Monday, June 15, 2009

Collins to skip USA basketball team trials

Kansas guard Sherron Collins puts his hands over his head following the Jayhawks' 71-64 loss to Baylor Thursday, March 12, 2009 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Kansas University senior point guard Sherron Collins will not be attending USA Basketball's World University Games Team Trials, Collins said Monday at Bill Self's basketball camp in Horejsi Center.

“Because of family concerns, I don’t feel comfortable being away,” said Collins. He had accepted an invitation to the tryouts, which begin today in Colorado Springs, Colo., and run through June 25. Those who survive cuts will represent the U.S. at the Games July 2-12 in Belgrade, Serbia.

“I was really looking forward to going. But with my family situation taking place in Chicago, it would be hard for me to be out of the country at this time,” Collins added.

Collins — who hails from Chicago — did not wish to comment on the specifics of his family situation back home.

He will remain in Lawrence for both sessions of summer school and return to Chicago if needed to assist family members.

“I want to say Sherron was certainly looking forward to going,” Self said. “I definitely understand the situation. Being out of pocket for that period of time (in Serbia), I don’t know if he’d feel at ease because of some of the things going on in Chicago.

“He feels he can be of assistance if he stays back in the States. He could have been a huge asset to the team. Some things came up with his family. In his best interest, he remained close to them. I certainly understand, and USA Basketball understands,” added Self, who has been in contact with USA hoops officials.

Those to attend the trials are: James Anderson (Oklahoma State), Talor Battle (Penn State), Trevor Booker (Clemson), Craig Brackins (Iowa State), Da’Sean Butler (West Virginia), Corey Fisher (Villanova), Lazar Hayward (Marquette), Robbie Hummel (Purdue), JaJuan Johnson (Purdue), Quincy Pondexter (Washington), Deon Thompson (North Carolina), Mike Tisdale (Illinois), Evan Turner (Ohio State), Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State) and Nic Wise (Arizona).

Meanwhile, KU sophomore guard Tyshawn Taylor leaves today for the USA Under 19 National Team trials in Colorado Springs. Taylor will compete with 16 other players for 12 spots on the team to compete in the FIBA U19 World Championships July 2-12 in New Zealand.

After three days of practice, USA Basketball will announce finalists for the 12-member team. Training camp will begin Friday with the 12-member USA roster being announced prior to the team’s departure for New Zealand on June 25.

“There are a lot of great players who are going to be there. It’s an honor to be included,” Taylor said. “I’m excited to get to try out, but now I’ve got to make the team. I’ve got to work really hard to make the team.”

He’ll be joined at the trials by: Ashton Gibbs and Dante Taylor (Pitt), Shelvin Mack (Butler), Drew Gordon (UCLA), Kenny Boynton (Florida), Darryl Bryant (West Virginia), DeAngelo Casto (Washington State), Seth Curry (Duke), Gordon Hayward (Butler), Darius Miller (Kentucky), Arnett Moultrie (UTEP), Ralph Sampson III (Minnesota), John Shurna (Northwestern), Howard Thompkins (Georgia ), Klay Thompson (Washington State) and Terrico White (Mississippi).

KU junior center Cole Aldrich declined an invitation to try out for the World Games team.

“I thought the summer would be a great opportunity for myself to be here (KU) and progress as a player, get better and stronger,” Aldrich said. “It was the main thing I wanted to do in the summer — be in the weight room. It definitely took me a while to decide what I’d do.”

Aldrich also wanted to take several summer school classes. He’ll be one semester from graduating after his junior year, which figures to be his final year at KU.

Comments

Andy Hess 11 years, 3 months ago

family first, Sherron. basketball will be there later on.

sdoyel 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm actually glad Sherron isn't doing it. 1- Family. 2- Risk of injury. As long as he reports in tip top shape (same goes for the Henry boy's) I'm okay with it....

Ken Tomberlin 11 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely family first. Making that decision shows maturity.

kansaspike 11 years, 3 months ago

Sherron could go down as one of the best leaders to put on the uniform. He came back for a lot of reasons this year, none more important than making decisions like this.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 3 months ago

Gotta like the reasons all-around, tho the circumstances behind the reason for Sherron have got to be tough. I certainly hope the coaches or someone can come along side him for a bit of extra suport - not a good time to be the lone senior on such a young team. In some ways it reminds be of Darnell. Sherron's 'hood can be an oppressive, unforgiving place.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 3 months ago

I agree with all of you. Good decision by Sherron because:

He is taking care of Family. He is taking care of Personal Health by reducing injury risk and pacing activity. He is taking care of School with extra summer classes. He is taking care of Basketball by focusing on KU, team and 2009-10 upcoming season.

...and in that order of importance.

KGphoto 11 years, 3 months ago

Can't wait for the remaining schedule to be released. Cuz I am NOT missing Sherron's senior night. This man is earning a night of his very own. We should even bring back the roses and delay the game. Just once more.

Maturity. Experience. Dedication. Talent. The puzzle is coming together, and Self doesn't need the box cover. Sherron and Cole envision it too. A photo collage of championship and forever moments. An exuberant team hoisting a trophy. Another championship banner and two new player names in the rafters. Adoring fans. All of this is forever. Right now is forever.

Hey I'm not saying the Henry's should be here. I've openly stated they should be able to do their own summer thing. But now I'm saying.

Henry boys are you CRAZY!?!

You don't want to miss one moment of this season. Not this season. Maybe a different season. Maybe if you were in Memphis or Kentucky. But not here. Not now.

jayhawkboogeyman 11 years, 3 months ago

I love to see Sherron maturing like this. He came from a rough place and has probably made some bad choices in his youth, but he is at Kansas all four years to earn a degree and become not just a great player but a great person, and part of that is taking care of his family and education over chances to shine as an athlete. I had my doubts about his character early in his KU career, but the way he has matured has proven that I, and I bet a lot of other Jayhawks, were wrong about him. He comes from a place unimaginable to us in Lawrence, and yet he has become the heart and soul of the team, and I am proud to have him as the face of the University next year. Hands down my favorite Jayhawk, because he earned it on and off the floor.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 3 months ago

It really is too bad that Sherron won't be able to compete for the team in Serbia. I hope it's nothing too serious with his family. Sherron is definitely going to miss out on this experience. I was over there right after the Milosevic turmoil, but it's still a great country whether you're in Belgrade or up in the hills of Montenegro. He was going to have a great opportunity to make the team, but nothing is ever guranteed (kinda like a couple years ago when Chalmers and Collins were cut). As long as Collins made the USA team, I think he and the rest of Team USA were going to be in line for a rude awakening. Because of the talent level over there, I think the experience could have humbled Collins a little and showed him where he really needs to work on his game. Definitely wouldn't have been a cakewalk, that is for sure.

Gary McCullough 11 years, 3 months ago

Cole has practically declared for next year's draft. This is going to be a heck of a year. Cole and Sherron will take this team on their backs all the way to the Final Four!

mandomax 11 years, 3 months ago

Cole is so classy; gave up his nearly guaranteed first round pick to come back to KU and bring home a big trophy, and due to his diligence in the classroom during the season and summers, he will earn a university diploma, possibly even by the end of summer 2010. Some of the OAD's out there should look to him for the answer to "Why should I stay 3 years?" He'll be so lottery, might as well stock up on Powerball tickets now

David Howell 11 years, 3 months ago

Sherron is making the right decision. Also, it's not that I don't want to see him excel, but all-star teams like that can be good and bad. Bad as in he could get hurt and we don't want that prior to his senior banner year !

As for the Henry boys, well they are screwing up by not coming up for the sumer. CJ especially since he has been out of organized basketball for so long. He can rehab, start running when medical says so, and learn the system. Xavier, because if he is one & done (I have my doubts) he should want to spend every moment he can on campus enjoying college life. Figuring out the campus, getting to know his fellow players, and of course all the girls while he has some spare time on his hands.

To each his own, but they are going to feel like a 5th wheel for some time and I can't blame the rest of the players if they don't accept them initially.

Matt Bowers 11 years, 3 months ago

It is not easy to be the leader and make the right decision, but in this case, Collins has demonstrated the ability to do both. I know I speak for everyone when I say all the best to you and yours. Hope the situation improves. Looking forward to watching you as a senior, especially since I thought that you would not be around after your sophomore year.

Rock Chalk.