Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dugan Arnett’s KU football notebook

There are brains and there is brawn, and then there is Ndamukong Suh, the University of Nebraska defensive tackle who appears to possess a good amount of both.

While his size (6-foot-4, 300 pounds) is what jumps out at onlookers, the senior from Portland, Ore., also has developed a reputation as one of the game’s thinking men, a player who has used his head to dominate opposing offenses this season.

“You can’t fool him,” Kansas coach Mark Mangino said of arguably the conference’s top defensive player. “People have tried to fool him with various blocking schemes, and he’s not fooled. He’s well coached, and he really understands the dynamic of the game and how it really works.”

He certainly seemed to against the Jayhawks last season, when he finished with 12 tackles (four for loss), 2.5 sacks and, for good measure, a two-yard touchdown pass while moonlighting as a tight end.

This year, he hasn’t slowed down much.

Through nine games, he has recorded 13 tackles for loss (five sacks), blocked three kicks and been a primary reason the Huskers defense is allowing just 10.3 points per game, second in the nation.

As it stands now, the responsibility for keeping Suh in check will fall upon Kansas University red-shirt freshman right guard Trevor Marrongelli, who is coming off his first collegiate start last week against Kansas State.

“At the moment, yeah,” KU offensive coordinator Ed Warinner said. “We don’t have one of those guys walking around right now that you can throw in against him.”

The good news for Marrongelli is that, if he struggles to corral the future NFL Draft pick, he won’t be alone.

“He’s pretty disruptive in most games,” Warinner said.

Mangino not changing motivational tactics amid losing streak

Although he and his staff have carried out a number of positional switches over the past few weeks, Mangino said Tuesday that his motivational tactics have remained constant during the team’s recent four-game losing streak.

“When you take drastic measures during a tough time, the kids wonder, ‘Is the coach panicking? Do they not have confidence that we can pull out of this?’” Mangino said. “And we’ve always stayed the steady course because we believe we can pull out of it.”

Patterson slowed by injury, increased competition

Kansas cornerback/punt returner Daymond Patterson’s absence against Kansas State last Saturday was the result of injury, Mangino said Tuesday, though the sophomore also has been faced with competition at the left cornerback position.

“He’s not feeling well. There’s no question that’s part of it,” Mangino said. “And then other people are making a lot of improvement, too. The main reason is that he wasn’t 100 percent, and he didn’t feel up to it. But we’re also getting a lot of competition at that position that I was hoping it would play out that way, and it is.”

In Patterson’s absence, Anthony Davis took over the role of backup cornerback, and true freshman receiver Bradley McDougald handled punt returns.

Comments

OCJHAWK 11 years, 10 months ago

I think Pick comes in early in this game if Todd's groin hasn't vastly improved. We need this game way to much with Texas looming next.

Topcitykid10 11 years, 10 months ago

Kansas 35 NU 10 I still believe in your hawks

troutsee 11 years, 10 months ago

I dispise NU. We must beat them. I'd rather beat them than any other team.

beauj 11 years, 10 months ago

Jayhawks: Speaking for myself and all my friends & family, I still believe in you guys. We know how much you care about this program and we will support you all the way. Thanks for all you do, keep working hard, and let's finish strong. Rock Chalk!

P.S. For fans who have contemplated giving up on this season, please read the article below. I know we are all disappointed, but imagine how much our players are hurting. If you've got tickets, please show up Saturday and at Arrowhead. Our guys need us.

Eliott Reeder 11 years, 10 months ago

That WAS sad. Almost as sad as what could have been.

truefan 11 years, 10 months ago

To quote my manager at work, "You guys don't care, it's basketball season anyway." To which I replied, "No, I still care. Just because our team lost doesn't mean I am not a fan, it means that I am a disappointed fan." It has been a tough season, a long season, but I am going to stick it out. The team no longer has any pressure on them. They no longer have any expectations. In fact, they are expected to lose every game for the rest of the season, so why don't we, as fans, do the unexpected and continue to support our team anyway.

OmaHawk88 11 years, 10 months ago

Beat Nebraska!

I was reading a message board earlier from an Omaha World-Herald column published yesterday that said NU is the best team to represent the North in Dallas. All the comments were about the 'Skers' game against KSU on the 21st, and they seem to think this Saturday's game is an automatic win for them.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!

741hawk 11 years, 10 months ago

I've got two extra tickets, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sell them to a Husker.

Shuckers can't score. Could be a great game / a great KU win. Be there!

Michael Leiker 11 years, 10 months ago

I like KU 21-13 in this one. I think we'll get some guys open against NU, and I'm still convinced this team has a breakout game in it.

mondhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

boy i wish ku could get a suh for our DL FIRE MM

lv_jhwk 11 years, 10 months ago

shelleysue 11 years, 10 months ago

I agree omahawk. The great news is, I heard from KU athletics and as it turns out they WANT me to stand and cheer during the games. He said they have fans who complain that they pay for their tickets and they want to sit and watch the game. They are told it's a live sporting event and if they want to see they will need to stand. That a lot of fans don't understand this. He said a lot of things that make me feel so much better now - he was awesome. I told him I would be there Saturday standing and cheering the entire game. In blue of course!

Things change this weekend. Rock Chalk!

By the way - why are people calling for Mangino to be fired? Look what he's done for this program! Granted we have improvements to make but we have come so far since he's been at KU. Let's face it - we probably aren't going to be playing for the national championship any time soon. Winning seasons and bowl games is what we should expect and he's giving that to us for the most part. Five years ago I never would have imagined losing only one game AND winning a BCS bowl game. Good grief have you forgotten about that already?? Not to mention last year's amazing win over Missouri - one of the best football games I've EVER seen and I've been watching football for a very long time.

Joseph Kuebel 11 years, 10 months ago

Reesing, Sharp, Meier, Stuckey, Onyegbule, Thornton, Blakesley and all the seniors deserve a packed, loud and hostile Memorial Stadium crowd covered in blue for all 4 quarters at their final game in Lawrence...

CAN THE FAT MAN!

Joseph Kuebel 11 years, 10 months ago

Football is over, Bball has begun! God I love being a REAL KU Fan! LETS GO KU HOOPS!

vc727 11 years, 10 months ago

meatsauce, wanna post that score prediction one more time. I don't think twice in one thread is enough.

Kansas has a real chance to pull out at least 2 of the last 3 games. I'll be there screaming and cheering till the very end no matter what. Go Hawks!!

KURocksChalk 11 years, 10 months ago

I hope that Reesing does do a quick kick on third down as he reportedly told a student (posted on the article on the spread offense), then maybe he can be benched for good.

He is not playing well and from that statement does not seem to respect his coach nor does he apparently take responsibility for two games that he has given away. Not playing well AND a bad attitude = riding the pine.

Looks to me like he is a legend in his own mind. He forgets that there are more than 21 others who decide who wins and loses. I would love to see this team win without him.

MitchumMan 11 years, 10 months ago

Anyone know who is the defensive player that is transfering after this year? I saw it on jayhawkslant.com but it didn't mention any names.

Oh...KU finally brings back their A game for this game and we win 24-13 against a very good defense!

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

CaliHawk33 says... Football is over, Bball has begun! God I love being a real ku Fan! lets go ku hoops!

At best, you are half a fan. Luke warm fans are worth spit.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

lv_jhwk says... Coach, when you say drastic measures, do you mean like pulling a three-year starting quarterback in the fourth quarter of a game where you're only down two scores?

Almost as bad as the quote of Todd esentially quitting - persoanlly choosing quick kicking on 3rd down. As bad as that is, communication is the responsibility of the leader. Initially, my thought is to blame the head coach, and rightly so (IMO), but it also begs the question, Is Todd a leader? Could Todd have gone to his HC to say he was frustrated instead of telling the newspaper?

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

Quigley said. "We are as good as Todd is at quarterback."

Unfortunately, the last few weeks have also shown that we are as bad as Todd is at QB.

I didn't get to watch last week's game, but my understanding of the fumbles was that they couldn't be blamed on the OL or anyone else this time. In the words of the great western philosopher, Kenny Rogers, "You got to know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to throw the ball away. Know when to slide." or something like that.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

truefan says... They are expected to lose every game for the rest of the season...

I still don't understand the expectations to lose the last 3 game. Texas - sure, tho we are as capable of beating them as KState the last couple years.

I don't understand the expectation wrt NU & MU.

NU is the same team that lost to ISU. They have a great D, but their O stinks. They beat MU b/c their D scored. Our D has improved significantly the last couple weeks, and it doesn't matter if it is worse than their D. It just needs to be better than their O. It is very plausible that our D could cause some TO's that lead to scores, and that could be all that is necessary.

What really gets me is the expectation of losing to MU. As much as we have imploded around Todd's TO's, most of their team is pulling a Brad Smith. We should be every expectation of beating the tiggers, and that would at least make us bowl eligible, regardless of whether we are chosen or not.

It is easy to be excited about the BB team as the season begins, but FB is NOT over yet.

To Angus and the rest of the team/fans - Don't miss out on what can be because of what could have been. Sort of like spilled milk.

Rock Chalk

vmwskywalk 11 years, 10 months ago

I haven't quit on the football team. I do feel like THEY have quit on me.