Originally published March 2, 2009 at 12:29p.m., updated March 2, 2009 at 12:58p.m.

KU moves to 9th in latest rankings

After beating the then-Big 12 leading Oklahoma Sooners on the road on Big Monday, the Kansas Jayhawks returned to Allen Fieldhouse to trounce the highly ranked Missouri Tigers.

All that since the last edition of Top 25 polls came out, meaning the Jayhawks were expected to see a big boost in their rankings. We now know how big.

In both ESPN/USA Today and Associated Press polls out this afternoon, KU moves from No. 15 to No. 9.

There are now three conference teams in the ESPN rankings, with Texas dropping out with a loss over the weekend.

AP Top 25

20. Purdue 22-7 211

21. Arizona State 21-7 189

22. Butler 25-4 168

23. Illinois 23-7 107

24. Florida State 22-7 67

25. Syracuse 21-8 37

Comments

chalmers2wright 10 years, 11 months ago

What retards are giving Memphis #1 votes. Are they freaking serious?

patton6 10 years, 11 months ago

You're right, jahoward - which seems about right to me.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 11 months ago

KU (big 12) RPI - 7th Conf. 13-1 Overall 24-5

Memphis (CUSA) RPI 8th Conf. 14-0 Overall 26-3

I concur Chalmers2wright...

Just does not make any sense.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 11 months ago

I forgot SOS

KU has SOS 14th Memphis has SOS 50th

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 11 months ago

Playing in Conference USA WILL catch up to the Tigers and soon...like this month...mark it down now!!!

TKELuke 10 years, 11 months ago

The only team worthy of a #1 vote as of today is UCONN... I hope we don't have to see that team in the tournament.

Fred Davis 10 years, 11 months ago

While folks can bemoan Memphis' ranking and conference - they've been to the Elite 8, Elite 8 and Championship Game the last three years respectively... Hard to argue with those results...

It's good to see KU getting a little love, although I remain astonished at the inattention paid to this team throughout the season... I don't care if KU lost its entire team - they are the defending National Champions, bludgeoned their nastiest rival on National TV and yet The Worldwide Promoter of Everything crap, aka ESPN, talks about Providence and Rutgers during a sports update yet won't mention KU-MU... Dispicable...

Also - I know UConn is garnering everybody's attention right now - but does any real KU fan think that KU couldn't beat them? Thabeet doesn't want to see Cole or Sherron...

Rock Chalk KU going to Detroit and pulling the biggest upset since you know who did it 21 years ago....

Omegatron 10 years, 11 months ago

I recall an ESPN analyst saying that it would be another year or two before we broke the top ten...

LAJayhawk 10 years, 11 months ago

My prediction was for us to move to 7th in one poll and 8th in the other, but after looking at the rankings, I think 9 is correct. Everyone ahead of us deserves to be there -- I can certainly understand being one spot behind Michigan St -- and those behind us should be. Regardless, cracking the top ten, especially at this point in the year, is absolutely remarkable. Very, very few -- if any -- predicted this. I said multiple times early in the year that this would be a totally different team come February, but I'm not sure I really thought this would happen (1 game away from 5 conference titles in a row, 2 from winning it outright, a shot at a number 2 seed or maybe, just maybe even better). It's really a great accomplishment.

This has been one of the most fun teams to watch due to their considerable growth throughout the year. I will wait, however, for one more win before I comment on the accolades Coach Self rightfully deserves this year....................

TheShot122293 10 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you, FreddyD, about playing UConn. Cole Aldrich loves to play against the top big men; I think he was honestly disappointed that he didn't get to mix it up with Griffin. It would be fun to watch him and Thabeet. It would not be fun for UConn's backcourt to watch Collins driving past them. We could obviously lose the game, but I absolutely think we could beat them. In addition to Aldrich and Collins, our coaching staff is second to absolutely none. Self is obvious, but think about Danny helping Cole prepare for Thabeet.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 11 months ago

The only two I don't agree with in the Top 10 are Duke and Wake Forest. I actually think MSU and KU move up a spot to 7 and 8 respectively with LSU at 9 and UDub at 10. I don't know I give a little more credit to conference leaders than I do the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in a conference.

I think the rankings are pretty accurate except the changes I made above. I don't know why Kansas fans knock on Memphis so much. I like Memphis. KU fans complain about not getting respect on a National Scene with CBS and ESPN, but Memphis is in the exact same boat. All they do is win! Their recent postseason history proves it doesn't matter what conference they play in. Cut em some slack. It's not like their Missouri or something.

jncarlsbad 10 years, 11 months ago

I think Memphis is very underrated this season. I saw them destroy Gonzaga in the first half about 3 weeks ago. They are quick, long, and have experience. Tyreke Evans is the real deal and they have insane defense!

Go KU! Self is a coaching GOD, I can't believe he's got all these new guys playing so well! I just hope we are gritty enough to play a Big East team like Pitt, UCONN, or Louisville.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 11 months ago

Look at the teams Memphis played. There is no way they are underrated. OVERRATED is more like it. Conference USA does not impress me at all. K-Suck would have a chance at winning that conference. First or 2nd round exit for Memphis, you heard it here first.

KUballer 10 years, 11 months ago

Memphis is just like Fizzou, overrated. Unfortunately, they don't have anyone like KU or OU in their conference to prove it.. so they're going to most likely stay in the top three or four the rest of the season.

jncarlsbad 10 years, 11 months ago

cap10d, you are fooling yourself that Memphis is going to lose in the 1st or 2nd round. Calapari is pissed about last year. I'll put $100 on that right now that they make it past the 2nd round. LOL

David Friend 10 years, 11 months ago

KU's ranking is probably right but with a bullet. One thing for sure. If Duke beat two top 10 teams in one week they would be ranked number one. I grew up in NY, lived east all my life (witth the exception of my four years on Mt Oread) and I am sick of the east coast bias.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 11 months ago

We all hated on Memphis last year, and who's the National Champion if Mario doesn't make the shot? Never doubt a team with really good talent at every position who plays in-your-face defense and can score from every position.

Blake Brown 10 years, 11 months ago

The polls reflect what the sports writers and coaches see mostly on TV. With CBS coverage and ESPN bias, we`re lucky to be in the top 10. Watch out, DePaul is one win away from NCAA consideration based upon SOS in the Big East.

bob_woods 10 years, 11 months ago

Memphis is a very good team, but yet they play in a easier conference. If they played in a large conf. they would be brought down to earth. And all the Calipari for c.o.y talk would end like it should. Think if we played in their conference.

Brian Powell 10 years, 11 months ago

re: Memphis, Let's not forget the connection* between season performance and tourney performance: SEED.

*Their season record, in a weak conference, does usually help them get a great seed for the tourney (which makes their path to those two Elite 8s a bit easier, no??)

That being said, they are a good team. Last tourney's run to the Final was largely due to Rose, imo. I'd be surprised to see them make Elite or Final this year.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 11 months ago

Good is good no matter who you play. Remember UNLV during the Tark years? Memphis has a lot of talent.

jncarlsbad 10 years, 11 months ago

Experience is crucial in March! Here is the team, all experienced in the tourney and are undefeated since Tyreke Evans has took the point guard position. They have 3 guards that are 6ft 5in or over. They are tall, fast and can play defense.

0 Shawn Taggart F 6-10 238 Junior 2 Robert Dozier F 6-9 220 Senior 5 Antonio Anderson G 6-6 214 Senior 12 Tyreke Evans G 6-6 219 Freshman 4 Pierre Henderson-Niles F 6-8 300 Junior 20 Doneal Mack G 6-5 181 Junior

CRIMSONnBLUE 10 years, 11 months ago

Is it legal to post an article from espn.com on this website? There is a new article today "Inside the bracket: How good is KU?" that I would like to read but it's an insider article. Anyone have an insider account and want to email me the article? Lol

crmsnblu 10 years, 11 months ago

you don't want to read that article, it statistically bashes KU and basically says think twice about how far this team could go in the tournament. horrible article written by someone who obviously hasn't watched the progression of this team

plogjayhawk7568 10 years, 11 months ago

I would say as long as KU makes it to the Big 12 Tournament Championship game with only 5 losses they will be a 2 seed. It is now realistic to say KU has a shot at defending its National Title!

CRIMSONnBLUE 10 years, 11 months ago

Alright, thanks crmsnblu. It sounded like it was actually positive but I guess it's deceiving. The only analyst I like anymore is Jay Bilas. Whenever he talks about the Jayhawks he gives them the credit they deserve.

100 10 years, 11 months ago

We are ranked eighth in the AP.

As for negativity, there's not much if any towards us. Four (four) paragraphs in the AP article mention Kansas. One mentions Naismith.

UConn had one paragraph.

As long as we keep winning, we should keep on moving up. Either Duke or UNC will lose for certain this week. And one or two more.

If we keep improving, watch out.

As for those stat from ESPN insider, they are misleading.

Our turnovers go down per game. That's the stat to pay attention to with a young team, as well as rebounding, shooting percentage and opponents shooting percentage. TOs are progressively going down!

RCJ

Scott Oswalt 10 years, 11 months ago

Conference USA is awful. Tulsa is the 2nd best team. Memphis should join another conference and then talk about how many games they've won in a row. I have more respect for Memphis than Missery, but not much. I can't believe people are voting for them to be #1. Truly idiotic.

jncarlsbad- Inexperience in March could come back to haunt us, but I doubt it. Sherron and Cole have been there before and they will lead this team deep into the tourney. I'm guessing Elite 8, but they are playing well at the right time, so we'll see.

yates33333 10 years, 11 months ago

Don't underestimate Calapari. He is an excellent coach, and his team plays hard under his prod. He is also a very good recruiter. That said, he isn't as good as Self, but few if any are, and he is close among young coaches.

kufankam 10 years, 11 months ago

memphis is a good team but that is it. they are not a great team and are nowhere near deserving of a first place vote. they are top 10 at best. memphis has won a whopping 4 games against rpi top 50.... 4!!! two of the four are against the same team-UAB. the other two are respectable- gonzaga and tennessee. yet, you could even argue that gonzaga is HIGHLY overatted this year as well. sure, memphis could get into the tourney and win a couple of games, but they are not even close to being in the discussion for possibly the best team in the country. for what it is worth, i don't think kansas is either. still, i think we would beat memphis by about 10 on a nuetral floor. memphis IS overrated.

-no true post presence (taggart, dozier-supporting cast at best) -no true leader (anderson wants to be but only evans is talented enough- beasley, durant, rose, couldn't lead to title, evans won't either) -not one, not one tough game against a tourney level team to prepare them on how to win those types of games (in years past, they have balanced their weak conference with playing and winning tough non conference games-no such wins this year) -eventually untested talent/coaches loses to tested/well coached talent

again, memphis is good, but the final four is a pipe dream even if they get a cake walk from their gift wrapped seed.

hawkitup 10 years, 11 months ago

Was that ESPN article about Kansas written by that Jamele Hill chick? I remember a few years ago after the "killer B's" incidents that she wrote an article how she would never pick the Jayhawks again because they get you excited and then just disappoint in the tournament. The next year we went to the Elite Eight and then won the National Championship after that. How's that for disappointment? After reading that article, I couldn't stand her.

In other news, I live in Memphis and believe me they are better than what most people give them credit for. I still say we could beat them but they are pretty good. They are a strong defensive team but have a hard time scoring. Sure they haven't lost since moving Evans to the point, but really who have they played since then? An overrated Gonzaga team. Don't get me wrong...I think really do believe Calapari has done a good job with them this year (even though I can't stand the guy) but they'll probably flame out either in the 2nd round or in the Sweet Sixteen.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 11 months ago

Memphis is not that different a team from last year, They lost a one-and-done player in Rose. He really could have cared less about the UofM getting a title. He is not, by his choice, annouinced at Bulls games as being from the UofM, but ...from Chicago. That says something about his affiliation with the Tiger program! Evans is a college player (at least for now) and is probably better for the team in general. CDR is gone. nobody replaced his talent and stats, so there is a wash between Evans there and CDR not. Dorsey is gone, for what that's worth as well.

Now for our guys. Look at today's top ten ranked teams. Weren't all of them except KU there in the pre-season top 10 rankings? I believe KU wasn't even in the top 25. Is it perception or reality that we've made progress than anybody in the top 25 with only two weeks left in the regular season, We should be a 2 or no worse than 3 seed based on this growth and the streak through the Big 12.

mandomax 10 years, 11 months ago

I was also surprised OU didn't drop further in the rankings. I guess their precious POY being out for the two losses and then dominating (20 and 19) in a road win at TTech convinced voters that with him, OU is still a top 5 team. However, TTech played them pretty close at home, even with BG back in the lineup. We cannot expect an easy victory in Lubbock.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if Coach Cal changed his philosophy about the importance of FTs???

CRIMSONnBLUE 10 years, 11 months ago

KU was projected preseason #23, just to answer memhawks question. As for all this other tournament chatter I will be happy if they make it to the Elite 8. For a team this young to get that far is amazing in itself. What I'd really love to see is KU face UNC again and take them out for the second year in a row. How sick would that be!

Tim Orel 10 years, 11 months ago

Drgnslayr, I like your championship score, but let me add that it would be 50-50 at halftime. We've got the perfect assistant coach on the bench to get the Jayhawks through that game, too.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 11 months ago

FreddyD, This years rankings are for this years team. It is not for the last 3 cumulative years.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 11 months ago

Anybody know what the team FT percentage of Memphis is this year?

actorman 10 years, 11 months ago

"The sleeper team, rated 28th in the country that draws UNC in game one and repeats the trouncing again, ..."

Much as I would love to see KU crush UNC in the first round, that would not happen even if KU was ranked 28th, as a 7 or 8 seed would not be playing a 1 seed in the first round.

mlubyRN 10 years, 11 months ago

Kenpom has Memphis FT% at 69 this year. Last year, they were 61% from the line. Personally I think Memphis is overrated again, but FreddyD has a point. They have had great results in the tournament the past 3 years. Im not going to be surprized if they make another final four. I DONT want them to though. oh and for the record. D.Rose did care about last years title...he cried like a baby after we kicked their asses!!!

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 11 months ago

Don't worry, the chairs will be flying in Lubbock as Jr. finally becomes christened a full fledged "Knight".

KUbsee69 10 years, 10 months ago

KU is back in the top 10 in both major polls. This corrects an egregious error in nature. Now, I'm taking this as an omen that all is righting itself in the world. So now I expect in the near future:

The polar ice caps will start expanding The air will be notably cleaner The economy will dramatically improve We'll find Osama Bin Laden Somebody will recount and find we swore in the wrong president

RCJH

chalmers4thetie 10 years, 10 months ago

bullcrap ku beats a #3 ranked Oklahoma team in norman! and then spanks a #8 ranked missouri team by 25, ku should be higher than #9 in my book!

actorman 10 years, 10 months ago

"Presidents come and go and the country keeps plodding along. Does it matter?"

Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but it might matter to our 4,000 or so dead soldiers (not to mention the at least 100,000 Iraqis that we've killed). And it might matter to the people whose life savings have been depleted because of there being no regulation on corporate greed. Not to mention 1000 other things.

Yeah, I know this is a sports board but I couldn't let such a ludicrous comment go by without mention.

Jonathan Kealing 10 years, 10 months ago