Originally published March 4, 2009 at 09:59a.m., updated March 4, 2009 at 06:37p.m.

City Commission will take up renaming Missouri Street north of Memorial Stadium

A bitter rivalry and a respected coach could prompt city leaders to change the name of a Lawrence road.

Missouri St. renaming proposal resurfaces

Commissioner Sue Hack discusses the possibility of renaming a portion of Missouri Street at Tuesday night's meeting.

Maybe it was Sunday’s thrashing of Missouri on the hardwoods that brought this idea up again.

Whatever it was, city commissioners soon may consider renaming two blocks of Missouri Street to honor former Kansas University football coach and eternal Missouri-hater Don Fambrough.

Commissioner Sue Hack on Tuesday night asked city staff to place the issue on a future agenda item before she leaves office on April 14.

The idea is to rename just the portion of Missouri Street that leads into KU’s Memorial Stadium — basically the section from Ninth to 11th streets.

The idea has come up before, but it’s never gained enough traction. Concerns about residents having to change their mailing addresses have been mentioned. The street is also in an old part of town, and part of Lawrence’s history is its street names.

But Hack said she’s had several people ask her about the change, and she would like an up or down vote on the idea before she leaves office. She’s not seeking re-election.

Chris Kennedy moved to the 900 block of Missouri Street about a week ago. He said he thought renaming the section of street would be a fitting tribute to coach Fambrough. “I’m 100 percent for it,” he said. “Don Fambrough is a Lawrence legend and a hero, and he deserves to be honored.”

Comments

Kent Kossoy 5 years, 1 month ago

Hello??? I lived in Missouri for 21 years, 11 before I graduated from KU. Missourians hate KU. I have classmates from medical school that would not talk to me because I had graduated from KU. I do not believe that there is a street in Columbia named Kansas! Falkenstein is a better choice, though.

Designer 5 years, 1 month ago

Two comments: 1. Does nobody fully understand what a burden this puts upon the homeowners on Missouri street? Try changing all of your personal documents, homewowner insurance, car insurance, health insurance, all credit cards, all online banking, all online purchasing, possibly even your mortgage papers, over one silly proposal. 2. Why are we perpetuating that Missouri hate and stooping so low? We are much classier people and much better than that!!!

s6u6r6f 5 years, 1 month ago

And njjayhawk has a good point: Falkenstein is a better choice than Fambrough. Max it out.

s6u6r6f 5 years, 1 month ago

Change it. Fambrough Drive for the stadium adjacent portion, John Brown Blvd. for the rest. The citizenry and the post office are smart enough to figure out the rest. In Lawrence, having an address on Missouri Street is the equivalent of living on Rapist Drive.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 1 month ago

Why is it that some people seem to think that you cannot have some levity and tackle some lighter issues without sacrificing the weightier issues? I guess some people are taking "enhancements" too frequently. Just remember, that those enhancements do nothing for ones b@lls.

Kent Kossoy 5 years, 1 month ago

I am originally from St. Louis. Glad that I went to KU. And would rather lose a dozen games to KState than one to Mizzou. I hate Mizzou and if changing the name means that Missouri will succeed from the Union.....then go for it.

Janet Scott 5 years, 1 month ago

Call it what you will, but didn't KU fire Fambough twice for losing football teams at KU? And what does being a "Missouri hater" and blow-hard, big story teller have to do with having a Lawrence street named after you? Nothing. Max Falkenstein is more deserving.

The name Missouri Street indeed needs to go; but the name Fambrough should not replace it.

KSA_21_3503 5 years, 1 month ago

What a gigantic waste of time and resources. Instead of doing this, why don't they fix the fcuking potholes?

pizzaboy225 5 years, 1 month ago

I've always wondered why there was a Missouri Street in Lawrence. Even if it's only a section of the street, it would be a huge improvement.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 1 month ago

Missouri didn't join the Union. Unfortunately, they were dragged in, so as far as keeping the order of states joining the union, no big deal. Besides, just like there is no 13th floor on an elevator, bad karma and demons need to be exorcised.

kc_wildfire 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah because there just aren't any other problems in Lawrence for the Commission to try and resolve.

actorman 5 years, 1 month ago

"the history behind the state street names is that they are in the order the states joined the union."

I've always liked that idea, but how great would it be if we had every state EXCEPT Misery?

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 1 month ago

Great Idea. And if the commission gets cold feet, maybe add a word atfter or before Missouri. I like Fambrough Drive though. If there is an Oklahoma Street, how about naming that one after John Brown or maybe "Chokelahoma". Nebraska?

And for the coup de gras, On Fambrough Drive all stop signs and lights are replaced by roundabouts, cause there is no stopping the Jayhawks!!!!

CarterFaucheaux 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm 100% for this.

Get it done, commissioners!

prairie_dog 5 years, 1 month ago

I am surprised this has not happened ALREADY!!! Moving at a nice leisurely government pace, I suppose.

Fambrough Way or Street is just about right.

"Missouri" is an obscenity in Free State country; it should have been changed long ago.

Jared Grillot 5 years, 1 month ago

Not only would this be really cool, but it would add another story to tell, when you're giving your kids and grandkids a tour before the game, add it to the stories that the Student Ambassadors can tell... add to the legends and traditions that make up the KU story.

Do it.

mcorti 5 years, 1 month ago

yeah, i mean, the street might as well be currently named "poop" street, because that would be better then missouri street.

Jake Powell 5 years, 1 month ago

How did this not get done long ago??

I think we should rename the road to Douglas County Jail as well. How 'bout the Jevon Crudup Gray Bar Blvd ? Or the Stephon Hannah Steel Jaw Expressway??

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

I actually think this would be unfortunate. I hate misery too, and I love coach Fam, but let's name another street after him. I think he should be honored but not at the sake of sacrificing some of the uniqe history that makes Lawrence so awesome.

TxJyHwk 5 years, 1 month ago

KUbsee69 - the history behind the state street names is that they are in the order the states joined the union.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 1 month ago

Get it done but rename the entire street.

FLJayhawk08 5 years, 1 month ago

I love this idea! I lived on Missouri St. for 2 years and although I loved my apartment, I loathed the fact that I lived on a street that bears the name of our biggest rival. Please just change the whole street not just 9th through 11th! I am sure other people who live/lived on this street would be be in total agreement.

Alan Braun 5 years, 1 month ago

Change it! Even though Lawrence has a bunch of other state-named streets, I think it's an obscenity to have one named "Missouri", especially in light of Quantrill's "urban renewal" efforts. And nobody deserves to have the honor more than Coach Fam.

KUbsee69 5 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know if missouri street existed in 1863? If not, how did Larryville ever get a street named missouri anyway.

Change it!!!

bigjaybabyjay 5 years, 1 month ago

The kusports.com comments agree it should be done. The LJW website on the otherhand does not. Check out the comments under the LJW article: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/mar...

Everyone show your support on the LJW forum!

hometownhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

All the City Commission should have to do is look at the comments below this article. I have never seen such universal agreement on LJW/KUsports. Now, I'm sure there are those out there who aren't in favor of this, but the vast majority can appreciate it for what it is - a nice honor for a very deserving man. And as for messing up the state names on the streets, there is still plenty of stretches that would retain the name, just not 9th thru 11th.

mdfraz 5 years, 1 month ago

I can't think of a more appropriate way to honor Coach Fam, and this is a perfect location to do it. I've been hearing about/hoping for this to happen for a long time, and I'd also chip in for new mailing labels for those whose addresses change. :)

blindrabbit 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for Fambrough getting his due; but my guess is that to get the most satisfaction (bang for the buck so to speak) from the name change is to have Missouri actually play KU home games in Lawrence, so they would have to traverse.  Does not sound like that is going to happen at least as long a Lew is A.D.  Maybe a new chancellor with actual KU allegiences could make some movement in that direction.  Carl,  the other big player for the change is gone!

Another suggested change, petition Mayor Funkhouser to rename the road around Arrowhead Stadium "PAID FOR BY K.U. FANS DRIVE". I wonder if Coach F. attends our home games there.

Martini_Boy 5 years, 1 month ago

Hate to be a comment pig, BUT this is such a fun subject. I don't know about (I hate typing this name out) missouri street for this, but could we do a Rock Chalk Blvd somewhere??!!!

irish2255 5 years, 1 month ago

i'll pay for peoples new address labels. get it done

cklarock 5 years, 1 month ago

I live on that stretch of Missouri, and I will be 100% behind you, Mrs. Hack! Fambrough FTW!

ajs10 5 years, 1 month ago

Perfect, I wish I could vote on this.

Michael Auchard 5 years, 1 month ago

Change the whole street's name to John Brown Blvd. You will never see more public support in your entire career, Ms. Hack.

Martini_Boy 5 years, 1 month ago

Here's a vote for a new street name coach Fambough would like, Muck Fizzou Street.... Tongue in cheek folks OK......

barackchalkjhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Love it. Now that's the Change we need.