Monday, June 29, 2009

U.S. basketball team, Taylor scrimmage against Croatia

— The USA U19 World Championship basketball team and Kansas University guard Tyshawn Taylor scrimmaged against Croatia on Sunday, winning 97-68.

Duke’s Seth Curry scored 16 points for the U.S., while Pitt’s Ashton Gibbs added 15 and Butler’s Shelvin Mack tallied 12 points, six assists and four steals.

“I would say the thing that really stands out (about the USA team) is how different guys have impacted throughout and how it has changed constantly,” USA head mentor Jamie Dixon said in a release. “I had a couple of people who have been through this who said that even just in practices from one day to the next, guys would change, different guys would step up and I think really that's going to be our strength. The strength of this team is we have 12 players top to bottom, that might be our advantage over some other teams. John Shurna today played really well today and he didn't play as much in our last scrimmage. (KU’s) Tyshawn Taylor played really well, so we've had different guys.”

The U.S. opens preliminary play on Thursday against Iran.

Comments

ku98 10 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, prairie, for this interesting article. I don't know much about CJ, but I doubt he is better than Sherron right now. If both brothers want to be one-and-done, they better bring us a national championship next April.

AverageCitizen 10 years, 6 months ago

Prairie- This is the same article that was in the KC Star (Kansas City.com) yesterday. Brady McCallough is a KC Star reporter.

midhawktx 10 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the article prairie. That article makes me feel confident the Henry's will work out great; about as confident as a 13 year old girl with acne and a back brace.

rawkhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm excited for Tyshawn and the Henrys and the 2009-10 Jayhawk squad. My brother and I are talking KU hoops, and we agree that CJ could be a surprise factor next year.

grantmvb 10 years, 6 months ago

From what I understand, Carl is doing a damage control interview today on 810.

Brian Leiker 10 years, 6 months ago

I love the Henrys as much as the next fan, but the reality is that they've never been defended like they are going to see in a real practice or D1 game. AAU, All-star games, and mediocre high school basketball in Oklahoma are like glorified pick-up games. He won't be getting the calls or star treatment in games like he's been getting for the last 4 years. My guess is he won't average more than 14 a game but will still take his NBA body and bolt for the draft next year.

overseashawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure I'll take flack for this but what i've seen of X on youtube I'm actually concerned about his shout. He doesn't elevate enough into his shot. At least he has his height working for him. I'm just concnerned that he won't be able to get his shot off as well against the shorter players that he's faced in HS. I'm also concerned about all the runners that I've seen him do on youtube. Obviously these videos aren't a full picture of him as a player but he doesn't seem as long and athletic as to make the jump straight from HS to the NBA. If you look at videos of Brandon Rush in HS he has the length and athleticism in HS that X did. It took Brandon three years. The wait is worth it as Brandon had a couple of 30 point games at the end of the season and could start or be as little as 6th man this year with the Pacers.

I kind of see X as a taller and more developed Travis Releford. I think that he'll be a great great player with coaching but I don't really see him having the skill set right now as being a one and done player. I think that the epitome of a one and done is Derrick Rose. I watched him extensively throughout his senior year in HS and I don't think that there was ever any doubt in his future. I hope that X can fit in well with the current offense. Obviously Cole should get as many touches as humanly possible. Sherron should have the second most touches on offense. X will have to earn his touches/shots on offense towards the beginning of the year.

All of that being said: ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK. I hope I'm wrong and he scores 20 a game.

KanKu 10 years, 6 months ago

Interesting article. I'm sure it made most KU fans a tad angry in the beginning, then tapered off into a more relaxed state of promise. But, stay positive KU fans....

Henry will start and play his role well,

CJ will play, but won't start, and will never be what Sherron is now. Maybe what Sherron was off the bench for KU...

and lastly, be thankful that Carl Henry has no further offspring......

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 6 months ago

I hope they spend the time in the classroom to be in "good standing" when they leave. I somehow get the feeling they won't see the inside of a school building once the season ends.

kvskubball 10 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how many credit hours CJ has from his year at Memphis?

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

"I think that the epitome of a one and done is Derrick Rose."

And Greg Odom, Michael Beaseley, Kevin Durrant. Sorry, but that is a Duh! So are the comments about X not being ready for the NBA unless someone can prove Carl wrong about the NBA telling them 2 years ago that X was ready. So many people arrogantly post on here as if they know the NBA draft, when all they really know is that there is room for improvement in a players game. Again - Duh.

Newflash! The NBA still drafts potential, so unless a players shows a glaring flaw in their game but has skill & potential, they will get drafted. History proves this over and over again.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 6 months ago

What is most confusing is how much negativism there is regarding the Henrys. They aren't acting like every other new player. Newsflash - they're not. CJ is a millionaire, and a professional athlete who has hired a personal trainer to get him and his brother ready. There also are plenty of athletes that aren't on campus yet, but who will join their teams in August and become part of the team. Let's stop projecting all the negatives toward the Henrys.

mbmerriman 10 years, 6 months ago

go to theshiver.com and read the article about the henrys...the fire is just starting

overseashawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Dagger108 good for you for being angry. I'm delighted that your knowledge of the NBA draft far exceeds mine. There are many one and dones who have never really made it. Ever heard of Felipe lopez? Before lebron he was the most highly touted recruit in the past twenty years. He played for st johns. He made it to the NBA BARELY. His career was brief.

Remember Toby Bailey?

Not all "one and dones" only go to school for one year. If I wereto guess fifty percent make it to the league.

Theutus 10 years, 6 months ago

I'll hold any judgment until I see them show up and get a fair shake. I wouldn't be surprised if that entire article was false.

When I was in Ramadi I had a reporter stuck in my unit for 3 days. We scheduled missions around that person (light load, low risk) but we still ended up in a small exchange of fire that amounted to nothing. That was it. A month later we got a copy of an article that read something along the lines of "In a huge ambush the Marines killed 13 people and fought off more than 50". WTF? It never happened.

Thats my experience with media, they print whatever they think will sell. I'll give the Henry's the benefit of the doubt, and welcome them in come August.

Aligned 10 years, 6 months ago

Uh, yeah. I'm this story is exactly like the one you noted....

Andrew Moore 10 years, 6 months ago

If you're concerned about X Henry's game, watch this video.

Its called "dunking on everybody in Oklahoma"

100 10 years, 6 months ago

The KC paper who ran this original Tabloid piece on Carl has a lot of Jayhawks, like 50% working for it.

Unfortunately the editorial board is outweighed by Missouri Tigers.

Let's call a spade a spade -- they're trying to make us, Coach, X, CJ, Barbara, Carl & KU's team ticked off.

Don't get sucked in.

Nothing wrong with changing a couple things (like what Carl said) to make the Tiger fanbase happy. Today the antlers are cracking up.

CJ, X, Carl, Barbara -- we can't wait to have you. Glad X & CJ are working so hard this summer -- it will pay off!

And KU fans -- relax -- the KC media is great & most of them support us. This is the kind of story where the editorial board drove a Missouri Tiger read.

These kids are gonna be great. Have some patience.

((by the way CJ is truly an incredible athlete, this will be a great year, seeing Sherron, Tyshawn & CJ eat up opposing teams who have tried to mimick John Calipari's defensive strategy of standing around with your hands on your hips).

Rock Chalk, X & CJ !

suttonku 10 years, 6 months ago

What I have heard from some of my sources are basically what is being reported on theshiver.com...the henrys will be in Lawrence next year...the media is making them a little nervous but they will be playing for KU next year...Now I do think that CJ is gonna be a stud for us but I believe this will take 2 years because there is no way that CJ will beat out Collins for the starting PG for a couple reasons: 1) I truly believe this is Collins' team 2) I think that with the experience that Collins has (wining a championship and having won 90 plus games) this team is better off with him at the point 3) CJ hasnt played in 4 years...yes he may be good enough but who knows how the guy will react when he gets in the game?...I do like the fact that we will have a ton of depth next season at all positions so no one should get tired but I think that CJ will mostly take minutes away from Taylor if anyone because Collins has the all around game (shooting, dribbling, defense, and basketball IQ) and I think that Taylor still needs to develop in some of those areas...but I dont see any player on the squad that should play more than 32 minutes a game and everyone should be fresh the entire season unless we have injuries...Xavier not being in Lawrence no doubt is a mistake and I think we all agree on that and I do think that the Henrys not being there may hurt the chemistry of this team but if there is a coach that can bring them all together its HCBS no doubt about it...and with Collins and Aldrich leading the team you know there is no way that they will let this team fall apart...KU fans we need to embrace the Henrys and make them feel welcome! they are family now and they are going to win a championship for us next year so we owe it to them to make them feel welcome...Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Welcome home Henrys!!

Hawklin 10 years, 6 months ago

I dont understand why you guys have discussions about X on a Taylor article. Ever heard of the messageboard?

suttonku 10 years, 6 months ago

every heard of shut the hell up we do what we want?