Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jayhawks endure tough practices

Kansas University’s basketball players paid the price at practice Friday afternoon and Saturday morning for losing Thursday’s Big 12 quarterfinal contest against Baylor.

“It’s been tough. Practices have been more intense, longer. Everybody’s been ready to work,” KU junior guard Sherron Collins said Saturday afternoon.

Practices were so intense Friday and in the Saturday a.m. ... “This is the first time all year people are getting ready to go in the ‘cold tub,’’’ Collins said of he and Cole Aldrich heading for some soothing treatment on nagging bumps and bruises. They were not required to participate in a late Saturday afternoon shooting session.

“Coach has been working us hard. It’ll help us out,” Collins added, noting Friday’s practice classified as the toughest all season.

“He was on us. Every mistake there was a consequence for. We needed that to wake up. It was all right. I’m used to tough practices so I’m not bothered by that,” Collins said.

Freshman Tyshawn Taylor acknowledged that the atmosphere Saturday afternoon — coach Bill Self joked with Aldrich and Collins as they headed to treatment — was much better than after Thursday’s 71-64 defeat to the Bears.

“The bus ride was tough and it was a long ride home (from Oklahoma City),” Taylor said. “Everybody was disappointed and upset and a little bit embarrassed. We felt like we should have had that one, but we can’t dwell on it. We’ve got to look at the bigger picture now. We lost the conference tournament, but now it’s NCAA time. Coach (Self) liked the effort yesterday in practice and this morning.”

Self acknowledged he wasn’t fun to be around after the BU loss.

“We had a ‘mad’ day Thursday and a ‘mad’ day Friday. Now we’re not going to talk about that anymore,” he said.

“That was tough to swallow but we’ve got to move forward. We’ve got a bigger stage to play on Thursday or Friday (in first round of NCAA Tournament).”

• Bumps, bruises: Aldrich was quizzed some more about his injured left foot on Saturday. He still wears a boot to protect what he’s called a “stress reaction.”

“When I’m not on the court I’ve got it on,” he said of the boot, which he’s had about a month now. “When I’m off, it’s on.”

When will the boot be discarded?

“It could be tomorrow or next week, whenever the doctors say,” he said.

He indicated his injury, “doesn’t bother me at all (in games). It’s very minor. The boot is there to keep stress off my ankle. It immobilizes my ankle from the leg. The boot has done a great job with that.

“I’m feeling good,” he added, dispelling any talk he might be worn down. “I think it’s unfortunate we lost the other day but we’ve got to find positives out of it, find ways to get better as a team.”

Collins, meanwhile, suffered a bruised left leg while running through a screen in the second half against Baylor.

“I’m all right. He (unnamed Baylor player) got me good in the leg. I get banged here and there, take a few hits. Other than that, I’m all right,” Collins said.

• No special meetings: Team-leader Collins hasn’t called any players-only meetings since the Baylor loss.

“I don’t think it is needed,” he said. “Everybody knew we didn’t show up with energy and intensity so I think we knew what the importance of that was. We didn’t do it. I don’t think we’ll ever come out like that again.”

“We have kind of gathered as a team with coach, tried to figure things out, and put ourselves in the best position to be successful over the next three weeks,” Aldrich noted of regular pre- and post-practice talks with Self.

• Other games on TV: Aldrich said some of the Jayhawks have been watching conference tourney games.

“I watched Minnesota-Michigan State the other day,” he said of his hometown Gophers’ loss. “It was a tough game for Minnesota. I always root for those guys because I know a lot of them. We don’t get a chance to see all our buddies that play through the year. I like watching those guys.”

• Tourney talk: Some always say it’s beneficial when a team gets bounced from the league tourney early. That allows more time to gear up for the NCAAs.

“I thought the last three years the conference tournament was very, very important and this year obviously I didn’t think it was very important. I’m joking,” Self said.

“I don’t think any team goes into it thinking they need a break. I said before our tournament expect some weird things to happen. Of course, we were part of the weirdness.”

• 5 p.m. on CBS: KU’s players and coaches will watch the Selection Sunday show today in Allen Fieldhouse. The building is closed to the public.

“We’ll watch it in Allen Fieldhouse. That’s a pretty good spot,” Self said. “The last three years we watched it after we played (and won conference title games). That’s another one of the advantage of us being here is we’re not watching it in our sweats after a quick shower,” he added sarcastically.

• Recruiting: Self was in Columbia, Mo., on Saturday night to watch Bradley Beal, a 6-3 sophomore guard from St. Louis Chaminade High, compete in the Missouri state title game. He’s considering KU, Missouri, Florida, Illinois and Purdue.

Comments

sdoyel 10 years, 10 months ago

KICK THEIR AS*ES COACH! MAKE THEM LEARN THEIR LESSON!

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

"Ever tried? Ever failed? No Matter, try again, fail again, Fail better." --Samuel Beckett

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

"Self was in Columbia, Mo., on Saturday night to watch Bradley Beal, a 6-3 sophomore guard from St. Louis Chaminade High."

Talk about dealing with failure--imagine what it is like to try for as many players as college coaches try for and to land so few. This has to rank right down there with cold calling for clients.

Matt Bowers 10 years, 10 months ago

It shows a lot of guts for Self to go to Columbia, home of (screw) Mizzou. That shows the level of commitment Self brings to our program. Great job Coach getting the guys refocused. I have a ton of faith in our program and I think that we are going to shock some people.

Rock Chalk

melrank 10 years, 10 months ago

No Jayhawks in the finals makes for a boring Saturday on TV and less entertaining message board on Sunday. No offense to the LJW staff - just not as exciting.

So, I have a couple of questions that I'm sure someone knows the answer to:

1.) How many kids can you have on scholarship at any one time?

2.) Next year, will we be able to have the maximum amount?

3.) How many do we currently have on scholarship? I'm counting 12 - Collins, Aldrich, Morningstar, Reed, Morris, Morris, Taylor, Little, Appleton, Thomas, Releford, and I'm assuming Withey. That leaves 5 walk-ons? Teahan, Bechard, Jueneman, Buford, and Kleinmann. Is this correct?

number1jayhawker 10 years, 10 months ago

melrank, the max limit is 13. I'm not sure if we are still on probation next season.

We have given two out already so HCBS must be expecting someone to go league or he might not be granting one of the guys that is receiving one this school year, a scholly next year.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes Yes Yes! It's selection Sunday baby! KU definitely didn't help themselves in the seed category on Thursday, but maybe the rest of the nation screwing up as welll might just help the jayhawks. The only teams ranked ahead of the Jayhawks that didn't lose in the semis or quarterfinals of their conference tourney's were Louisvville, Memphis and Duke, which plays today. Duke, was in the spot competing against KU for that final #2 so I think Duke gets it now just because off their final appearance in the ACC. These are my seeds and I think they are pretty close. I am pretty confident about the top 2 seeds.

1)Louisville 1)UNC 1)Memphis' 1)Pitt

2)UConn 2)Duke 2)Mich State-They get it because have a head to head against KU 2)Ou-Still don't think OU deserves this when you don't win the tourney or conference and lose to both KU and MU, but the committee will say two of their losses came without Griffin at a crucial spot in the season.

3) KU-But I could actually see the committee putting KU at a 4 (Arghghghhghhg) 3) Washington-KU has a head to head over them 3) Mizzou-They deserve a 3, but for some reason I think they only helped themselves one see spot so before the tourney started they were a legit 4 or 5 seed. Mizzou fans actually think they deserve a 2. LOL! Hell, KU 3 years ago won 14 out of their last 15 games won the Big 12 tourney and regular season and still only managed a 3 seed. Mizzou is not getting any higher than a 3. 3)Nova Probably gets this spot

4)Syracuse could get this spot or they could take KU's 3 spot because they have a head to head win against the Jayhawks 4)Florida State-They are legit and deserve this spot 4)Gonzaga 4)Wake Forest-They also could replace one of the 3 seeds.

I think my top 2 seeds are pretty much right on, but it gets a little tricky with the 3 and 4 seeds.I don't know, I don't see much difference between a 2 and 3 seed, butt I see a huge difference between a 3 and 4 seed. It's a matter of being on the top or bottom line. Very hard to tell, but can't wait for 6 est. If KU is a 4 seed I want to be in UNC's bracket whereever that might be. Wouldn't surprise if it was in the East since that is where they play every year.

March 15, 2009 at 9:56 a.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

poo86 10 years, 10 months ago

Sherron Collins needs to Watch Johnny Flynn at the point Guard...Flynn shows how much patience he has wit the ball..he's like Chris Paul...Unlike Sherron..he goes to the cup only looking to score when he gets to the paint his dribble is picked up and alot of times he takes out-of-control layups instead of keeping his dribble and another thing about Collins. KU is not going to win if sherron collins is a one Dimensional Player..The Kid Clearly does not play defense..he only looks to score....that is a problem wit this team also...But Self lets him do what he wants to...Clearly Tyshawn Taylor has stepped his defense up tremendously..in the Baylor game jerrols was doing anything he wanted....to tell the truth Collins really hasn't guarded the Premiere POINTguards in college...so Collins has a lot of defense to play in order for KU to win!!!! Stop giving this kid ALL the credit when hes only a Scoring point guard who doesnt Play Defense well at all....

melrank 10 years, 10 months ago

number1 - thanks.

I think scholarships are renewed yearly as you suggest, but I'd find it hard to believe that we would not renew one unless it was voluntary - such as has been mentioned on this board before regarding Morningstar perhaps being willing to give up his.

It's totally plausible we could return everyone next year and would be one over. It seems a little risky to give scholarships based on the assumption players are going to the NBA (see Brandon Rush). I wonder if HCBS knows something we don't - transfer maybe?

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

poo86: I want you to clean the car, do the dishes, soap and clean the hardwoods, do the laundry, change the babies diapers, cook lunch and dinner, but not breakfast, mow the lawn, and then give your wife a massage. That's a lot to do, huh? Pretty tired after all that, huh? Same scenario with Sherron Colliins. You want him to do everything, plus guard the other teams's best guard or point guard and still expect him to produce the way he's been doing all season. Not realistic! Everyone is quick to blame Sherron Collins, but I'm quick to blame the rest of the team. When is the rest of the team going to "Catch-up" and play on the same level as Sherron Collins. They might never be able to so that is why we have to understand the "Limitations" with this team and automatically say that Sherron Collins is the problem. I'm sorry, but you can't do everything without a little help or an extra hand. Fortuantely, the team has stepped up in most situations except for a few spots (Baylor and Tech) , but when we do falter and become exploited by KU's limitations, everyone wants to blame Sherron Collins. Doesn't make sense and it's not worthy.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey poo - is that a walt disney or commode reference? either way it's fitting to your post. I'm excited you found your team this weekend.

I looked up the stats between Collins and Flynn and both are similar enough to prove "poo" refers to the commode. The comparison to Chris Paul is as "relative" as Miguel Paul's comments. Good job.

I look forward to a great tournament. The team will grow from their personally inflicted adversity and come out stronger. I don't feel there will be any lack of intensity this week.

Rock Chalk

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't it Collins who did such a good job against Rose in the championship game last year? I think we can consider him a good defender. When he doesn't, I suspect it's because Self has asked him to concentrate on something else and doesn't want him to wear himself out playing all-out defense. I think you're very mistaken saying he can't play defense.

cklarock 10 years, 10 months ago

@Poo88: Sherron drives and attacks with the ball in his hands because that's what he's been asked to do by Coach Self.

When Sherron attacks the basket is when he's the most dangerous, and causes the most problems for the opposing defense. On his day, he's virtually unstoppable, and if you allocate the resources to stopping him, it opens the game for other players.

Please don't be ignorant. Or are you a Wildtigercat? You don't like the way Coach has asked him to play, but don't pin it on Sherron.

Personally, I think he's the type of bulldog attack guard we've needed here since I've been watching (Larry Brown era), and it's no coincidence that Coach told him during recruiting (truthfully) that he was the final piece to a National Championship. What Sherron has done leading this young team this year has been phenomenal, and he's the main reason we just had to expand our trophy cabinet.

Come on Sherron, come on you 'Hawks! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

63Jayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Is Jeff Whithey on scholarship? If so, doesn't that make KU one over the limit for this year?

kranny 10 years, 10 months ago

I think Self has an agreement with the walk ons and the 9-13 scholly players.

KULA 10 years, 10 months ago

Did I read that right? Did they take a bus to the tournament? Don't they fly to away games? Anybody know how they travel?

Richard Fischer 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes they fly to all away games. The flight to K-State is a very long flight!

poo86 10 years, 10 months ago

what?????? Yea i understand Collins has a HUGE role to play....But Defense Wins games..and his Hot hands at shooting is not going to make KU win every game Geniuses...But its obvious if the KID cant guard as well than SUBSTITUTE for him sometimes so he can be able to guard down the stretch...the guard play from every team has been killing us this season...yea flynn and sherron stats might be almost the same but johnny flynn shows he can PLAY DEFENSE as well as do shoot, make teammates better, lead, and all that other stuff u were talking about( KUSHAW).....SELF has a SIX man Rotation that is very DUMB...Im a TRUE jayhawk Fan but if Self continues to run in only 2 off the bench..we're going to lose really early in the tournament....U see every other College squad rrun in at leat 4 off the bench.....the players on the bench dont have CONFIDENCE because they DONT see the Floor ENOUGH..this is not the team from last year PEOPLE...i understood why Self only Ran Sherron in Last Year..because we had the Caliber team....This Year we're Young..so why run this Six man rotation like we're some type of NBA team....people wake up...Self's system this year is all Unorganized... to go 25-7 shouldn't been a Surprise...Just Go take a look at this years schedule.. its not that COMPETITIVE!!...LETs Be REAL!

poo86 10 years, 10 months ago

I know we're going to get Past North Dakota on Fri..But WV is very lanky and athletic...If Self continues to ((ONLY))run in Tyrel Reed off the bench......WV going to have a Field day....Lets SEE what we do with a team like that!!!!!

Even if Releford, Appleton, Thomas, Morris, Little dont see that much action- their on scholarship ..PUT THE KIDS ON THE FLOOR...LET THEM GET A TASTE OF UR SIX MAN ROTATION SELF....and its obvious that when Releford, little, Morris, and Appleton doesnt see floor enough) but still feels the KID should be playing more at PG to bag up Sherron Collins when hes out there about to fall on his face...Self Pulls these Kids right off the court when they make a mistake....Brady, Tyshawn, Sherron, Cole- Mistake aw its OK just keep playing...that not FAIR at all..Tyshawn is not a PG SELF...KU doesnt eevn USE it BACKUP..WTF is that about???????????????????

poo86 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey, (Fairgrove Jayhawk).-..Aw yea, Did You Fail to realize that the whole Syracuse starting Five is averaging DOUBLE FIGURES in POINT PER GAME...Flynn 18.0ppg, Devendorf 15.9ppg, Paul Harris 12.7 ppg, andy rautins 10.5 ppg, and Arinze Onuakau 10.3 ppg...So what do you have to say now??? So like i said Flynn scores and flynn has enough stamina and Heart to PLAY Defense and Flynn is only a sophomore!