Originally published March 30, 2009 at 01:50p.m., updated March 30, 2009 at 05:32p.m.

Collins a third team All-America selection

Aldrich an honorable mention

Kansas guard Sherron Collins looks to pass against the Texas defense on Saturday, March 7, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Jayhawks exceeded expectations with Sweet 16 showing

The season may not have resulted in a national championship for the Jayhawks, but after losing all five starters, it's difficult to criticize a Sweet 16 season.

Kansas University junior guard Sherron Collins on Monday was named third-team All-America by the Associated Press.

Sophomore center Cole Aldrich was tapped honorable mention.

Collins also has been named second-team All-America by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association and third-team by CBSsportsline.com and the Sporting News. He also was first-team All-Big 12 and All-NABC District Eight. Aldrich was named first-team All-Big 12 and All-NABC District Eight.

Self compiling info: KU coach Bill Self on Monday said there would be no immediate word on whether Aldrich and Collins will return to KU next season.

“I may talk to them (before leaving for Final Four on Wednesday night), but nothing will be decided. I’ve got to get the information from the NBA people,” Self said of obtaining information about where the two would be taken in the 2009 NBA Draft if they elect to leave school.

Lance may decide today, or not: Lance Stephenson, a 6-foot-5 senior guard from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, N.Y., has said he will announce for either KU, St. John’s or Maryland at 10:45 a.m. CDT today at McDonald’s All-America Media Day in Miami.

Several recruiting services believe KU is the choice.

However, the New York Daily News reported in today’s editions he “likely will hold off on that announcement a little longer.”

The paper did not indicate a reason for Stephenson possibly delaying the decision, quoting a source as saying he’s “99 percent sure” Stephenson will be a Jayhawk.

Stephenson missed the first two McDonald’s game practices after missing his flight to Miami. He did compete in Monday’s three-point contest.

Stephenson, rated No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, is New York State’s all-time leading scorer. He initially had said he would announce his college choice at Madison Square Garden after the PSAL championship game. But he changed his mind after attending KU’s home finale against Missouri and reported on March 18 that he had decided on a school and planned to make an announcement at the McDonald’s game.

Zagsblog.net, the New York Daily News and others believe if the choice was St. John’s, he’d have announced at the Garden.

Stephenson has said he wants a chance to win a national championship in his one season in college.

Stephenson averaged 31.9 points, 12.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists this past season. In five playoff games, he averaged 37.2 points, 12.6 rebounds and 5.2 assists. The New York high school legend goes by the nicknames “Born Ready (for the NBA),” “Sir Lance-A-Lot” and “The One.”

Henry update: There is speculation that No. 3-rated Xavier Henry, a 6-6 senior guard from Putnam City (Okla.) High School, may ask out of his letter of intent at Memphis if Tigers’ coach John Calipari takes the Kentucky job. Xavier Henry chose Memphis over KU.

“I don’t know. I have to talk to him, talk to my family and then go from there,” Xavier’s brother, C.J., told Memphis’ Fox 13 News when asked what a Calipari move would mean in terms of Xavier’s commitment to Memphis. “It’s up to (Calipari), whatever is best for him and his family. There's not going to be any hard feelings or grudges toward him if he leaves. It’s just whatever he needs to do.”

Daniel Orton, a 6-10 center from Oklahoma City McGuinness High who chose Kentucky over KU and others, told the Oklahoman he still plans to attend UK despite the recent firing of Billy Gillispie. He said no decision would be final until after meeting the new UK coach.

Close but no cigar: Self was asked if the fact Michigan State whipped Louisville, 64-52, on Sunday made him feel any better about the Jayhawks’ 67-62 Sweet 16 loss to the Spartans.

“No, it made me realize we were that close,” Self said of KU possibly reaching the Final Four had the Jayhawks stopped the Spartans. KU led by as many as 13 points the first half.

“They played really well, though,” Self added of MSU in the Elite Eight game.

Banquet information: KU’s men’s basketball awards banquet will be held at 7 p.m., April 13, at the Holidome. No tickets are available. The banquet is sold out to Williams Fund members.

Comments

not_important 10 years, 10 months ago

Nice picture to go with this story. A nice honor for Sherron as a result of his play throughout the season, and instead of using one of the dozens of action shots the LJW has of him throughout the season, they use a shot of him looking at a stat sheet in a losing, depressed locker room. It probably was the last picture on their camera from this last weekend and the first one they got to when sorting by date saved/modified. Don't work too hard there guys.

Matt Kenton 10 years, 10 months ago

I really like this picture.

And your insight uncanny, not_important. I think you're absolutely right, I counted, and over the course of the season they have exactly twelve action shots of Sherron Collins on the website. The entire staff should consult with you at the end of every day to make sure they are working hard enough.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 10 months ago

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR SHERRON ON THE 1ST TEAM BALLOT! =)

Mike Johns 10 years, 10 months ago

curry? first team? come on... i guess it is an individual award, but i wouldnt have put him on first team

Andrew Moore 10 years, 10 months ago

Curry is the nation's leading scorer. I think he earned that 1st team spot.

Collins will be a 1st team all-american next year. The only way he gets beat out of that spot is if a freshman (like a Derrick Rose clone (john wall)) were to explode on the scene for 20 pts and 10 ast. I don't think that will happen. Collins will be better next year, he will have more help around him and can likely LEAD this Kansas team to a final four.
He carried a misfit Kansas team (Brady at the 3, Little at the 4(or injured), 2 freshman starters) to a big 12 regular season title and a sweet sixteen. Next year can be something special. one more year....

Matt Gauntt 10 years, 10 months ago

As for the picture - I kind of like it. Here's my reason.

Sherron was given the team this year to lead. To be "the man". He took on that role. When the team needed someone to go out there and put the team on his shoulders - he did it. He became a man this year, not just an excited, cocky college student. He showed a lot of maturity this year. Sure, they could have shown some great action shots. However, I think this picture reflects the season. Sherron went to work. I think it is fitting that after the game is over, after the whole season is over, we see Sherron sitting quietly and examining how he performed. Is it just curiosity or a desire to be better? "How did I do? What area of my game could be better?" I'm guessing this is what he was doing. He became the leader - the coach on the court. I think this picture shows that.

Nice job, Sherron. You deserve the award. Come back next year and be 1st team all-american. Come back next year and take this team to Indianapolis and get another trophy. Show how this team next year - your team, can win it all.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 10 months ago

Sherron and Cole are both going to declare for the draft without signing an agent. They'd be dumb not to. Hopefully they both get a good experience out of it and then decide to withdraw from the draft and play another year of college ball.

The only way I see either of them not declaring for the draft this year is if Cole knows that he wants to finish his degree at KU before he goes pro, in which case he will wait until next year to test the waters.

GabrielMichael 10 years, 10 months ago

Way to go Sherron! Thank you for treating us to a great season! We love you and will support you whatever you decided... we'll just be able to be a little more vocal about it if you decide to stick around! God bless you.

kufankam 10 years, 10 months ago

personally, i think Collins and Johnny Flynn are both much better than Lawson. they only lack one important aspect in their respective games--> Dick Vitale's lips on their a$$... unfortunately, it is always on Lawson's.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

MistaJRock

I'm not quite sure why Curry doesn't deserve 1st team. He averaged 28.6 ppg, 5.6 apg, and 4.4 rpg. He lead the country in scoring. What more does this kid need to do? Score 50 a game??? Average a triple double???

Congrats, Sherron. Definitely deserving. And more.

ku98 10 years, 10 months ago

Could anyone please tell me why Lawson receives more praises than Sherron? I think he is really good, but I don't see an argument for him being ahead of Sherron. Anyone interested in dissecting statistics and make a case for Lawson, please step up. I am interested. I think Sherron deserved to be on the 2nd team more than Lawson. Clearly Lawson had a better surrounding cast. There is no way he could do what Sherron did for us this year.

stravinsky 10 years, 10 months ago

Not that I don't like Sherron more, but I like numbers, and you mentioned it...

Sherron, numbers wise, beats Lawson in only points per game (18.9 vs 16.3) and rebounds per game (2.9 vs 2.8). Lawson has him in assists (6.5/game vs 5/game), steals (2 vs 1.1) and by far in field goal percentage (.542 vs .434), 3 pt percentage (.485 vs .376) and assists per turnover (3.54 vs 1.51).

Obviously, I'd say that Lawsons better numbers are more of a result of him having a better supporting cast and not having to force as much, and that as he's a north carolina player, he's automatically worthless. But there's the numbers. On a more qualitative level, I think Sherron did a lot more for our team than Lawson did for his.

Keckadek 10 years, 10 months ago

Sherron.... your the man. Continued success to you and yours.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

Wow, Sherron is big...Jeez-louise!!!!...I always knew he was strong, but after looking at this photo of him + with all of those tatoos, I honestly think whenever his basketball career ends, he should move to Hollywood and become a character actor in the same vein as Ving Rhames, Danny Trejo....If they ever make a Con Air part 2, somebody needs to call my man up.....If he scared me this much just by reading some piece of paper in his underwear, image Sherron in prison-garb on a prisoner transport plane with 35 other ex-cons who somehow decide to take control of the plane and are now planning to escape the country...?...I need to go and turn the lights in my house now...I'm honestly shaking as I type this, I am so scared..

Trey Hohman 10 years, 10 months ago

They changed the photo!!! (I am still scared...)

Which one, out of this group, would you rather get punched in the face by?

Bo Jackson, Lebron James, Mike Tyson or Sherron Collins?

Jacobpaul81 10 years, 10 months ago

Lawson's defense is superior to Collins' and although his stats benefit from better players, he simply put, doesn't turn the ball over. I was actually suprised by Collins' third team nod here. But congrats to Sherron for the honor. That's fantastic that in a down year, a player makes this prestigious list.