Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Woodling

Kansas NCAA Q&A

Everything you wanted to know about Kansas University men’s basketball, but were so mind-numbed by the repetitive CBS commercials you forgot to ask …

Question: They say Cole Aldrich’s triple-double against Dayton was the first in school history. What about Wilt Chamberlain? Didn’t he ever have a triple-double?

Answer: Aldrich recorded the first “official” triple-double in school history Sunday. When Chamberlain played, blocks and assists were unofficial statistics and rarely kept. However, fellow graybeard Bill Mayer, who covered Chamberlain’s KU career, did some research and found Wilt the Stilt produced at least two triple-doubles. The most impressive was a 39-point, 22-rebound, 14-block performance against Marquette in December of 1956.

Question: Sherron Collins will wind up as the Jayhawks’ scoring leader this season. When was the last time a sub-6-footer could make that claim?

Answer: You have to go all the way back to the 1961-62 season when Jerry Gardner, who like Collins is listed at 5-foot-11, led the Jayhawks with a 20.7 average. Gardner, in fact, is the only KU player under 6 feet who has averaged more than 20 points a game in the 63 years records have been kept.

Question: Are Gardner and Collins the only undersized guards who led a KU team in scoring?

Answer: There is one other. Dallas Dobbs, also 5-11, was the Jayhawks’ leader in 1955 (16.0) and 1956 (15.9). Incidentally, Collins’ current scoring average is 18.9, so he is the second-highest sub-6-foot points producer in KU annals.

Question: What about Darnell Valentine? He wasn’t very tall.

Answer: Valentine, the only guard who ever has led KU in scoring for three seasons, was listed at 6-2. Notably, Valentine would have had a four-year sweep if he hadn’t been edged by Tony Guy during his senior year. Guy averaged 15.8 points per game in 1981, just .2 better than Valentine.

Question: Has anyone ever led KU in scoring for four straight years?

Answer: Not since records have been kept. The other three-timers are Clyde Lovellette, Dave Robisch, Danny Manning and Brandon Rush. Of the five three-time leaders, Valentine and Manning are the only ones who had four varsity seasons.

Question: Who prevented Manning from a sweep?

Answer: Manning averaged 14.6 points in 1985 — still the highest total by a KU freshman in the nearly 40 years since freshmen became eligible — but Ron Kellogg, then a junior, was the team leader at 17.6.

Question: How long have they being counting blocked shots, and who is KU’s single-season leader?

Answer: The NCAA began logging blocks 34 years ago. Greg Ostertag established the Kansas record in 1994 with 97 swats. Ostertag is also second on the list with 91 in ’95.

Question: Where does Aldrich stand?

Answer: With 90 blocks so far, Aldrich has an outside chance of overhauling the 7-2 Ostertag, who posted his 97 rejections in 35 games. Aldrich has played in 34.

Question: Have we seen the last of that CBS commercial showing water spewing from the man’s armpits?

Answer: We can only hope.

Comments

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

No kidding, that is a bad commercial.

I'm thinking if Cole breaks that record for blocks against MSU, we'll be in the Elite 8.

tennesseest 10 years, 10 months ago

As long as there are no Spangles commercials...god willing

kingpin 10 years, 10 months ago

i crack up every time i see that deodorant commercial! it's ingenious. :-)

quigley 10 years, 10 months ago

I like all the Howie Long commercials, especially the one with the little red haired girl.

kurocker154325 10 years, 10 months ago

GOOOO COLETRAIN!!!

The axe commercial was the best.

lahawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

I prefer the baby e*trade commercials. I really like the "shankasaurus" (golf) one. That is hilarious!

Jhawk2515 10 years, 10 months ago

ESPN really needs to buy the NCAA tournament up until the Final Four. I love the CBS announcers and how they broadcast their games, but to most people that do not have directTV, it is not a great option. I myself have watched the games on the computer but it is not the same thing, the games don't look as big and are not live with at least a 1 minute delay. I would love to see the Final Four on CBS stay the same, then you have the best of both worlds. Plus, maybe we can hear Dickie V in the NCAA Tourney!

Sean Rodger 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes, because that is what we need - more Dick "ACC HOMER" Vitale.

Are you kidding me? He is terrible - He even picked UNC to win last years NCAA tournament after the Jayhawks won the thing! "If KU played UNC in a seven game series UNC would win". No they wouldn't - Bill Self is by far and away a better coach than Roy Williams. I liked Roy - but we had several teams that could win a Nat'l Championship and he couldn't do it. The Nat'l Championship he won wasn't even with his own players! Year after year us Jayhawk faithful stood by and watched Roy's teams regress in the tournament. I'm glad we have Self.

Back to Vitale...He has no respect for the Big 12 and the ACC is his crystal palace. I hate listening to him and wish he would retire - other than the fact that he brings energy and a concoction of words (aka diaper dandy, ptp'r, etc.) to the game he has nothing - most announcers can be un-biased when they call a game.

He cannot.

This rant went many different directions (sorry) - I just despise Dick Vitale as a broadcaster - I can't wait until someone better comes along!

rockbrooklynchalk 10 years, 10 months ago

Update from NY for you all regarding Lance Stephenson, and it's great news.

Zagsblog reports that it's all but a certainty that Lance will commit to Kansas:

This is awesome news. I've seen this kid play multiple times and we're going to be blown away by him.

stravinsky 10 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of Dick Vitale, there was a really funny story about him on The Onion. My favorite is the part about Coach K about halfway down.

That armpit sweat commercial still freaks me out. But at least it's not spangles. My god. Although I sort of miss the spangles and pizza street demon-girl commercials that were on all the time last year... Guess I haven't watched enough local tv this year.

Joel Hood 10 years, 10 months ago

lahawkfan - I also like th e-trade/baby commericals. But, he says "shankopotamus" not "shankasauraus". It's all good - sorry to nit pick, but I really love that slam.

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 10 months ago

Best part of the deoderant commercial is when the girl ducks at the end as he raises his arms... priceless.

Has anyone seen the Quiznos Torpedo commercial?

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

Looking for Nominations for:

KU's All Time Never Made It to the NCAA Tourney Team:

PG-- SG SF BF C

Criterion: Has to have played since the NCAA tournament began. Its actually pretty tough to find guys who never who never played for a team that reached post season at least once in their careers.

Suggestion: It is likely to involve some juco players.

Note: I've already rejected Jerry Gardner, Wayne Hightower, Bill Bridges and Bud Stallworth, who stat research indicated went to at least one NCAA a piece.

Frankly, I gave up looking.

nocaljayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

That Onion story about Vitale rules...right on the money about that tool.

KUFan90 10 years, 10 months ago

I wish the commercial that shows the bitter college rivals getting along had included KU and MU. In fact I'm bitter that it doesn't. We are a bigger rivalry than some of those teams they show. More media bias....

indianajayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I was bitter as well, but then I thought about it & figured that there is a reason they don't show the KU-Mizzou rivalry on that commercial -- its not realistic. Just staying at a hotel might work for Duke-UNC fans, but for KU-Mizzou... probably still won't be friends.

kidding (sort of.. haha)

chanutejayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

My favorite commercials are the Sonic guys. I saw the one where the guy in the passenger side swats away the driver's seat guy's tator tot and goes, "REJECTRED!" the other day. ClAsSiC!

Blake Brown 10 years, 10 months ago

I love westtexjayhawks definition of what CBS stands for= "cant broadcast sports". I have been trying to think of an appropriate handle and that one rocks. The best I came u[ with was "Commercials Before Sports". I have the Mega March Madness package and have to hope KU is not being carried on the local channel so I can get the entire game without interruption or complete discontinuance. CBS is notorious for too many commercials and a priority for inserting them even while a game is in progress. Their announcers for the NDS game were horribly uninformed and inadequate and one of them, Len Elmore, played the game and he has no clue not to mention a poor speaking voice.

Anyone, please tell me how I can listen the the Jayhawk announcers while viewing the games.

twowheels 10 years, 10 months ago

jaybate,

That's tough. What was our streak at in the NCAA tourney before '88? What if you changed it a bit and said never appeared in a tourney game? Could have been a bench warmer or something or maybe they were injured, etc. Or maybe they transferred out (Micah Downs - hear the scorn?), does that count? I'm thinking some recent folks could work with this definition, if I did my cursory research correct; Luke Axtell Rod Stewart Nick Proud Travis Williams (Remember that guy, doesn't fit this list as he never actually played because of academics, but he showed up for a day or two. I just came across his name.) Mario Kinsey (played football for us too)

Probably several others...

Kyle Logan 10 years, 10 months ago

about ESPN buying out the NCAA tourny from CBS ... the contract that CBS has is up in I believe 2012, I could be wrong by a year or two, but rumor has it that ESPN is already putting in bids to take the tournament away from CBS

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Micah Downs is currently playing in the NCAA tournament.

KUfan90 & indianajayhawk,

That bugs me too. But then I remembered that mizzou perennially stinks. If they can make a Final Four then perhaps the media will lift their bias.

I'm not holding my breath (on either count).

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 10 months ago

LAJayhawks.

Your Midwest regional champs makes Dr. Phog Allen roll over in his grave..

hahahaha!!!

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Note to Self: D is the key...

Triangle & Two...

Mixed with...

Sherron

(and Sherron only)

Occassionally

Messing with their

Spartan

One handed Dribble monster

Point guard...

Full Court...

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

CaramelMacchMan,

I'm actually in like 10 different pools, and I just decided to make this one my "crazy picks" pool -- I have Marquette v. Purdue in the Elite 8 for God's sake!. I had no idea it would be published beneath my comments. I'm actually in 2nd place in my money pool of about 80 people.

But, yeah, that pick looks a little stupid (and not in hindsight either). I'm also insanely superstitious, so I thought if I picked against KU it could help. So far it seems to have done it's job............

Blake Post 10 years, 10 months ago

don't know what you mean caramel boy, but don't you know... nothing phases the Phog. We are the champions and he is smiling. All who enter the building named for him take heed and beware... He has the LONGEST winning streak in the country.
AND we have exceeded the expectations (and forecasts of doom) of all media earlier this year. Yeah, that's right... they questioned whether we would even reach the tournament, and we finished BIG 12 CHAMPS! The ignorant media and others apparently didn't know that we haven't missed the tournament since 1989, and that was only because of probation. One thing I know best of all... the Phog does not care what you say. Transcendent legends do not notice such tripe from pikers such as you.

5yardfuller 10 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate,

KU's All Time Never Made It to the NCAA Tourney Team:

pg--Dallas Dobbs sg--Nolen Ellison sf--Otto Schnellbacher bf--Kerry Boagni c--Herb Nobles (maybe not really a true center)

HaiL2ThAjHaWkX 10 years, 10 months ago

anyone know what the streak before our sanction in 89 was of consecutive tourney appearances??

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

It was 5 in a row. We were not in the '82 or '83 tourneys. Our total tournament appearances is 38 counting this year -- 20 of them, of course, coming the last 20 years -- with a record of 84 and 36 (counting last weekend).

Here's our tourney history, complements of ESPN:

EnviroHawk7 10 years, 10 months ago

I love that one commercial with that late night guy doing the Swedish Budweiser Commercial. Also, I am really exited about Lance Stephenson possibly coming to KU, and I thought I heard something about Collins and Aldrich staying?! (Don't listen to me)

Congrats to Bill Self, COACH OF THE YEAR.

I love being a Jayhawk...

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

PG - Jaque Vaughn SF - Paul Pierce C - Raef Lafrentz SG - Billy Thomas PF - Scot Pollard

Seeing a trend here?

WilburNether 10 years, 10 months ago

I can't wait for the Final Four, to have the privilege of hearing Mr. Useless (aka Clark Kellogg) as the replacement for Mr. Obnoxious (aka Billy Packer).

Not.

Of course, both of them beat the pants off of Max, who was so utterly useless that he became utterly obnoxiousl

WilburNether 10 years, 10 months ago

Not.

Of course, both of them beat the pants off of Max, who was so utterly useless that he became utterly obnoxious.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Wilbur!!! Surely that's not Max Falkenstien, if so, I utterly disagree - how dare one speak of the voice of the Jayhawks in such a way. I've had the hardest time getting used to the new guy, see, can't even remember his name.

a suggestion for anyone on the basketball team not named Cole or Collins. Kick some lilly spartan ass. C&C will be there in full force.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

twowheels,

I want you for my lawyer next time I have to figure how to split a hair. :-)

But no fair. I laid the gauntlet down the way I did intentionally.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

5yardfuller,

You win. That's a pretty good list.

Boagni and Nobles were very good, even though Boagni bailed/was pushed.

Nolan Ellison was also an underrated player, who if I recall correctly, delivered us to a 4OT win over KSU in the Big Eight Xmas tourney.

Dallas Dobbs was new to me. His career was before my time, but his career was a very good one. Definitely he gets to be PG.

I would add George Unseld to the team as the center, maybe keep Nobles, and make Boagni the sixth man. In 1963 and 1964 seasons Unseld averaged 17 and 18ppg. He was Wes Unseld's brother, too.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 10 months ago

Pre-tournament era champions 1922, 1923 NCAA Tournament champions 1952, 1988, 2008 NCAA Tournament runner up 1940, 1953, 1957, 1991, 2003 NCAA Tournament Final Four 1940, 1952, 1953, 1957, 1971, 1974, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1993, 2002, 2003, 2008 NCAA Tournament appearances 1940, 1942, 1952, 1953, 1957, 1960, 1966, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Conference tournament champions 1981, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2006, 2007, 2008 Conference regular season champions 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1914, 1915, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, 1946, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1960, 1966, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Brett Forreal 10 years, 10 months ago

I have to agree Self is a better coach than Roy. Like everyone else I was displeased when Roy left. However, as some people say change is not all that bad. In this case it was great as time proved. Look at what Self has done that Roy couldn't do at KU. I like the guy and he seems really caring as he apologized for not winning it with Pierce and the gang, but the proof is in the pudding. For good grief, he had Pierce, Lafrenze(sp)....the dream team and still couldn't do it. I think Self is much better at bringing in the most talented kids as with last years group. I don't see UNC winning it this year either. Sorry Roy. As for Vitale he needs to retire. His dumb sayings are getting old and he is all about the ACC that is it. He couldn't even respect KU when they won last year as he picked UNC to win in a series of games. Give it up Vitale, UNC lost! They got ran out of the gym by KU and really embarrassed on National TV. He just couldn't deal with being shown up. Retard.