Originally published March 4, 2009 at 09:59a.m., updated March 4, 2009 at 06:37p.m.

City Commission will take up renaming Missouri Street north of Memorial Stadium

A bitter rivalry and a respected coach could prompt city leaders to change the name of a Lawrence road.

Missouri St. renaming proposal resurfaces

Commissioner Sue Hack discusses the possibility of renaming a portion of Missouri Street at Tuesday night's meeting.

Maybe it was Sunday’s thrashing of Missouri on the hardwoods that brought this idea up again.

Whatever it was, city commissioners soon may consider renaming two blocks of Missouri Street to honor former Kansas University football coach and eternal Missouri-hater Don Fambrough.

Commissioner Sue Hack on Tuesday night asked city staff to place the issue on a future agenda item before she leaves office on April 14.

The idea is to rename just the portion of Missouri Street that leads into KU’s Memorial Stadium — basically the section from Ninth to 11th streets.

The idea has come up before, but it’s never gained enough traction. Concerns about residents having to change their mailing addresses have been mentioned. The street is also in an old part of town, and part of Lawrence’s history is its street names.

But Hack said she’s had several people ask her about the change, and she would like an up or down vote on the idea before she leaves office. She’s not seeking re-election.

Chris Kennedy moved to the 900 block of Missouri Street about a week ago. He said he thought renaming the section of street would be a fitting tribute to coach Fambrough. “I’m 100 percent for it,” he said. “Don Fambrough is a Lawrence legend and a hero, and he deserves to be honored.”

Comments

barackchalkjhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Love it. Now that's the Change we need.

Martini_Boy 5 years, 5 months ago

Here's a vote for a new street name coach Fambough would like, Muck Fizzou Street.... Tongue in cheek folks OK......

Michael Auchard 5 years, 5 months ago

Change the whole street's name to John Brown Blvd. You will never see more public support in your entire career, Ms. Hack.

ajs10 5 years, 5 months ago

Perfect, I wish I could vote on this.

cklarock 5 years, 5 months ago

I live on that stretch of Missouri, and I will be 100% behind you, Mrs. Hack! Fambrough FTW!

irish2255 5 years, 5 months ago

i'll pay for peoples new address labels. get it done

Martini_Boy 5 years, 5 months ago

Hate to be a comment pig, BUT this is such a fun subject. I don't know about (I hate typing this name out) missouri street for this, but could we do a Rock Chalk Blvd somewhere??!!!

blindrabbit 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm all for Fambrough getting his due; but my guess is that to get the most satisfaction (bang for the buck so to speak) from the name change is to have Missouri actually play KU home games in Lawrence, so they would have to traverse.  Does not sound like that is going to happen at least as long a Lew is A.D.  Maybe a new chancellor with actual KU allegiences could make some movement in that direction.  Carl,  the other big player for the change is gone!

Another suggested change, petition Mayor Funkhouser to rename the road around Arrowhead Stadium "PAID FOR BY K.U. FANS DRIVE". I wonder if Coach F. attends our home games there.

mdfraz 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't think of a more appropriate way to honor Coach Fam, and this is a perfect location to do it. I've been hearing about/hoping for this to happen for a long time, and I'd also chip in for new mailing labels for those whose addresses change. :)

hometownhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

All the City Commission should have to do is look at the comments below this article. I have never seen such universal agreement on LJW/KUsports. Now, I'm sure there are those out there who aren't in favor of this, but the vast majority can appreciate it for what it is - a nice honor for a very deserving man. And as for messing up the state names on the streets, there is still plenty of stretches that would retain the name, just not 9th thru 11th.

bigjaybabyjay 5 years, 5 months ago

The kusports.com comments agree it should be done. The LJW website on the otherhand does not. Check out the comments under the LJW article: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/mar...

Everyone show your support on the LJW forum!

KUbsee69 5 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone know if missouri street existed in 1863? If not, how did Larryville ever get a street named missouri anyway.

Change it!!!

Alan Braun 5 years, 5 months ago

Change it! Even though Lawrence has a bunch of other state-named streets, I think it's an obscenity to have one named "Missouri", especially in light of Quantrill's "urban renewal" efforts. And nobody deserves to have the honor more than Coach Fam.

FLJayhawk08 5 years, 5 months ago

I love this idea! I lived on Missouri St. for 2 years and although I loved my apartment, I loathed the fact that I lived on a street that bears the name of our biggest rival. Please just change the whole street not just 9th through 11th! I am sure other people who live/lived on this street would be be in total agreement.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 5 months ago

Get it done but rename the entire street.

TxJyHwk 5 years, 5 months ago

KUbsee69 - the history behind the state street names is that they are in the order the states joined the union.

Ben Kane 5 years, 5 months ago

I actually think this would be unfortunate. I hate misery too, and I love coach Fam, but let's name another street after him. I think he should be honored but not at the sake of sacrificing some of the uniqe history that makes Lawrence so awesome.

Jake Powell 5 years, 5 months ago

How did this not get done long ago??

I think we should rename the road to Douglas County Jail as well. How 'bout the Jevon Crudup Gray Bar Blvd ? Or the Stephon Hannah Steel Jaw Expressway??

mcorti 5 years, 5 months ago

yeah, i mean, the street might as well be currently named "poop" street, because that would be better then missouri street.

Jared Grillot 5 years, 5 months ago

Not only would this be really cool, but it would add another story to tell, when you're giving your kids and grandkids a tour before the game, add it to the stories that the Student Ambassadors can tell... add to the legends and traditions that make up the KU story.

Do it.

prairie_dog 5 years, 5 months ago

I am surprised this has not happened ALREADY!!! Moving at a nice leisurely government pace, I suppose.

Fambrough Way or Street is just about right.

"Missouri" is an obscenity in Free State country; it should have been changed long ago.

CarterFaucheaux 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm 100% for this.

Get it done, commissioners!

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 5 months ago

Great Idea. And if the commission gets cold feet, maybe add a word atfter or before Missouri. I like Fambrough Drive though. If there is an Oklahoma Street, how about naming that one after John Brown or maybe "Chokelahoma". Nebraska?

And for the coup de gras, On Fambrough Drive all stop signs and lights are replaced by roundabouts, cause there is no stopping the Jayhawks!!!!

actorman 5 years, 5 months ago

"the history behind the state street names is that they are in the order the states joined the union."

I've always liked that idea, but how great would it be if we had every state EXCEPT Misery?

kc_wildfire 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah because there just aren't any other problems in Lawrence for the Commission to try and resolve.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 5 months ago

Missouri didn't join the Union. Unfortunately, they were dragged in, so as far as keeping the order of states joining the union, no big deal. Besides, just like there is no 13th floor on an elevator, bad karma and demons need to be exorcised.

pizzaboy225 5 years, 5 months ago

I've always wondered why there was a Missouri Street in Lawrence. Even if it's only a section of the street, it would be a huge improvement.

Kent Kossoy 5 years, 5 months ago

I am originally from St. Louis. Glad that I went to KU. And would rather lose a dozen games to KState than one to Mizzou. I hate Mizzou and if changing the name means that Missouri will succeed from the Union.....then go for it.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 5 months ago

Why is it that some people seem to think that you cannot have some levity and tackle some lighter issues without sacrificing the weightier issues? I guess some people are taking "enhancements" too frequently. Just remember, that those enhancements do nothing for ones b@lls.

s6u6r6f 5 years, 4 months ago

Change it. Fambrough Drive for the stadium adjacent portion, John Brown Blvd. for the rest. The citizenry and the post office are smart enough to figure out the rest. In Lawrence, having an address on Missouri Street is the equivalent of living on Rapist Drive.

s6u6r6f 5 years, 4 months ago

And njjayhawk has a good point: Falkenstein is a better choice than Fambrough. Max it out.

Designer 5 years, 4 months ago

Two comments: 1. Does nobody fully understand what a burden this puts upon the homeowners on Missouri street? Try changing all of your personal documents, homewowner insurance, car insurance, health insurance, all credit cards, all online banking, all online purchasing, possibly even your mortgage papers, over one silly proposal. 2. Why are we perpetuating that Missouri hate and stooping so low? We are much classier people and much better than that!!!

Kent Kossoy 5 years, 4 months ago

Hello??? I lived in Missouri for 21 years, 11 before I graduated from KU. Missourians hate KU. I have classmates from medical school that would not talk to me because I had graduated from KU. I do not believe that there is a street in Columbia named Kansas! Falkenstein is a better choice, though.