Sunday, March 1, 2009

Morbid memories

Mizzou Arena defeat motivates Jayhawks for round two

Kansas guard Travis Releford, front, and the Jayhawks make their way from the court following a 62-60 loss to Missouri on Feb. 9 in Columbia, Mo. The loss has motivated many Jayhawks for today’s matchup, which will take place at 1 p.m. today in Allen Fieldhouse.

GameDay Cram Session: Missouri

Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan and KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell take a look at what to expect during Sunday's Kansas vs. Missouri game at Allen Fieldhouse.

Mario Little and his Kansas University basketball teammates have been haunted by memories of a 62-60 loss to border rival Missouri on Feb. 9 at Mizzou Arena.

That’s the game in which MU’s Zaire Taylor answered a game-tying Little jumper with a bucket of his own with 1.3 seconds remaining. More than 1,000 frenzied Tiger fans streamed onto the court after a last-ditch desperation shot by KU’s Cole Aldrich misfired at the buzzer.

“I do think about that,” Little said of KU’s only loss in Big 12 Conference play.

“I remember the next day talking to Sherron (Collins). It was a beautiful day outside. Every time we tried to smile and have fun, it’d pop in the back of our head that, ‘we lost to Missouri yesterday.’ It was bad,” Little added.

The Jayhawks (23-5, 12-1), who led the Tigers (24-4, 11-2) by 14 points at halftime, meet MU in a 1 p.m. rematch today in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I mean, like Leo Lyons (of MU) said, that was their national championship. They should run on the court,” Little said of the Tiger fans. “Of course we’ll use that as motivation. We lost to Missouri. It’s a big game to lose.”

Before the first game, Kansas City native Lyons indicated that, to MU fans, “this means more to them than a national championship does.”

Today’s game definitely has implications on the Big 12 race.

The No. 15-ranked Jayhawks enter a half game up on Oklahoma and a full game ahead of No. 11-rated MU with a week of games remaining.

“You could say that,” KU point guard Collins said, asked if this game is an opportunity for “revenge.”

“It’s Kansas-Missouri. They beat us the first time. It’s a game we are looking forward to.”

KU committed 27 turnovers in the first meeting.

Some miscues were caused by MU’s fullcourt pressure; others by sloppy play by the Jayhawks.

“I thought we gave it away,” Collins said. “We had the game in our hands. We let it slip away. We turned the ball over, made dumb mistakes late in the game. It’s a game you are looking forward to getting it back.”

The Jayhawk starters and key reserves have been practicing against seven scout team players at a time this week, as KU coach Bill Self has tried to copy MU’s pressure in workouts.

“We turned it over 27 times. Against Missouri, you will probably turn the ball over. They will put themselves in position where you have to make plays,” Self said of the Tigers, who have a school-record 304 steals in 28 games and rank second nationally with 10.9 steals per game.

“What you have to cut back on is unforced turnovers. You can’t turn it over when you are not being guarded. We have to be strong with the ball and do a much better job than we did the first time,” Self added.

The Jayhawks have won the last nine meetings against the Tigers in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s hard to explain how it is. It’s going to be a shock for them, no matter what, playing there the first time,” MU senior Matt Lawrence said of the Tiger newcomers.

“They have the greatest home winning streak, I think, alive right now (39 straight games in Allen). So you know it’s a tough place to play, but I think if we go there and match their intensity from the beginning ... we know that they’re going to be hyped. Their crowd is going to be ready for us. They’re ready to play us. They think that we stole one here even though we don’t think we played our best game,” Lawrence added.

The Tigers scored just 16 points the first half in Columbia.

“I told our guys it will be harder beating Missouri at home than it was in Columbia, because Missouri didn’t play well against us in Columbia. They scored 16 points the first half,” Self said. “This is a team that is averaging 80 a game and they hang 16 on us the first half. Now the second half they played really well (in outscoring KU, 46-30). We didn’t. I anticipate them playing well. They are a better team than then. On the flipside, I think we are a better team, too. It’s two really good teams playing Sunday.”

MU senior DeMarre Carroll led all scorers with 22 points off 8-of-13 shooting in the first meeting. Lyons had 13. KU’s Tyshawn Taylor (11) was the only Jayhawk to score in double figures.

Even KU newcomers like Little realize MU is a huge rival.

“I mean, yeah, we don’t have anybody else to say we’re rivals with. We won all our other games. Missouri is the only game we lost in conference,” Little said. “Yes, this is a big game. We’ve got to win. Yes it is.”

MU needs to win lest it fall two games behind the Jayhawks in the league race.

“Our guys have been playing some good basketball,” MU coach Mike Anderson said. “We’ve faced KU before. They’re an outstanding team. I think the one loss they’ve got was by us, so I’m sure this will be the ultimate challenge. Maybe they (Tigers) don’t know. Sometimes that’s good. They don’t know what they’re going into.”

This, that: KU leads the all-time series, 166-94, including a 38-14 mark in Allen. KU has won the last nine meetings vs. MU in Allen dating to 2000. Overall, KU has won five of the last six vs. the Tigers.

Comments

pitthawker 10 years, 11 months ago

"I think the one loss they’ve got was by us, so I’m sure this will be the ultimate challenge."

you think!?!?! haha. nice.

jayhawkarmy 10 years, 11 months ago

THE JAYHAWKS ARE TIGER HUNTING HEADS ARE GOING TO ROLL BACK TO COLUMBIA MUCK FAZZOU GO HAWKS!

John Randall 10 years, 11 months ago

"the jayhawks are tiger hunting heads are going to roll back to columbia muck fazzou go hawks"

Is a "hunting head" just the corner of the duck blind where you do #2?

Hint: the use of use of SHIFT and periods is a courtesy to the reader.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 11 months ago

EVERYTHING went Moo's way in the first game. the last shot, Carroll's three hitting the back iron, straight up in the air and in....the phantom Morris bump on the official, and the "T"....our own unforced errors....it was just their day.

Today, is a different day. and the outcome will be different as well.

KU 90 MU 76

Rockin and Chalkin.....Go KU!

ku_tailg8 10 years, 11 months ago

Please don't blame the ref's. It makes you sound like a whining fan. Focus more on what was the real problem in that game. Besides the turnovers, we stopped attacking the press in the second half. We were happy to get it across half-court and slow it down. We need to continue to attack. TO's have to be cut back. Some of our guys look like they can't wait to get rid of the ball as soon as they catch it in a full court press. That leads to cruddy passes. They need to inbound the ball better. It seems its a chore for our guys to inbound the ball. Half the time after a made basket we just walk to the ball and allow the other team to set up the press instead of grabbing it and going. Today should be a fun one. I might be in the minority but I'm glad Mizzou is back to relevance again.

Jeffery Barrett 10 years, 11 months ago

"Maybe they (Tigers) don’t know. Sometimes that’s good. They don’t know what they’re going into.”

I wish I could be there today. AFH will be rockin' and rollin'! I totally agree, mvjayhawk. This is going to be and A** whipping!!!

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years, 11 months ago

Mizzou has no chance today. KU by 22! Reminiscent of KU vs. UAB

brooksmd 10 years, 11 months ago

Well while ya'll have to put up with that mediocre matchup, down here in da bayou we get to watch a real barnburner....Tennessee and Florida. Well have to work anyway but I was gonna tape it to watch after I got home. And the firewall at work won't allow any video so can't even sneak a peek every once in a while. Enjoy the game. Rock Chalk from Nawlins'.

Greg Lux 10 years, 11 months ago

My last live game at AFH was KU vs MU 2002. After being a season ticket holder for over 30 yrs and seeing all the great games at AFH. That 2002 Big Monday MU game was the Greatest home game I ever saw. KU - 105 MU - 73. As I left Kansas to move to the Southwest I remember saying to my buddy "What a way to go out, that was the greatest crowd I have ever seen. It was electric and my ears are still ringing!.. I know today's crowd will be a mirror of that crowd and my awesome Jayhawk's kick some Mizzou @ss today. I see the final score as KU 106 MU 72 Oh how I wish I could be there... I can already feel the building rock'en Rock Chalk

jhawker_87 10 years, 11 months ago

Don't count on it, they ref for the Big XII. Putting aside all of the opportunities for pissing and moaning about the refs (i.e. the 3 and a half second five second call), KU will be ready, and judging by the 100+ camping groups here at the Fieldhouse right now, the crowd will be too.

Matt Bowers 10 years, 11 months ago

"I think there one loss was against us."

"I think I should obey all traffic laws, so as to not cause accidents."

"I think I should have tried to get the officials from our first meeting."

This is what happens when you try to think in (screw) Mizzou. Hate their team, their state, the people in the state, and the slogan "show me." I really do. Been to Columbia many times and have never met so many rude and ignorant people. This is without wearing Kansas gear. That said, I love KC, MO.

They hate us because we win with class and our loyalty is non-stop. (screw) Mizzou has fair weather fans, who only know to hate Kansas...but not why. It goes back to Bleeding Kansas and the Civil War. What these state's share resembles the thing between the North and the South. They are the South and Kansas is the North.

Lets go Hawks. Lets get two games up and handle the rest of our business.

Rock Chalk

Michael Auchard 10 years, 11 months ago

Anderson regularly has quotes where you wonder if he actually follows the sport he coaches in. Maybe it's just a communication breakdown.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 11 months ago

Three teams ranked ahead of us lost yesterday. Take care of business today and we move up AT LEAST four spots!!! Rock Chalk!!!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 11 months ago

Damn CBS is showing the UF/UT game down here...what a freakin' waste of air time!!! May have to venture out in the sleet and snow to watch at a bar.

lovemyhawks 10 years, 11 months ago

lovemyhawks (anonymous) says...

sure wish i could be at AFH today!!! think it will be great and the retirement of kirk's jersey will hopefully add even MORE spark to the day!!!! we should definitely be ready to play and the crowd should be rockin' big time.... hope so anyway. the game in columbia was ugly...... we played badly but STILL honestly SHOULD have won the game!!! the refs DID play a part, i'm sorry to say. the 3.5 second call was horrible and at a very crucial time but we beat ourselves too and hopefully that won't happen today!!!! i'm ready to watch and ENJOY the tiger beating!!!!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK all the way!!

kufankam 10 years, 11 months ago

c'mon! you do not blame the refs in a game where you have 27 TO's. i agree with the previous poster- it makes you and your team look weak when you point the finger at the refs. players miss shots, refs miss calls. it is all "part" of the game, but does not "decide" the game. not taking care of the ball and losing our poise lost us the game in columbia (barely). things should be different today!! either way, if we win/lose- it won't be because of the officials.

George Powell 10 years, 11 months ago

Jayhawkinatl, I am in Columbia, SC and will be getting the worthless SEC game.

I am with you, heading to a sports bar with all these Gamecock fans, LOL.

100 10 years, 11 months ago

May the best team win.

If we practiced breaking a press at all this week, the Hawks should be pretty satisfied at the end of this game.