Thursday, May 14, 2009

Miles relishes time overseas

From left, Danny Manning, Bill Self and Aaron Miles crack jokes during Late Night at Allen Fieldhouse in this October 13, 2006, file photo.

Aaron Miles, who played pro basketball in Greece this past season, in Spain in 2007-08 and in France in ’06-07, doesn’t know where he’ll land during the ’09-10 campaign.

“I’m not opposed to anything right now,” said the 26-year-old former Kansas University point guard, who splits time in Lawrence and his native Portland in the offseason with his fiancee and baby boy.

He was back at Allen Fieldhouse on Wednesday visiting with KU’s coaches just a couple of days after returning from Athens, Greece, where he competed for Panionios On Telecoms Athens.

“I’ve got to see what’s best for my family. That’s the most important thing. I’ll take it from there and see where God leads me,” Miles said.

Miles, who likely will play in one or more of the 2009 NBA summer leagues (he has yet to contract with a team), averaged 11.3 points off 45.4 percent shooting with 3.5 assists in 27 games in the Greek League. He averaged 10.2 points off 42.7 percent shooting, and 3.3 assists in 10 games in the Euroleague.

“I just love basketball. I’ll continue to play as long as I can,” Miles said. “I’d love to get back into the NBA. We’ll just wait and see.”

The 2005 KU graduate played in 19 games with the Golden State Warriors in ’05-06, then after getting released finished the season in the NBA Developmental League.

Since then, it has been a great adventure overseas for KU’s all-time assists leader.

“I played against Sasha in the Euroleague. His team beat us badly. They beat us twice,” Miles said of Sasha Kaun’s CSKA Moscow squad. “They made it to the championship and lost. I played against Billy Thomas over there before he came back to play in the NBDL (for league champ Colorado).

“I played against Kenny Gregory. He was in Greece then midway through the season moved to Spain. (Playing overseas) is a great experience, (but) it’s nice to come back and hear English-speaking people, be on U.S. soil and see my fellow Americans. It’s even better to see familiar faces and family.”

Miles’ girlfriend, Mikki, gave birth to Aaron, Jr. on Dec. 16, the same day his former teammate Wayne Simien’s wife, Katie, gave birth to the couple’s second daughter, Rael Simien.

“Aaron Marquis Miles, Jr., aka ‘Deuce,’’’ Miles said with a laugh.

“That’s my Deuce. That’s the Second.”

Miles was pleased to learn his buddy, Simien, who played in Spain last season, has decided to enter the ministry. Simien also makes his home in Lawrence.

“I knew that was going to happen. I didn’t know it’d happen as soon as it did, as far as him retiring and jumping all the way into it,” Miles said. “I’m happy for Wayne. If that’s where his passion is at, I commend him for taking that step.”

Meanwhile, Miles’ best friend, former KU guard Michael Lee, is just completing his first season as a full-time college assistant coach — at Gardner-Webb, which went 13-17 this past season.

“I’m happy for him. It’s an opportunity for him to grow as a coach and learn more and get experience,” Miles said. “Hopefully the team can do a little better next year and continue to grow as a team and him grow as a coach so one day he an become a head coach and I can be his assistant.”

Lee and Miles were inseparable through grade school, high school and college.

“Yeah,” Miles said, asked if he missed Lee. “That’s been my brother since I was a kid. I talk to him every couple days. Even when I’m over there, I call and talk to him. We check in with each other all the time.”

Miles isn’t ready to copy Lee and enter coaching.

“I can’t do that just yet,” said Miles, who still loves to play the game too much. “When the time is right, when God tells me, then I’ll come coach.”

Cothron to attend camp: Luke Cothron, the No. 9-rated player in the Class of 2010, will attend Bill Self’s Elite camp in June, Rivals.com reports.

Documentary: KU guard Tyshawn Taylor is one of the players featured in the documentary, “The Street Stops Here,” a story about coach Bob Hurley and his St. Anthony High basketball program. To see a trailer and learn more about the movie, which has yet to be aired, check thestreetstopsheremovie.com.

Comments

Trey Hohman 10 years, 8 months ago

This documentary looks amazing....I already love Tyshawn Taylor more than it is natural or psychologically healthy to love another person whom you have never met, but after watching this trailer I might love him even more now, and I have this frightening feeling in my bones that after I see this particular documentary, my head may very well explode from the amount of sheer joy and gratitude which will undoubtedly emanate from my brain heading directly towards T2, because I am 99% certain I will not be able to watch him play next season without crying......I am almost scared to see this film....

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

I share the same sentiments about the movie trailer. I love movies like this. I was a big fan of Hoop Dreams that came out in the early 90's. I didn't like the music per say because it sounds too much like Friday Night Lights, but I guess they have to what they have to do. You got to have much love for Bobby Hurley and the whole family. Danny has followed in his father's footsteps and doing it at a rival high school. Can't wait to see the film.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

drgnslayr

I knew I liked you....that explains the heartfelt thoughts in your posts.

Coach Hurley is the true definition of a hero.

d_prowess 10 years, 8 months ago

The article failed to mention if there was any expected airing or release date for this movie. Does anyone know when folks might be able to see it?

Brett Glover 10 years, 8 months ago

Why don't they have an article about Simien becoming a preacher, that's important too.

mjlindsm 10 years, 8 months ago

This is awesome how they continue to have a basketball article every day! Thanks LJW!!

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Ihohman3,

That was a really gay comment considering Tyshawn probably doesn't even know who you are.

There was an article on Simien a couple of weeks ago.

rgreene 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow, that trailer looks absolutely amazing. Any idea when it comes out?

NYhawk13 10 years, 8 months ago

hahaha the picture of Self at the top of this article makes me chuckle :)

Steve Brown 10 years, 8 months ago

great short clip - this will be grand movie ...top 5 sports movies in no order...

Field of Dreams Caddie Shack Rocky 12 Angels in Outfield March in San Antonio 2008

yours?

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

Brian's Song [ The only movie where men are allowed to cry!!] The Sandlot [ How baseball was supposed to be and should be played!!] Bull Durham [ "...Candlesticks always make a nice gift." hilarious!!] It Happens Every Spring { Ray Milland as the nutty professer/pitcher] Hoosiers [ Bball before, Rivals 150, OAD's and Dick Vitale]

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

BOXING - Raging Bull BOWLING - The Big Lewbowski GOLF - Tin Cup OLYMPICS - Chariots of Fire HORSE RACING - Seabiscuit AUTO RACING - Le Mans H.S.FOOTBALL - Friday Night Lights COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Rudy PRISON FOOTBALL - The Longest Yard [ The 1975 version] SOCCER - The Game of Their Lives TENNIS.....?????.....!!!!!!....?????

bangaranggerg 10 years, 8 months ago

Ryan, I heard a while back that ESPN will be airing that documentary but thought it would have already aired by now so I'm not sure anymore. It's not available through Netflix, or VideoETA.com at all.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

Great to see Miles and Lee are both doing great, I'd love to see them reunited as coaches someday.

Hurley is already arrogant enough with the documentary.

Top 5: 1. Hoosiers 2. Rudy 3. We are Marshall 4. The Sandlot 5. Victory

Honorable mention: Brian's Song Field of Dreams Bull Durham The Pistol Radio Remember the Titans The Replacements

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

I forgot a few that could crack the top 5:

The Natural The Rookie A Leauge of Their Own Hoop Dreams Running Brave (Great movie about KU's Billy Mills) Bring it On (just kidding)

rgreene 10 years, 8 months ago

No particular order here, either ...

1) Bull Durham 2) Rudy 3) Miracle 4) Hoop Dreams 5) Field of Dreams

Sleepers: For Love of the Game, Bad News Bears

I left the Rocky movies out because it's hard to just pick one to add. I will say, though, that while it's not the best, Rocky IV has the most rewatchability ... yeah, made that word up.

mjlindsm 10 years, 8 months ago

1 for me would be Blue Chips. That's my favorite movie of all time and a total guilty pleasure. I have no idea why I love that movie so much, but I do. And I actually think it is the best acting performance of Shaq's career by far, which is not saying much at all.

Hey Greene, we missed you and Wood this year. I've been going back and listening to the old Spodcasters from the 07-08 season. You guys helped make that season even more fun, plus you guys are both hillarious. Come back!

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

Your memory is phenomenal for such things. For tennis I would submit Hitch's "Stranger on a Train."

Also, I believe you have overlooked some lesser known gems, some dramas, some documentaries related to lesser sports.

Bridge--Full Contact Bridge; Grand Slam Sam; The Agony and Ecstasy of Grossly Underbidding Curling--Broom Dogs; Swept Away on Ice; Brats and Brooms; Return to Orchard Lake Lumberjacking--Chainsaw Serenade; My Log Is Bigger Than Your Log; For a Few Woodchips More Poker--Debbie Does the World Series of Poker, A Gun Beats Four Aces; Seven Card Studette Ping Pong--Flame Ball Champion; In the Heat of the Serve; Backspin Betty Volley Ball--Volley of Death; Spike and Spike Again; Rotate or Die City League Basketball--Bullet Holes in the Backboard; A Point Guard Named Stilleto Pool--The Hustler; The Color of Money; Percy Does a Two-Bank. Surfing--Murder on the North Shore; Pipeline to Hell; Sexwax on Fire Water Skiing--Ski Naked, Ski Drunk; Slaloming Towards Bethlehem; Ski Jump on Fire Tricycling--Toddlers in Love; Hell's Toddlers; Toddlers at Indy Kickball--Schoolyard Grand Slam; The Girl That Outkicked the Boys; Red Rover--Send Angelina Jolie Right Over; Broken Fingers and Bruised Wrists; No One Ever Calls My Name Pentathlon--How Can I Beat You/Let Me Count the Ways; Javelin Catcher; If I Were on a Box of Wheaties, Would You Love Me, Wanda Jane? Skeet Shooting--I Was a Teenage Clay Pidgeon; Don't Dick Cheney Me; Full Choke Blues

I will leave it to you to figure out the two real ones. :-)

Chris Shaw 10 years, 8 months ago

I like Finding Forrester. The sports part of the movie isn't very good, but I love that movie.

Friday Night Lights

Seabiscuit

Glory Road

Coach Carter

Cinderella Man

The Hurricane

Miracle

Remember the Titans

World's Fastet Indian (Love this Movie)

Million Dollar Baby

The Wrestler that just came out? Awesome by the way!

Game Movies:

1) You can call it a sport or not, but Rounders is one of my all-time favorite "Game" Movies of all-time.

2 Searching for Bobby Fischer

I'm a big movie guy!!!!! LOL!

Trey Hohman 10 years, 8 months ago

I am watching the Celtics/Magic Game 6 right now and Paul Pierce is so freakin' good. I didn't know this before tonight's game, but Paul is tied with John Havlicek and Larry Legend as the only Celtic players to lead the team in scoring for 9 straight years. Possibly one of the all-time greatest NBA records.

My vote is North Dallas Forty for most underrated sports film.

But I probably would see a movie called, "A Point Guard Named Stilleto", sInce nobody has yet completely tried to tackle the gay/sports genre, and since Nebraska Jayhawk already assumes I am gay because I coincidentally love men who don't happen to be of my same exact skin color, so why not, I'm buying the ticket now... but Strangers on a Train should not count since the film's storyline is not dominated by the actual sport...I think you only have the film, Wimbledon to consider, which was awful and unnessesarly and boring because the filmgoer still has to watch awful tennis.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 8 months ago

I forgot about Miracle, that's a great movie. Just about all hollywood football movies are great.

I left out Finding Forrester and Jerry McGuire because they didn't seem like pure sports movies to me, although they are good flicks. Did you notice in Finding Forrester that they have a KU game playing in the background? The announcer is talking about the great Alonzo Jamison...

Jaybate, you are hilarious, but you forgot this classic: Decathlon--Stuck with the Kardashians, the Price of Canadian Gold

plotku 10 years, 8 months ago

How about the forgot about football movie "The Program" come on the roids that made Latimer that was great. Or the "Unecessary Roughness." If memory serves me correct the Texas State Armadillos played the Jayhawks in that movie. And what's his name from Quantum Leap played a 40 year old quarterback. just great.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

Come on now.... Waterboy and Happy Gilmore are left off this list ?

Spencer Goff 10 years, 8 months ago

Other than Bill Self, and that is obviously my bias, two coaches that I cannot help but be interested in are Pat Summitt and Bob Hurley.

With Summitt, she is one of only two coaches at any collegiate level to win 1,000 games. Guys in my class always say crap like, "but it's women's basketball..." I don't give a damn if its the YMCA league, that is a helluva lot of games over a helluva long period of time. And she takes absolutely no crap from any of her players, ever, it really is pretty badass when she gets into a player for being foolish.

(As a side note, who remembers Geno Auriemma benching Taurasi for bitching about the refs? It was classic. But I digress....)

And did you guys know Bob Hurley has never had a senior go through his program without winning at least one state title? Meaning, it is quite plausible that no student has ever done four years at St. Anthony's and not seen their team win state at least once. Are you kidding me?

That is just insane. Just.... insane....

Spencer Goff 10 years, 8 months ago

And Scott Bachula (sp?), and yes, they did play the Jayhawks. They tied them.

100 10 years, 8 months ago

1. Dodgeball

2. Blue Lagoon

3. Dodgeball

4. The Hidden YouTube Tapes -- a secretly taped documentary of John Calipari walking all over the NCAA rules committee, highlighted by a handcuffed visit to Leavenworth in his first year on the job where he sends texts to future recruits on multiple cellmate's cell phones, while also texting an acceptance notice to the NIT

5. Dodgeball

goshenjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

100 -- That's what I'm talking about! "The 5 D's of dodgeball.... Dodge, Dip, Duck, Dive, ....... and............. Dodge" lol

100 10 years, 8 months ago

Lhohman3,

Contrary to what a few people on this site, your writing is hilarious.

Every time I see one of your posts I start cracking up, knowing Will Ferrell's ghost is talking to us all, and yes, as you have planned, freaking US ALL OUT!

Keep your "inside the mind of a slightly more intelligent and much more disturbed Will Ferrell" posts coming...

Rock Chalk, Lhohman3

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

OH MY GOD..these sports movie posts are hilarious. Let's turn the tables

NAME THE FIVE WORST SPORTS MOVIES OF ALL TIME!!!!!! 1] Fear Strikes Out { The worst depiction of an athlete by an actor, Anthony Perkins, in history] 2] Personal Best [ Although you do get to see Mariel Hemingway naked] 3] That goofy cartoon thing with Michael Jordan and the space monsters. 4] Semi-Pro { Will Ferrell blows!!] 5] The Slugger's Wife [ It's so bad, I've never been able to finish it to gauge just how bad it is!!!]

Dishonorable Mention:

Victory [A soccer player Stallone is not!!] Dodgeball [ Except for the two stars, the film was great.....not!!] Balls of Fury [ although I kind of like it..especially the Def Leppard part]

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

jaybate news service:

} deep sources inside lhohman3's mind (new NSA eaves dropping technology so advanced it can recognize recurring burn patterns and their meaning in the brains of citizens) indicate that he not only feels an uncomfortable level of love for great basketball players, but that he (assuming gender here) also harbors extreme feelings for Rebecca Romijn. http://images.google.com/images?q=rebecca%20romain%20stamos&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

} Even deeper sources indicate that OakvilleJHawk went to the ultra secret architectural society in Geneva, Switzerland, called The Angels and Demons Structural Conspiracy, and advocated for Matt Kleinmann's admission to the vaunted Washington University graduate architecture program. Big Red will be trained there in the art, craft and technology of building buildings that usher in the reign of The Fourth Illuminati Protocol. Some may recognize The Fourth Illuminati Protocol as the name of the novel the Robert Ludlum was working on at the time of his death. Remarkably, the protagonist/hero of the unpublished Ludlum book was a 6'11" architect with red hair named Klein Mathewmann. Stringers for jaybate news service contacted OakvilleJHawk for comment, but representatives indicated he was awayon business. When asked where, the representative replied Geneva. When asked for clarification about whether that meant Geneva, Wisconsin, or Geneva, Switzerland, the representative replied with no comment. Ron Howard reputedly is negotiating to purchase the rights to the unpublished Ludlum book with an intent to turn it into a major motion picture. No word yet on whether Big Red will play the fictional character so strikingly close to him, or not. Dan Brown, for his part feeling jilted by Howard, is reputedly dictating furiously a book with a remarkably similar plot called the Rem Koolhaus Diary. Developing...

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

} Will Ferrell has recently announced his enrollment at the University of Kansas. Taking a break from the grease paint and bright lights, Will intends to study journalism and immerse himself in the KU lore of the former KU professor, David Dary. After a two year stint for a masters at KU, Ferrell plans to do a Ph.d. at OU's school of journalism (the first ever issued there) where David Dary finished his academic career. Asked the source of his interest in Professor Dary, Will Ferrell indicated that he had an uncomfortable, almost lhoman3 like love for all academics that have written extensively about the buffalo. Ferrell plans a David Dary bio pic at the end of his long academic journey and is confident it will win him the Academy Award that has eluded him for so long. Ferrell cites Woody Allen (Bananas to Interiors), Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles to Space Balls), and Brooke Shields (Suddenly Susan to Lipstick Jungle) as the inspirations for him to give up comedy and get serious. When told that Mel and Brooke had been trying to do comedies in Space Balls and Lipstick Jungle, Ferrell replied, "Oh, really?"

Trey Hohman 10 years, 8 months ago

100, thank you so much, but sadly, I am no Will Ferrel,,,,although I do have dirty, filthy sex with him on occasion.
Fyi, he's got a heaping, steamy bag of liquorish meat-twine inside of his crotch-rocket that always: "tastes so good when it hits your lips!"....Rebecca Romijn joins us sometimes, but only to watch us defecate on each other like two sexy rat-possums in heat....

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

Easily the vilest image ever conjured on this website!

This may drive Keegs and JNewell to happy hour starting, oh, say, 1:30 pm.

Black or red liquorish? :-)

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

It took me awhile to fast reverse through the worst sports flicks that haunt me. Let me see...

A Perry Mason episode with Raymond Burr entitled "The Case of the Missing Reliever Who Used Sexual Lubricant to Throw Spitters." This was verrrrrry bad. Paul Drake gets aroused in the fourth act and Della has to throw a bucket of water on him, as Perry drags a confession out of a very young Robert Redford.

"The High Hard One," the biopic of minor league fire baller and convicted sex predator Richard "Bud" Staley. Staley was the actual psychopath that Hitchcock's "Psycho" was based on, but Staley would not sell the rights to his life story to Hitch, so, ever the showman, Hitch made up the part about it being based on Wisconsin's Ed Gein.

"The Solid Gold Toe," a rags to riches to rags story of Radjuvic Colonic, a Lithuanian immigrant that almost made the Chicago Bears as Papa Bear George Halas' first place kicker, until he had to sell his solid gold toe prosthetic to pay off gambling debts owed an alderman in the Daley Machine.

"Transformers: Load It Up"--yet another spit ball drama in space in which the Transformers compete in an interstellar soft ball game of death with the Decepticons and have to find ways to hit baseballs the size of the Great Pyramid of Ghiza loaded up with All Spark in a liquid state. Michael Bay's only known failure, on a scale of failure approaching Stevie Spielberg's "1941." Miss it at all costs.

"The Curious Case of the Kansas City Buttons": this is another of those copy cat films based on the The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" with Brad Pitt. In this one, an entire women's baseball league team in WWII called the Kansas City Buttons begins to age backwards at the same time. By seasons end, the female infants take the field in the big game and they all begin spitting up at the same time. In a cameo appearance spoofing his performance in "A League of Their Own," Tom Hanks reprises his paunchy, gross, but loveable manager and looks into the camera and says, "There's no earping in baseball."

"Fear Walks" was a never released sequel to "Fear Strikes Out." "Fear Walks" starred Anthony Perkins and was made by Orson Welles out of short stock at the same time he was making The Trial with Anthony Perkins in Europe. "Fear Walks" exhibits much of the same surrealist imagery used in Welles' little seen "The Trial." The most famous scene has Anthony Perkins as a crazed Jimmy Piersall getting intentionally walked as he stands the height of Yankee Stadium's upper deck.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 8 months ago

um, now maybe I'm just ultrajudgemental, but I really feel that the only two groups of people who have any business collecting dolls, are little girls and possibly grown mothers who've recently lost all their children in fiery car accidents...other than these two exceptions, dolls collecting is just plain creepy....(hope everyone has a nice weekend, and pls. remember hugs not drugs.)