Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sooners’ Capel challenges Jayhawks

OU coach: Let’s see Kansas play us

There isn't a single scholarship player on the Kansas men's basketball team that has lost a game in the Big 12 Tournament.

Oklahoma basketball coach Jeff Capel grew a bit defensive when asked about the Sooners’ recent slump, which has included three losses in five games.

“You take Sherron Collins off Kansas, and let’s see them beat Texas,” Capel said in an article in the Denver Post. “Let’s see them (Jayhawks) come down here and play us when we’re fully healthy.”

Capel’s challenge will be accepted by the Jayhawks if they and the Sooners are able to win two games apiece and advance to Saturday’s finals of the Big 12 tournament at Oklahoma City’s Ford Center.

“I’d like to get another chance to play them,” KU junior guard Sherron Collins said. “We knew people were going to say that if we won (it was because Griffin was sidelined with concussion). It happened. He wasn’t able to play, which wasn’t our fault. I’d like to meet them again.”

First things first.

KU will meet either Baylor or Nebraska in a first-round tourney clash at 11:30 a.m. Thursday. A victory would propel KU into a 6 p.m. Friday matchup against either Texas, Colorado or Kansas State. Finals are 5 p.m. Saturday.

“We know anybody can beat anybody in this tournament,” Collins said.

Top-four seeds KU, OU, Missouri and Kansas State receive first-round byes Wednesday.

“I think we still don’t get the respect we’re supposed to get,” Collins said, aware many pundits are picking a healthy Griffin and his Sooners to win the event. “We’re not even the favorite, and we just won the conference. It’s our motivation. Nobody thinks we’re supposed to win. It’s what we’re going to try to do.

“We won the conference championship. Nobody gave it to us. It’s not like it was placed in our hands. We’ve got the best record . We were the best team in the (Big 12) regular season.”

Comments

prairie_rattler 10 years, 10 months ago

What perfect timing!... any doubts I had about winning the Big XII tournament have been erased! Thank you, Mr. Capel.

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

Glad to hear that he's overlooking Missouri...

Michael Auchard 10 years, 10 months ago

Nothing like billboard material for a young, hungry team. Sherron "The Bulldog" Collins doesn't need any help to break his chain!

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"He reminded reporters that Blake Griffin missed half of a 73-68 setback at Texas and all of a 87-78 home loss to Kansas University because of injury."

...and tactically failed to mention the fact that he lost to Missouri with Blake Griffin... who they will meet if Missouri beats the winner of game 4 and they beat the winner of Game 3. 3.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 10 months ago

Nation knows, North carolina knows, Memphis knows... but Mr. Capel, Bill self's team loves challenges! I bet Cole is going to be pumped up after what Mr. Capel just said.

Anyways check this out about AFH. Good story i have read in a while.

mbmerriman 10 years, 10 months ago

is someone bitter about not winning coach of the year?

actorman 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the post, Caramel. It's a nice article, but I could do without the tired reference to the Wizard of Oz and the constant geographic stereotypes of the flatlands, prairies and slow pace of Lawrence.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 10 months ago

Capel's team has to get there first. their road is tougher than ours. Okie St and/or Mizzou could beat them.

And his team isn't actually setting the world on fire right now. I hope it happens, because that means we'll be in the finals too.

jchawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

I know there is some games to be played before a KU-OU rematch but evidently Capel needs to ask Cookie Miller and Nebraska and the entire Mizzu following what happens when you rattle the Lion cage. If my memory serves me correct it didn't end good for either one of them.

Paul Meyer 10 years, 10 months ago

Random Question: When was the last time fans stormed onto the court at Allen Fieldhouse? Has it ever happened?

biggbear 10 years, 10 months ago

Last time I remember it happening would be Texas in the 2002-03 season when Collison dropped 20 and 20 (don't remember the actual stats) on them. It was more like a sprinkling of the court though as the majority of the crowd started booing.

Mike Johns 10 years, 10 months ago

This will not only fire up the jayhawks but it is sure to fire up every team that he is overlooking on the road to the champinship game.

Joel Hood 10 years, 10 months ago

When KU rushed the court in 2002-03, the practice was much more in vogue than now. And many of the KU students stayed in the stands and booed the ones who rushed the court. KU students, especially the campers, don't typically tolerate bush-league antics.

areyouserious 10 years, 10 months ago

Just another reason Capel didn't get selected for Coach of the Year! Thank you Jeff, we appreciate it!

RyanHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

PaulDMeyer:

The people that watched the National Championship game in Allen fieldhouse last year stormed the court! It was awesome about 10,000 fans went crazy! That probably doesn't count as actual storming the court but a good memory to have!

Capel:

You have just won Coach of the Tournament for stirring the pot! Why would you say that as a coach. I could see a player saying that but Capel.

Coaching 101:

Don't give the other team bulletin board material! Especially if they have won the Conference 5 straight times and the Tournament 3 straight times!

COJHawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Not a surprising comment from someone who played at Duke. Should be called 'Entitlement University'.

Greg Lux 10 years, 10 months ago

One game at a time ... We may never meet OU in the tourn. But if we do I like our chances VERY MUCH!... My biggest concern is staying healthy through out the rest of the year. We need all hand on deck to sail this ship into the port at Detroit April 4th.

Rock Chalk

Mike Crosbie 10 years, 10 months ago

After our loss at TT, some of their players said that reading Collins comments about wanting to celebrate in their locker room really motivated them. Bulletin boad material from players happens.....but from the COACH???? That's not a very good example, I have a feeling that OU will make an early exit, because their coach is already preparing for us and they have one or two games to play before he should be doing that. I'm sure Fizzou doesn't like the comment. WOW Bulletin Board material for THREE teams in ONE statement....Good luck Capel !!!!!!

txphog 10 years, 10 months ago

And I thought Texas had the market cornered on excuses.

Bring it on, Dukie.

KUballer 10 years, 10 months ago

Ok? Same thing can be said about the Sooners without Griffin. If you take the teams’ best player away obviously they are not going to be as good. Capel is a genius.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Stats in a theoretical matchup between Aldrich / Griffin

Pts. Griffin 15, Aldrich 12

Rebounds Aldrich 15, Griffin 8

Block shots Griffin 2, Aldrich 6

Advantage Aldrich because of his defensive presence and free throw shooting.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 10 months ago

Collins statement was taken out of context (responded to a question as to whether he would be disappointed if they won the title away from home), so maybe Capel's was also. But who cares if it works for us.

Bill Klein 10 years, 10 months ago

like to see a coach call out a team that has 2 frosh, 2 sophs and a jr starting. Class act

monarchs20 10 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron,

Everyone overlooks mizzou for well earned reasons. There is no greater tradition of underachieving than that of the tigers. Your most famous sports moments are Tyus Edney, the fifth down, Matt Davison kicking the ball up in the endzone, Arthur Johnson getting rejected by the rim etc. All losses. You fail always, win something before you demand respect, I fully expect aTm to beat you again on Thursday before you ever get to OU.

Gerard Martinez 10 years, 10 months ago

What is Jeff Capel's excuse when they lost to Missouri on March 4th 64-73. That was with Blake Griffin

jchawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Anyone have any idea what radio station will carry the Big 12 tourny games around Wichita??

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 10 months ago

Capel,

Stop making excuses. I doubt your team will even make it to the championship game. I would take it one game at a time bro.

monarchs20- I still laugh about Arthur Johnson getting rejected by the rim and falling on his ass. Hilarious!

KU 10 years, 10 months ago

Not sure about that theoretical matchup between Aldrich and Griffin. Griffin is the archetypical quick, athletic big man that gives Aldrich fits. See the Arizona game, for example. It would definitely be a contrast in styles.

kuhawk07 10 years, 10 months ago

great to see jeff capel admits he has a one man team. If i remember correctly a few years ago ku was missing a guy named wayne simien and that team went into rupp and beat kentucky team that has three guys in the NBA. Great teams with more than one player find a way to win the tough games. To bad OU isn't one of them and they love to whine about how unfair it is.

Kevin John 10 years, 10 months ago

CAPEL, TAKE YOUR BUTT BACK TO DUKE!!! IT'S IN YOUR BLOOD 2 LOSE 1ST. AND 2ND. ROUNDS. COACH K HAS SUM WISE ADVICE 4 YOU IM SURE. YOU JUST ADDED GASOLINE TO THE FLAME. ROCK, CHALK, JAYHAWK!!!

JayJayPG 10 years, 10 months ago

If OSU can get past ISU, I like their chances against OU this time around (after seeing how close they came in Norman on Senior Day).

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

KU -

I'm not disregarding Griffin's superior athletic ability, but we've seen what Aldrich can accomplish on the defensive end of the court ala Psyco T last year in the tourney. I don't think you will shut Griffin down, but if Aldrich is pumped up and ready for the challenge, he is quite a force inside defensively for someone like Griffin. Point well taken, however.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

The reason Jeff Capel didn't win Coach of the Year is because he worked really hard to get one of the best teams in the country to underachieve down the stretch and play their way out of a gift-wrapped conference title and number 1 seed. Now THAT'S a coaching feat. Congrats, Mr. Capel.

Aaron Rosenthal 10 years, 10 months ago

Jeff Capel is showing his youth. Maybe a sign of the times too, where talk is cheap and action is undervalued. Even players really shouldn't make those comments publicly. But a head coach in the Big 12? That's beneath the office.

You wanna show people how good your team is? Go out and win games. You wanna get your team motivated? Yell a little in the locker room. I don't think Coach K would like that junk.

jaybate 10 years, 10 months ago

jaybate challenges Capel: Self won a national championship with Brandon Rush out much more than Blake has been out, and Self won a conference with Mario Little never able to play to his abilities, with Cole with an ankle injury, and Sherron with an elbow injury. Coach Capel, quit making injury excuses and prove it on the floor.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 10 months ago

Bigbear,

I remember, I was at the 20/20 Collison game. And yes, I was one of fans who booed.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 10 months ago

Actually, the last time it happened was Last April on the Night of the National CHampionship Game! ROCK CHALK CHAMPIONSHIP!

jncarlsbad 10 years, 10 months ago

From San Diego - My buddy was out here from KC with his KU shirt on and we saw someone walking around while we were in the car with a Missouri shirt on. My friend put his head out the window saying " Hey Missouri, what's that make it, Big 12 champs 5 years in a row"! I wish everyone could of saw this guy's face! It was CLASSIC!

Oh, yea, bring it Oklahoma. Stop whining Capel!

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"Omegatron,

Everyone overlooks mizzou for well earned reasons. There is no greater tradition of underachieving than that of the tigers."

So in your opinion. You want Capel to overlook that Mizzou because Mizzou has a history of choking?

Brilliant.

Any other tactical advise you wish to give OU on how to play post season tournaments? Like overlooking OSU because they beat them twice this year?

And in the present, last week Mizzou beat OU 73-64 with Blake Griffin.

Here's the link to the recap since you missed it.

If I was an OU alum I'd be demanding that the coach concentrate on beating OSU and Mizzou first before looking ahead to KU.

"Your most famous sports moments are Tyus Edney, the fifth down, Matt Davison kicking the ball up in the endzone, Arthur Johnson getting rejected by the rim etc. All losses. You fail always, win something before you demand respect, I fully expect aTm to beat you again on Thursday before you ever get to OU."

I'm a KU alum. If I was a mizzou fan, I wouldn't be here.

But thanks for showing that you don't really read people's comments and history's before you post your assumptions.

monarchs20 10 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"Why wouldn't you overlook mizzou? It's mizzou, you would think a KU alum would know that."

Rule number one when playing a post season tournament. Never overlook anyone. That guarantees an upset and an early exit.

I don't want to see anyone else besides OU in the championship game.

But if he's going to concentrate on KU and not get his ducks in order. KU is going to be seeing OSU, A&M, or Mizzou in the championship game.

ponderos 10 years, 10 months ago

If the author of this article had bothered to link to the Denver Post story (which I shall now do):

... some might have read that Capel wasn't necessarily challenging KU's manhood. Rather, he was making the comparison of taking the best player off their team and seeing how they would fare without him.

thelastjhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Off hand this sounds like a challenge from a coach who is young and hungry... But really - what if the situation was reversed? Can you imagine such excuses coming from Self? I truly cannot envision him saying, "well we would have beat them if Sherron hadn't been out." This guy is classless.

mdwinkler 10 years, 10 months ago

WE BEAT THEM IN OKLAHOMA...Missing blake griffen for a home game..still should not have lost...if ku lost without aldrich or collins at home no excuse, on the road different..OU lost at HOME

dhawk31 10 years, 10 months ago

I am really surpised that coach Capel said this. He should get his chance next saturday to try and prove his team is better. Let your players shows us, you don't need to get defensive that we beat u on your home court. Seems a little classless for him to say stuff like that. Could you imagine Coach Self saying that...no. I don't think so...Can't wait, bring it on!

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 10 months ago

I love that Capel said this. And even if he hadn't said anything, we would still be the underdogs which would still fire our team up. I remember when we played Texas at AFH and Kevin Durant messed up his ankle or something. We ended up beating them but of course it was because Durant was injured and wasn't 100%. So after that I really wanted them to play Texas again in the tournament. It was kinda scary because of course Texas would want revenge. But what happened? We beat Texas WITH Kevin Durant. So I really hope we advance to the championship and OU advances to the championship because I would LOVE to prove everyone wrong about us only beating OU because Blake Griffin didn't play. GO JAYHAWKS!

P.S. Does anyone know when the first round games start tomorrow?

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"p.s. Does anyone know when the first round games start tomorrow?"

Game 1 - 11:30 am

Game 2 - 2:00 pm

Game 3 - 6:00 pm

Game 4 - 8:30 pm

jhwkfanincali 10 years, 10 months ago

Not only did we beat them in Norman, we did it coming from behind by almost 20 points. With or without Billy Goat Gruffs, no team should blow that lead at home in a conference game.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

Capel is young and will learn from this. Instead of slamming all the other programs, why don't us fans encourage them to be great! KU needs a consistant challenger every year. Duke has Carolina, the Big East schools have each other, UCLA has Arizona. Who has been consistant in the Big XII in recent years. OU, MU, KSU, and Nebraska need to keep thier coaches in place and let them develop their programs worthy of challenging the Hawks. I'm getting tired of ESPN saying year in and year out the Big East and ACC are better than the Big XII. Having consistancy from the other schools would help KU tremendously.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 10 months ago

Be careful what you ask for. We're just so used to dominating you Sooner bums, it really doesn't matter who plays. Look at the ring. I mean the '88 ring. Too bad that OU will get knocked off before the finals anyway.

beakem_in_LA 10 years, 10 months ago

Omegatron,

"History is history, what happened in the past is what happened in the past. Only thing that matters is the present."

Ummm... I kinda like our history. I'd say it matters, especially when comparing (or rather contrasting) two schools like Kansas and, let's say, Missouri.

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 10 months ago

Actually it is now 52 conference championships...right? I don't want to say that and then be totally wrong.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 10 months ago

Oh baby! If you can't get fired up over this then you don't have a pulse. Capel better put on the brass jock strap just like his players, it will be needed for protection, even on the bench.

Loved the article from Caramel. While I think all the scoreboard upgrades were much needed and are good, I wish AFH still had the distinct horn/buzzer, it was uniquely Kansas.

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"Omegatron,

I agree that the present matters because you can influence what happens in the moment. But let's don't forget about our 13 Final Four banners and 51 conference championships and five national titles and 1,950+ wins. Is that enough, or should I keep going?"

And KU's history is going to help OU get to the championship game how?

Omegatron 10 years, 10 months ago

"Omegatron,

Ummm... I kinda like our history. I'd say it matters..."

Actually it doesn't. According to Soonerstats.com OU and Mizzou are 5 and 5 in their last ten games.

So when they play, it'll be anybody's ball game.

So comparing how KU does against Mizzou to how well OU will do against Mizzou is like comparing apples to oranges.

So again. When it comes to OU vs. Mizzou. History is history, what happened in the past is what happened in the past. Only thing that matters is the present.

David Howell 10 years, 10 months ago

Mr. Capel,

Hey dumbass, now you sound as dumb as you look. Meet us in the championship and we will give it our best shot. From what I've seen from Blake we just would need to put Blake on the FT line where he sucks.

Let's see you talking tough when BG is gone next year. Oh boo frickin hoo. Please retire coach K so I can go coach at Dukie where I don't see Dickie V being as in love with you as he is Coach K !

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

I am also surprised he said something like this. I'm sure Coach K taught him that it is poor form to use injuries as an excuse, even if it is true. We've had injury problems, too. Who knows what this team would be like if Mario Little hadn't had his stress fracture.

jayhawkliz 10 years, 10 months ago

Pretty cocky is he not, Capel! That kind of talk could bite him in the arse!