Sunday, May 17, 2009

Thomas to visit Iona

Former Kansas University basketball power forward Quintrell Thomas will make a recruiting visit to Iona College on Monday.

Thomas, who decided to leave KU after his freshman season, is also considering Siena, St. Joe’s and UNLV. Thomas’ AAU coach, Derrick Bobbitt, told Zagsblog.net that Thomas won’t choose a school until after Memorial Day.

Thomas, 6-foot-8 out of St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J., averaged 1.5 points and 2.0 boards in 26 games this past season. The New York Daily News reports that Iona has a connection with St. Pat’s.

Assistant coach Shaheen Holloway starred for the Celtics during his high school career before moving on to Seton Hall. Iona freshman guard Jermel Jenkins also hails from St. Pat’s.

Iona, which is located in New Rochelle, N.Y., has no available scholarships, the Daily News reports.

Comments

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

Is Quintrell in some kind of contest with JWall and Lance to see who can be the last one to commit? Chutzpah!

SoCalAlum 10 years, 8 months ago

If memory serves me correctly, we were all delighted when he signed at KU last year. All I can do is thank him for his commitment and good citizenry over the past season and hope that he finds a program where he'll get the PT to go along with a great education. I remember last year pre-season, he good-naturedly was trying to deflect the comparisons to Darnell Jackson. Tough gig.

Given his St. Pat's connection, not surprising that three of the four schools mentioned are smallish Catholic colleges...Siena has been good recently, St. Joe's is generally ok, Iona...well, Iona has former NBA player Jeff Ruland as coach. Surprisingly though that St. John's didn't land him.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

A poster on zagsblog said the other day that he was "definitely" going to UNLV. I have no idea where his (or her) information came from or how reliable it is, but that's one rumor out there. My guess is he would like to go to UNLV but his connections are drawing him to other places. Of course, I base that on absolutely no concrete evidence.

Regardless, I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. He will end up with 3 solid years to get PT after the year off.

mlubyRN 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey that would be awesome if he really did go to UNLV. Im moving there!

canuckhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Not surprising that QT is taking a little extra time to make sure his next school is the best fit. I'll always be impressed with the class demonstrated by QT and Appleton on their departure from KU.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if he considered Rutgers as a possible transfer desitination. I would be surprised if he hadn't, but we never heard anything about it. Wasn't it alongside UNLV as one of his final three when he had originally committed to KU?

I guess having been away from home for a year he maybe decided that he had no problem living outside of NJ.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

Have you ever been to New Jersey??

Think intro to the Sopranos for the eastern third of the state......actually, the rest of the state is surprisingly beautiful!! After all, it's state motto is The Garden State!!!

d_prowess 10 years, 8 months ago

If he goes to UNLV he can hook up with all the former LJW folks that move out there!

10 years, 8 months ago

OakvilleJHawk ~

I visited New Jersey a couple of years ago, and the areas around Princeton, especially the campus and the Delaware & Raritan Canal, are incredibly scenic. Definitely worth a day trip of driving if you are ever in the NYC or Philadelphia areas.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

I just hope Thomas lands somewhere where he is able to get plenty of playing time and with a good team. Thomas is a good kid and deserves a break. And to txrockchalk, I don't know if you've ever been to the University of Delaware but it is also an amazing campus. It's not Lawrence (of course) but it is something to see. To be honest, Rutgers has a better than decent campus.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 8 months ago

I take back that last sentence. I think Rutgers has eliminated it's New Brunswick campus. Not really sure what's going on there now.

10 years, 8 months ago

jhawk7782 ~

I have not been to the Fightin' Blue Hens' campus yet. Thank you for the recommendation. One of the great things about the Princeton campus is the variety of amazing architecture and sculpture work.

Timmay97 10 years, 8 months ago

OakvilleJHawk and txrockchalk ~

I'm obsessive Jayhawk fan who's been living in NJ for 13 years now. I can assure you that there are parts of NJ (specifically the Rutgers and Princeton areas) that are quite nice and a safe place to live. The easy way to put it.....anywhere in central NJ is a great area with good schools (some top ranked in nation).

This is home for Quintrell and I'm surprised he doesn't give Rutgers a serious look. Rutgers would be morons to not seriously reach out to him and give him a chance. He is a great talent, just not a great fit for KU's upcoming year. It's a shame!

KGphoto 10 years, 8 months ago

Jaybate. Lance wins. Wall to Kentucky. I'm sure they are rushing the field in victory by now.

Hey, where else can I post it? The Journal is lagging.

rockchalk10jk 10 years, 8 months ago

so Wall is going to kentucky. i wonder what his thought process was there. maybe something like.... ok well Duke could use a point guard and they will have a good team coached by a good guy with a respectable program. NAH then theres Miami. They to need a point guard and I would play significant minutes as probably the leading scorer and be the most popular kid on campus.NAH but kentucky. They have three other 5 star recruits one of which is a point guard who i will have to fight to get minutes with. I probably wont be the leading scorer (maybe leader in assists because of cals dribble drive offense) and the team will be very young with little to no experience. Of course ill take Kentucky.

this just further goes to show how dirty calipari is at recruiting. a normal thinking kid would go to the school with the position available. its like lance going to kansas after X signed. it wouldnt make any sense. Im not mad that this happened. Im kind of happy because it will just further prove that coach cal is a one trick pony. He can recruit and thats it. Good luck kentucky with your four freshman starters all poppin the J the first chance they get because they want to make sportscenters top ten ROCK CHALK

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

KGphoto,

Crack job, there KG. I love it when ever the posters scoop the professionals. It keeps them from going to happy hour early for another week or two. Rock chalk!!!!!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

ralster,

Lance is still undecided and probably will be for a while. His sexual assault case is moved to the end of June. Doubt anything will happen before then.

It's probably going to be between Arizona and Memphis (assuming he's not in jail).