Friday, May 22, 2009

Quintrell Thomas will transfer to UNLV

It's official: former Kansas forward Quintrell Thomas now has a new home.

Former Kansas men’s basketball player Quintrell Thomas has decided to transfer to UNLV.

Thomas, a 6-foot-7, 240-pound forward out of Newark, N.J., chose the Rebels on Friday over St. Joseph’s and Siena.

“I just thought about how good we would be once I started playing,” Thomas told The Las Vegas Sun. “It’s one of the primary entertainment places in the country. We start winning, we could turn Vegas upside down.”

Thomas averaged 1.5 points and 2.0 rebounds in 26 games for the Jayhawks last season. He played just 5.4 minutes per game.

On April 9, Thomas announced his intentions to transfer away from KU, saying he’d like to give himself the opportunity to receive more playing time. KU guard Tyrone Appleton also announced he was planning to transfer on the same day.

Thomas also considered UNLV when he was in high school.

“My mother loves the situation,” Thomas told The Las Vegas Sun. “I liked the coaching staff before I made my decision to go to Kansas. It was between them and Kansas at first.”

UNLV finished 21-11 last season and received an NIT bid.

Because of transfer rules, Thomas will not be eligible to play for the Rebels until the 2010-11 season.

Comments

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

Unibrow gets some muscle.

Hartman's boy and Paul and Eddie's boy give each other a hand.

Hank grins.

Forrest rolls his eyes and says, "The things I gotta put up with to keep this program at the top."

speedy 10 years, 8 months ago

great choice. Q. now i,ll come watch when i,m up in vegas. stay away from tark the shark and his crowd.
good luck to you.

panalytic 10 years, 8 months ago

The Rebels caught a break.

Good luck Quintrell!!

John Brown 10 years, 8 months ago

I remember when we played them in the NCAA. UNLV plays scrapy defense. I think the year at Lawrence will really play well for Quintrell. It will be like red shirting a year but Q will be damn good in 2011.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

I concur... Almost hate to see him go..... but.... Proud of you Q..... Keep alive the tradition... bring'em hell.... and when you can.... Love your brothers and sisters in Lawrence.

ObiWan 10 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations, Q. Somtimes terrific kids come to KU, and the timing just isn't right. It doesn't mean that you're not capable of great things. Use the year off to sharpen your game, physically and mentally. I hope to look at box scores and highlights in a couple years and say "Man, we should have never let him go!" Best of luck to you!

quill_46 10 years, 8 months ago

Q,stay away from the slot machines they are a killer.

Greg Lux 10 years, 8 months ago

Best wishes Q .. Watch out for the Lido ..:P

dukehester 10 years, 8 months ago

Good luck Q - use your 'redshirt' well to get all the classes caught up and then give 'em hell on the court! great opportunity for you to be one of their leaders. Thanks for all you gave us at Kansas.

SoCalAlum 10 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations, Q - we wish you the best!. The UNLV athletics site hasn't posted about him yet but their non-con schedule is set. In 09-10 season, Q gets a trip to Hawaii! In non-con, UNLV plays: K-State, Washburn, Pittsburgh State, Arizona...sounds like KU last season...also they'll play Louisville. One of UNLV forwards was just granted a release so PT should be there after a year hitting the weights and books.

mlubyRN 10 years, 8 months ago

Im moving to Vegas in 4 days, I'll definitly keep tabs on Q's progress.

FriendsOfTheHeartland 10 years, 8 months ago

Jayhawk Nation will miss you very much, Q. We will be watching your career and will continue to cheer you on always. But of course, we want KU men's b-ball team to beat UNLV men when we do play your new team ! Much success in your future.