Originally published November 10, 2009 at 06:35p.m., updated November 10, 2009 at 10:12p.m.

Teahan to play Tuesday; teammates say Little, Releford likely red-shirting

Kansas guard Conner Teahan gets up for a pass over Pittsburg State guard Spencer Magana (2) but can't hang on during the first half Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior Conner Teahan will play in Tuesday's KU-Pittsburg State game, KU coach Bill Self said before the game on his Jayhawk Network pregame radio interview.

This means Teahan will not red-shirt this season.

Meanwhile, senior Mario Little and sophomore Travis Releford will not play Tuesday. Self said no decision would be made on their red-shirt status until sometime before Friday's regular-season opener against Hofstra.

"Much to our fans' surprise, I have had a hard time making my mind up," Self said with a laugh in his pregame interview. "Conner will play. We talked through it a lot. Travis and 'Rio ... I think I know what direction it will go. They want to give it a little more time. They'll definitely not play tonight. It's been a talked-out process with them. We're all on the same page.

"There's no advantage to announcing something today," Self added. He said somebody could always "tweak an ankle" before the start of the regular season.

Though it's not officially official, a few of the KU players after the game hinted that both Little and Releford were planning on taking redshirts this season.

Self said it wasn't 100-percent determined yet, but said, "That's probably the percentage play with both of them right now."

Non-freshman players cannot play in exhibition games or regular-season games if they wish to red-shirt.

Comments

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 2 months ago

Does anybody else think Mario's status might have something to do with how coach feels the recruiting is shaking out? I might be completely wet, but seems like the two things might be tied together somehow.

Kenny Nall 10 years, 2 months ago

I would much rather have Releford or Little over Teahan. Does anyone honestly think that Teahan will help us in a big game? Occaisionally Teahen can make some shots. Yet when was the last time he actually contributed to us winning? Reed and Morningstar have been much more consistent shooters. I know the positions that Little and Releford play are loaded but they possess much more talent than Connor. Self's offenses don't usually rely on great shooting and I'd rather throw another another slasher/rebounder out there instead of a shooter. Though neither have had the opportunities to grow like they're capable of. I don't really like to knock a player but this seems to be a no-brainer.

e93bigd 10 years, 2 months ago

I think Connor understands that he'll probably never start so he might as well play and contribute as much as he can to a possible championship team. Releford and Little might not start next year but they should get more minutes.

kerbyd 10 years, 2 months ago

People need to realize it makes no sense for Teahan to redshirt. He is not on scholie so he will have to pay for it no matter what. Has nothing to do with his ability.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

I personally dont think this has to do with recruiting but if it does it means we are not getting Barnes...I think the decision was left up to the players and I think Releford is banking on at least 2 seasons, and possibly 3, of starting at the 2 or 3 guard. I didnt think we would get Barnes anyways but I think that some people will claim that Self made them redshirt because we werent going to get Barnes...This mat be a tactic to try and lure in a guard like Selby or Knight because you could say we have a talented center (Withey), experience (Mario), and a talented wing (Releford). Not to mention the rest of the guys...But I still dont believe the mumbo jumbo that this is all about recruiting because it's not. Its about what is best for the players that are here now.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 2 months ago

Conner commented in notes during the last week that his redshirting was inversely related to Little and Releford RS. If they redshirt, he wouldn't. If they didn't he probably would.

I think Little's in particular has to do with graduating as well as playing time. My guess is that credits didn't transfer as neatly as if he had taken all his classes at KU, and that he needed a lighter, 5 yr load to survive academically and athleticly at KU.

IMO it is not about recruiting. It is about having a wealth of talent at the moment, and banking some for the future.

tahawk81 10 years, 2 months ago

I have to think the Releford and Little redshirting would mean Self does not think Barnes will be wearing the Crimson and Blue next year. Since Barnes will be announcing Friday before the game it makes it pretty convenient for Self to play his hand. If Barnes does come to KU, it would not surprise me for at least Little to play this year as he probably wouldn't see much time next year either.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I think it has to do both with the players on hand and recruiting. Self is playing his hand like a poker player, and wisely so.