Saturday, May 2, 2009

Barnes feels ‘the love’

The future of KU basketball visits Lawrence

Two potential future Jayhawks squared off Friday at the Jayhawk Invitational basketball tournament.

Harrison Barnes waved to the fans after receiving a loud ovation at the end of his All-Iowa Attack’s 78-67 victory over the Arizona Magic on Friday night at Haskell’s Coffin Complex.

“I’m feeling the love from the Kansas fans. It was nice,” Barnes, Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player, said after scoring 23 points and grabbing nine rebounds.

Barnes, a 6-foot-6, 205-pound junior guard/forward from Ames (Iowa) High, hit eight of 17 shots, including three of seven threes. He also dished three assists, including two second-half lobs that resulted in dunks.

“He’s a very explosive player, very low (to the ground), with tight handles and can get to the rim,” Barnes said of Woolridge.

Barnes played a physical brand of defense versus Woolridge, who had several nice drives to the hoop.

“We were both trying to win the game. It got intense after a while. I have no hard feelings,” Barnes said of the duo’s aggressive play.

Barnes — he attended both Late Night in the Phog and the KU-Tennessee game last season in Allen Fieldhouse — has a final list of 12 schools.

They are: KU, Duke, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Stanford, Minnesota, Southern California, UCLA, Iowa State, Florida, Kentucky and Texas Christian. He said he’ll definitely take five official visits his senior year.

“I’ve been impressed with the community support,” Barnes said. “Allen Fieldhouse was packed for Late Night and the students were gone. It was packed for the Tennessee game and the students were on break. The fans (including 2,000 Friday at Haskell) are really passionate. Coach (Bill) Self is personable, easy to talk to, has great relationship with his players. I feel I have a great relationship with him.”

l Late arrival: Barnes arrived at Coffin Complex 20 minutes before tip. He and his mom made the drive from Ames to Lawrence.

“I had to take a test (Friday afternoon),” said Barnes, who has a near-perfect grade point average. “We were pushing it a little bit.”

l Jayhawks in the crowd: Several KU players were on hand including Cole Aldrich, Brennan Bechard, Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, Travis Releford, Tyshawn Taylor, Jeff Withey and Mario Little.

l Schedule: Barnes today will play at 10:20 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. at KU’s Ambler Center. Woolridge will play at 8 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. at Lawrence High.

l Henrys on TV: Future KU players C.J. and Xavier Henry appeared on ESPN’s First Take show on Friday morning.

Xavier revealed that he will wear No. 1 and his brother No. 13 at KU. Both wore 13 in high school in honor of their dad, Carl, who wore 13 at KU.

“We came to an agreement on that one,” Xavier said.

l Stephenson update: Lance Stephenson, a 6-foot-6 senior guard/forward from Brooklyn, N.Y.’s Lincoln High, has eliminated St. John’s and Maryland from his list of schools, the New York Daily News reports. The Daily News says Stephenson is considering Arizona, Memphis and possibly Kentucky. KU, which has filled its 13 scholarships for next season, had no room for Stephenson after landing Xavier Henry.

Comments

Matthew Goble 10 years, 8 months ago

Lance, just go to Europe. Coaches/schools/fan bases are tired of your antics.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 8 months ago

Apparently Barnes didn't expend enough energy on defense if Royce only scored 29! That's okay, come to Kansas and Bill Self and staff will get that fixed.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Other reports/blogs make it sound like Zona is the top option for Stephenson. I still have no idea why St Johns or Maryland were actually on his list. Clearly neither were the right fit. Good luck in wherever he winds up; I hope we never have to face him (that is said out of respect, nothing more).

So Barnes went 3 for 7 from three? Well that's 42%. Congrats, Harrison, you would make jaybate's squad. Miss one of those, however, and he'd pull the scholarship offer.............................

kingpin 10 years, 8 months ago

i think lance would have loved to come to ku, but we are now full. maryland & st. johns were his other 2 finalists with ku. now that we are full, he needs to find the next closest thing to ku & that just isn't maryland or st. johns.

KUBlue0809 10 years, 8 months ago

Matthew Goble...what antics> If anyone jerked our chain it was Carl Henry....

Max Ledom 10 years, 8 months ago

Mgoble,

Antics?

Oh yeah your right I guess he is taking the biggest decision of his life to serious. I mean who narrows down schools from their list? Why doesn't he just play for all of them? I mean thats what he should do.

Also it's his life, not yours. He will take care of himself.

Cameron Schienebeck 10 years, 8 months ago

MGlobe, I think it's time you take a couple plays off. That comment was just stupid.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 8 months ago

If anything...and this is no way disaparaging to KU or HCBS, Ku dangled Lance waiting on the Henrys. Don't get me wrong...the Henrys are family and Coach Self did the right thing, it's just that Lance got screwed by fate. Calimari stays, Lance is a Jayhawk and we are still the odds on favorite to win it all. Truly a shame we couldn't have X, CJ and Lance.

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Lance didn't het screwed. He could have committed at any time, and if he had, X probably would have gone somewhere else.

I don't hold his hesitation against him, though. It's a big big choice and for an 18 year old, its live and learn.

I wish Lance all the luck in the world and I respect him as a player. He'll have a good career in college and the NBA. I like his will to win.

So, on to 2010 recruiting-- good job Lawrence people for making Barnes "feel the love". His comments on his relationship with Self were encouraging, and I LOVE it that he is an excellent student and put taking a test as a priority.

We NEED that guy!

kranny 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Wisconsin, Self offered to Stephenson. He could have accepted at any time but chose not to. Self had been recruiting X for 4 years. If I were Self and Lance hadn't accepted why not go after the player that originally really wanted to be at KU and really wanted to be a Jayhawk. Stephenson could've announced at the McDonald's game but chose not to. You Snooze, you lose.

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 8 months ago

Good luck to Stephenson. Hope he goes to Arizona.

10 years, 8 months ago

LAJayhawk ~

Unless Gary went back and updated the story after you posted, it says Royce went one for seven from three-point range.

“He also expended a lot of energy guarding 6-foot-3 future KU player Royce Woolridge, who scored 29 points off 11-of-25 shooting, including one of seven threes. Woolridge did not guard Barnes.”

My guess is jaybate has already begun the process of pulling his scholarship. It’s a shame too, because I would have loved to see Royce play at KU :^)

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

txrockchalk,

I was speaking of Barnes in my post; he went 3 for 7.

1 for 7 for Royce has already made jaybate's head explode; thus the reason why we haven't heard from him yet... :-) (all in good fun, jaybate, all in good fun).

Seriously, GO CUBS! 2nd win in a row today.... we need A LOT more of those........

10 years, 8 months ago

My bad, LAJayhawk. My comprehensive reading skills could use some sprucing up :)

We need to get Ramirez back on D soon! It was nice to see The Riot make up for his errors on Thursday with his grand salami yesterday.

I hope the Dodger fans aren't getting to you so far this season... :o)

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

txrockchalk,

Not yet, but the season is still young........ I thought the local radio guys were gonna have a collective stroke over the Manny saga in the pre-season. It got pretty ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more with respect to Aramis. We especially need his bat. Glad to see D-Lee get a couple hits the last couple of games (notice, he hits, and we win). He really needs to pick up his game. As Lou says, as goes Lee and Ramirez, so goes our season........

"Hey Chicago what'd'ya say........"

JJHawq 10 years, 8 months ago

It's not certain Lance was offered. Credible people report otherwise. (EB)

10 years, 8 months ago

"...the Cubs are going to win today!" :)

kranny 10 years, 8 months ago

JJHawq, According to Phog.net he was offered and and I don't think you take a visit unless you've offered. I don't think you plan on announcing at the McDonald's game unless you've been offered. But I may be wrong.

Dan Cook 10 years, 8 months ago

Anyone that thinks we didn't we come out on top of the Xavier/Lance decision is a nut job.

No offense, of course. :-)

And, for the record, we offered with a time limit. He waited past the time limit and X became available again. Simple as that.

Bad result for Lance. Great result for Jayhawks everywhere.

Jfanallways 10 years, 8 months ago

i hope we ge barnes BUT! i think ku would be better off if we pulled in kids like thomas, jhonson, and the morrises, guys that will give us the best talent we can have but will stay 3-4 years. Adding the occasional one and done is fine but i dont want to see our roster turn over every year and have us in a perpetual semi rebuilding year trying to rebuild chemistry every year.