Sunday, March 1, 2009

MU bus involved in wreck

A 19-year-old Overland Park man was hospitalized after a three-vehicle accident involving the the University of Missouri men’s basketball team’s charter bus on K-10 near DeSoto, according to Kansas Highway Patrol reports.

Jonathan T. Nguyen was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. He was traveling east on the highway at 12:20 p.m. Saturday in his Toyota RAV4 when Julia Voigt-Catlin of Lenexa lost control of her Toyota Corolla and struck his vehicle.

Nguyen’s SUV was then hit by a charter bus, which was carrying the Missouri basketball team. No players were injured in the accident. Voigt-Catlin suffered no injuries and the passenger in Nguyen’s SUV was also unharmed. The Tigers had been practicing in Lawrence and were heading back to their hotel in the K.C. area.

A nursing supervisor at Overland Park Regional Medical Center could not comment on Nguyen’s condition and said he was no longer at the hospital on Saturday night.

Comments

John Randall 5 years, 5 months ago

Deja Vu? Don't I remember a 'bus incident' prior to the '07 Armageddon game?

Matt Bowers 5 years, 5 months ago

Am I able to watch the game today online? Please help!

Michael Auchard 5 years, 5 months ago

Not content to try and merely defeat KU on the court, the MU basketball team now tries to run over Kansas residents.

Jack Wilson 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure the MU bus was driving in the passing lane, going 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, and oblivious to all around it .. Missouri license plates tend to cause that.

mandomax 5 years, 5 months ago

kustrong: justin.tv go to the sports section. I watched Big XII games on it yesterday. Its just live, streaming TV. Also, KJHK.org lets you listen online.

MyJayhawkBaby 5 years, 5 months ago

Joe Joseph 5 years, 5 months ago

In Kansas we drive on the right side of the road.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

"The wheels on the bus".........(are coming off today!)

DalTXJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Keep in mind why they were driving back to KC. It was Norm's pledge to spend as little time and money in Kansas. They feel they are 'too good' to stay in Lawrence.

(guess he doesn't care that manhattan is also in Kansas, I think they do stay over night there)

rockchalkin54 5 years, 5 months ago

Are they still not allowed to buy anything or stay in a hotel in Kansas? Why were they staying in KC?

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

They were probably taking K-10 so they wouldn't have to pay the toll on I-70!

Good point DalTXJayhawk-Do they play night games at KState and then drive back to Mizz. or do they sleep on the bus? Or maybe they pitch tents and sleep in their Jonas Brothers sleeping bags.

JBurtin 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow guys, I think I'm gonna have to call some people out on this one.

A man was just badly injured and apparently the bus didn't cause the accident.

I know we all hate Missouri, but to use a potentially tragic event as an excuse to rip on them is really pretty classless.

Shouldn't this be a page of well wishing for the injured person in question?

You're really not representing KU in a very good light right now. Usually I'm proud of our fans for being able to leave the game on the court and respond with class to events off the court. Ignoring the injured party due to something as petty as a basketball rivalry shows a ridiculous amount of immaturity. This is the kind of stuff that I expect to hear from K-Staters, and is the reason that I find their fanbase disgusting. I expect a little more from our fans then this.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

We do not know the extent of Mr. Nguyen's injuries. However, if the accident happened at 12:20 and he was released before that same night. he probably wasn't "badly injured". Ususally for liabilitiy purposes, a trip to the hospital is routine.

Yes, this could have been a tragic incident. It wasn't. Had it been tragic, none of us would be making light of the situation, I'm sure. Of course, had the tables been turned, with the KU bus being involved in such a wreck in Missouri, hillbillies from all over the state would be storming the highway.

kuGuate 5 years, 5 months ago

KUSTRONG --- Go to http://www.channelsurfing.net/ to find the game...it is being shown on there today...enjoy & ROCK CHALK!!!

JBurtin 5 years, 5 months ago

Nobody said he was released. The article states that he was "no longer at the hospital". That could easily mean that he was airlifted to a specialist at another hospital. We really don't know what his condition is right now.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 5 months ago

Ok, JBurtin (chicken little) I apologize for assuming the best case in this matter. I do hope that his condition wasn't critical enough to be sent to a more specific medical facility rather than him merely going home.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry, but this story is way too inviting to not joke about. I'm sure the guy who was hurt is fine and will have a story to talk about forever. That said, I do wish him well and hope he gets a nice settlement that will ease his burden during these harsh economic times.

As for Julia, we should get her a ticket to a future KU game and perhaps a hands free device. Hopefully she wasn't breast feeding a baby when she lost control.

Matt Kenton 5 years, 5 months ago

The KC Star said the Tigers were going back to their hotel... in Overland Park, KS.