Sunday, March 8, 2009

ISU women rout Kansas

KU women's basketball head coach Bonnie Henrickson

KU women's basketball head coach Bonnie Henrickson

— Nicky Wieben had 20 points and nine rebounds as No. 23 Iowa State closed out the regular season with a 59-49 victory over Kansas University on Saturday night.

It was the fourth straight victory by the Cyclones (23-7, 11-5), who opened the scoring with a three-pointer by Amanda Nisleit and never trailed.

ISU led by as many as 17 points in the second half.

Danielle McCray scored 27 points and grabbed 11 boards for the Jayhawks (17-12, 6-10), who shot 38 percent from the field.

She was the Jayhawks’ only double-digit scorer.

Kansas had its four-game winning streak ended.

KU pulled within seven on a Krysten Boogaard putback with 9:30 to play, but ISU pulled away to an 11-point lead, and the gap never fell below double digits again.

Comments

Cody Stumma 11 years, 2 months ago

So... a 10 point victory is now considered a Rout?

jco8394 11 years, 2 months ago

That's what I was about to ask....Especially a 10 point loss to a Top 25 team in Hillton

Omegatron 11 years, 2 months ago

Rout http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rout

(a) A disorderly retreat or flight following defeat.

(b) An overwhelming defeat.

Can't be (b) because it was a ten point game... So that leaves us with (a)....

Omegatron 11 years, 2 months ago

... and can't say that the 17 points ISU got to during the second half meets the definition of (b) because that wasn't the final outcome.

10 points is not a deficit so large that it cannot be overcome on any given night...

scmitchem 11 years, 2 months ago

I also disagree with the title of this article.

Phillbert 11 years, 2 months ago

Yes, the headline isn't appropriate given the final score, but it is the LJW so...

I'd just like to point out that Iowa State had 12,000 people at their Senior Night.

KU, the home of basketball and home of all this great basketball tradition, had 3,000 at our Senior Night win over Baylor.

If KU averaged 9,000 fans per night like ISU does, that would make a huge difference for home games. (And I don't buy that it is simply based on team performance - ISU has consistently had very large crowds for WBB from season to season. Last year they were 7-9 in conference and averaged 9,300 fans a game.)

It would be great to see even half as much support for KU women's basketball as the Cyclones show for their team.

Omegatron 11 years, 2 months ago

LJW can insult all they want. They can wish the women disappeared for all I care.

As long as Perkins has the same big time, big picture, attitude as me, I don't care what the LJW thinks.

Duke, North Carolina, UConn.

Those schools have dominate programs in both Men and Women Basketball. Those schools have both programs in the national spotlight every year with large number of games on national sports channels like ESPN.

You can't talk about the post season in either without those schools being in the discussion. That's not the case with KU.

That's what makes those schools better then ours! As far as the nation is concerned.

And Duke and North Carolina are also trying to turn around their respective football programs (Not sure about UConn).

As long as Perkin's goals are to have KU become as dominate in those three sports, thus getting KU on par with those three schools, and others, LJW low opinion of women basketball is of no consequence to me.

I support this coach. I think shes on the edge of meeting my high expectations. Next year I hope she gets over the hump and into the tournament.

Omegatron 11 years, 2 months ago

I also want dominance in other sports such as baseball, but dominance in those three sports first will have a trickle down effect...

LeBo 11 years, 2 months ago

WNIT hear we come! Hopefully, we will get to host a couple of home games. Next season looks like a serious bubble team for the NCAA tourney.

Jack Hoover 11 years, 2 months ago

ISU women pack the joint usually. They are number 3 this year in attendence. IF you factor in the mens team ISU actually sells more seats then Kansas does with their mens and womens teams. Hilton magic! Heck, wait till the men get better, we will really pile em in. ib