Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Anderson to stay at Missouri

Missouri coach Mike Anderson holds up the Big 12 championship trophy after defeating Baylor 73-60 in the Big 12 Conference men's tournament championship game in Oklahoma City, Saturday, March 14, 2009.

— Mike Anderson has agreed to a new seven-year contract and will remain Missouri's men's basketball coach.

The announcement Tuesday night caps a whirlwind couple of days for the school and Anderson, who had been mentioned for coaching vacancies at Georgia and Memphis.

The university said financial details of the new deal will be announced later. Anderson previously earned a base annual salary of $850,000.

Anderson coached Missouri this season to a school-record 31 wins and its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2003. The Tigers advanced to the West Regional final before losing to top-seeded Connecticut.

Comments

frompekka2sasha 10 years, 9 months ago

I feel sorry for Anderson only because he could have made a lot more money for himself. Hey people give coaches crap for taking the big dollars but universities are just as cruel in their handling of coaches who don't win immediately.

I look forward to seeing Anderson at Mizzou for the rest of his career. It's good for the conference but I'll have to find a way to hate him. He just seems like a great guy with a totally classless fan base. Congrats to Mike Anderson!

kuhawksr1 10 years, 9 months ago

The 'heat' is much cooler in Columbia than it would be elsewhere. Money can't buy that kind of security. Mizzou accepts what others don't simply because their expectations, rooted in decades of mediocrity, aren't very high. He can suffer setbacks in Columbia that won't cost him his job. Stick him in Memphis, they'd roast him at the first sign of questionable performance ... especially in a league where the competition is soft and they know it.

I like his style. I like his team's attitude. No nonsense, act like they've been there before, no dancing on tables when you beat a rival approach. I respect what he has done. Is it sustainable?? We'll see. Given the alternatives and the 'Mike Anderson for Mayor' accolades coming out of Columbia this year, he's made the right choice. He cashed in and has more security now than he would have had elsewhere.

Alex Berger 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't think I'll mind Mizzou being a consistently good team. It'll add more heat to the rivalry, not to mention add prestige to the big XII and prepare the 'hawks mentally for the tourney that matters.

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't like MU, but congrats Coach Anderson, you deserve it.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

It's about time mu bought an above average coach. The rivalry will be better with consistent play from their program.

Just heard Calipari is going to Kentuky. Should be interesting to see what happens with the recruits.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Good for the Big 12. And good for the rivalry.

I agree, it is a shame that he isn't making as much as he could. I think mizzou agreed to a little over a mil a year. He could of done better at Georgia (and definitely better at Memphis), but I suppose he knows what he has at mizzou in terms of security; plus the connections are already in place as far as recruiting. He's a good coach and seems like a classy guy, though, so too bad he couldn't get more cash.

But, frompekka2sasha, this is how you hate him: remember that he coaches missouri. Does it for me every time..........

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Anderson is really good for KU, because playing full court pressure twice in conference really pressures KU to get in good shape. It also get KU ready for nobs like Rick Pitino in the Madness.

mbmerriman 10 years, 9 months ago

is this the first time that kansas fans like the MU coach and MU fans like the kansas coach. we woulnt have been happy if norm would of signed this deal 20 years ago. The rivalry is more competitive than ever yet i hate MU less every game, WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!?!?!?!

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Post Script on Anderson...

He's an Okie Baller himself. Played and coached for Nolan Richardson. Richardson played for Don Haskins at UTEP. Haskins was of course one of the big three generation of Iba's that included Haskins, Eddie Sutton and Jack Hartman.

I have tried to read up on Richardson's development of the full court defense and speed game, but Nolan does not like to intellectualize much. He tends to talk about how he has not been properly respected. I believe he has not been properly respected, but he would help himself if he were to write about the nature of the game he played, how he developed it and so forth. Anderson has definitely perpetuated it and it would be very interesting to hear Nolan Richardson talk about what if any of Haskins philosophies and approaches he kept and what Richardson added fresh. Richardson seems so iconoclastic and ruggedly individualistic that he probably was some kind of a genius who developed much of the game we see Anderson coaching and MU playing. But at the same time, it would be good for the history of basketball if he were to make the distinction.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

mbmerriman,

Anderson will become a lot easier for us all to hate once he beats us when it counts. :-)

mbmerriman 10 years, 9 months ago

ya i guess youre right jaybate...but he seems to run a clean program, he doesnt steal our recruits (knock on wood), and they are just fun to watch. Too bad we didnt get any big 12 rep in the final four...KU, Texas, and my longshot (KSU) could next year possibly.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

How in the world can a man turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars for a school thati s similiar?

JS82 10 years, 9 months ago

Congrats to Missouri on signing Anderson. He seems like a nice guy and he had a good run this year.

I think the jury is still out on whether he will have long term success. It will be interesting to see whether he can get top-flight recruits that only want to play 20 minutes a game.

This was the same coach Missouri was ready to run out of Columbia just 6 months ago. Was he a one year wonder or will he be the next Quin Snyder? Time will tell!

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

I honestly hate K-State more than I hate Missouri. I'm sure I'm not the norm, but just the way I "currently" feel.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslyr..

You went to polka dots' games? I'm a Tulsa native too (hum, or at least lived in the neighborhood during formative years), though miles and miles away now! Nolan really created a fun environment at the time. It could be that he resurrects his career at Memphis.

I agree that Anderson has shown a lot of class and a good sense of humor too. I cracked up about his response to a question that went something like this: What would he have said to someone that suggested his Missou team would be in the Elite 8 at the beginning of the season. His response was something like: I'd be askin what he be smokin and drinkin (southern accent). I gotta like that!

I'm not that surprised that he turned down Georgia, good pay, but a career ender unless he was a lot more lucky than Felton, who was also a good guy, but couldn't buy a break. I thought Alabama should have waited and asked him, but maybe he's a little leary of the southern Clanishness that even Tide (detergent and school) couldn't get out of the wash.

Oh, I'm wondering about his ability to capitalize on this year's success. His nephew is leaving and he doesn't have a great recruiting class, at least not yet. He only has one player rated in Rivals' top 150 - PG Micheal Dixon of KC, rated #130. He might have some JC or other transfers coming in...

Warren 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't mind it when KSU feels like they can play a little basketball and maybe win a game against KU every once in a while, but I want Mizzou to have a Quin Snyder every 3-4 years. The ONLY time I have ever rooted for Mizzou was the year they allowed Tyrus Edney ( think thats the guy's name) to beat them in the tourney. And that is because I had UCLA losing that game and placed 5th in the tourney pool I was in that year (I would have won it all if Mizzou would have won).

It would make me smile if Mizzou lost every game. And that is not just basketball. Don't get me wrong, I love the Big 12, but I only root for 11 of the teams.

Brad Farha 10 years, 9 months ago

Not quite on topic, but in all of this, where is bentleytiger? You know, the annoying Memphis fan who posted on our board all year long about how great Memphis is and how they gave us last year's championship? When Memphis got Xavier Henry and Demarcus Cousins over KU, we heard it some more. And of course, we heard it after each loss of the season.

With Coach Cal leaving, and the exodus of the top recruits, I wonder where that leaves his beloved program. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I can't feel sorry for a cat that was so annoying.

mbmerriman 10 years, 9 months ago

memphis might be sinking into the depths. Kentucky is now the most feared program in College Basketball. Cal will get whoever he wants cmon he is at kentucky, great name, great facilities, Im sure Cal will get a few championships sooner rather than later. But hopefully not next year

justanotherfan 10 years, 9 months ago

Anderson is a good coach. It actually helps KU that he is staying at MU, just like OU's success with Capel helps KU, and what Rick Barnes has done at Texas, and what Drew has done to help Baylor become respectable (NIT Champs?) and what Sadler, Martin, Ford and Turgeon have done at NU, KSU, OSU and A&M. It makes the rest of the league stronger, which can only help KU come tournament time. We can only hope that Iowa State, Texas Tech and Colorado become respectable.

This year the Big XII was said to be a "down" conference, but the play of all of the teams in the NCAA tournament, plus Baylor's run in the NIT, has shown that the Big XII wasn't down by any means. Let's hope that continues next year. Lots of teams will have to reload as great players like Griffin, Abrams, Carroll, Eaton and others move on. But keeping good coaches will help that.