Sunday, November 1, 2009

Game balls & Gassers

Candidates for Game balls

• DE Maxwell Onyegbule constantly pressured the Tech quarterbacks and was credited with a sack and fumble recovery on his way to a touchdown.

• DE Jake Laptad forced a fumble that led to a touchdown and had six tackles, two for losses.

Candidates for Gassers

• Red-shirt freshman LT Tanner Hawkinson had a rough time trying to protect Todd Reesing’s blind side.

• Third-year sophomore RT Jeff Spikes struggled again.

• Freshman CB D.J. Beshears again was flagged for pass interference, giving him three in two weeks.

Comments

rastameta 10 years, 3 months ago

HawkfromHays, completely agree with you.

Also, I thought Beshears was flagged for holding, not interference. Sometimes holding is a good play, if it saves a TD.

actorman 10 years, 3 months ago

How about Mangino? Is there a person on the planet who can explain why KU kicked it out of the end zone when they had all the momentum, the lead and were kicking off from the TT 40-yard-line?!?!?! If MM thought the onside kick was too risky, he could have at least used a squib kick to try to pin them back more. Why on earth would you just blast it out of the end zone??? Sheer idiocy.

On the other side, I think Justin Thornton should be considered for a game ball. It seemed like he made a number of good plays.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 3 months ago

I agree that Reesing, Meier, Warriner, and Mangino need to be added to the gassers list. And maybe even Briscoe for dropping another wide open pass.

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

From the Department of Unimportant Matters.

How about a gasser for those uniforms. They are not Oregon bad or as hideous as those glow-in-the-dark jerseys the Seattle Seahawks wore a few weeks ago but it puts us on the wait list. Before this game, KU’s uniforms were amongst the classiest and best looking in the country. I hope Nike paid for those because that was a total waste of money. Don’t be surprised if we are on Blackwell’s list next year. Just my opinion.

jkanev 10 years, 3 months ago

More from the Department of Unimportant Matters:

KU is no longer sponsered by Nike; Adidas picked them up 3 or 4 years ago.

Brett Gaul 10 years, 3 months ago

Blue pants with a red stripe. How are those not "classy?" They beat the hell out of the those ugly ass gray pants we wear at home.

bennettcl 10 years, 3 months ago

jhokfan.....we are sponsored by Adidas...not Nike.

jhokfan 10 years, 3 months ago

Whatever. You didn't point out that Blackwell died a couple years ago either.

bennettcl 10 years, 3 months ago

I just looked up what Blackwell's list and I have never heard of it before. I get your reference now though. I for one could care less what uniforms we wear. I don't know if there is something in the Adidas contract that we have to wear certain uniforms so many times a year or what. I heard that in basketball we were required to wear the red uniforms like 2 to 3 times a year to assist with the sales of the red jerseys. I'm sure football has the same contract with their red jerseys. I don't know about the pants though.

brownhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I actually really liked the touch up they put on them. There was really no crimson on the white jerseys before, or the blue ones for that matter. I like the crimson outline around the numbers and names of the players and thought the pants were classy.