Big XII school. I enjoy having the best talent in our conference (I still wish Michael Beasley had stayed longer at KSU).

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Heel4life: If Pissing and moaning is what we do than I don't know what you call this?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Where do all these Pissing and Moaning fans come from? Here is another one............

Good thing they aren't wearing Crimson and Blue. "We" as in KU fans have too much class for these classless acts. LOL!

SoCalAlum 10 years, 3 months ago

Good luck to Harrison - no point in being bitter about it. As with some of the posters above, likely he didn't want to have to play back there in Ames as an opponent of the locals. I didn't figure KU had a shot after reading his "Basketball Diary" in December SLAM...he writes about visiting NC, meeting MJ - and, here's the topper, his mom's "a huge fan" of MJ's and that his "sister's name and my middle name came from him." Done deal when MJ drops the charm on Mom, I guess.

Nonetheless, KU will figure to be solid at his position next year.

Hofstra's "Pride" will get hurt tonight, that's for sure.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

"Apparently that hope was in vain. Get over it, guys. I'd be happy if KU and UNC alternated National Titles for the next decade."

Actually, I would be happy if KU won 2 straight championships than alternated Championships. That would mean KU would always have a leg up. I can handle that scenario a little better.

MIlwaukeeHawkee 10 years, 3 months ago

Scatterhawk - Good post....except for the part about sharing Natl Champs w/ NC...I'm sensible but greedy.

Time to move on & take care of biz this season starting tonight....

I' m getting a little tingly with anticipation...probably another heart attack.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 3 months ago

wow! we now are definitely assured, that Roy's blood (UNC rearing, and Dean Smith) is thicker than his baptism into big time coaching water (KU.)

all those years we knew Roy wouldn't recruit out East because that was Dean's area...that was UNC's area.

but dadgummit, it just doesn't matter now does it? a kid in our backyard, and Roy takes him away.

a couple of months ago, i would have thought for sure it was us or Duke...and i still felt quite strongly that Bill Self would land this kid.

Roy is now loaded for the next two years....he'll be back in the Final Four for sure next year....maybe a chance to win back to back. they are going to be sooooo good.

And you can forget it Duke fans. you will not win another ACC title for the forseeable future....Roy is kicking your tail in recruiting....just destroying Coack K(forget about it.)

back to Knight and Selby for the spring i guess. wow, that was a tough one. Good Luck Harrison, but you should be a Jayhawk! (lol)

jayhawktownie 10 years, 3 months ago

well this obviously shows that he is a flawed decision maker and would have seriously hurt our team's chances at some point.

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

If you look at the clips with Royce and Barnes during the Jayhawk Invitational, I thought Royce really did well against a taller foe. Frankly, Royce is bigger than Barnes and stronger.

Barnes is good, but he's not all that good. I just wanted him for the sake of having a top recruit. Now we can focus on BK!

Also, I think deep down, Barnes wanted a team where the O would revolve around him. I think Ol' Roy told him he would be the center piece of his team. But he didn't tell Barnes what his record was for recruiting top talent and then failing to get the big prize. Barnes can play that smart, intelligent, calculating recruit all he wants, but deep down he's narcissistic. He's an individual player like Wall!! They can have them all. DON'T COMMIT TO KU IF YOU CAN'T PLAY TEAM BALL!!

Harrison- If you wanted a selfish kind of team play, you made the right choice!! Good Luck my friend.

RCJHKU

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh, It's not all that bad! Because of H. Barnes committing early, his ranking will now drop probably just inside or just outside the Top 10 just like X's did last year. LOL! Yeah Right, ESPN loves UNC! I am sure ESPN will now have the Top 5 recruits as this.

1. Harrison Barnes: LOI to UNC
  2. Harrison Barnes: LOI to UNC
  3. Harrison Barnes: LOI to UNC
  4. Harrison Barnes: LOI to UNC
  5. Harrison Barnes: LOI to UNC

Everybody else 6th and below: Doesn't matter because according to ESPNU UNC got the #1 recruit in the country. Stop the Presses!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

For those that didn't know what "LOI" above is, it stands for "Letter of Intent". Just making sure.

jcsmith 10 years, 3 months ago

Little early to be focusing so hard on next year isnt it? We are looking at possibly our second NC in 3 years and all we want to focus on is not getting a commitment from a top recruit for next year. You guys can set here and sulk. I'm going to head down to Mass and enjoy this one. I've already requested my leave for the first week of April. Hope most of you have too. See you all on Mass St come April. I'll be the one in a blue shirt with a case of beer in one hand and high fiving with the other. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh Wait. That will be everyone on Mass that night. Shucks.

Steve Brown 10 years, 3 months ago

dog gone it, I've never been prouder of a bunch of kids and never been more pleased to have them call me coach.

For Barnes: for couple reasons we were in the top 5 yet not in the top 2. As w. his ISU family and X (50/50) being here TAD instead of OAD. Hard to be a Dookey today. Ole' Roy got a good one. Kentuck is our new national rival anyway, who has time to hate the poor ACC teams. I bet the Big 12 will get more NCAA teams in the dance this year than any other. Don't bother looking down the ladder.

Lift your nose out of your beer, you could be a Memphis fan. Shudder the thought.

JCSmith< I'll be the one keeping your beer cold on Mass in April when I return from INDY.

Both coaches are outstanding, enough water under the bridge that I no longer have any ill feelings towards good ol' Roy. Mighty glad he was here those years between Larry and William. He broght us many outstanding teams and league banners.

AT the time I didn't think Roy would be better for us than Larry and at the time I didn't think Bill would improve on good ole Roy, yet I was wrong both times.

Mighty Proud to be a Jayhawk. RCJHGKU.

I propose a toast to Quinn Synder without which HCBS would be running a fine Tiger team down I-70 and we may have who knows who. Cheers to Coach Quinn.

tip off soon...go pride show us some heart.

Sparko 10 years, 3 months ago

Kansas didn't need him. Doesn't need him. Won't regret the decision. Self is a master teacher for the next level; Roy the master teacher for the college game. Not sure why someone with NBA aspirations would head to Carolina.

Debbie Mangen 10 years, 3 months ago

In regards to Heel4life's comment: If you earned your spelling knowledge at UNC, then I'm certainly glad I went to Kansas. I certainly hope you were more consciences when writing reports. I think I speak for many Jayhawk fans when I say we are happy you have Roy Williams too. Bill's boys shut down the number #1 player in the country 2 years back. He reloaded and got to the sweet 16 with a bunch of Freshmen. But you know what? If I were a Tarheel fan, I would have been madder than hell when Roy was sitting behind the winning team's bench wearing their logo and partying with their fans, while his team, your tarheels were off somewhere, still liking their wounds. He did the same thing to our players the year we came in second. He threw our guys out with the dirty water before the game was even over talking with the press about "going home". So yes, Heel4life, we are happy you have him. We'll keep Bill Self. He was able to do what Roy-boy couldn't, even in 15 yrs.

TheTruth08 10 years, 3 months ago

At the end of the day, Harrison Barnes is a great student and basketball player, but no different than any other top-flight recruit. He fell for the glitz and bright lights of the country's glamour school, North Carolina. Just like every other recruit. Just like everybody else. And maybe you can't blame him. If he would have chosen UCLA or Iowa State (and to a degree, Kansas) that would have stood out to me as a player or young man who walks his own path and makes his own mark. But he didn't. He's just like them. He's no different. Style wins over substance again.

86finalfour 10 years, 3 months ago

I remember Roy, when he was at KU, said he wouldn't recruit in parts of the east coast because he didn't want to take players away from North Carolina, hence all the west coast and Iowan KU players at that time. I guess Kansas is much different than his alma mater because Ames is pretty much Jayhawk turf in that it's the plain states.

yovoy 10 years, 3 months ago

i'm happy for this kid. the weight is off his shoulders, so to speak. sure i'd've liked to've seen him in our uniform, but i'm not going to bash him for his choice. must be okay now to pursue players "that have to fly over so many states" to get to the former coach's school. he couldn't go after top-ranked kids back east, but now he's there, it's okay. our n.c. did nothing to mitigate his crappy recruiting cop-outs. there's a certain "type" that he looks for, and let's face it, he'd never recruit a sherron, or morris twins, etc. barnes is his "type". no knock on barnes, either. good for him. whoever said the recent thuggery might've steered him away from here, might have a point, and good for the kid if he thinks he's "above" that.

if he chose for a mix of bb and academics, i'd say duke would've been the more obvious choice. i've read various places that nc state is the more "academic" of the 2 north cackalack schools. is that true? does anyone here know?

Joe Baker 10 years, 3 months ago

lighthawk (anonymous) says... truehawk I hope you are teasing, as Barnes was the 'real deal' he would wow us in every way.

I never said he was a terrible player. I know all the hype is true. It's just interesting that Williams was desperate enough to focus solely on HB. He even stood other players up on the recruiting trail to land this kid. I totally understand HB's type, me-ism! It's not enough I'm rated as one of the highest recruits, but I'm going where all the hype will be on me, not my team.

I bit my tongue the second I heard and knew that if he headed to the ACC, it was UNC!!

My hopes are now on Knight. We can hope and wish these guys will come to KU, but if they choose not to, that's fine. We don't have to like it at all. If he chose KU, ISU and UNC fans would be "pissing and moaning." All this will definitely be overcome by a NC in 2010!! The banner hangs in the Phog, that's all that matters.

RCJHKU

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Best of Luck Harrison.

We all like you & you chose a great Coach.

You did the best you could with the limited information you had -- we can't fault you for that.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Harrison Barnes -- See you in the Final Four next year.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 3 months ago

drgnslayr: Maybe you should retract that statement after 27 points by X. LOL! He's gone and we're only one game into the season.

kvskubball 10 years, 3 months ago

I like what I have seen from KU's 3 freshmen...

X definitely played like an elite player...he was focused and never got over-hyped...one cool customer - and very solid stroke from the line(s) - FT & 3 Pt (His first one as a Hawk will ALWAYS be 'GOOD')! Glad you're a Hawk, X...thanks for a great performance! Keep that focus!

The Prophet - nice moves, strong...If we didn't have X...I could see him playing the 3! Nice spin move, nice moves to the basket, and he to popped home his first 3 of his KU career, too!

TRob wasn't as good in this game as he was against Pitt State, but he shows great athleticism and works really hard...a rare combination for freshmen Bigs!

I would have liked Barnes to come to KU...seems mid-west kids do get caught up in the 'glamour' of going to the coasts and playing for big name schools. Wish they would stay close to home and help elevate Midwestern College BBall up to that PERCEPTION of elitism. I know we're there, but the perception is that we are somehow inferior...Three national POY's in the last decade says we're not inferior, but some athletes want 'the sure thing'...Good luck Harrison, which you were a Hawk!

I would say that Coach Self is a great evaluator of talent...TRob & the Prophet appear to have been very much under-rated by the scouting guru - 'experts'. They will be great Hawks.

Looks like it's going to be a Rocking Good Year!

Go KU! Trust our Self!!!!!!

Heel4life 10 years, 3 months ago

Well to Rockchalk_Mom let me apologize for my spelling. I didn't realize I was here to have my grammar scrutinized I shall be more judicious with the spell check in the future. Could Williams have won a championship at KU, perhaps..cheating prior to his arrival made it a bit tougher. http://www2.kusports.com/news/1988/no...

Would KU have won in 2008 without the recruiting efforts of Williams? I had mixed feelings watching him celebrate with KU fans but he did have fond memories there and still loved those kids....it's called sportsmanship KU fans, Google it. As to that game, I will tip my hat..UNC was out played and deserved to loose KU was on a mission and certainly deserved to win it all, I even rooted for them in the finals. And now for some FACTS. While coach at KU Williams had a record of 418–101, a .805 winning percentage and averaged 27.8 wins per season. Kansas won nine regular-season conference championships over his last 13 years. In seven years of Big 12 Conference play, his teams went 94–18, capturing the regular-season title in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2003 and the postseason tournament crown in 1997, 1998 and 1999. In 2001–02, KU became the first, and so far only, team to go undefeated (16–0) in Big 12 play. From 1995-98, Kansas was a combined 123–17 - an average of 30.8 wins per season. Williams' teams went 201–17 (.922) in Allen Fieldhouse, and won 62 consecutive games in Allen from February 1994 to December 1998. Kansas was a regular in the Associated Press Top 25 from 1991 to 1999, placing in the poll for 145 consecutive weeks. Williams' teams were ranked in the Top 10 in 194 AP polls from 1990. Kansas led the nation in field goal percentage and scoring in 2002 and in scoring margin in 2003; they held opponents to the lowest field goal percentage in the country in 2001 (37.8 percent). So much for the Idea Ole Roy doesn't teach defense huh?

Kansas was also the winningest team of the 1990s, despite failing to win any NCAA championships during the decade. So again I understand the sour grapes for loosing this guy, and Self is a great coach. KU is a good school and has a great basketball program. Only Kentucky and North Carolina have won more basketball games. Only UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky and my Heels have more NCAA crowns.

rockchalk10jk 10 years, 3 months ago

heel4life- You should really stop having so much pride in your state. That got you and 11 other states in trouble about 150 years ago. Do I like bringing up the civil war and how pivotal Kansas (and more importantly Lawrence) was during it and how ignorant, selfish, and moronic you and the rest of the south were? No. Just on occasion really. States rights my arse. You guys just didn't want to do your own work or pay for someone to do your own work. So you fight for that right to laziness. Yes I still hate the south and all the ever ever have or do or will do or have done or any other words like the previous. I am not a big supporter of war but if there was another civil war, I would take up SOOOOO much arms against the south. That includes you to Missouri. and Kentucky.

escaped_labrat 10 years, 3 months ago

heel4life, time changes everything. I was getting my leather jacket signed by the KU players this past September at the KU/Duke football game and Tyshawn Taylor looked at my jacket and saw Roy Williams autograph that I received after he earned victory #301. Tyshawn said "Roy Williams?" like he couldn't understand why in the world I would have his signature on my jacket. My sentiments exactly. Hard feelings? No Harrison Barnes is your recruit to lose....great, congrats. Why are you still here, trolling a KU site. You're acting like a little brother that feels like you have something to prove to us because last time I checked, you wouldn't have all of that tradition, championships and everything else had it not been for a KU alumni by the name of Dean Smith. He moved on from here and built a dynasty at your UNC and dedicated himself to creating the family you have come to know today, just as Kentucky wouldn't be where they are had it not been for another branch from our tree, Adolph Rupp. Maybe you should come visit our fine campus and experience the awe of the cathedral known as Allen Fieldhouse. KU is where it all began and will be in the end :-)

100 10 years, 3 months ago

Interesting points being made.

As a proud Grandpa, I would never let my grandchildren go to school in the South. No matter how hard North Carolina tries not to be the South, they are. Don't let the "North" in the name fool you. It's "More North than" South Carolina by a few feet...

Great people to spend time with for about a week, great accents, especially from the fairer sex -- then the truth starts coming out after they've warmed up to you, had a couple drinks and are breaking out their cheese before the game at the Dean Dome... when that truth begins to unfurl, run as fast as you can to get out of the Dean Dome... Run for the free state.... or even Missouri, for a quick breath of partially cleanish air before you have to take a leak on Quantrill's grave.... then keep running, but run faster, because there in that cemetary called Missouri it's almost as bad as Carolina, however it smells like a bunch of outhouses built in 1865 & a bunch of unshaven men & women with hair gel & black leather jackets yell a lot more & don't even try to sweet talk you with their accent... they yell at you like the Meth tellst them they're seeing it!!!!!!! They see us all as tiny little animals there to steal something from their couch on the street, which they just forgot they just sold for $3!!!!! Run, run, run from the Missouri-Carolina-South!!!!!

The south is no place for a smart young man to be!!!!!!!! Run!!! Don't go to their cheese parties! You don't even want to know what they're talking about! Run!!!!!

Truly, as a midwesterner, that's the only part of Harrison Barnes decision that I find intruiging & quite frankly troubling, considering his incredible & vast intelligence & truly caring, articulate, loving mom.

As great of a man as Roy Williams is (and he's as great as they come), if Harrison follows through with his letter of intent he just signed, his midwestern upbringing is unfortunately in for a rude awakening. Roy can only protect him so long. Tyler Hansborough moving from Missouri to Carolina made sense. I mean, c'mon, the difference between Missouri & Carolina is.... well, not that much, except for plumbing, accents & more whispering, as surely Tyler must have seen... Harrison Barnes from Iowa to Carolina is a tough one to fully grasp -- Aimes is a great place, with true midwestern values of honesty & integrity, all are free, and that's the way Iowa has always been. Unfortunately I've seen too much down South & so much of it is underhanded & not pretty....

However... he will be fine & maybe greater for it. He will be great at UNC.

I am a huge fan of this kid after that press conference -- what a role model & what a speaker, he makes JFK seem like a bumbling drunk, & that's saying something considering JFK is without a doubt in the top 3 of all presidential speakers. Just wish Harrison, for his own sake, would have studied how backwards 1/4 of the United States still is on certain issues.

Run!!!

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Ok, so here’s a post no one will read –

Heel4life,

For 15 years, KU gave Roy everything: his big opportunity; unfailing adoration; and we gave him a pass for not recruiting east of the Ohio Valley. Hell, we even gave UNCle Roy a pass for getting Terry Allen hired. You may not know this, but Terry Allen almost killed KU football. 15 years was quite long enough to rebuild from the NCAA penalties that affected KU in the late 1980’s, thank you very much. I’m not sure why that was even brought up.

Roy won lots of league titles and went to the Final Four, four different years. It was a special relationship between KU fans and Roy. He was given everything he ever wanted at KU, until the last year or two when we had a goofy new AD who wasn’t Bob Frederick. Then, Darth Smith got into his ear and convinced him to leave. KU even fired that goofy AD that caused the problems, just to get Roy to stay. Well, for most KU fans (who did nothing but worship the ground Roy walked on) it really stung to see him leave.

Then a breath of fresh air arrived. Bill Self brought midwestern common sense and grit to KU basketball. He won more conference titles than UNCle Roy in the same amount of time and he won a NC in 5 years. And best of all, he actually recruits across 100% of the country and doesn’t eliminate certain regions because of past loyalties. Self talks straight and gives KU 100% of himself, 100% of the time. Only in hindsight did us loyal Roy fans realize what UNCle Roy was NOT giving KU.

Thanks for 15 great years Roy, you are finally at school that you can give an honest 100% of yourself to. It must really be great to finally recruit to the best of your ability.

Final Thoughts:

Don’t come on this board acting all smug about UNC loyalties to Roy. In 2008 the web was filled with hateful UNC fans trashing Roy for that Final Four. So don’t pretend that all UNC fans are dog loyal to Roy. We never trashed UNCle Roy like that in the 15 years he was here. Be honest – nothing else counts.

When you go on someone else’s message board, yeah, you need to spell correctly or they will ridicule you. It’s called spell check and then cut and paste. Technology actually makes it pretty easy.