Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Gooden to sign with Spurs

— Barring an unforeseen snag, Drew Gooden will be joining the San Antonio Spurs later this week, according to NBA front-office sources. Sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Gooden — waived Sunday by the Sacramento Kings before the midnight deadline to be eligibile to play in the playoffs with another team — has made known his intent to sign with San Antonio after clearing waivers Wednesday.

Gooden was pursued by several playoff-bound teams this week, including San Antonio's divisional rivals in Dallas and New Orleans.

The primary concern with Gooden is his health. He averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with Chicago and posted 12 points and 13 rebounds in his only game with Sacramento, but the 27-year-old has been plagued by a stubborn groin injury that could limit his ability to help the Spurs immediately.

Comments

InfiniteJ 10 years, 10 months ago

I was kinda hoping Drew would sign with the Celtics......

Fred Davis 10 years, 10 months ago

This is great for Drew... While he's never panned out to be the NBA player I thought he would be coming out of KU, the guy is still a double-double threat when he's healthy and on the floor...

JayhawkPhil64 10 years, 10 months ago

Although a little goofy at times, Drew was one of the more enjoyable personalities to play for KU. I am very happy he caught on with another team, particularly a good one, and hope he gets to play several more years in the league.

d_prowess 10 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know if there is any kind of story behind Drew's beard? The thing is crazy and while I am not going to pretend like I know fashion or trends, I don't feel like I see this as being something that others are doing either. Just curious if he has ever been asked or talked about it...

Jaminrawk 10 years, 10 months ago

I seriously called this when talking with my friend the day he got cut by the Kings. I said, "If he's smart he'll sign with the Spurs". Playing with Duncan and Parker is gonna be a great experience for him. Maybe Duncan can show him a few things to up his game. Gooden is a solid player, I hope he gets a ring.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 10 months ago

d_prowess - Gooden's beard is actually based on a bet he has/had going with DeShawn Stephenson. They wanted to see who could go the longest before shaving.

Appoggiatura 10 years, 10 months ago

Glad to have a fellow Hawk in Drew here in SA. Good job not signing with ESPN's Boston Celtics. Come on down and win a ring. Drew will fit right in with Timmy, Tony and Manu.

David Friend 10 years, 10 months ago

You really wonder why Drew has bounced around the league.. Although not astounding numbers he puts up solid numbers.. I do not buy the injury statement at all.

dcmander 10 years, 10 months ago

Jacques and Drew together in SA...did they have 1 year together at KU?

d_prowess 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the heads up, Jaminrawk. I found even more great stuff about all of Drew's crazy hair experiments here, http://nba.fanhouse.com/2008/10/31/drew-gooden-reveals-new-beards-inspiration/.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 10 months ago

Jacque Vaughn? Gooden never overlapped with him at KU.