Originally published June 17, 2009 at 04:53p.m., updated June 18, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

KU basketball alumni outlast current players, 67-63

Withey to miss 2-4 weeks with sprained thumb

kansas alumnus Keith Langford, right, tries to get around Travis Releford for a bucket during the Bill Self Basketball Camp scrimmage Wednesday at Horejsi Center. Langford scored 20 points, and the Alumni team beat KU’s current players, 67-63.

Audio clips

KU basketball camp game, June 17

photo

Darnell Jackson, left, skies for a reverse layup, as Christian Moody, middle, and Marcus Morris position for a rebound Wednesday at Horejsi Center.

Alums outlast current players

The second week of Bill Self's basketball camp wrapped up this week with a scrimmage betwee current KU basketball players and Jayhawk alumni.

Point guard/team leader Aaron Miles gave a pep talk to Kansas University’s alumni basketball squad Wednesday afternoon at Horejsi Center.

“Before we went out there, Aaron said, ‘We’ve got to go ahead and beat the young guys. The young guys shouldn’t beat the vets.’ We took that to heart. It should always be like that,” Cleveland Cavaliers forward Darnell Jackson said after scoring 17 points in the alumni’s 67-63 victory over KU’s current players.

It marked a Bill Self camp season sweep for the alumni, who a week ago prevailed, 67-52, in a game in which the first team to 65 points won.

Last week, Billy Thomas scored 33 points for the alumni. He had a prior commitment Wednesday, leaving it up to Jackson, Keith Langford (20 points), Christian Moody (16) and floor general Miles (10) to steer the veterans to victory.

Miles, who played pro ball in Greece last season, hit a clutch, wide-open three to conclude the action.

He deflected the credit.

“Keith Langford drew the attention. Darnell Jackson set a flair screen. It was just good veteran basketball,” Miles said.

Indeed, Langford dribbled on the right side and passed to Jackson up top. Jackson dished to Miles, who took advantage of a Moody screen to swish an uncontested three from the left side.

“You’ve got to teach them that,” Miles said of ‘veteran basketball.’ “That’s what it is for us because they are really talented. We knew our roles today.”

KU senior Sherron Collins, who hit five three-pointers and pumped in 19 points, had a chance to win it for the current Jayhawks. His deep, straight-on three-point try — with the alumni up 64-63 — was right on target, but somehow didn’t fall.

“It was down. I think we need to check the net. I think there was something wrong with it,” Collins joked. “This game was more competitive (than last week). Nobody was shooting the lights out. Overall it’s a good learning experience, but the old guys beat us twice. That doesn’t sit well with us.”

The current Jayhawks were led by sophomore Marcus Morris, who hit seven of 10 shots and scored 20 points. Travis Releford and Cole Aldrich had nine and eight points, respectively.

“He is so athletic. That boy is going to be dangerous,” Jackson said of the 6-foot-8 Morris, who hit two threes in four tries.

Morris admits his confidence is booming.

“I’ve put in a lot of work. I try to lift two times a day, and I’m getting in the gym at least twice a day working on my three-pointer and foul shot,” Morris said. “I’m also working on getting to the basket.”

Collins has noticed the improvement.

“It’s every day, not just camp games,” Collins said. “I tip my cap to him. He’s working hard, and his brother (Markieff, four points) is working hard, doing everything they are supposed to do.”

Langford said the veterans definitely had to play well to earn the victory.

“I’ve got to see footage (of last week). I don’t know how Billy got 33 in that setting,” said Langford, who played in Italy last season and is headed to Russia the next two years to the tune of $2.6 million. “He must have been on fire.

“I’m just happy with the win. The camp game is about showing the young guys how they’ve got to compete. Sometimes the pickup games get a little lazy, but when the lights come on, they have to understand it’s a bit different than pickup. Guys come to compete.”

Comments

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

This is hilarious!

Our team that is ranked as a pre-season numero uno keeps getting clubbed by the grads.

The players on the team are going to be begging for the season to start, so they can start playing some easier teams. :-)

tstanlick1909 10 years, 9 months ago

wasnt marcus morris the leading scorer in the previous alumni game that took place last week

if hes finding easier ways to score, not only will we have a third scorer with xavier but a fourth with morris

the buildup to this season just gets better and better

tstanlick1909 10 years, 9 months ago

and to withey:

this is a great opportunity for you to practice with your left hand, this isnt high school anymore and being more versatile near the rim is going to keep defenders guessing, just a thought

and in regard to my earlier post, having multiple scorers on a team was what made us so good two years ago, i think that season we had eight different players lead the team in scoring throughout the season, maybe it was seven

but that is something we didnt see a lot of last year, if we can get high outputs from collins aldrich henry mcmorris tyshawn little EJ and T-Rob well be money

last year collins and aldrich averaged 19 and 15 pts a game respectively, in 08 we had 4 players scoring around 12 a game, and everyone else was in the 8-10 range

depth among other things wins titles

JJHAWK 10 years, 9 months ago

Lestor Earl - now there is a name from the past. Not one of Roy's finer selections. Isn't it amazing how many former players want to continue their association with KU and how Bill encourages family.

Those involved in the hiring of Coach Self definately deserve a pat or three on the back.

mjlindsm 10 years, 9 months ago

One key stat missing - how many brutal, powerful, emphatic dunks did Lester Earl miss off the back of the rim? I loved that guy! He has to be Kansas' career leader in missed dunks. Though I must be fair to Jeff Graves, who I believe had the longest missed dunk (NCAA tournament when we got knocked off by Georgia Tech; I remember I was there, but I don't remember if it was the Ga Tech game or the UAB game where he had the dunk that ended up at half court).

Did Thomas Robinson not play?

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

I'll tell you what.

The Henry bros best watch out. No team member is going to cede anything to them. The practices and scrimmages are going to be brutal. They best bring a fighting attitude because they are going to have work extremely hard for anything they get. It's gonna be fun seeing who beats out who.

Robert Brock 10 years, 9 months ago

Withey is going to get a lot of practice eating with his left hand. Gotta start somewhere.

KUSmurf 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, McMorris keeps proving he will be a huge key to our success this year.

Tim Chappell 10 years, 9 months ago

I was at the scrimmage; my 6th grader is at camp there this week. My thoughts:

Lester: Even with bad knees, he can still really get up.

Moody: Still one of my favorite Jayhawks.

Darnell: After watching him today, my only question "why didn't he see time in the postseason for the Cavs?"

Langford: Second half of the scrimmage the lane opened a little, and that's all he needed.

Cole: Dominating, but Lester guarded him most of the time.

Marcus: Very impressive. His step is so much quicker than last year, his hops look 6-10 inches higher, and he looked very comfortable starting the offense up top a few times. Wow, didn't mean this to sound like a man-crush, but fellas, he has made big strides in the offseason.

Robinson/Johnson: showed signs of things to come.

Sherron/MIles: provided some ankle-breaking moments on each other.

areyouserious 10 years, 9 months ago

Game winning 3??????? They won by four. How does that work?

KU1992 10 years, 9 months ago

tstanlick

if i am correct i think KU had seven or eight different guys lead the team in scoring again this year. I'm just busting your chops though. Your point is well taken. Two years ago it seemed like the entire team averaged from 9 to 12 points we were so balanced. That was not the case last year.

jayhawkr34 10 years, 9 months ago

why was there a ill alum playing? im confused

KanKu 10 years, 9 months ago

areyouserious-I believe they play the with the first to 67 points the winner, so I assume the score was 64-63, then Aaron hit the 3. But I wasn't there, so who the hell knows...

Morris stepping up his game is big for KU. The weakest link, IMO, on this team is at the power forward postion in it's totality. Morris seams to slow and skinny and out of position and Robinson is a freshman. But if this is a sign of things to come, then right on.

Whoever that cat was that put a link to the first scrimmage that was on Youtube, hook us up again!!!

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

"We kind of heard there's a lot of stuff going on in the media ... the team not being together, acting up, not following the rules," Gooden said.

"I think this trip was more to come out here and try to rejuvenate these guys, refresh their minds. This is tradition basketball. We're not going to let this slide. This is my school. I went here. My blood, sweat and tears are on that floor. My heart will always be here no matter what." Drew Gooden 05 after the alumni game.

First they worked the young blood Hawks, aka future National Champions, then they worked them in the locker room. Each one giving them the verbal lashing. It did them pretty good, don't you think? If only those studs had gotten theirs in 03.

Its good for these guys to get beat down by men. I only wish X had been there so he could see just how far he has to go. McMorris with 20! That's awesome. I think he may very well end up starting on the wing like the coach said he might. Contrary to your doubts, he is very apt. And X is going to feel pretty dam stupid when he gets here to find he has already lost his spot.

KanKu 10 years, 9 months ago

Science dammit, I need to edit my posts better....

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawk34: I was about to post about Sergio McClain when I saw your post. Sergio played on the 2001 Bill Self Illini team that crushed KU in the Sweet 16. He was a man among boys that game. It's a testament to Bill Self that his former players from a different school want to be a part of the KU family. The McClain's have a very good coaching tree and we may see Sergio on the KU staff in the future should one of the assistants take another job in the upcoming years. Good Stuff!

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Burnt Ends:

} Bill Self has just announced that the team is so deep he intends to redshirt Xavier Henry.

} Grad students in KU's molecular biology department have reportedly switched on several long recessive dinosaur genes in chicken DNA and created a red and blue feathered raptor that looks strikingly like a Jayhawk. They have named it Jayhawkasaurus. It will be on the sidelines with the cheerleaders this season.

} With Brady injured, Xavier a no show, and Mario Little just getting back from surgery, Bill Self has decided to move Marcus Morris to the three and exploit a little known loop hole in NCAA rules that allows bald assistants who were once the greatest player of their era have an extra season of eligibility. Manning will be lining up at the 4 this year. Would that it were so, would that it were so.

} Lester Earl's KU career was greatly limited by injuries, but he is a first stringer on the All Time Best KU Players with Reversible Names. Can you name another four?

} Ah, yes, Sergio McClain...easily the best Hispanic Scott player since Poncho McTavish.

} Is Christian Moody ever moody?

} Withey out with a sprained thumb? What's next? an acute hang nail attack?

} Reed out with a bruised quad...you mean a charley horse?

} If Joe Dooley departs for Holy Cross, who will Self add? There is a glut of unemployed Okie Ballers right now. Gillispie. Floyd. Sean Sutton. Eddie Sutton. Russ Pennell. But Self is already pretty well stocked with Okie Ballers. Floyd, a very good coach, who has not been able to recruit without a brief case of money, seems too hot to handle now. Pennell and Self didn't seem to have any fuzzy feelings for each other. Eddie has already gotten 800 wins. Sean might be a possibility, but how does he help with recruiting on the east coast, or anywhere but Oklahoma for that matter? Billy Gillispie has to be really tempting. Billy can clearly recruit Texas. Despite Billy's problems, it might be a right time for Self to help his old friend get his feet back under him. Still, something tells me Self might look for another east coast rooted assistant. Joe Dooley has clearly helped with the east coast in his years here. Frankly. I hope Joe just stays and becomes a career man at KU with Self.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

KanKu & areyouserious The article says they play to 65 points, and that Sherron missed a long three for the win with the score at 64-63, prior to Aaron hitting the 3. I wasn't there, but did read the article, which is how I know.

Gotta love that the current team can hang with the collection of pro-ballers/grads. Too bad some of the other grads couldn't make it. What a game that would be. Tradition is suc a wonderful thing.

It seems hard to imagine that Coach Dooley would leave KU with such a great season looming on the horizon to take over a mediocre team with so little time to prepare for the upcoming season. He fits from the east coast perspective, but I would certainly hope he has his sights set higher.

Coach Self wouldn't need to bring a new coach on staff if CD left, since he already did that last year when Danny slid from the non-coaching position to assistant. I'm spacing his name at the moment, came from SEMSU or whatever it is called now if I remember right. Maybe there is a non-coaching position for Sergio to be groomed into the next assistant.

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

This might not come as a surprise to most of you.....but this is exceptional news for KU.

Maybe losing Xavier won't be so bad next year......losing Aldrich and Collins will.

KU1992 10 years, 9 months ago

The shiver is a quality website. They post a lot of videos dealing with KU basketball and football. their homepage has the scrimmage highlights up right now with some interviews

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate (annonymous) says... } Reed out with a bruised quad...you mean a charley horse?

I tore a quad once - ended up with bruising down the back of my calf. A deep muscle injury is not the same thing as a cramp. Gotta let that heal properly or bad things happen.

B60 10 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of coaches Norm Roberts will probably be available next year.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkerjoel,

Thanks for the clarification. We used to call a charley horse any kind of a severe bruise, stretch, or tear to the quads. Times have probably changed and language is probably more accurate now.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

ralster,

Frankly, Norm Roberts, if he does not last at St. Johns, would be an great re-addition. His time on the ground in NYC makes him the best east coast Okie Baller that there is for accessing that market. Roberts was a terrific recruiter with Self.

But I hope Norm survives at St. Johns. I still think he's the right guy for that job.

kufankam 10 years, 9 months ago

for all the people who have been ripping on X and CJ, please take your cue from Self as to whether or not we should be worried that they are not here....

note: Self mentions that nothing is going to just be given to X, he will have to work for it. but Self appears pretty confident that X WILL work hard. Anyone that has ever seen much of X knows he is a hard worker and a good kid.

i am sure that X is certain he will play tons of minutes. i am also sure that X knows that he will play those minutes because he is willing to put in the work to earn them.

i only post this because for some reason, people who call themselves KU fans get on this board and rip into X as if he is an arrogant prima dona.. if they had a clue, they would know he is not.

Blake Post 10 years, 9 months ago

My friend for for 40 years lives in OKC. He played good HS B-ball. His son plays. He has been telling me about X since long before I read anything about him here. He didn't tell me about anyone else so I was sold before. Only positive vibes are helpful here.
Negatorians are really tiger lilies and mildcats.
Hawks rule. So does Billy! Go Billy! I only wish I was there one more time to see him light it up. Like when they pulverized Kentucky 150-95... oops, that was Terry Brown and company... but Billy would have done it if he was there! So would Ron Kellogg, Mr. 40-point Saturday nights without a three-point line! So many Hawks, so much to love. Let's pretend it's Valentines Day (as in Darnell Valentine) and just love this team all year. They will start off with some growing pains and then all will fear these Phoggers. And beat the cream out of the corn in football just to show em we mean business. I never get excited before the end of summer. Something is different these days. Be thankful... plenty to tailgate about while ksu and mu get wish sandwiches. It is so great to believe you have a chance to win every time you go out. Granted, it is a tough stretch against the top 2-3 in the south in football, but how exciting for FB and BB. Now is a great time to be a Jayhawk. Still have those Orange and Gold glows from 07-08. Like the song says: Aint never had too much fun.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Great to hear that Marcus Morris seems to be working like crazy this summer. Apparently it is paying off. If he's adding muscle AND finesse, kid is going to be dynamite next year.

Can anyone who was there say if the Morris twins threw down some dunks with authority? I really hope they can bring that to their respective games next year.

kufankam,

Nice link and good post. The "prima dona" label is completely infuriating to me. I understand that people may feel a little disappointed that he and his brother couldn't be there this summer -- myself included -- but to call either of them "difficult" or "prima donnas" is just ludicrous. What drives me the most crazy is that all of that stems from things that Xavier did not create nor had any control over. Calipari leaving. The recruiting circus (which was especially horrific this year). The fake post on twitter claiming that he was unhappy at KU. The Kentucky bloggers post. None of that is X's fault, yet it all sticks in people's minds, and now some people believe he "isn't worth the effort" (all quotes are things I've read on this site in the last week).

Perhaps if people stopped following the Henry's like a tabloid story, they may have different feelings about him. The disinformation age really can be a drag sometimes........

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

The Fighting Illini already despise us. Imagine what it would do if one of the proud members of their family joined Kansas, AND started pipelining ALL of the Chicago talent to Lawrence. There's a lot more where Julian and Sherron came from.

ObiWan 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate- The rest of the all-reversible name first team: Tyrel Reed Adonis Jordan Richard Scott Darrell Arthur

Honorable Mention: Eric Pauley Chris Piper Scooter Barry

Milhawkee 10 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget:

Michael Lee Mark Randall Aaron Miles Tyshawn Taylor Marcus Morris Carl Henry Billy Thomas Jacque Vaughn Paul Pierce Rex Walter(s)

There are more I'm sure.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Awesome lists of All Reversibles. They would make a great team!

ObiWan 10 years, 9 months ago

Haha, after I gave it more thought, more and more names popped into my head. I think Milhawkee nailed down most, at least the fairly recent ones. Sean Pearson would qualify as well, as I know at least one person with that first name. Obviously the team would be coached by Forrest Allen.