Monday, June 8, 2009

KU football gets another game on TV, and it’s at 11:30

Reader poll

Which KU football game time do you prefer?

• 11:30 a.m. 10% 216 votes
  • 2:30 p.m. 47% 935 votes
  • 6:30 p.m. 41% 829 votes

1980 total votes.

The Big 12 Conference announced two more TV games Monday morning and the Kansas Jayhawks picked up one of them, at the not-always-popular-with-fans time of 11:30 a.m.

KU will face Southern Mississippi at 11:30 a.m. in a game that will be televised by Fox Sports Net.

With this morning's announcement, three of KU's four nonconference games will be televised.

Comments

Jayhawk1116 5 years, 3 months ago

Hooray. I'm sure EVERYONE IN THE COUNTRY will watch these 11:30 am games. What a great recruiting tool! Prospective recruits will still be in bed! Any marketing geniuses think of that?

Anyone have any tailgating tips on how to grill eggs and hashbrowns, or should I just go the breakfast cereal route and a strong cup of coffee? Morning games suck.

Rivethead 5 years, 3 months ago

If a prospective recruit is still in bed at 11:30am.......I highly doubt that kid would have the work ethic to survive a D1 program anyway.

As for tailgating tips for you.......how about take 2 Midol and go watch golf.

kingpin 5 years, 3 months ago

LOL nice Rivethead... I'll take television appearances anytime over untelevised 6 pm contests... and apparently KUAC agrees with me.

TaCityHawkFan 5 years, 3 months ago

It sure as hell beats listening to it on the radio! When are they going to start announcing which Big 12 matchups will be Televised?

Rivethead... love the midol comment!

MitchumMan 5 years, 3 months ago

Jayhawk1116, you tell me which one is better... A televised game at 11:30 or a game not televised at all? It's common sense which one is better. Maybe you should try not being so critical and just support your hawks. As for what to eat - Try making some breakfast burritos the night before and then warm them up on the grill in the morning.

Oh and change your ID to Negative Nancy. Geez!!!

Topcitykid10 5 years, 3 months ago

11:30 is not to bad of a start, trust me cause all last season home games were at that time. Any tailgating time is always a great time and plus its for KU football, can't beat that.

Rock Chalk

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

All 3 D1 ooc games are being televised! And not one of them would really be considered a quality opponent. That is a huge step forward for the program. HUGE!

And yes, HS kids are out of bed before noon on a Saturday, and hopefully are still in a semi-hyped mode from their FB victory the night before. It is great that they have the opportunity to see the game, and that the coaching staff can point to the coverage and hopefully more sold out games to combat the negatives other coaches/fans will try to present.

Wouldn't it also be a side benefit that the team would have that much better video coverage to review after the game? And news stations (ESPN, etc.) will actually have highlights to show the rest of the nation that don't get to see the game. Good PR is Good PR.

Love the enthusiasm and creativity of the majority of the fans here. Even if you didn't make the burritoes the night before, it is easy to have the ingredients prepped and prepare an egg scramble on the spot. We do it by the side of a river all the time, though I'd take the shadow of the Campanile with the sun coming over the hills even over a river if I could - Road trips from CA are not in the budget these days. Mmm Mmm! What other suggestions are there for tailgating brunch for those creatively challenged tailgaters?

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

Does having a game televised provide extra income to the uni?

jbsd31 5 years, 3 months ago

An early game on TV is better than no TV at all...even for us west coasters. I found a KU bar out here that serves a good breakfast and a solid bloody mary for all the 9:30 kickoffs last year. Looks like a morning surf and a KU win is on the calendar for my September Saturdays. Rock Chalk

thiknthinhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if "Debbie Downer" uses Midol?

Topcitykid10 5 years, 3 months ago

"Looks like a morning surf and a KU win is on the calendar for my September Saturdays."

Wow that sounds awesome and yes indeed it will be.

sdoyel 5 years, 3 months ago

Cartoons or KU football. Hmmm....

Kyle Cornish 5 years, 3 months ago

dagger108 - I will argue that two of these "would really be considered a quality opponent." Southern Miss and UTEP are both quality opponents with strong records and history. Southern Miss is going to be a beast and I have already been reading that people think they could be the surprise team (aka the Utah) of this year. Trust me when I say we will be lucky to come out with wins at UTEP and over Southern Miss. I would not be surprised at all to see us drop one of those games. Those teams are really good.

hollpat 5 years, 3 months ago

as a KU fan stuck in Chicago, ill adjust to the gametime as long as theyre on TV.

FlaHawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Living on the West Coast of FLORIDA a 1130 KO (CDT) is 1230 EDT. No problem here.

SoMiss and UTEP are very close to level of SoFla in 2006 and 2008. They are two quality opponents which is one more than KU has played non-conference in a long time.

They will help RPI at bowl time.

Can not wait!

GO HAWKS!

Randy Glenn 5 years, 3 months ago

Get up at 4am so we can leave by 5; drive 5 hours plus from Garden City to get there in time to throw something on the grill and have a drink or ten is what have to do for all early games. Granted it`s a bitch but we will keep doing it because we are KU Fans. ROCK CHALK

LAJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I'll gladly get pumped up for a 9:30 start knowing that I get to see 3 non-con games this year. Simply fantastic. With any luck, I'll be able to see most of the conference games as well. Keep 'em coming, athletic department. The LA fan base is loving it!

This will certainly help to alleviate the USC insanity that we all have to deal with out here..........

Kyle Crenshaw 5 years, 3 months ago

really, even though it sucks for tailgating... we need to realize not everyone lives in lawrence and cannot go to the games. as someone who lives in southwest missouri i cant make it, and because of my location i cant listen to it on the radio. i will gladly take an 11:30 televised game over a 6 pm non televised game any day! besides, did you guys ever think that maybe 11:30 was the only time available? a game with southern miss wouldnt make primetime tv so ill take this! and plus, most high school football players will have practice early saturday morning anyways so they will be awake

PinkelsVisor 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe you guys. We beat MU (a heavy favorite) last year, dominated a Big 10 (well, really 11) team in our bowl game, won the Orange Bowl two years ago, went 12-1, had a first round draft pick and you guys are thanking the Gods of the Big Twelve (actually 12) for giving us a televised game against Duke and a bunch of 11:00 games? Mu's playin' in prime time (on ESPN), Nebraska is playin' in prime time (ESPN), Colorado is playin' in prime time (on ESPN), even K-State is playin' in prime time (FSN) - all teams we are expecting to have a better record than - and you guys are ecstatic with an 11:00 game on Versus??? Where's the pride, man? Give me some real fans.

jmsuther 5 years, 3 months ago

This is some fing bull sh it... see you all at the game

farnamjayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Bacon, eggs,a bloody mary and KU football at 11:30.......I'm okay with that. It's another game I get to see here in Omaha and I know that other people here who are not KU fans watch the early games because they like college football and it's what they do on Saturdays in the fall. It's exposure and I say that with full pride. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU.

speedy 5 years, 3 months ago

anyone sure that fox will not split the country and show a west coast game at the same time? cbs does that all of the time. oh well theres always the computer and scream at the refs. from 1000 miles away. go hawks!

Appoggiatura 5 years, 3 months ago

I agree with the visor to the extent that everybody here is s*its and giggles over getting a TV game, when it seems like everyone else seems to get primetime or at least 2:30 games (CU doesn't really count, b/c some of those games are on Thursday and Friday). All these early games are becoming comical and it's frustrating not from a tailgating standpoint, but really for those of us that commute quite a ways to the game and can't leave on Friday. BUT...just maybe with some success, we will see later games during Big 12 play, though you can likely pencil ISU and KSU as 11:30 games (think about it, makes sense). Then again, knowing KUAC, they'll find a way to get us a 10 a.m. game...

KGphoto 5 years, 3 months ago

The negative: I am a little annoyed with the lack of coverage. But hey, PinkelsVisor, the reason MU, CU, NU, and K-State are getting the coverage is because they are playing schools with recognizable names like Illinois, V. Tech, W. Virginia and UCLA. Nobody is going to pick UTEP, Duke or S. Miss over them.

The positive: Since the game starts at 10:30 in Denver, I have an excuse to start drinking at 8:30. And if you can have pancakes at IHOP at 3, I have no problem grilling brats and burgers at 9. Then after a few drunk dials to gloat over a 28 point win and 5 Reesing TDs, I'll be sleeping it off under a tree in the park by 4pm.

Wake up for highlights on ESPN, and back to bed. That's a good Saturday.

mdfraz 5 years, 3 months ago

PinkelsVisor (MU fan in hiding???), read KG's first paragraph. Wanna know why we aren't on primetime? Because nobody cares to watch a game with Duke on primetime TV. Find Nebraska's weakest non-con opponent; are they on primetime TV? Doubt it.

IF you are a KU fan, which I am somewhat dubious of, how old are you and how long have you paid attention to KU football? Because if it's more than a few years, I'd be surprised. We are trying to build a program here, and it takes time and patience. The fact is, 3 or 4 years ago, or non-con games weren't on ANY TV, so this is an improvement. Just because we have one really good year and one soild year doesn't mean we get to unseat programs that have been powerhouses for years. TV exposure at 11:00 helps build our image regionally and nationally, hopefully bringing in more money and good recruits, which helps us be more successful and attractive for better TV slots. Quit whining.

KGphoto 5 years, 3 months ago

Here's an mildly related nugget.

Most of you have probably already found this, but...

Reesing's Pieces. Some national coverage.

justanotherfan 5 years, 3 months ago

BTW,

Lots of high school football players are out of bed on Saturday mornings. A lot of them have film on Saturdays after their Friday night games, so its doubtful that they would still be in bed at 11:30.

I agree with mdfraz and others that any TV, which a few years ago would have been unthinkable, is better than no TV. We haven't even won our division yet. We are still building up. Don't assume a couple bowl victories in a row puts us in a prime time national TV slot every weekend.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 3 months ago

Ha, ha! The Southern Miss game time has just been changed to 11:00am. That ought to ruffle a few more feathers here!