Originally published March 23, 2009 at 03:52p.m., updated March 23, 2009 at 04:24p.m.

Commissioner Hack drops proposal to rename part of Missouri Street after coach Fambrough

City Commissioner Sue Hack has withdrawn the idea of renaming a portion of Missouri Street.

City commissioners won’t debate, after all, whether a portion of Missouri Street should be renamed in honor of a former Kansas University football coach.

Commissioner Sue Hack has pulled from consideration her idea to rename Missouri Street — from 10th to 11th streets — in honor of former KU football coach and longtime Missouri foe Don Fambrough. The item had been scheduled for debate at tonight’s City Commission meeting.

The proposed renaming drew sharp criticism from fellow Commissioner Boog Highberger, who said the renaming of a street over a sports rivalry was “petty.”

Hack indicated she would work with KU and its Athletic Department to determine an alternative manner to honor Fambrough.

Comments

Ryan Gerstner 10 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't really matter to me either way. However, it just made sense to name that stretch near the stadium in honor of Fambrough. I think rivalry stuff can be overblown at times, but this wasn't as big of a deal as Boog was making it out to be.

KU1979 10 years, 10 months ago

Boog is a latin word that translates to "I am petty, so I know petty,"

I love Lawrence, but it has some weird politics. I don't know how they ever get anything done.

blindrabbit 10 years, 10 months ago

Sue was no-doubt pandering for free Football tickets; would not be a conflict for the coming season since she will not be in office anymore; Oh! but that did'nt stop her with the Dicephera issue.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 10 months ago

Boog, it's not about sports rivalry or being petty. They burned our * town to the ground, man! Have you no sense of history?

areyouserious 10 years, 10 months ago

both of these losers are bush league. Whats the big deal, oh wait, we gotta plan another roundabout dont we! Schedule is full for the city commission!

KURocksChalk 10 years, 10 months ago

The city staff must not have liked the idea. That is where the real power is.

lance1jhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Jeez.. I don't care what they call it, but I park on Missouri Street during football games and am really embarrassed about it.

I say don't bring the KU-MU game back to Lawrence until they rename the street.

I vote for Coach Fam Blvd. Or 1 John Brown Way

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

Petty? Not much more then a Misery Sheriff "issuing" warrants for KU Football players after we "stole" this seasons game. I thought the gesture would have made Fambrough very happy and isn't that what we are trying to do? This is a man who when honored with a bench at the campanile said of the event that the moment was better then he thought it was going to be but not as good as beating Missouri. Come on, how can you not rename the street after that! God Bless Don Fambrough!
You know after reading about Boog Highberger I am kind of hungry. I think I will order one with cheese.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

...and don't get me started about commissioner "Hack".

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 10 months ago

KU1979, "weird politics" That is redundant. Lawrence does not have a monopoly on that.