Friday, May 29, 2009

KU baseball falls to Coastal Carolina, 11-3

Chanticleers thump KU in regional

Coastal Carolina’s Nick McCully pitches against Kansas University in the sixth inning. The Chanticleers beat KU, 11-3, Friday in an NCAA regional in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Kansas University’s baseball team is off to a shaky start in the NCAA Tournament.

Coastal Carolina jumped on KU starting pitcher T.J. Walz for three runs in the first inning and, thanks in part to the strong pitching of Nick McCully, never looked back in an 11-3 victory over the Jayhawks on Friday afternoon at Boshamer Stadium.

KU (37-23) which has dropped four straight games and six of seven, will meet Dartmouth (27-17), a 5-2 first-round loser to host North Carolina at noon today.

UNC (43-16) will meet Coastal Carolina (48-14) at 4 p.m.

“They played like they were a Top-20 club today in I think every phase of the game,” KU coach Ritch Price said of the Chanticleers, ranked 16th by ESPN/USA Today and 20th in the Collegiate Baseball poll. “They were very, very aggressive early in the count and physical with the bat. Their starting pitcher obviously was special.”

Coastal Carolina’s McCully (8-1) allowed four hits in 71⁄3 innings. He struck out four and allowed all three runs.

Walz (8-3) allowed six runs in 22⁄3 innings.

“They were hunting the fastball really well. I wasn’t hitting my spots very well, and they made me pay for my mistakes,” said Walz, a sophomore from Omaha. “I’ve given up my fair share of home runs this year. I just try and bounce back. I have a little more determination afterwards — after giving up a shot like that.”

He was referring to a three-run, first-inning shot off the bat of David Anderson. Anderson's 20th homer of the season followed a leadoff single by Rico Noel and a hit batsman.

“I don’t think it was nerves at all,” Price said of his pitcher’s troubles. “I think one of the great things about playing in the Big 12 or playing in the SEC or the ACC is you’re prepared to play in this environment, and he’s been really good for us.

“He had a bad outing in the Big 12 tournament where he didn’t have a very good breaking ball, and he was behind in the count, and it continued today. I mean, I’ve never seen him drop his elbow like he was doing on his breaking ball today.

“Normally, he has a plus breaking ball, but I think obviously that’s a long season and a grind, and pitching close to 100 innings and being 155 pounds (and 6-foot tall). Obviously we have to get him in the weight room and try to get him stronger for next year.”

Coastal Carolina’s 15-hit attack off six KU pitchers spoiled the day of KU shortstop David Narodowski, who hit a pair of solo home runs and had three hits.

“Everybody dreams of hitting home runs in the NCAA Tournament.You get here and you just want to do whatever you can to help your team win and get ahead,” said Narodowski, a junior from Vancouver.

He answered the Chanticleers’ solo run in the second by blasting his first home run of the day, a solo shot to center field. In the fifth inning, the Kansas shortstop struck again with a line drive down the line in left field to bring the Jayhawks within 6-2.

Coastal Carolina, which scored a run in the bottom of the fifth, put the game away in the sixth. Daniel Bowman hit a two-run homer to right field and Taylor Motter added an RBI single.

KU sophomore Tony Thompson extended his hitting streak to 17 games with a ground ball that hit the foot of baserunner Brian Heere. Thompson’s streak is his third of the season of at least 14 games.

Adam Rice had three hits and drove in three runs for Coastal Carolina, a Big South Conference championship team that has won four straight and 15 of 16.

“I thought it was a great display of Coastal baseball on our kids’ part,” coach Gary Gilmore said. “They had great focus today the way they started out the game swinging the bat, taking that focus they had when they showed up at the ballpark.

“David’s big home run early set the tone for the day offensively for us. He (McCully) was outstanding pretty much all day. And what times he did get into a little bit of a jam, he was able to luck out and then he got a couple of balls for him. But for the most part he was in control pretty much all day long.”

In order to make it to a super-regional, Kansas must win four games in a row.

Such a feat isn’t without precedence at KU. In 1993, the Jayhawks lost their regional opener to Fresno State, then came back to beat Tennessee, Rutgers, Clemson and Fresno State to advance to the College World Series.

Comments

EnviroHawk7 10 years, 8 months ago

I really don't understand how they would put UNC in the Chapel Hill Region, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

But yea, poor hawks, they had a good season.

Basketball NCAA Tourney + Baseball NCAA Tourney
+ BCS Bowl Game = Good Program.

rgreene 10 years, 8 months ago

Because in baseball, the 16 top seeds host.

RockChalkJayBlog 10 years, 8 months ago

Educate yourself on the NCAA baseball tournament, EnviroHawk....

okjhok 10 years, 8 months ago

The season is not over, although it will take at least 3 wins in the next two days to move on.

Nick Cole 10 years, 8 months ago

Way to pick a time to have your worst losing streak of the season. Since the Royals have fallen off the map (big surprise), I was hoping the Hawks would finish off their solid season on a strong note. Guess not. Hopefully they can pull it off but it's looking a bit grim.

KUballer 10 years, 8 months ago

KU didn't get to a BCS bowl game EnviroHawk... have you been paying any attention?

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 8 months ago

EnviroHawk7 needs to stop smokin' whatever it is he's smokin'!!!

FlaHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

This team has not and will not kick any ones ass other than their own in the post season. They are showing that they are a season away.

hoe pitching is getting clobbered due to lack of experience. Coach Price needs to remove the NDSU, NDU, Western Illinois,,Chicago State, Tabor, Bethany, Baker and Mo Valley (Div II NAIA!) from last two years schedule. They kill RPI and provide no value to pitching corp!

plustownie 10 years, 8 months ago

Ok FlaHawk but if you don’t notice those are teams they play midweek games and because they can only miss a certain number days of school they are not always able to get teams to come in. And pitching in the big 12 is enough value to a pitching corp throughout the season. Maybe you and EnviroHawk7 should get together because it seems that the two of you have no idea what you are talking about. Why not be proud of the year they have put together cause if you remember, but i bet you had no idea, KU was predicted to finish 10 in the big 12 at the beginning of the year and the season is not over yet. If you follow baseball you might remember a team last year by the name of Fresno State; they rallied on more than one occasion after a loss to advance. That’s the great thing about baseball anyone can beat anyone on any day if you have ever played the sport before you might know that!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 8 months ago

The choral crew needs to go find a closet, because it ain't time to sing yet.

Hopefully, we can win at least one more game, and get a bit of positive vibe going into the offseason. Like the recent article said, this is a young team, that hasn't had recent post-season experience so it's all good.

Get hungry 'Hawks. Rock Chalk.

John Randall 10 years, 8 months ago

""EnviroHawk7 needs to stop smokin' whatever it is he's smokin'!!!""

I'm always advising youngsters to 'Preview Before Post.'
This seems like time for 'Post before Toke.'

Bleufer 10 years, 8 months ago

Anyone else realize there is another Kansas ball team playing in NC? Emporia State is playing for the DII championship. I know it's not ESUsports.com, but I have to give props to my other alma mater. Go 'Hawks and Go Hornets! Wish I was in NC.

JC 10 years, 8 months ago

KU had the 35th rated strength of schedule this year out of 300 teams play D-I baseball. The weak mid week games hurt the team's RPI and SOS but it is hard for KU to get teams to travel to Lawrence for mid-week games.

Bleufer 10 years, 8 months ago

Well drats. ESU lost (2-1 to Lynn) but KU got the W (16-0).

JC, I had a talk with the Univ of Illinois folks about a KU-UI baseball game (figured it won't happen in hoops or football unless it is the post-season), and they told me that a match up between the two schools couldn't take place because of travel restrictions (schools too far). I now wonder if that was a smoke screen because KU played Chicago St during an mid-week series. But if their statement was true, how many quality teams are close to Lawrence? WSU, Creighton, a few directional schools in Missouri, Iowa(?), and Tulsa.

JC 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi Bleufer,

There is absolutely no travel restriction that would prevent Illinios from coming to Lawrence to play baseball. Penn State and Northwestern have both played in Lawrence over the last few years, and KU traveled to Iowa this year.

I understand Illinois not wanting to come to Lawrence due to travel costs (most, if not all, of which I expect KU would front) and player's time away from campus. But it is their choice not to do so. KU travels all over the nation every year. I'd like to see more teams come to Lawrence for a change. Lord knows Arkansas, Stanford, Clemson, Arizona State, etc owe KU some visits.