Friday, March 13, 2009

Collins a Wooden candidate

— Kansas Unversity’s Sherron Collins is among the finalists for the John R. Wooden Award as college basketball’s player of the year. The final ballot was announced Thursday.

Also on the ballot: Tyler Hansbrough of North Carolina, Davidson’s Stephen Curry, Luke Harangody of Notre Dame, North Carolina’s Ty Lawson, Pittsburgh teammates DeJuan Blair and Sam Young, and Duke teammates Gerald Henderson and Kyle Singler, Memphis’ Tyreke Evans, A.J. Abrams of Texas, Jon Brockman of Washington, Nick Calathes of Florida, UCLA’s Darren Collison, Blake Griffin of Oklahoma, James Harden of Arizona State, Jordan Hill of Arizona, Kalin Lucas of Michigan State, Jerel McNeal of Marquette, Kentucky’s Jodie Meeks, Jeff Teague of Wake Forest, Hasheem Thabeet of Connecticut, Marcus Thornton of Louisiana State, and Terrence Williams of Louisille.

Comments

mojayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Sorry Sherron, but not this year. Next year you won't have to carry the team from the beginning of the season. You'll have better opportunity to be a well rounded point guard who can not only handle the ball, but be able to distribute and trust your teammates from the gitgo. Great year, but you had too much pressure to be the "everything guy" this year. Congrats on a great year and good luck at the Dance!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 10 months ago

I'm guessing the ballots were cast before yesterdays game.

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 10 months ago

^

Good call, 7782!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Sherron. I have often stated that there is not another college PG in the nation that I would rather have than Collins. But that's based on his talent, not his actual production. I can count on one hand the number of players on this list that I can legitimately argue have not performed better than Sherron this year.

Collins, if you can get really, really serious about conditioning this offseason (190lbs, < 6% BF), and devote yourself to improving your defense and honing your immense play-making skills, YOU can win this award next year.

mandomax 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't think Sherron's conditioning has anything to do with it. He leads the team in minutes, followed closely by Morningstar and then Aldrich in a close third. What Sherron needs to focus on is better decision making, and keeping his head cool. I agree with mojayhawk, next year when he doesn't feel so much pressure to be THE big playmaker on the team, he will be better right from the start in getting the ball to the player with the best chance of scoring, as opposed to taking guarded or distance threes like this year. That being said, when he was on fire I was happy to have him with the ball in his hands, but against some teams when he is not ('Cuse, Baylor), he is a liability until he starts making better gametime decisions.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

"No, wait, this can't be! The hypocrites! Don't they know that Sherron is too dumb and undisciplined to be a good point guard, or good leader, or be nominated for the Wooden award?"--Theutus

Just kidding. Theutus did not say this. I was just doing my Theutus impression for kicks.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations Mr. Collins, I appreciate your hard work and helping guide a young team to a good year. Thank you.