Originally published November 2, 2009 at 03:25p.m., updated November 3, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Releford, Little to sit out exhibition game

Both players will sit out while considering red shirts

Missouri forward DeMarre Carroll, center, battles for a loose ball against Kansas defenders Travis Releford, left, Mario Little, back, and Sherron Collins on Feb. 9 at Mizzou Arena.

KU redshirts still undetermined

With KU men's basketball starting preseason play Tuesday, it is still unclear which players will be active on the roster. Several players are considering redshirt status for the upcoming season.

There was as much discussion Monday about who wouldn’t be playing in tonight’s Kansas University-Fort Hays State exhibition basketball game as who would be debuting for the Jayhawks.

KU coach Bill Self reported before practice that senior Mario Little and sophomore Travis Releford would be held out of the contest, to tip off at 7 p.m. in Allen Fieldhouse.

He’s considering red-shirting both players. By playing in the game, both would give up a possible opportunity to red-shirt the 2009-10 campaign.

“We haven’t made any decisions on red-shirting yet, but Mario and Travis are not going to play tomorrow,” Self said. “The reason is, if they play tomorrow, they forfeit the right to ever red-shirt. We’re going to give it another week and try to determine some things. Of course, the incoming guys, we can play them and still red-shirt them. It's kind of a screwy rule.”

The NCAA lets coaches play freshmen and first-year juco transfers in two exhibitions and still decide to red-shirt them prior to the start of the regular season. Returnees are not given that opportunity.

“We talk about separation (between players),” Self said. “I don’t think there’s been the separation we'd hoped for two weeks in. I think everybody pretty much looks about the same. We’d like to give it another week before we make any definite decisions.”

Self said no other non-freshmen were being considered as red-shirt possibilities. He said it was possible a freshman could red-shirt.

“A lot depends if we feel as a staff the guys we are playing can be part of our rotation. I think we’ve got a lot of good players,” Self said. “I think it’s a good problem to have. I also think this: We can’t keep all of our good players happy if everybody plays.

“But if you were to red-shirt a couple that are starters at Kansas ... then, that’s probably a pretty good tradeoff. Plus, it would probably ensure graduating by the time they left here. That’s what we are probably looking at. (Of the) newcomers and Mario and Travis ... if they could be in our top seven or eight going into the season. If they can, great. If they can’t, you have Brady (Morningstar) who will become eligible (after first semester) and you have Jeff Withey who will become eligible (after first semester). You have some situations that may not be the brightest from a numbers standpoint.

“I think the guys who are not going to play tomorrow ... both have a chance to be starters here. Maybe one of them will play this year. Maybe one of them won’t. Maybe they’ll both play. Maybe they’ll both red-shirt. I don’t know yet.”

In a recent 60-minute intrasquad scrimmage, 14 Jayhawks scored at least 18 points. The leading scorer had 26.

“It’s one of those things we haven’t separated ourselves from the pack yet. It also means you don’t guard anybody, too. Hopefully we’ll get better at that,” Self said.

Self said Tyrel Reed would play this season.

“I would if it’s best for the team,” Reed said of red-shirting, adding that he prefers playing. “I feel being at Kansas you have a chance (at national title) every year, but this year especially I definitely want to be out there.”

Bumps, bruises: Guard C.J. Henry, who will not play tonight, is listed day-to-day because of a sore right knee that has kept him from practicing lately. ... Reed, who missed two practices due to a sprained right ankle, is expected to play. ... Tyshawn Taylor, who suffered a dislocated left thumb in September, said he’s 100 percent healed. ... Morningstar has missed a week of practice time because of a sprained ankle.

Trash talking: KU’s practices have been ultra-competitive. “There’s some trash talking going on, which is fun,” guard Sherron Collins said, identifying Releford as the squad’s top trash talker.

“Travis is playing well. He’s talking. He lets you know when he hits shots in your face, gets a deflection. As soon as he starts talking, it gets everybody talking. It’s something good for the team. It makes it more competitive,” Collins said.

Practices have been so competitive Collins said he has no clue who will play tonight. “We’ve got so many people I don’t know what’s what,” he said.

Who’s starting?: Self said the starting lineup would be a game-day decision. Which rookie is ready to shine? “I think if you put any of them in the starting lineup, I think they’ll be ready,” Collins said.

Of Xavier Henry, Collins said: “I think he’s a natural scorer. I tried to guard him a few times, and I caught myself under the rim.”

Of Thomas Robinson, Cole Aldrich said: “He’s good. He’s still running around like a chicken with his head cut off in practice, through plays and all that. The greatest thing is he’s got a great attitude.”

Comments

rockbrooklynchalk 10 years, 2 months ago

Interesting. My guess is that Self will redshirt either Releford or Little but not both.

I have a stronger preference for redshirting Releford. I'm not sure what the program or Mario Little gains by redshirting. Mario is already old for a senior, so I don't see his game developing further unless he's really hurt. Plus if he plays that frees up a third guaranteed scholarship to give to an incoming freshman or transfer next year. Releford, on the other hand, has a lot of potential and could gain quite a bit by sitting out a year to work on his strength, perimeter shooting and defense.

i'm kind of intrigued as to why Reed isn't being considered for a redshirt. Elijah Johnson would be 50/50 for me. Even if he's raw his athleticism at the 1-2 spot is off the charts. That could really help down the line.

Brian Skelly 10 years, 2 months ago

Im with you brooklyn...

... I see no benefit to Little red shirting at all (except from KU's vantage point). Releford makes more sense on both ends, but who knows.

Reed and Johnson would be interesting picks,  but I cant see Johnson doing it.    This guy was one of the top PGs in the country.

I guess we'll know at the end of the week.

Jason Roberts 10 years, 2 months ago

Agreed - Releford seems to be the more logical choice for a redshirt. Honestly, I think the other redshirt might be given to Elijah Johnson given KU's depth at PG (Collins, Taylor, CJ Henry).

Jayhawk444 10 years, 2 months ago

I don't get why they lose the ability to redshirt by playing in an exhibition game? Isn't an exhibition game just a practice with outside players? i.e. it doesn't count towards anything - so why would it impact redshirt elegibility? Anybody know the reasoning behind this "screwey rule"?

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

Jayhawk444

It's the "NCAA".....'nuff said!!

Hindsight is 20/20 but if Mario had red-shirted last year, the benefits would have been obvious. His choices are simple if HCBS gives him one...play this year and get lost on the bench, play next year at 100% health and step into the team leadership role as a true senior player, with Brady and Tyrell.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

I think that Little should be the one to red shirt...I know its a tough decision but to be honest Releford has looked great this preseason and I am kinda shocked that he would be a candidate for a red shirt but then again you look at the depth chart IMO and it doesnt really look like Releford will be in the rotation...Little is not really a great reserve and he too is not really in a rotation but both will have an impact next year...I think Self could red shirt both and it would be nice to have both next season.

Another red shirt candidate is EJ but since Brady got in trouble it doesnt really look like EJ will because we will need some depth in the backcourt...I tell you what is great to hear is that 14 guys had 18 points or more in a 60 minute scrimmage. Maybe doesnt say much about our defense but Self will get that figured out...Self is in a better position than he was in last year because this year he has a ton of talent to choose from and last year he did not.

Dillon Davis 10 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm, multiple players that scored 18 pts or more. No one has really separated themselves from the rest. Who does this sound like? The 08' Championship Team perhaps? We always said that year that the best guy is the one who's open. That was a good problem to have and it seems as though we might have a similar situation this year so this is good. Of course, Cole and Sherron are above the rest but the rest sound like they're all pretty well matched so I imagine they have some good, competitive practices with all that talent level.

KU1992 10 years, 2 months ago

Brady and EJ don't play the same position.

Jangaroo 10 years, 2 months ago

EJ has a chance to be a starter, I'm not sure we can say the same for Reed. Right now I would redshirt EJ and Releford because both players are young and have a great chance of starting later on. Little and Reed are older and will probably never start. They both have a good amount of experience and will be valuable coming off the bench. Also, Little will graduate and X will go pro opening up space for Harrison Barnes.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

I never said that Brady and EJ play the same position I said we need EJ for depth in the backcourt...And EJ will not start this season barring injuries...I think the starting lineup will look something like

1 sherron 2 tyshawn 3 Marcus/Xavier 4 Marcus/Trob 5 Cole

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

Sutton... Im with you on redding Little... It appears he should have done it last year, and he's definitely not getting the minutes this year..... Im pretty sure releford should also.....

that would leave

1. knight / EJ / Reed
  2. Tyshawn/ CJ / Woolridge
  3. HUGE EFF"ING WHOLE WITHOUT RELEFORD OR LITTLE
  4. Marcus/Markieff / TRob
  5. Withey

d_prowess 10 years, 2 months ago

WaywardJay, don't forget that Tyshawn is a projected mid-first round NBA pick for next year. To early to say if he lives up to that projection, but that could take him off your next year depth chart.

Sherronimo 10 years, 2 months ago

Have felt all offseason Releford should redshirt. Little is too late on that because of age. I know Releford has looked much improved, and that's great, but we have X for one year, maybe maybe 2. Releford a little small for the 3, but the athleticism is huge. Probably would have a chance to start next year and hold it down for 3 yrs.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Coach Self!!!!!

I don't pray much, because I feel the deity pretty much has to work overtime in this world, but when there is a situation that calls out for it, I will get down on my knees with the best of them.

I have worn out the knees of two pairs of pants the last month praying for Mario Little to get a red shirt.

At least Coach is saying there's a chance now.

Regarding Releford, I wish he could play this year for his sake, but what is probably best for him is to red shirt. Releford is going to be a heck of a player sooner or later.

KU coming in with Releford and Little fully seasoned and muscled up and skilled up next year will create an awesome advantage for KU next year, regardless of who KU recruits.

Mario...get your degreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Travis...get ready to be center stage next year.

KUbsee69 10 years, 2 months ago

Hasn't HCBS said before that he won't "force" anyone to red-shirt? Isn't it therefore, the player's call?

HCBS said after Late Night that he though Releford would see a lot of time this year. Now he's a red-shirt candidate. Mixed signals?

I really liked what I saw from Releford during the Late Night scrimmage. I hope nobody gets frustrated and decides to transfer to get PT.

Derek Conway 10 years, 2 months ago

I am a huge Releford fan, please don't get me wrong. But how can everyone say that he is having such a good pre-season when all they have seen of him was one scrimmage with no defense?

I agree, he will be great for us in the future, but if anyone has any evidence of him dominating besides at Late Night, please inform me.

Annette Lee 10 years, 2 months ago

my guess is that Barns might not be that solid so with these two it won't matter...

dmc8142,

The reason why Im confident that Releford is having a great preseason is becuase 1. Self has said good things about Releford 2. in that scrimmage we saw Releford do things that he couldnt do last year like shoot the ball...And here is where Releford is helpful...If we need to put Marcus at the 4 because of foul trouble or whatever we will need Releford to spell Xavier when he gets tired and I like Releford over Little at the 3...Releford will also help this team in an up and down game because thats the type game that Releford excels in.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 2 months ago

Reed may be our only 3-pt threat, you can't redshirt him. CJ should redshirt if he can, he's already on the 10 year plan.

rockchalk10jk 10 years, 2 months ago

This is a little off topic but I live in Indiana and I was wondering if anyone knew a way I could see this game online?

number1fanfromillinois 10 years, 2 months ago

rockchalk10jk-i'm in the same boat living in Illinois...anyone have any suggestions?

Strikewso,

You're correct in that Reed will not redshirt but incorrect in saying that Reed is our only 3 point threat...Marcus is emerging as a 3 point guy and even Markieff. Not to mention we have Sherron Collins and Xavier Henry. Releford is shooting it better and we get Brady back after the first semester.

My suggestion in trying to watch the game tomorrow night would be to search on Google and see if someone somehow gets it up and running online.

Steve Brown 10 years, 2 months ago

not promising yet couple years ago I subscribed to CBS all access for one annual fee and got all the games on laptop as I was traveling and not always in the midwest, it worked great, unknown to me if it is still avaialble or even as nice as it was anyone else familar w. it? sorry for poor .spell chech

JOEKU 10 years, 2 months ago

Two observations: Self must must be even more convinced Marcus's ability to play the 3

It looks like the outlook of us grabbing a 2010 wing is pretty bleek (Barnes esp.) Well plan B would be to redshirt 1 or both of these guys and turn them into a stud next year.

Still, I don't see Self redshirting both of these guys. It would make more sense to hedge the risk of injury by keeping a capable 3 on the roster. That being said, you have to assume that at least one of these guys redshirts, and unfortunately it will be Relford. He IS the future starter of the two, and has a shot to be a pivotal player for us next year. On the other hand, Mario is not the future starter Self was eluding to, and will most likely be kept on the roster to provide experience and insurance. Don't get me wrong, Releford IS the better player between the two, and personally I would love to see him play.

TenaciousD 10 years, 2 months ago

It seems like with Tyrel not considering a redshirt, he may be on the coaching path.

Releford and Little, on the other hand, are making the decision based on their playing careers. If that's the case, Little definitely needs to redshirt and stay another year in the system. Releford has a tougher decision since he might crack the rotation this year - especially when we need some offense. It's gotta be tough for Releford, since he probably feels that he can beat out Xavier. But Xavier, being the blue-chipper that he is, might get the nod if they are neck and neck.

I don't see how Releford can go wrong if he redshirts. HCBS will probably get him into the League. Releford coming back next year after a redshirt will be better than any hyped up freshman that would be out there.

If they both redshirted, it seems like Sherron, X, Brady and Marcus could provide plenty of points from the outside. Hopefully X is a slasher like Releford so he can create if Releford decides to sit.

Either way this year is gonna be awesome !!!!!

tstanlick1909 10 years, 2 months ago

If we were to only lose Sherron and Cole and possibly X, and bring in Knight/Selby and Lamb/Barnes. I would be thinking that we could nearly hype up next years squad as much as we have this season. Morris twins as juniors, along with Tyshawn and TRob, EJ, Releford, maybe Little, Withey and the Frosh.......whew

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

Withey has already redshirted and he wouldnt anyways because we will need him to back up Cole.

Joe Baker 10 years, 2 months ago

I think this statement says more about our recruiting prospects. I don't think it means anything good or bad. It just means Self and Co are planning on what ifs.

This is why HCBS gets the big $$$$$$$.

BTW- Barnes is suppose to announce his decision sometime this week! He mentioned "the first week of November."

truehawk,

I dont know when it will be announced but he is going to Duke...KU has no chance at him at this point because there is no guarantee that X will leave after this season.

Steve Brown 10 years, 2 months ago

It's engaging to study, analyze, forecast future stars with the potential recruits. Truth is the best predictor of next season is the growth of current players. It's always chutes and ladders, some players transfer out, some don't pan out, some getter better and better with hard work and staying. Recall Russ Rob wanting to transfer after his 1st year, remember D. Jackson growth to his senior year. We seem to always have diamonds in the rough already on the bench. Pleasure is to watch them blossum.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 2 months ago

Self is waiting on his decision to see which recruits he gets. He knows something we dont. I think next years season will be decided in the next week. What a problem, having too much talent. Releford could be a great player and possibly play in the league if he lets self develop him, tame him down, hone his skills. He's a great slasher. Make a great backup for X this year though. Tough decision..... Although this years team looks like they could make a hell of a run and you'd like to have all the backup you need.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

Withey definitely redshirted thats why we get him for three and a half years...

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

drgnslayer, Withey is listed as a redshirt freshman on the official roster. I believe he could petition for an additional medical redshirt year (some guys actually get 6 years) if he met the NCAA criteria. I don't believe his situation would qualify him for the exception though.

Personally, I am disappointed that Little did not redshirt last year. I thought it was a waste when he came out then.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 2 months ago

Self wants to red-shirt three players, but I only see him getting 2 of them. I think that EJ will ultimately end up taking a red-shirt and likely be a starter as a red-shirt freshman. I also think that one or the other of Releford and Little will red-shirt. It's a coin toss. Releford could be a starter here in his Junior or Senior season. I could see Little starting next year if X goes pro and we don't get another pro-ready freshman recruit to play the wing forward position.

If both Releford and Little were to red-shirt that would mean that Brady would most likely earn playing time at both the #2 and #3 positions. He would play the #3 if coach wants to go small and put 4 to 5 perimeter shooters on the court.

dylans 10 years, 2 months ago

Imagine how big we could go: 5 Cole 4 Withey 3 Marcus 2 Xavier 1 Collins Wow

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 2 months ago

I believe that Withey has to sit out for a transfer. He went to Arizona for a semester and then transfered to KU. By rule he has to sit out for 1 year (end of this semester). He never even played at Arizona, because of there coaching problems. I don't know if that still will cost him a year or semester, but he is sitting out because of a transfer not a red-shirt.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 2 months ago

Tonights Starting lineup

Aldrich
Robinson
Morris
Henry
Collins

Off the Bench

Mk Morris Taylor Johnson Reed

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

No one is saying that he is sitting out because of a redshirt...Withey took a redshirt at Arizona and then transferred here...Therefore he is eligible to play this winter.

For those of you who are not insiders at ESPN here is a section of the rumors for college basketball:

Releford, Little to redshirt? 9:42AM ET Kansas Jayhawks Top Email

Kansas coach Bill Self has eight guard players at his disposal for 2010. While the depth is refreshing for a coach trying to still determine lineups, it is disheartening because at least two of those players -- likely Mario Little and Travis Releford -- will have to redshirt.

At least that's what Brady McCullough of The Kansas City Star is reporting. Although Little and Releford have played well in practice, Self has said it might help the team to redshirt both guards. "...If you redshirt a couple that are [future] starters at Kansas, it's probably a pretty good tradeoff," said Self.

Because he wants to play, Releford has been pushing himself to the limit in practice. According to senior Sherron Collins, Releford has been talking the most in practice: "He's letting you know when he's hitting shots, letting you know when he gets a deflection. Travis is the biggest talker we've got right now."

4jhawks4ku,

That lineup is a possibility but Im not so sure that Self will take Taylor out of the starting spot at the 2...I think that lineup will happen at some points this season but Im not sure who will start tonight and frankly it doesnt even really matter who starts tonight. I expect a lot of rotation in the lineups. Im not sure Self wants to give away what lineup will start once the actual season starts...We will have more of an idea what the rotations will look like and who will start next week when Self decides who will redshirt.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 2 months ago

Sutton, Agreed, I dont think he'll start the freshman Robinson over Taylor. Revised:

Aldrich Morris Henry Taylor Collins

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

As long as the Morris is Marcus lol...Here is a portion of a recent article written by Doug Gottlieb:

1. If Kentucky, Texas and Kansas are not in the Final Four, it will be a surprise. Barring injury, those three teams have significantly more talent than the rest of the field. Kentucky lacks shooting, Texas has only gotten there once under Rick Barnes and KU might have too many guys, but the raw talent combined with quality coaching and experience should leave those three teams above all the others by the time March comes along.

I was just about to say that UK lacks great shooters...May be beneficial to stop the drive by playing zone and forcing them to shoot the ball...Man UK will miss Meeks more than I thought...And my other thought is that KUs problem is that they have too many guys lol what a great problem to have if youre a coach.

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 2 months ago

sutton, If you read everyone's comments you can see that there is confusion if it is a redshirt or transfer. Maybe you are not, but others are. Also, I have never read anything that said he redshirted at UA, but that is not to say he didn't. I remember something about him quitting the team (before the season started) because of the coaching problems. If anyone has an article that shows something it would be appriciated.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

Based on the quality depth of the underclassmen plus the potential recruits plus Mario and Travis coming back as redshirts, won't KU be in the same boat next year...too many players for HCBS's 9-10 man rotation?

Most likely back: MC Morris, MK Morris, Reed, Johnson, Robinson {I hope!!], Morningstar, Withey,

Probably coming back: CJ

Redshirts coming back: Little, Releford

Recruits: Woolridge, Knight/Selby, Barnes

Here we go again...13 position players for a 10 man rotation with all 12 schollies dished out.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

The main question is..will Mario be more valuable as a player this year and have his schollie available next year or can HCBS float his schollie this year as a red shirt to get a 100% healthy leader next year.

What everyone must remember is that, if CJ is as good as advertised, that's like a free scholarship no one else in Div One has. It would truly be to KU's advantage if CJ would stay a couple of seasons.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

Oh I think CJ will be here at least this year and next year and it is possible for Xavier to return next season as well...I think it would be beneficial to redshirt Little this season based on that he may not be 100% healthy...Originally I wanted Releford to redshirt but based on what I have seen and heard I want Releford on the team because he could help this team. If Xavier is not playing well tou just put Releford in his place...I think Releford is a better player than Little even though Little plays more positions.

kuniraq 10 years, 2 months ago

Anyone know where I can watch the game online?

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

Even if we could redshirt Withey it wouldnt be that beneficial...We will definitely need Withey this season because some games Aldrich doesnt show up or he gets into foul trouble and it would be nice to have another 7 footer ti back him up...So as long as he is healthy we need him for sure.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

Well the injury is not that big of deal according to Self...It's a bit concerning that he was injured when in the process of putting on more weight but he injured it going after a loose ball...I definitely expect him to be ready to go by big 12 time.

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 2 months ago

drgnslayr, I believe that the 5 years rule starts at a certain age (maybe 23). That is why CJ has no benefit in redshirting since he will lose a year no matter what. I am completely sure on the whole Withey thing either, but we atleast get him for 3 1/2 year no matter what and more if he redshirts.

Joel Hood 10 years, 2 months ago

JayhawkCasey - I think I remember reading that the 5-year clock starts at 21 and that CJ only has 3 total years of eligibility to begin with because of his age.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 2 months ago

At least a few people are getting hung up on terminology. The rule is that you have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. There are time limits due to age (the clock starts ticking at 23? regardless - CJ) and you can petition for an extra year for certain medical situations (Mario v.'09).

Regardless of how you want to describe it, Withey has only 4 yrs of eligibilty left b/c he enrolled at AU last August.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 2 months ago

There seems to be a collective whiff on Coach's comment about graduation. ("Plus, it would probably ensure graduating by the time they left here.")

IMO, that has JUCO prep'd Little written all over it, and is reassuring to see that Coach is thinking about more than just the team; has the players long term good fortune in mind also. Most players, even at KU, will not go pro, and will need a regular job.

Also, for further clarification of the above post, Withey is not currently eligible he enrolled at AU last August and has to sit out a year, so he will only 3.5 yrs of the 5 years of eligibilty left by the time he is able to play for KU.

Brak 10 years, 2 months ago

Has anybody actually heard CJ say he would come back next year even if X is done after this year? I've actually heard that he is only here to play with his brother and I'm sure he has no interest in getting a college degree so I would say there is a good chance he doesn't come back next year w/o X. Also lets no forget Releford is a sophomore so we could potentially still have him for 2 more years and I think he would benefit greaty getting to play this year on a talented team that will probably go all the way even if its not alot, so he'll be able to come in next year and be more of a leader. Not to mention I don't think he is going to be willing to redshirt if you read the article he is the main person talking trash in practices.

Brak,

CJ is going to academically graduate this year...The Yankees have been paying for his school for a while now even though he does not play for them anymore...Academically I believe he is a senior...And I do think he will be back next season because like he has said before he wants to play in the NBA but he will not be there after this season which is why I think there is still a chance of X returning.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

suttonku

In a perfect Crimson and Blue World, wouldn't it be awesome if Condor decided to stay all four years and X comes back for another round??!! With all the guys here or potentially coming, Kansas could be the Preseason Number One Pick again in 2010-2011!!!

I am so happy those idiots in Columbia, MO. chose Hairdo Boy over HCBS, although, darn it, Mike Anderson is becoming a threat!!!

Brett Glover 10 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone have a link for it? If so share the wealth please.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Man this was the best story in months with potential redshirts and offensive production in a scrimmage. I would redshirt Little. I believe he can be a majoy talent and he has never had a chance to show it. Barring injury he will see minimal playing time this season. Last season he took one for the team when he should have medically redshirted. I would love to see Little completely healthy with another year of practice.

Releford - tough one mainly because of his desire to play. It would be an emotional struggle for him the entire season watching as this team kicks some serious butt.

Hopefully there is some serious team building going on.

suttonku 10 years, 2 months ago

This is really difficult because from what I have heard Releford is playing well and Little is playing well. Tyrel Reed said that Little was a standout player this preseason and Collins has been marveling at Releford so Im kind of torn on who to redshirt but Im going to say that I would redshirt Little.