Friday, June 19, 2009

KU’s Taylor selected for USA men’s U19 team

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor defends Iowa State guard Diante Garrett during the first half of the Jayhawks’ game Jan. 24 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Taylor latest Jayhawk to join USA squad

Kansas sophomore guard Tyshawn Taylor was selected as one of 12 players that will compete for the USA Men’s U19 World Championship Team, USA Basketball announced Thursday.

Tyshawn Taylor started to squirm Thursday as USA Basketball national team director Sean Ford rattled off the names of the 12 players selected to wear the red, white and blue in the FIBA Under 19 World Championships.

“There were 17 of us in the room, and I didn’t get called right away. It was toward the end of the list. I was in there sweating a bit,” Taylor said.

Kansas University’s sophomore combo guard learned — with three names to spare — that he had survived cuts following the three-day trials in Colorado Springs and would be representing his country July 2-12 in Auckland, New Zealand.

“I thought I had a pretty good chance. I played pretty well at times, but I was not sure what they were looking for,” Taylor said in a phone interview Thursday night. “We had two-a-days, and they were tough. I wasn’t ready for this. I was not in that good of shape, honestly.

“The altitude did not help a bit. I’m getting my wind back. It’s been fun. It’s been good.”

Taylor, who will play both point guard and shooting guard for Team USA, is joined on the roster by Butler’s Gordon Hayward and Shelvin Mack; Washington State’s DeAngelo Casto and Klay Thompson; Duke’s Seth Curry; Pitt’s Ashton Gibbs; Kentucky’s Darius Miller; UTEP’s Arnett Moultrie; Northwestern’s John Shurna; Georgia’s Howard Thompkins; and Mississippi’s Terrico White.

Those cut Thursday were West Virginia’s Darryl Bryant; Florida’s Kenny Boynton; Minnesota’s Ralph Sampson III; and Pitt’s Dante Taylor. UCLA’s Drew Gordon withdrew from the trials after suffering a knee injury Wednesday.

“There weren’t many drills that we did. We mostly just got together and scrimmaged,” said Taylor, who indicated he’s been most impressed with Duke’s Curry.

“I think I stood out a bit because I did a good job of playing defense and I worked hard. I also did a good job of making shots and that didn’t hurt at all. I was a team player, and often times when guys get around things like this, they start trying to impress people and they try to do too much.”

Taylor said making the team was his biggest accomplishment to date in basketball.

“I’d like to say winning it all in high school was it, but I think this really is my biggest achievement,” said Taylor, whose St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.) team went undefeated his senior season. “I’m really excited about this. I’ve only been out of the country once, when we went to Canada last year (for three exhibition games).”

Taylor said the key to mining gold would be defense.

“That’s what coach Dixon (Jamie, Pitt) has stressed,” Taylor said. “Now we have to start practicing (until June 25 in Colorado) and become a team, not just 12 individual players. I think we have a long way to go, but we are going to be fine.

“The coaches talked to us about the 2008 Olympic team with LeBron (James) and Kobe (Bryant) and how they played as a team and the successes they had because of it.”

Dixon — along with assistants (Southern Illinois’ Chris Lowery and Purdue’s Matt Painter) — likes what he’s seen so far.

“It’s been a great experience, great to be a part of, a lot of kids playing hard and out here for the right reasons and giving up their summer to play in this event and I think they understand the importance of it. I feel very fortunate to be a part of it,” Dixon said.

“Now at this point we’ve got our team and we’ve got to just mold it. What we’re now going to do is focus on defending and then running our offense, and just trying to play unselfish, playing hard and playing smart at the same time.”

World Games team selected

USA Basketball also revealed the list of players who will compete in the World University Games, July 2-11 in Serbia. They are: James Anderson (Oklahoma State), Talor Battle (Penn State), Trevor Booker (Clemson), Craig Brackins (Iowa State ), Da'Sean Butler (West Virginia.), Corey Fisher (Villanova ), Lazar Hayward (Marquette), Robbie Hummel (Purdue), Quincy Pondexter (Washington), Deon Thompson (North Carolina), Evan Turner (Ohio State) and Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State).

Players cut Thursday were Purdue’s JaJuan Johnson, South Florida's Dominique Jones, Illinois’ Mike Tisdale and Arizona’s Nic Wise. KU’s Sherron Collins was invited to try out but withdrew on Monday because of family concerns.

Assistant sports editor Gary Bedore can be reached at 832-7186.

Comments

jayhwkroks 10 years, 7 months ago

This is freaking awesome!!!!! This will give him much needed experience and hopefully give him an edge that will definitely give KU the best backcourt in the country. Do yourself, KU, and USA basketball proud!!!!! ROCKCHALK

100 10 years, 7 months ago

This will be great for Tyshawn.

Experience was exactly what Billy Thomas was alluding to in his interview, regarding what Tyshawn was missing. He was really excited about Tyshawn's play but needed to cut down on sloppy turnovers.

He's gonna be a great team player next year.

Andy Hess 10 years, 7 months ago

Nicely done, Mr. Taylor. Make us proud!

truefan 10 years, 7 months ago

This kid just keeps impressing me. Way to go Tyshawn.

tstanlick1909 10 years, 7 months ago

This was an optimal outcome

when i heard sherron and tyshawn would both be playing for national teams this summer, i was hesitant about sherron because he already has that maturity and edge to his game and didnt need it

tyshawn however is still raw, and this is perfect for him, and for the jayhawks

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

Hope Boeheim doesn't make them play the Syracuse zone defense exclusively.

kvskubball 10 years, 7 months ago

Congrats Tyshawn! or ditto to ChicagoJHawk's post above....

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Kick some foreign ass Mr. Taylor!!! Good Job.

Tyshawn was ranked no.77 by rivals in 2008. 4 Jayhawks were ranked higher than him that year, one a transfer. It looks like being under the gun this past year has helped him progress quite a great deal.

Outstanding achievement.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 7 months ago

I found it interesting that Coach Dixon cut his own player Dante Taylor, who plays at Pitt. That would have had to be an interesting conversation. I was glad to see that Kenny Boynton cut from the team because I'm not overly impressed with that kid. I was also a little shocked to see Nic Wise cut from the other team. Maybe his selfishness kept him off. Who knows!

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

oldalum,

I be that's probably what Boeheim is going to do. He's all about the zone defense.

I agree with you though, it would be better if they didn't rely exclusively on zone defense.

63Jayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Didn't Travis Releford play for the under 19 team last year?

Joe Baker 10 years, 7 months ago

Congrats TT and have fun! Also, don't look now but this is just one of your many achievements. Wait until you win a NC with your KU team!!

RCJHKU

Michael Auchard 10 years, 7 months ago

Dixon didn't have anything to do with the list of who made the cut. He's just the coach. Boeheim was, I believe, the head of the committee that actually selected players. That way no one could say the coach picked his own players over others who may be more deserving.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 7 months ago

Dixon, Lowery and Painter are the coaches of the U19 team, so you better believe they'll be playing some D.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 7 months ago

I stand corrected, although I'd swear the article on the 18th that I commented on said Boeheim was the coach. I even went back and double-checked because I wasn't sure how to spell it. The magic of the Internet!

mikehawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn! Congrats! Great experience, but I wouldn't risk showing up next fall out of shape. There are some serious dudes coming your way looking for PT.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Coaches are addicted to speed, defense, and threes. We know he has the first two. This may mean he has acquired the three. If so, he will be a holy terror this season in college basketball and CJ will have a very tough time unseating him. CJ, better get your threepeating rifle cleaned and greased. You're going to need it to beat out Quantum T.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

All of the guys are Jayhawks -- doesn't matter how good Tyshawn gets. The better he gets, the better for all. The better CJ gets this summer, the better for all.

It's gonna be one heckuva squad next year -- loaded top to bottom, able to go very deep into the roster if we have to.

This team will be a terror with or without Tyshawn being a terror. Tyshawn needs to learn to "lead", dish & D first -- dominate offensively with his shooting only when the opprtunity presents itself. No need to force anything next year -- pass, pass, dunk. Steal, pass, 3. Etc, for 40 min a game -- we need Tyshawn to get experience and be highly intelligent with the ball.

Him making this team is so good for our backcourt leadership for next year!

lee3022 10 years, 7 months ago

A nice article on Draft Express by Jonathan Givony on top performers starts with Tyshawn Taylor:

"Probably the biggest revelation to come out of these tryouts, and clearly one of the most well-rounded players in attendance, Tyshawn Taylor looks poised to emerge as the leader of the Under-19 World Championship bound team.

"Fresh off dissecting this 2009 draft class to the Nth degree, it was hard not to come away seeing a lot Jrue Holiday in Taylor’s game. Although not freakishly long or strong, he has good size for either guard spot to go along with a very nice first step, and is an extremely versatile player on top of that.

"Taylor stands out first and foremost for the work he does on the defensive end of the floor, which is not a surprise considering the coach he plays for. He is the type of player who is always around the ball, constantly in the mix for loose balls, and he takes a lot of pride in the effort he puts forth shutting down his man. "

There is more - go read the article: