Thursday, June 18, 2009

Gary Bedore’s KU Basketball Notebook

Bumps, bruises report

Kansas University freshman Jeff Withey and junior Tyrel Reed did not play in the scrimmage. Withey, a 7-foot transfer from the University of Arizona, is out two to four weeks with a sprained right thumb.

“I messed it up in a pickup game this week,” said Withey, who has a light protective cast on the thumb.

Reed has a bruised quad and is day-to-day.

Meanwhile, Mario Little played in the scrimmage. He has been cleared for full contact workouts following offseason surgery to repair a stress fracture in his lower-left leg.

Freshman guard Elijah Johnson, who has been plagued by a sore knee, scored two points. “He’s tired, sore,” KU guard Sherron Collins said. “He’s young but has a lot in his game you can’t teach. He’s real athletic but a little banged up now. He didn’t get a chance to play much.”

More on tryouts

Collins said he’s disappointed he had to pull out of USA Basketball’s World University Games tryouts because of family concerns. “I think hands-down I would have made the team,” he said. “But family issues back home ... I’ve got to be there for my family. I didn’t want to be out of the States if something happens with my family. Family is first.” He did not wish to discuss specifics of a family situation in his hometown of Chicago.

Summer plans

Cleveland Cavaliers power forward Darnell Jackson said he will be playing for the Cavaliers’ summer-league team in July in Las Vegas.

“They have been on me hard. They want me to play a bigger role next year. I’m all for it,” Jackson said. “I’ve been working out every day, working on the skills they want me to, getting better.”

Aaron Miles said he had not yet accepted an invitation to play for an NBA summer-league team. His goal remains making an NBA team.

This, that

Soph Travis Releford hit four shots in four tries, including a three, and had nine points. ... Freshman forward Thomas Robinson did not score with two steals and three boards. Former KU forward Christian Moody reports he’ll be attending KU medical school this fall. “I’ve got four more camp games to play in,” he joked, realizing med school is a multi-year program. Former University of Illinois guard Sergio McClain hit a three playing for the alumni.

Comments

KUSmurf 10 years, 11 months ago

Didn't realize Releford did so well from just seeing the scoring summary. 4 for 4 is not bad at all.

Also, Kudos to Moody.

Muska 10 years, 11 months ago

Sergio McClain? Say what? I understand Bill is loyal to his former players, but this scrimmage is for KANSAS basketball camp, not Ibiot camp.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 11 months ago

Disregard my last question.

Too early for me, no coffee yet/ I was thinking Mario even though it was talking about Aaron Miles. DUH!

Fred Davis 10 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was pretty cool when I saw that Self had one of his former players from Illinois come in to ball... Who cares if he didn't play for KU - if I'm a recruit and I see that Self is loyal to all the guys he's coached, regardless of school, that makes me consider playing for him that much more... Self is a good dude any way you slice it, I had the opportunity to interview him his second year here, and while I was still skeptical of him then - it was hard not to like him... When you recruit the way he does and has the bling to show for it - he can bring in whoever he wants.

Jason Leib 10 years, 11 months ago

Muska - I assume you were as insulted when Roy brought Michael Jordan to town for his camps?

gutter 10 years, 11 months ago

J_leib - BINGO! Sergio is a good guy and is a coach at a small college. This was a good opportunity for him to work with his former coach and play with some former KU greats. I only see good in this.

5a5quatch 10 years, 11 months ago

Didn't EJ have a banged up knee during his senior year? I sure hope this isn't going to be an injury to worry about going forward.

jhfan 10 years, 11 months ago

Did any of you notice the reference to Jeff Withey being 7' tall? The roster on this web page shows him as 6' 10". I raised the question with the sports department twice noting quotes from the articles on him that show him as 7'. I am assuming that he is that tall and the roster is wrong. I don't want to bug the athletic department but does anyone have a clue?

Brian Skelly 10 years, 11 months ago

Who cares if Sergio McClain was here? To me it says a lot about Self and his guys. Im sure they'll be times he has guys from ORU and Tulsa around too. Who cares?

Those camps bring folks from all over. It's good to see he hasnt forgotten his earlier recruits just because they didnt play at KU.

Thats a plus not minus.

FSUJHAWK 10 years, 11 months ago

Sherron, you're right, family does come first and you'll always be a part of the Jawhawk "Family!"

EJ's knee concerns me. Hopefully it isn't as bad as Lester Earl's.

JJHawq 10 years, 11 months ago

Bring back D Williams and let them learn from him - who cares if he went to Illinois.

Chris Teegarden 10 years, 11 months ago

jhfan

I read in an article I think on here but it may of been some where else. It had a small interview w/ Withey and he stated that he had grown and was up to 7' now but had been closer to 6'10" when he got on campus.

kerbyd 10 years, 11 months ago

I saw an article about Withey where he spoke about the pressure put on him by KU staff to bulk up. In it he stated he thought he was now 7 ft because he had to duck even further under doors when entering rooms, etc.