Saturday, March 28, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU Basketball Notebook

Kansas forward Markieff Morris rips a rebound away from Michigan State defenders Chris Allen, front, and Draymond Green during the first half Friday, March 27, 2009 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Michigan State March 27

KU vs. Michigan St.

Reader poll

Who was KU's first-half MVP against Michigan State?

• Sherron Collins 26% 16 votes
  • Cole Aldrich 46% 28 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 20% 12 votes
  • Other 6% 4 votes

60 total votes.

Reader poll

Other than Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich, which Jayhawk will have the best game against Michigan State?

• Brady Morningstar 37% 10 votes
  • Tyrel Reed 7% 2 votes
  • Mario Little 18% 5 votes
  • Marcus Morris 22% 6 votes
  • Other 14% 4 votes

27 total votes.

Videos

KU vs. Michigan State

video thumbnail

Complete coverage of KU's third NCAA match-up of 2009.

Feature

2009 Bracket Challenge

Get yer bracket on! Browse all brackets, check out out KUsports.com staff brackets, and check to see how your bracket's holding up after each match up is complete.

NBA talk

Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich addressed the NBA question numerous times after Friday’s season-ending loss to Michigan State.

The bottom line is, both have yet to make up their minds one way or another, but both indicated they would love to return to KU and make another run for a national title.

Collins said his first priority was to return to Chicago to “see my son. I haven’t seen him in a while.”

After that, he’ll consult with KU coach Bill Self, who will check with his NBA contacts to see where Collins and Aldrich might be selected in the draft.

“It's a strong possibility, a real strong possibility,” Collins said of returning to KU. “Whatever coach tells me to do, I'm going to do. I’m not in a rush to go. Financially I’m fine. Nothing’s hurrying me to go.

“I love this team so much. My roommate, Brady (Morningstar), Cole … I’d rather be around these guys another year. Right now I'm coming back,” Collins added.

Collins admitted that “a loss like this makes you want to come back. It’ll be coach’s decision what I do.”

As far as Aldrich, he, like Collins, had no time frame on a decision.

“I have no idea,” Aldrich said. “I’m not worried about that right now. It’ll take me a good while to get over this one. This hurts.”

He said he would benefit from returning to KU.

“There are numerous things I can improve on. I can go down the list,” Aldrich said. “I want to set myself up for a successful career, whether it’s this year, the next or two years from now, I want to be successful.”

Self said he thought the Jayhawks could make a strong run for an NCAA title if the team remained intact.

“We’ll wait and see how things may play out by May 1 in recruiting,” he said. “Our guys may test the waters. I really haven’t talked to anybody yet.”

He said he wouldn’t be surprised if both returned.

“Hopefully they have not been thinking about it. They will be thinking about it now,” Self said. “I’ll get information. They’ll do what’s best for them. I do have an opinion what is best for them for life, but it’s my opinion.”

Self has said he wants players to make a decision that will keep them in the league for many years, not just one or two.

Coach proud

What was Self’s message to the team after the game?

“He’s proud of us,” Aldrich said. “He’s disappointed we are out of it now.”

“He said it was a positive year,” Collins said. “Nobody thought we’d do what we did, reach the Sweet 16. He wanted another two wins (in Indy), but there’s no time to get it back.”

Sprained ankle

KU freshman Marcus Morris twisted an ankle with 3:51 left, KU up, 58-55. He didn’t return.

Travel plans

KU officials said the team plane was slated to leave Indianapolis at 11 a.m. EDT today and likely arrive in Topeka about 11:30 CDT, weather permitting.

What was he thinking?

A humorous moment occurred when MSU’s Idong Ibok tried to take the ball out after his teammate, Chris Allen, hit a pair of free throws with 11:01 left.

Ibok looked confused as his teammates were all the way downcourt ready to play defense. The refs finally corrected the situation and gave KU the ball to inbound.

Comments

Matt Bowers 5 years, 8 months ago

If this is it for Sherron and Cole...Thank you. We should all be proud of this squad and what they overcame. It has been an exciting year for us and the next may prove to be even more exciting. We played above and beyond our ability, which means we have players that buy in and an awesome coaching staff. Very excited about next season. Thank you once again Hawks.

Rock Chalk

Robert Lofthouse 5 years, 8 months ago

A serious threat one year removed from the NC, and a contender the next year? Hold your heads high men, you have nothing to be ashamed of, and a lot for which to be very proud.

foamy 5 years, 8 months ago

Lets hope Collins goes pro so the jayhawks can get back to playing team ball. Collins tires to do it all by himself down the stretch and killed us.

John Mueller 5 years, 8 months ago

foamy-

You are dead wrong. He was our only chance to win. Did you see how ineffective we were there late with him on the bench?

Sherron Collins is our offense. He creates shots for others on the perimeter, he's really the only guy that can get to the rim, and when Aldrich gets it low, he usually the guy that made the pass.

Dead wrong. Sherron Collins is the man on this team and everything he did last night was directed by Bill Self.

get a clue.

tdomine 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy,

Too soon, buddy. Too soon.

Sherron is a great player who learned a team role backing up guards that he was (debatably) superior to. Now he's getting comfortable in the leadership role. If he comes back, he'll have that perfected with a support cast that has confidence enough to score when Sherron dishes the dime. His sometimes low assist total is not because he's not passing, it's because his teammates are not knocking them down.

k10phog 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy,

Dead wrong. Do you really believe that? Did you ever stop to think about the fact that Collins is the only one who will step up in big situations and actually take a shot. Watch the games again and you will see every other player on our team afraid to take a big shot and help Collins out.

I know it looks bad when Collins is forcing things out there, but it obvious to see no one else is willing to step up and help him. Without Collins we would have been lucky to be playing in the NIT this year. If we are lucky enough for him to come back next year he should get the help he needs. Everybody will be one year older and we will have another offensive threat in Stephenson. Now if we can only find a way to make sure Cole stays and figures out that he has to demand the ball and play even stronger then he already does then we will be on our way to a preseason #1 ranking.

I'm tired of people blaming things on Sherron during the bad times. He's one heck of player and this team is LUCKY to have him.

jayhawkintexas 5 years, 8 months ago

I wish someone would have asked Self why we got away from the run-outs (the long passes after a rebound) like we had in the first half. Those were effective and wearing Michigan State out but we quit doing it the second half. If Sherron and Cole comeback next year, it is going to be a great ride and I would really like to see another matchup with North Carolina.

k10phog 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to guess that those long outlet passes stopped because Michigan State stopped them from happening. I can't imagine any coach in the world who would let those easy points keep happening and not tell there team to start defending those passes.

truehawkfan 5 years, 8 months ago

I honestly thought Sherron showed everyone last night how much we rely on him. I found myself saying wow so many times last night because if the shots he can create not only for himself, but for others. I was a little disappointed in our role players last night. He hit them with great passes, and they just weren't falling. That's basketball, it happens. Sherron is the type of player that will drive fans crazy. He will lift you out of your seat, wondering how did he just do that, then the next moment he will have you wondering why he just did that. I will take a player like that any day. He has no fear. If he stays, that no fear attitude will spread throughout the entire team. Anyone who can sit there and bash Sherron in a loss are also the people who praise him endlessly on a loss. I hear that is the definition of a fair weather fan? Lets leave that to Mizzou fans and K-Suck fans. It was a great game, and even though it hurts, the team played very hard, and our future remains bright. In what was considered a rebuilding year, we made it to the sweet 16. Great job Hawks. Lets not turn into Kentucky fans here. We will only reload next year, and if the cards fall right, we will be top in the nation with a very experienced team. Stay competitive Hawk fans, but don't let competitive notions keep you from seeing and celebrating our accomplishments.

Michael Auchard 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy,

Everything Sherron did, he apparently did with Self's complete confidence. I think you will be happily surprised next year if/when Sherron returns with improvement at every position and a class of recruits/transfers that may very well rival the Rush/Wright/Chalmers/Downs class.

Of course, some of this depends on my good buddy Lance Stephenson...

I've said it before elsewhere, but what a hell of a season, Jayhawks. I feel so lucky to be a fan for such an amazing program. No one else could have done what we did this year with the personnel losses we've had. Thank you for playing so well and upholding the greatness that is the University of Kansas' basketball program.

I already can't wait until next year.

yates33333 5 years, 8 months ago

I think Collins should go professional. He is a great player and will prove nothing to the NBA next year. He is as tall as he is going to get, which is the only drawback. He is strong, fast, shifty, pretty good defensively, at least great by NBA standards, and old enough.

I think Aldrich isn't quite ready. One more year. He has gotten stronger and if he improves as much next year working with Danny as he did this year he will be a top five pick.

KU needs a 3 and a 4 player of big time college calibre. Maybe Little, but maybe not. Morningstar and Reed started out doing very well but didn't improve, in fact you could say they were relatively worse as the season progressed. Perhaps one of the freshmen will blossom as a sophomore. Better yet get two proven high school players.

Michael Auchard 5 years, 8 months ago

yates,

Whether or not he's more talented next year or the same athlete he is now, with the players we have/potentially have coming in, his stats are going to improve. Now we both know that to get an assist, the player Sherron is passing to has to catch the ball; it's not all about his singular ability. But the NBA is fickle. I think a player Sherron's size (what a difference scouts see between 6'2" and 5'11", no?) has to go the extra mile. With a better supporting cast he will get his Assist/TO ratio higher next year. At this point, that is a major hindrance for a player who is slated to play the 1 spot in the League. And, like I said, he may be no better physically next year (though, I sure bet he will be), but the NBA doesn't have very much patience for undersized guards.

I agree with you completely on one point, though. He has the skill set down pat NOW to play in the League. It's just the politics. It was nice to hear the announcers last night compare him to Tim Hardaway. For the amount of attention and awards he has earned throughout this season, he has a very low draft buzz.

Seth Peattie 5 years, 8 months ago

shut up, foamy. clown. with our team intact heading into next year and (HOPEFULLY) the addition of a 3rd scorer in Lance Stephenson, this team will win the NATIONAL TITLE again next year.

What's Foamy winning? A SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cklarock 5 years, 8 months ago

The Sherron haters are like roaches around here. Somebody turn the lights on.

Thanks for the season, Sherron. You made it what it was.

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy- you remind me of Idong inbounding the ball last night. Wrong end retard.

I can't imagine where we'd have been this year without Collins and Cole. You guys did a great job all year. Hope to see you back next year making a strong run for another title.

There aren't too many Jayhawks that have two NCAA championship title credentials - zero.

Another goal you two should shoot for.

Rock Chalk!!

zissou 5 years, 8 months ago

Don't pay attention to Foamy and others like him/her. They don't understand basketball but enjoy feeling informed.

It's OK, Foamy. Lots of people do it.

ObiWan 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy must have gone to the wrong website. All the jerks post on tiger board. KU Sports is for true fans that appreciate great basketball. Thank you Coach Self and Captain Collins for making what was supposed to be a "down" year into a very special season. I have no doubt that KU is the best program in the country...Rock Chalk!!!

Jim Jackson 5 years, 8 months ago

Foamy, don't ever post on this blog again, you are a joke. Not to worry Hawk fans with Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson coming in next year we will have our 2nd national title in 3 years. No doubt about it.

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Terrific season! Always a bummer when it comes to an end, but this team far exceeded my expectations. After UMass in December and MSU in January, I was hoping for an NCAA bid and maybe get to round two. A reg season Big 12 crown and a Sweet 16 later, I'm elated!

Sherron needs to come back. As Yahweh said, with his size, he has to play the point in the NBA to be successful, and I think he needs another year of seasoning to get more comfortable protecting and distributing the ball, b/c he won't be a 20 point a game guy in the league. With a good supporting cast next year, he can improve his stock. That said, unless Self gets clear word from his sources that Sherron is absolutely NOT a high prospect this year, he'll declare just for the workouts. It doesn't hurt him at all, he can always pull out later.

Cole needs to come back, too, for reasons stated above (get stronger). His footwork is pretty good and he has terrific hands. I could see him declaring, too, for the same reason as Sherron, but since you can only withdraw once, he may not, if he truly thinks he might need the 4th year to get to his true potential..

Mike Bratisax 5 years, 8 months ago

Job #1...find another scorer who WANTS to take the pressure shots. It's easy to jump on Collins for his play in the final moments BUT no one else was willing to step up. I know Reed is a popular player but can we finally stop making comparisons to Hinrich? He did sink a 3 at a key moment but overall he is not a go to player when you absolutely need a big shot. Neither is Morningstar for that matter. We've already got a stellar recruiting class coming in for next year and is some of last years class..i.e. Travis Releford, Quintrell Thomas, make needed improvement, we could very well be raising ANOTHER NCAA banner in 2010.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 8 months ago

How can any KU fan ever complain about Sherron Collins? I just don't get it, the guy is amazing. You can't win 'em all. It would have been nice if someone else had stepped up in this game, though.

I'm glad they explained that weird incident when the MSU player tried to inbound the ball when we had it. I was in a bar in Waikiki with a bunch of loud KU fans so I didn't hear what was said. It just looked strange and I couldn't figure out what the dealio was.

Blake Brown 5 years, 8 months ago

First of all, I am really thrilled about this year`s accomplishments and I did not anticipate winning the conference and going to the tournament. The coaches and players are to be highly commended.

I have a question about the end of our season. What happened? We go 3-3 in our last 6 games losing to TT, Baylor and MI State and are down 14 in the first half against Texas at home. The Dayton game was one of the worst games I have seen 2 teams [not Cole] play in years. Our 3 point shots were not falling, our free throw shooting sucked and we made lazy passes after passes against even soft defense. Our role players lost there roles. Were we burned out? Tired legs? Tired mentally?

I remember a few years back when we had a great team [with Kirk and Nick et al] and they hit the wall and could not finish. Did we hit the wall?

Meanwhile, I have enough recordings of some of our games and last year`s NCAA to get me through the summer. We should be really great next season. Bring it on.

Go Hawks!

Scott Wood 5 years, 8 months ago

Sherron is one of the top 5 players to ever play at KU. For all of ignorant haters, get a clue. The man was 9-13 and amazing. If anything he should have taken more shots. We will be a better team when Reed and Morningstar do not play as much. Hopefuly Lance comes and he and Johnson will take their spots. Their inability to hit the open jumpers just killed us. Anyone who complains about Sherron simply does not know basketball.

mjlindsm 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm wondering something here with all the talk of Sherron and Cole staying and Stephenson looking like he wants to come to Kansas. That would make 15 scholarship players. 15 > 13 allowed. How could Stephenson possibly come to Kansas?

InfiniteJ 5 years, 8 months ago

smdub213: I like Sherron, he's an awesome player and I'm glad he's a Jayhawk, but he is not not of the top 5 players eve to play for KU.

FairgroveJayhawk: I realize you think that what foamy said was idiotic, but what did you mean when you called him a "retard"? Is "retard" another way of calling him stupid??? Like someone who is retarded is stupid??? I tell you what, you need to watch what you say and what you post....if I ever heard you call someone that in person I'd beat your ass.

cpatcheak1 5 years, 8 months ago

The season over and memp might be losin there coach to kentucky wow wonder what x is thinkin on his commit to them now .

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm wondering the same thing as smdub213. If I'm not mistaken, we cleared one scholarship with Kleinmann leaving and we get one back now the probation is over. So...with the transfer for Arizona and the two kids from the early period, aren't we over by one already if nobody leaves? Either someone is gone, or someone is transferring, but now we're hearing nobody is leaving and Lance Stephenson is coming. A fifth grader can do that math. Too many players, not enough scholarships!

B60 5 years, 8 months ago

Sherron should test the waters but keep his options open. He has nothing to lose by doing pro workouts. Even if he plans on coming back this gives him the pro perspective on what he needs to work on. I would be surprised if he doesn't go this route. I agree with those who say that he will dish the ball but the others have to shoot. Brady and Tyrel would go long periods where they only looked to pass.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 8 months ago

Likely scenario...Transfer [ Quinton Thomas, Releford, etc.] plus Brady gives up schollie for one year if Sherron and Cole both stay and Lance arrives thus equals 13 scholarships. Cole, Sherron, Appleton and Little and maybe Lance sure to go after next season...Brady gets his schollie back and all is well

KURocksChalk 5 years, 8 months ago

Sherron, I have to apoligize. I questioned your ability on point and thought that maybe you were not the guy for that position. Last night it was obvious how much the team needed you. The young guys were not taking open shots late in the game. The ball seemed like a hot potato to them and they just wanted to get rid of it. Your drives to the hoop were amazing and I realize now how you can set up Cole for the putback on the rare occassion that you miss or dish on the way in. I look forward to your return next year. It will be a great year.

jpmusic76 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh Foamy... Think about Scottie Reynolds and Villanova. As a freshman he also had to carry the load for his young team and often had to score 30-40 points just to give his team a chance to win. But look at them now - rising to the Final Four with a stellar team.

Thank you Jayhawks for a superb season better than many before it, better than most other programs.

Remember, winning the NC is the most difficult NCAA task, and it should be cherished by all fans for years to come. Have patience, we will be back in the future!

Dan Harris 5 years, 8 months ago

Sherron you are a STUD! Foamy you are a little inconsequential a@@hole!

BrockIII 5 years, 8 months ago

Ibok was the star of the tourney with that play. Never seen that happen before.