Thursday, November 12, 2009

Losing streak ‘hurts’ Jayhawks

KU football reeling over recent skid

A last ditch pass to Kansas receiver Dezmon Briscoe falls incomplete as he is surrounded by Colorado defenders Cha'pelle Brown (29) Benjamin Burney (42) and Anthony Perkins (46) during the final seconds Saturday, Oct. 17, 2009 at Folsom Field.

KU football facing late-season hurdles

Kansas football is stuck in one of its most sub-par stretches of the past few years.

Angus Quigley is no stranger to adversity.

In his final two seasons at Cleburne (Texas) High, his teams went a total of 1-19. During his second season as a member of the Kansas University football team, he was relegated to a wheelchair due to a freak hip injury. And despite leading the Jayhawks in yards per carry as a running back last season, he underwent an offseason switch from running back to linebacker, a position at which he is just now beginning to feel comfortable.

But there’s something about the past month — an inexplicable stretch in which Kansas has suffered four straight losses and seen a once-promising season derailed — that makes the previous issues seem rather dull by comparison.

“Some of those other stretches, like where we didn’t go to the bowl game (in 2006), I really wasn’t involved,” Quigley said. “I played a little bit, but it was more like, ‘Next year; I have next year.’ But now that it’s the end of your career, it’s like, next year is not promised. And, man, it just hurts.”

This is the reality Quigley and the team’s seniors are coming to grips with at the moment.

A few months ago, the team’s current predicament would have been hard to imagine. The Jayhawks — loaded with their most talented roster during coach Mark Mangino’s tenure, according to the pundits — were predictably ripping through opponents. They were 5-0. The offense was humming. Quarterback Todd Reesing had begun to generate the slightest of Heisman buzz.

But then came Colorado and an upset loss in Boulder. Then came a loss at home to Oklahoma. And another to Texas Tech. And finally, Saturday’s 17-10 loss to rival Kansas State, a game that effectively ended the team’s preseason hopes of a Big 12 North title.

Make no mistake, it has been tough on players. A week or two ago, Kansas University linebackers coach Bill Miller posted a quote in the linebackers’ meeting room: “Nothing’s sadder than what could have been.”

Quigley has been thinking about that quote a lot lately.

“That was our goal all season,” Quigley said of a North crown. “That’s what we prepared for during winter, spring, summer, camp. That’s what we felt like we were capable of doing, and I thought we were capable of doing that.

“But things don’t always work out like you want them to.”

Players are trying to stay positive. Following the loss to Texas Tech, Reesing organized a players-only meeting in which he and fellow captains Darrell Stuckey, Kerry Meier and Jake Sharp addressed the team. Players spoke candidly about various things, and the prevailing theme to emerge was that there was still plenty to play for.

“When you see guys like Kerry Meier — guys that will give everything for the program and work their butts off — that are crying after the game, that he’s hurt that we lost, that’s what drives me,” Quigley said. “And I can’t let them down.”

Heading into Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. meeting with Nebraska, a game that was supposed to help decide the North champion, but now serves as a cruel reminder of what could have been, the team will attempt to gain bowl-eligibility in what will be the last game at Memorial Stadium for the program’s seniors.

And while he admits the past four weeks have been difficult — thanks in no small part to what he considers a loss of respect from the fan base and local media — Quigley also insists there is still business to be taken care of during the next three weeks.

“The biggest things we’ve seen is that (when) you start losing, people leave,” Quigley said. “And we just have to put that aside and play like a family. Because when it’s all said and done, it’s about us on that field that’s playing the game.”

Marshall to begin treatment next week: Kansas defensive end D.J. Marshall, who was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma, is scheduled to begin treatment at the Cancer Treatment Center in Tulsa, Okla., next week, Mangino said Wednesday.

“I had a long conversation with his dad on the phone today,” Mangino said. “He says (D.J.’s) very happy to be with his family. He missed his teammates, but they’re going to get him up here for the game (Saturday), which he wants to do and his dad wants him to do, because they think it’s important for him to be around his teammates and coaches.”

Marshall, a red-shirt freshman from Mesquite, Texas, informed coaches of his diagnosis Thursday, and Mangino said Wednesday he would provide periodic updates on Marshall’s treatment and recovery.

“His spirits are good, but obviously he’s pensive and concerned,” Mangino said. “But everything looks good. We’re praying, and we’re hopeful that it’ll be a full recovery, and everything that we’re hearing is that he’s got a tremendous chance to have a really good outcome.”

Comments

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

We better win this game...If not for the seniors then for DJ Marshall...I will be praying for him and his family...I wish I could go to the game...I will be watching on TV.

RCJH

kansas22 10 years, 3 months ago

Senior night. Enough said. Those that have the opportunity to make it to the game, be there! This Senior class has probably been the most important to this program than any other class that comes to mind regardless of how this season pans out. Come out and show some support for the last home game these guys will play in a Kansas uniform. Rock Chalk

FlaHawk 10 years, 3 months ago

GO HAWKS!

actorman 10 years, 3 months ago

"Last chance for Seniors to show that they can beat NU twice in a row at Lawrence. How long has it been since a class at KU could claim this? 50's?"

I believe the answer to that would be two years. KU beat NU at home in 2005 and 2007. Now how long it's been since KU has won THREE in a row at home against NU I can't answer ...

OCJHAWK 10 years, 3 months ago

Good luck to DJ in his battle with cancer.

FSUJHAWK 10 years, 3 months ago

Underclassmen: You'll be seniors someday. Don't let your senior brethrens down. Regardless of the previous play or score, give it your all.

Fans with tickets: Show up, and respect the players and the program - stay until the final whistle blows. If that is not your intention please give your tickets to someone who will!

Senior Day Guys. We still believe.

RCJHGKU!!!

beauj 10 years, 3 months ago

Fellow Jayhawk Fans, please show up and stay for the entire game. This senior class has given our program so much and they deserve a big, loud crowd for their last game at Memorial Stadium. Let's pull together, support the team, and get a W. Rock Chalk!

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 3 months ago

we're still talkin about football?? haha just kidding... ill be there. but seriously; HOOPS!

Steve Brown 10 years, 3 months ago

wear blue and if you come to sell your TIX as I've heard so many share with me, then sell them to anyone NOT wearing RED!

I watched the Bo::Pellini show this week and their DB report they have worked in practice all year how to intercept wounded duck sideline throws is why they were succesfful against Oklahoma. We had better practice the hitch out and then run deep routes or could be long day.

PS: Makenoise on Def all the plays not just 3rd down. Or else we don't have home field advantage.

741hawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I'll eat my two extra tickets before I sell them to a Shucker!

nicholasu 10 years, 3 months ago

If the Sr's can't get up for this game, they are not football players, but you know what, they all are and maybe i'm still optimistic that some miracle can happen and we win out and end up 8-4! I think if we can win this game at home, not only are we bowl eligible, it will give us some confidence heading into UT, a homecoming for Todd and the Mizzou game. LETS GO KU! Start with beating NU and Finish with Mizzou and who knows, maybe UT will overlook us and and we can pull the miracle and beat UT. See you this weekend and we better be loud and show that this is still OUR HOUSE!!!

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

Could this be any more sad? My thoughts and prayers are with DJ and his family. The jayhawks are going to win Saturday because Kerry Meier and Todd Reesing deserve that win. I will be there in blue, standing and cheering the ENTIRE game.

To all the Jayhawk Seniors - Thank you SO much for making KU football so much fun over the past few years. Last year's win against Missouri was the BEST. The BEST. Thank you! Kerry - that photo of you catching the winning touchdown against MU is absolutely priceless. Love it. You will be smiling like that again in two days. Thank you all for everything you've done for Jayhawk football. You're the best!!

Rock Chalk!

OmaHawk88 10 years, 3 months ago

When I went to KU in the mid-80's, this was another home game for NU. The stadium was mostly red with pockets of blue in between. If you have extra tickets, please make sure they get to a KU fan who can attend the game.

I'll be wathching at home on TV and I hope to see a stadium covered in KU blue. And I expect to hear crowd noise on every defensive play. Let the Bugeaters know that they can no longer take over our stadium for this game.

Most importantly, we need to let this senior class know how much we appreciate them for what they have meant to this program over the last four years.

Go Jayhawks!! Kick some Cornhusker a$$!!

FriscoKU 10 years, 3 months ago

If Todd Reesing does commit turnovers, the team has a chance to beat Nebraska and Missouri. I never thought Reesing would the reason KU is losing. Nicholasu, this team has no chance to beat UT!!!!!

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 3 months ago

Get well, DJ. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

knayte 10 years, 3 months ago

So Quigley and the rest of the team have to band together as a family in face of rejection by our own a**hole fairweather fans. Well done, KU fanbase. Let's make up for it on Saturday. I'm gonna be cheering my heart out for these guys. We're gonna stand for the entire game and if one person tells me to sit down (as happens every game), I will politely decline.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

1. Overload NU's cornerbacks, Coach Mangino!

I'm telling you, try it once, just once -- Nebraska has an answer to our running game, just as they had an answer to Oklahoma's running game.

But they have no answer to 3 receivers on one cornerback, spread out all over the field. Why? Because Nebraska's D coordinator all game will have 7 guys attacking the line, leaving at least two receivers wide open (if we overload).

1. Let's break out the time machine & let Todd out of the pocket! Let him curl to the edges to make his throw, let him buy his own time... The snap must come a few yards deeper -- give Todd his vision back!

Please try it once, if not all game -- I guarantee it will work, it's so frustrating for a defensive coordinator & it's so much more fun to watch.

Rock Chalk, Coach Mangino

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm so sick of KU's students, they've got to be the worst students in the Big XII. Especially when it comes to football.

number1jayhawker 10 years, 3 months ago

Dugan, no mention of the KU LB transferring out?

Vernon Brooks has left the team and is transferring somewhere yet inknown to him. Good luck but don't let the door hit you in the backside.

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

knayte - as I posted, KU athletics wants us to stand and cheer in support of our Jayhawks. They said that many don't understand they might have to stand for an entire game. "We tell those fans who complain that they purchased their tickets and want to sit for the game, that it is a live sporting event and if they want to see, they will need to stand".

BLUE STAND CHEER GET LOUD - EVERY PLAY - EVERRRRY PLAY ENDLESS STANDING OVATION FOR OUR SENIORS

Rock Chalk!

knayte 10 years, 3 months ago

shelleysue, is that really a quote from KU Athletics? If so, I want to print it out and bring it with me to the game.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 3 months ago

FriscoKU says... Nicholasu, this team has no chance to beat UT!!!!!

We have as much chance of beating UT as KState did the last couple years.

knayte - I've seen it before. Call/email KUAthletics to get it first hand.

Angus, et al. - “Nothing’s sadder than what could have been.”

That has one level of truth today, but could be even worse in a couple months. Don't miss out on what could be, because of what could have been.

Michael Leiker 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey Angus - I'm not leavin'. See you Saturday. Huck the Fuskers!!!!!!!!!

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

DO NOT SELL YOUR SPARE TICKETS OR SOME **SHOLE NU FAN WILL SUCK THEM UP. BEAT THE HUSKERS. HATE HATE THEM!!!!!!

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 3 months ago

stop crying about the fans. there are a million and one things that need to get fixed first for the team to be successful. For example, OU game was packed until the 4th quarter. But no matter how loud it got, we cant yell away an interception, or three for that matter. i know people leave early, most of the time this year its been after the team has already checked out themselves. ill take talent over the home field advantage. so would every coach out there. KU has a great program and fans all over the country.

knayte 10 years, 3 months ago

We have great fans...when we're winning.

10 years, 3 months ago

Jhaux ~

To win the North, a lot of things have to happen. Besides us winning out, I think we would have to end up in a three-way tie for first place with KSU (loses their last two games) and NU (loses last two of three, beating KSU). It could get more interesting if CU also finishes 4-4 in conference play. We would then have to win one of the subsequent tie-breakers.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

10 years, 3 months ago

...not to mention if ISU also finishes 4-4 :^)

jahawkdave 10 years, 3 months ago

From the Omaha World-Herald:

“You definitely want to go in there and, for instance, keep kicking the dog,” Suh said. “You want to keep kicking it and keep moving forward and run it over and then go to the next one.”

Funny thing is Suh wrecked his car trying to avoid hitting an animal.

Somehow, someway we need to beat NU!

Reesing shouldn't try and make the incredible plays, just make the easy plays he can make. Take the sack or throw it away when you have to, protect the ball. Coaches better coach these guys up and have a gamplan that can be succesful. I want to travel somewhere warm and watch the Hawks win a bowl for the third year in a row!

shelleysue 10 years, 3 months ago

knayte - the people behind us have been harassing us for that past 2 or 3 games telling me to sit down and shut up, making rude comments etc. I finally had enough and shot off an e-mail. I heard back from someone at KU Athletics. He told me if I have a problem again to text the number in the stadium. After we discussed our options if they continue to bother us, I asked him if I was doing anything wrong. He said from what he could tell by my e-mail, no - that he wished they had more fans like me. I told him when I go to a sporting event I go with the mindset that I might have to stand the whole game. He said a lot of fans don't understand that then said what I have in quotes. He said other things as well, but yes he did say what I have there. I told him I was very glad to hear him say that and that I would be standing and cheering the whole game on Saturday!

babyjay1 10 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely - wear blue, HUGE standing ovation for the Seniors, and MAKE NOISE! We can beat NU! Our seniors deserve this game and they deserve our appreciation for the awesome games we have witnessed the last couple of years! THANK YOU Hawks! Maybe "meatsauce" should stay away since all he can post is a losing score. Every game is winnable - that's why they play the game and why I LOVE the game!! Rock Chalk loud & proud on Saturday!!!

azhusker 10 years, 3 months ago

the facts.........deal with this

The Blackshirts have given up only three passing touchdowns this season, tying Air Force for the national lead. Nebraska is the only school in the country allowing a touchdown pass on less than 1 percent of the opposition's passing attempts. Nebraska has held five opponents to 50 percent or less in the passing department and the opponent pass completion percentage of 49.8 percent ranks sixth in the country.

Jayhawker63 10 years, 3 months ago

I am going to be at the game on Saturday. I hope we put up a good effort for all the Seniors and Marshall.

troutsee 10 years, 3 months ago

AZHusker, thanks for the stats. I guess we might as well not show up. Now, if only the Husker offense did not have to participate, you all might be able to be in the NFL. I hate Nebraska and all of their blowhard fans.....like you. Guess what, we ain't scared and we will show up. Stay on your own site, jackass.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

AZhusker,

Thanks for the incentive. Thanks for coming onto our board.

Mangino -- overload their cornerbacks with multiple wide receivers, make the snap 2 yards deeper, give Reesing his vision back & see how many TD's his precious "Blackshirts will give up"....

Reesing can pick these guys apart if you let him do it his way -- no more pocket cr*p. Let him run free & find his receivers.

Let's take these guys...