Friday, May 1, 2009

2010 recruit Barnes to showcase talent tonight

It’s a quiet period in recruiting, which means no college basketball head coaches or full-time assistants can attend tonight’s featured game of the 2009 Jayhawk Invitational.

Representatives from Harrison Barnes’ 12 finalists — Kansas University, Duke, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Stanford, Minnesota, Southern California, UCLA, Iowa State, Florida, Kentucky and Texas Christian — won’t be in Haskell’s 3,000-seat Coffin Complex for a 7:10 p.m. showdown between Barnes’ All-Iowa Attack Red team and future KU player Royce Woolridge’s Arizona Magic squad.

“It would be great if coaches could be there, but from what we’ve heard there will be a big crowd, which will be fun for the kids,” said former Iowa State standout Jake Sullivan, coach of the All-Iowa Attack. “We’re excited about it. It should be a hopping environment.”

Sullivan’s squad, which has reached the Final Four of recent AAU tournaments in Milwaukee and Nashville, is led by Barnes, a versatile 6-foot-6, 205-pound junior guard/forward who led Ames (Iowa) High to a perfect 26-0 record and state title this past season.

“Harrison is an unbelievably talented young man,” Sullivan said of Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player. “He will not give you a Michael Beasley-performance where he’ll score 45 points and get 25 rebounds. He’ll score 20 with five assists and five rebounds every single time on the court. Consistency is what he brings. He’s ready to step on the court and play significant minutes right away in college.”

Sullivan said Barnes, who averaged 19.7 points and 8.8 rebounds a game last season, is almost too good to be true.

“Part of why he’s so recruitable is he’s a 3.9 student (grade-point average). You know he won’t get arrested or caught at a bar,” Sullivan said. “School comes first for him. He missed practice tonight because he had a church activity. He’s a great person.”

Rivals.com analyst Shay Wildeboor won’t be surprised if Barnes leaps to No. 1 in the final player ratings of the Class of 2010.

“He can shoot the three-pointer, has a mid-range game and is aggressive getting to the basket. He’s the cream of the crop in this class, a guy who has it all. He’s as gifted as anybody in this class,” Wildeboor said.

Barnes also will play at 10:20 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. Saturday at Ambler Center on KU’s campus. Woolridge, a 6-3 guard from Phoenix Sunnyslope High, also will play at 8 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. Saturday at Lawrence High.

Kansas City Pump N Run, which features Trevor Releford, the 5-10 brother of KU’s Travis Releford, will play at 8:20 p.m. today at Haskell, and 11:30 a.m. and 1:50 p.m. Saturday at Lawrence High.

Bradley Beal, 6-3 from Chaminade High in St. Louis, will be playing for the St. Louis Eagles 16 and under team at 8:20 p.m. today at Robinson; 9:10 a.m. Saturday at Robinson and 4:10 p.m. Saturday at Haskell. Beal is considering KU, Missouri, Illinois and others.

Schedules of the 15, 16 and 17 age group divisions are available at Jayhawkinvitational.com. Ticket prices are $5 today, $7 Saturday and Sunday. A tournament pass costs $12.

Some other players to watch this weekend include: Isaiah Jones and Michael Haynes, Illinois Bobcats; Bryce Jones, Richard Solomon and Alan Crabbe, Compton Magic Black; Jahi Carson, Damiene Cain, Gelaun Wheelwright, Gabe York, Compton Magic Elite; Isaiah Austin and Rickey Roberts, Team Texas and Ishmael Washington and Benny Parker, KC Cowboys.

Comments

TheTruth08 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm praying Harrison doesn't take as long as Xavier did to decide upon a college. John Wall still has no idea where he's going, hasn't even cut his list down nine teams yet. Harrison Barnes is going to be a stud and he'd be a great fit at KU.

KUBlue0809 10 years, 9 months ago

Everyone stop talking about 2010 recruiting and focus on 2009-2010 PLAYING. Football and Basketball. We could gossip for 12 more months about next years class and NBA draft entrees, drop it! Start buying your tickets and gear for THIS year and get amped up!

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

As far as I'm concerned, when college basketball is not being played, most of the talk is all about recruiting......regardless if it's this year or next year. When November comes, all we will talk about are the games being played.

This is a public forum for us all to talk about whatever we want about KU basketball. Therefore, if you have a strong opinion about something, express it......even if it's in the distant future.

And if I can put my two cents in......I predict KU will play at Texas next year on ESPN's Saturday primetime game (late in the year of course).

Just for curiosity purposes.....does anyone else have the same problem I do (living in NJ) with CBS airing multiple games at the 2:00 E.S.T Saturday or Sunday (when KU is playing) and not being able to get the game you want, regardless of what package you have? I don't have this problem with ABC since they are affiliated with ESPN and I pay the $$$ through DirectTV to get the ESPN plus package. I don't get the game in HD, but at least I get the game. Just curious as it pisses me off.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm almost waiting for Jaybates opinion (guy has a lot of intelligent insight), but my feeling is that I don't want to see Kansas going after AOD's on a regular basis. Obviously, this guy has all the tools plus the brains to put his talent to work immediately. Also, you can never have too many combo guards/point guards at 6'6 who can shoot the three. If he chose Kansas, how could you not take him but sometimes a player such as Royce will make a much larger impact. Most likely a four-year player who by the time he is a junior will be a major contributor. The NCAA and the NBA need to find a new solution. Having players leave High School (before finishing) to play for millions in Europe might be too tempting for kids coming from lower economic conditions. EVERYTHING I've read about Barnes has been very positive. This should be a very interesting game.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm real impressed with Royce Woolridge! He's going to be real special at KU. I'm even more impressed with a kid that commits so early in his college choice. I think it shows maturity, focus and determination. We won't have those guessing games with Royce!!

Rock Chalk

Greg Lux 10 years, 9 months ago

John Wall doesn't have to cut his list because every school on it will take him even KU. HCBS would figure out a way to get around the 13 problem for John Wall trust me. So Wall will never run out of options .. he can wait as long as he wants. It doesn't help the schools but I don't think hes concerned about them.

Rock Chalk

mbmerriman 10 years, 9 months ago

KuBlue: its not like KU football starts tomorrow...we still have a solid four months til kickoff...we need something to talk about

63Jayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Jhawkerman, I usually assume that people with whom I speak are trustworthy. However, it always makes me suspicious when someone says, "trust me". Why do you feel it necessary to tell others to trust you? Is there some reason why we might not trust you?

SanClementeJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97, CBS coverage of KU or anything else totally sucks. I'm on the west coast and also subscribe to the DirecTV b-ball package, the only KU games I miss are due to CBS coverage. I hope ESPN/ABC takes over Final 4 coverage someday...

63Jayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97 & SanClementeJayhawk, I would rather any network other than CBS cover KU games. The only time I miss any of the games is when CBS either blacks out the game or switches coverage to another game. I always shudder when I see that CBS is the network carrying the game.!

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

The way CBS does their games is they have a single game at 12:00, then show 2 or 3 games simultaneously at 2:00, and then have (what they probably call) a primetime game at 4:00. Therefore, when I see that KU is playing on CBS.....the only time I really get nervous is when the game starts at 2:00 E.S.T. The other two time slots, I generally will be able to see them.

Like San Clemene Jayhawk said above.......I wish ESPN/ABC take over the NCAA Tourney coverage. They do a much better job overall.

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree 100% with all of my Jayhawk brothers in the So Cal area: CBS has dropped the ball on their KU coverage or lack thereof. If the ESPN Full Court Press package is available on Time Warner Cable I will jump on it. Now that I have DVR I'll jump on the opportunity to record games for next year's "potential" squad.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

Full Court won't help you with CBS games. They only broadcast games that aren't on other networks.

billsboy 10 years, 9 months ago

Sometimes www.channelsurfing.net has the CBS games and others on so when they switch to another game I go running for my computer. You just have to check the line up of games on that day.

JayhawkCasey 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree and hate when CBS switches games, but they do have the best HD picture. If ESPN or another broadcaster gets the games they need to use better cameras.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Another thing the off-season is good for is contemplating rules changes.

What about a 2.5 point line and 4-point line, in addition to the 3 point stripe? A quaternity stripe? Paint it 25, or 27 feet from the basket. And a 2.5 point stripe from 10 feet to the trey stripe.

(Pause to dodge bricks and bats.)

No joking. I am actually serious about this, as serious as Allen and Wooden about raising the basket to 11 or 12 feet, which would be okay with me also.

You may be shocked, because I talk about The Legacy a great deal, and because I am, shall we say, older than The Black Eyed Peas, but I like the three point basket. I like it a lot, in fact; yet it irks me that the trifecta has unintentionally marginalized the mid range game. And a lot of exceptional athletes, like Mario Little, now get less chance to show their balletic stuff, because of it.

Basketball's primary virtue is that it is balletic without being effeminate, in the same way gymnastics, and the best ballet and dance are not effeminate. The best basketball, gymnastics, ballet (and dance generally) are not really masculine either. They transcend gender. They reveal beauty through action, at least part of the time; this is why I love all these activities so much and bundle them.

Dance generally has no daddy, or mommy. It extends back to the mists of prehistory. But basketball, gymnastics and ballet have daddies. They were created by men and first performed by men. Women have subsequently come to them, embraced them, and excelled at them, but only after discovering what men had to discover. These balletic activities are not expressions of one's gender at all. They are escapes from it. They are means of transcending one's gender and self through beautifully skilled physical action. In actual fact, they require checking your gender at the locker room door, or dressing room door, and becoming what you do. The dancer becomes the dance. The gymnist becomes the routine. The basketball player becomes the game.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Athletes of either gender can be balletic athletes and not be effeminate (or even emmasculinate to coin a term) in basketball. Look at the women's teams now. They are playing as beautifully as men now--without playing like men, or like women. They are human beings becoming the games they play and it is just as wonderful to watch this occur with women as with men.

The kind of beauty I am talking about here is, I suppose, the kind Athenian democrats of classical Greece probably spoke of regarding sports. Sports were meant to embody beauty as well as excellence (both were thought aspects of the same diamond, I suppose). Athletes performed in the nude. The events were designed to let competition and physical action elicit beauty from individuals as they moved beyond themselves and beyond us to reveal what humans could accomplish. They were about more than just the fleeting thrill of victory and the abiding agony of defeat. They were about sensitizing a society to beauty and excellence, and its potential.They were about turning individual's potentially most vicious and destructive instincts--physical aggression and competitiveness--into something beautiful and refined and purposeful. Talk about smart!

To the professional and amateur anthropologists out there, I am not suggesting there was any less sexuality, or any less lechery and debauchery, in ancient times, than today. From what little I have been able to discern, the ancients were probably less inhibited than contemporary folks, and certainly more tolerant of things like homosexuality, and group sexuality, than we contemporary folks (certainly than hopelessly monogamous and hetero me), even after all our sexual and gender revolutions of the last half century.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

And I suppose it goes without saying many athletes have always been sexual Prometheans getting unbound and many non athletes have always envied and occassionally crossed the line of vicarious appreciation. I am not really interested in that; that sort of thing is for younger folk than me now in any case.

What I am interested in is: there apparently was a conscious and, perhaps relative to today, an elevated recognition of sport as an act of beauty.

Burdened as we are today, with the baroque and near gothic grotesqueries that pass for so much art, architecture, design and entertainment, and only to hint at the ever increasing normalization of the vulgar and profane and hackneyed by mass media, beauty is something most people, especially men, hesitate to admit they like, or seek out in anything but the figure of a woman, or a natural landscape, or a Ferrari.

Basketball, for many men and for women, is perhaps the last popular venue of human activity where going to watch beautiful physical action has not been alloyed with perverse sexuality and cultivated baseness, where one can go and still be swept up in the splendor and the beauty of physical movement (when thug ball is not oppressively in session, anyway). Be it a gravity defying leap, a fade-away jumper with one leg up, an arcing weave of three players on the perimeter, an alley oop, an elegant jump hook, a 25 trey arced from near the top of a 30" vertical jump, or some French pastry, or a flying windmill dunk on a fast break, or a stick back slam on a secondary break, beauty persists, despite the siege of thug ball.

This balletic aspect of basketball gives the sport its great beauty. Michael Jordan was every bit as magnificient as Nureyev, or Baryshnikov, and probably opened up Europeans to basketball, every bit as much as Nureyev and Misha opened up Americans to ballet (if only briefly in the case of we Americans).

But wait! wait! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait, jaybate!!!

What has all this to do with the freaking four point and 2.5 point basket, and the extinction of the mid-range game, and talking about rules changes in the off-season?!!!!

The mid-range may not survive without a rule change.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Without the mid-range game, much of the beauty of basketball will be lost. A basketball dark age, one already upon us, may fall irrevocably. Thug ball may finally prevail. The light brought us by Naismith may go out. John Thompson 1.0 and Bob Huggins 1.0 may become the new daddies of a new and virulent mutation of the game called Roller Basketball. Handwringers have been forecasting this for a long time. The non handwringers have kept saying not to worry. But while the violence index of basketball ticks up and down, the overall trend line in my life time remains on an ominous upward trajectory.

Some sports broadcasting cartel may soon tip the balance, if the sticky institution of basketball rules are not used to delay the thug ball mongers. During a sweeps period, some future TV vulture may get the idea of rebranding the game as XTreme Basketball.

Help me, help me, help me, I think I am going insane.

Imagine: natural gas jets may be embedded in the sacred floors and shoot flames 15 feet high, as the players wearing brass knuckles run up and down the court swinging black jacks and chains at each other. It will all be such good television, you know.

Sigh.

So: I have pondered how to remedy the near extinction of the mid-range game. I have not done this to be right. I have done this to trigger thinking about what to do.

I have been able to come up with at least three paths besides doing nothing and letting the game be overwhelmed by savagery.

Path 1: Write a rule that says if referees do not call the game by the rules, they will be treated as accessories to the crimes that occur on the floor and in the stands. Fear of being held responsible and of going to jail seems at this point the only way to get referees to call the game by the rules. Without going into detailed speculation, something is apparently compelling referees not to call the games by the rules (i.e., someone or some group apparently wants the rules not enforced) and this influence is not apparently apt to change. So: getting a new rule like the one proposed, or getting the refs to call the game by the rules seems hopeless at present.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Path 2: De-institute the three point basket and call the game by the rules. Erase the stripe. Forget it ever happened. This seems unfeasible. People like the trey. It encourages long shots, which are beautiful and dramatic--essentially basketball's equivalent of the home run--especially at the buzzer. Think the "The Shot" by Mario Chalmers. Treys also let teams shoot their ways back into a lot of games. And they make every game a potential loss, no matter how weak an opponent, if either the home team shoots poorly, or the enemy is really hot. Think Jake Voskuil here. I don't like that any team can lose to any lousy team on any given night with the trey, but fans and media seem addicted to the trey, and so I reckon the trey's gotta stay. Tough to institute against the popular will regarding vices like the three. Recall the negative lesson of prohibition. And the refs won't call the game by the rules either.

Path 3: Create a mid-range strip ten feet from the basket and out to the existing trey stripe wherein a shot is worth 2.5 points. Also, create a four point stripe out at 25-27 feet. Doing this increases the value of the mid range game by half a point per basket, which ought to make the mid range game, which can reasonably be expected to occur at around 45-50% accuracy to a viable alternative to potting treys, or muscling for twos on the blocks. Also, creating the 4 point shot, really forces a defense to stretch to cover it, which then really opens up the mid range and three point shooting both.

Path 3 has a problem however. Are people ready for KU winning 73.5 to 68.5? :-)

Rules changes to ensure the beauty of the game survives are now open for discussion for the remainder of the off season. :-)

10 years, 9 months ago

Regarding the CBS coverage, I have DirecTV as well, and for games being broadcast on their network during the regular season at the same time regionally, my experience has been they usually offer the ones not being shown in your area on channels right above the Full Court channels. They used to be in the low 600's, but moved them either last season or the season before up in the 700's. What sucks though is if you want to watch the game being broadcast in your area on your local CBS station and they switch away from it. Then when you try to watch it on one of the alternate CBS channels in the 700's, it is blacked out. Then, you are hosed.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate, Clearly you have written for audiences in academia. To opine in this manner is typically a virtue reserved for academic circles. I cut my teeth in business/technical writing where brevity was espoused. Later, when I wrote my thesis, my thesis director was quite frustrated by my lack of long-winded prose. Apparently, bullet points are frowned upon by some intellects. Just my observation on this late Friday – not a criticism. I look forward to more keen, if not whimsical, musings.

Aligned 10 years, 9 months ago

You actually read all that? Surly there was a King of the Hill rerun on, or something.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkerjoel,

Done both for money. :-)

and_one 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr - regarding slingbox. They are now owned by Dish Network, look for that function to be integrated into their set-top box with DVR in the near future

jayhawkerCO 10 years, 9 months ago

<p>ESPN360.com you can watch Kansas games there no matter where you live

Tim Orel 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate - I'll disagree with you on your statement that the women's and men's games are both beautiful. I watched the KU women as they tried to win the NIT championship and I've watched a couple of other games in NCAA tournaments, but I find it nowhere near as smooth and polished and interesting as the men's game. Sure I've been spoiled watching the KU men over the years, but the athleticism, playing above the rim, the coordinated plays, the fast breaks and powerful dunks - there's nothing in the women's game to compare to most of that (unless you want the comparison to be bad for the women). Even your examples (e.g. a windmill dunk) mostly from the men's game. I'm a big fan of the KU men's BB team, and I'll root for the women's team, but I won't go out of my way to watch a women's game yet I'll reschedule things to watch every men's game.